the beatles

13»

Comments

• if for nothing else, the Beatles rule for the Magical Mystery Tour movie. Where the hell was the oscar nomination for that? how about the wacky general that Paul converses with? Jesus Christ that movie is a trip
    2000: Camden 1, 2003: Philly, State College, Camden 1, MSG 2, Hershey, 2004: Reading, 2005: Philly, 2006: Camden 1, 2, East Rutherford 1, 2007: Lollapalooza, 2008: Camden 1, Washington D.C., MSG 1, 2, 2009: Philly 1, 2, 3, 4, 2010: Bristol, MSG 2, 2011: PJ20 1, 2, 2012: Made In America, 2013: Brooklyn 2, Philly 2, 2014: Denver, 2015: Global Citizen Festival, 2016: Philly 2, Fenway 1, 2018: Fenway 1, 2, 2021: Sea. Hear. Now. 2022: Camden, 2024Philly 2

Pearl Jam bootlegs:
    http://wegotshit.blogspot.com
  • karma defectkarma defect Posts: 5,483
    seriously, is there such a thing as TOO much of a good thing? oh my, i cannot get enough of abbey road today, but they are just completely brilliant anyway you slice it.

cmon now, show your love . . . :D

Oh yeah alright, are you gonna be in my dreams tonight?
    And in the end the love you take is equal to the love you make.
    Ah –

I think I love Abbey road the best.
    « One man's glory is another man's hell.
    You’re on the outside, never bound by such a spell.
    Together in the darkness, alone in the light.
    I took it upon me to be yours, Timmy,
    I’ll lead your angels and demons at play tonight......»
  • decides2dreamdecides2dream Posts: 14,977
    Hey Dreams, did you check out Rodriguez ?

hey there. i checked out the site you linked and read a bit, but haven't checked out any music. :o
    I think I love Abbey road the best.

it's kinda like choosing a favorite pet, but yea...i think abbey road may *just* edge em all out, but man...for me anyway, there's no such thing as an unloved beatles album. pure musical brilliance. :)
    Stay with me...
    Let's just breathe...

I am myself like you somehow

• Jerzdevil wrote:
    Don't like much of the Beatles' work and I would say I have a good taste in music.

Ahem.
  • lucylespianlucylespian Posts: 2,403
    Ahem.

Hey CArrots, do you sub-contract for "they who run the universe" ??
    Music is not a competetion.
  • UKDaveUKDave Posts: 5,557
    Rubber Soul ffs!!!! :o
    Astoria Crew
    Troubled souls unite, we got ourselves tonight...
    Astoria, Dublin, Reading 06
    Katowice, Wembley 07
    SBE, Manchester, O2 09
    Hyde Park 10
    Manchester 1&2 12
    This is just g'bye for now...
  • KlumpieKlumpie Posts: 2,649
    Sgt.Pepper and Abbey Road are good/great albums. The White Album, Magical Mystery Tour, Revolver and Rubber Soul are good. And the rest of the albums are Ok.
  • I think i have pretty much all of the beatles albums on my itunes (some bought, some borrowed), but whenever i decide to do the random thing, and a beatles song comes on, i nearly always hit skip .... i just cant get into them to listen to. but they are great for a singalong as everyone knows most of the words.
  • brain of cbrain of c Posts: 5,213
    rain

i don't mind
  • Hey CArrots, do you sub-contract for "they who run the universe" ??

Is my opinion that authoritative-sounding? ;)
  • I have the cd 1.

:D
  • The song rain
    is great someone just gave me a cd with a bunch of songs and that is on their

i forget what they called this album
    Some people have religion I have Pearl Jam.

no more shows
  • alobaralobar Posts: 310
    I just want to say I love the Beatles. They are so great.

I'm listening to the song, "Girl" from Rubber Soul right now. What an amazing song!
    "I wanna believe in the mercy of the world again."

WAR + MAGIC BEANS = PEACE
  • kdpjamkdpjam Posts: 2,303
    alobar wrote:
    I just want to say I love the Beatles. They are so great.

I'm listening to the song, "Girl" from Rubber Soul right now. What an amazing song!

ooh... alobar, is it the record? you can hear all the sounds, even ringo tapping his knees!
    lay down all thoughts; surrender to the void
    ~it is shining it is shining~
    Is my opinion that authoritative-sounding? ;)

Let's just say that when you "know" something, there does not seem to be any room for any other opinion.

BTW, did the punks ever produce anything of great beauty or value, or did they just tear shit down ??
  • fadafada Posts: 1,032
    It's like if you're British it's expected you should be 'proud of our boys', I don't know it's just the media I guess but it irritates me. There's something about Paul McCartney that really bugs me too, he always seems so smug. Also my mate was telling me the other day how he heard an interview with Paul McCartney where he was slagging off modern music and apparently he called Nirvana one of the most overrated bands ever. Which is a bit hypocritical since I saw him on an old tv programme called TFI Friday and when he was asked if there was any other band he could have been in, he said Nirvana.

He was right. Nirvana were shite.
  • fadafada Posts: 1,032
    Though I don't listen to the Beatles like I used, their brilliance cannot be understated. There's alot of bands that I really like- REM, PJ, Miles, U2, etc, but the Beatles were really revolutionary. Listen to Rubber Soul, and say to yourself, "damn, this shit was written 41 years ago." The Beatles took music from black and white to color.

I love all the Beatles in their own way, but my brother said that they are dying off in order of coolness. In other words, he thinks John was the coolest, the George, etc.

I love Paul as a musician, but his last choice for a wife was not the best one.
    I think that it was better than John's second choice

• BTW, did the punks ever produce anything of great beauty or value, or did they just tear shit down ??

Tearing shit down can be beautiful, and socially valuable, if it works against staid convention. When Bill Haley and the Comets' film "Blackboard Jungle" was first shown in cinemas, fans rioted and ripped up seats: crooners were out. When The Beatles played their first UK tour in 1963, out went the Beverley Sisters and other regulars of the media establishment. After The Beatles were awarded MBEs, they refuted safe convention, got into drugs, protested against wars, and John sent back his MBE partly because of British involvement in Biafra andsupport for the Vietnam war, and - in jest - because his heroin song "Cold Turkey" was slipping down the charts. These artists were iconoclasts, true to the spirit of novelty and rebellion so central to what rock used to be about, in cultural terms.

A lot of early seventies music constituted the triumph of aesthetic and technical proficiency as an ideological domination effect: I mean, ELP? Yes? Genesis? Floyd's "Wish You Were Here" (the title track musically plagiarises Van Morrison's "Almost Independence Day")? Snoresville. Punk restored some of the beautiful challenge of rock, and reduced the sounds of the day to a basic formula. We saw the rebirth of the three minute masterpiece, and the re-emergence of the single. This is something The Beatles had championed: to say more in three minutes than most contemporary bands said in an entire career.

Here's a punk song that I think is beautiful, and in the songwriting spirit of Lennon:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=t4NiFnDhrrA

(The lyric empowers people with disabilities; a songwriting achievement that advances on Lennon's "Crippled Inside." In Ian Dury's case, he was writing as someone labelled disabled.)
    Trouble is though, at some point you have to build up things of beauty. I f all you do is tear shit down, pretty soon all you have is nothing.
    I fail to see what was socially valuable about the destruction of a cinema just because the movie was good. I understand though that it probbaly occurred because of the movie probably triggered a rush of repressed energy.
    If there had been no cinema, where would they have watched the movie?
    The universe tends to maximum disorder ( basic principle of entropy), so tearing shit down is so easy and a total cop-out, nothing really to be proud of.
    I think the comments you made about the Beatles are pretty irrelevant. They were builders, not destroyers, and sending back their MBE's was a rebellious act they were entitiled to because it was THEIR MBE's, not anyone elses. Getting into drugs is hardly an act of rebellion or socail consceince, just a dumb mistake people make for ther same reason dogs lick their balls. And really it just a form of following convention, just a different drum providing the beat. So rock star !!
    Sorry couldn't watch teh song, internet connection way too slow.
    Give me the majesty of Zeppelin anyday over the self-indulgent de-construction of punk. Proficiency over disregard !!
    I'm sure teh Beatles took pride in their musical proficiency.
  • brain of cbrain of c Posts: 5,213
    perfect post........except for the block heads

god, i suck.......