the beatles

Comments

• Beatles, Shmeatles, how boring is this fucking band, my god, I nearly died the last time I heard a Beatles song!!
    Funny bastards they were, but great music, NEVER !!
    Cute trite forgettable little pop songs, the whole world must have been bored out of it's collective brain to go bananas over these guys.

I think I'm gonna go choke on a carrot !!

Happiness is a Warm Gun is a cute trite forgettable pop song? lol. I guess I should let you know that the Beatles.....yes THE BEATLES invented HEAVY METAL with Helter Skelter. That was the hardest rock track ever made until Led Zeppelin's first album came out!

they simply did everything that could be done
    2000: Camden 1, 2003: Philly, State College, Camden 1, MSG 2, Hershey, 2004: Reading, 2005: Philly, 2006: Camden 1, 2, East Rutherford 1, 2007: Lollapalooza, 2008: Camden 1, Washington D.C., MSG 1, 2, 2009: Philly 1, 2, 3, 4, 2010: Bristol, MSG 2, 2011: PJ20 1, 2, 2012: Made In America, 2013: Brooklyn 2, Philly 2, 2014: Denver, 2015: Global Citizen Festival, 2016: Philly 2, Fenway 1, 2018: Fenway 1, 2, 2021: Sea. Hear. Now. 2022: Camden, 2024Philly 2

Pearl Jam bootlegs:
    http://wegotshit.blogspot.com
  • catefrancescatefrances Posts: 29,003
    Read the book "Revolution in the Head", by Ian MacDonald.

http://www.siue.edu/~aho/musov/altfan/revhead.html

will there be a test sir? :)
    hear my name
    take a good look
    this could be the day
    hold my hand
    lie beside me
    i just need to say
  • EchoesEchoes Posts: 1,279
    Happiness is a Warm Gun is a cute trite forgettable pop song? lol. I guess I should let you know that the Beatles.....yes THE BEATLES invented HEAVY METAL with Helter Skelter. That was the hardest rock track ever made until Led Zeppelin's first album came out!

they simply did everything that could be done

haha lol
    printf("shiver in eternal darkness\n");
  • btw - i don't know why it's a 'british' assumption? :confused: i am not british. i don't think anyone 'should' be a beatles fan, although as i said..i personally cannot fathom why one wouldn't be. ;) seriously tho, i simply think...one should at the very least, the important musical contributions made by them. one may do so objectively, while still disliking the music. and hey coolness on the stones and zeppelin love...i too feel that as well. i don't think any has to be mutually exclusive. and, no where did i at all suggest the beatles are the *best*....i simply was showin' some lovin' for a band that was most definitely ground-breaking at the very least...and sure, who's music i personally adore.

It's like if you're British it's expected you should be 'proud of our boys', I don't know it's just the media I guess but it irritates me. There's something about Paul McCartney that really bugs me too, he always seems so smug. Also my mate was telling me the other day how he heard an interview with Paul McCartney where he was slagging off modern music and apparently he called Nirvana one of the most overrated bands ever. Which is a bit hypocritical since I saw him on an old tv programme called TFI Friday and when he was asked if there was any other band he could have been in, he said Nirvana.
  • the beatles are one of my top five bands of all time......

however, even their best albums are let down by the odd track [usually the token ringo number or macca's lyrical complacency:

rubber soul - what goes on
    white album - don't pass me by
    abbey road - maxwell's silver hammer
    revolver - yellow submarine
  • i can't stand the beatles.

OVERRATED.
  • decides2dreamdecides2dream Posts: 14,977
    You know, that's about the closest anyone on these forums have come to acknowledging the validity of a point of view they did not agree with.

I am more than happy for anyone to love the Beatles, all power to you dudes !! I am old and brain dead, not young and ignorant, but the unyielding opinionation was starting to bug me, so I just had to rattle the cage !!
    I think the monkey song kinda re-inforces my point about dopey lyrics, adn seriously, how many times can you repeat teh same lines in a song and still expect credibility, reminds me of Simple Minds from teh Eighties, more like Simple Songs, like "Don't you, forget about me" repeated about 50 times, or "love song ", repeated about 100.

seriously, when presented with a valid, albeit opposing, point of view...i have nothing but respect. i really didn't get much of a 'point of view' from your original post....beyond "trite, poppy songs"...and yea, i agreed i completely understand people not liking the music, BUT to dismiss it as 'trite'...is simply incorrect. hey, we're all entitled to our opinions, but certain things, yea...opinions can just be wrong. don't like the music...cool.......but to not appreciate and/or at least acknowledge the contributions made to music by the beatles, yea...that's not just something i disagree with with, but more like historically inaccurate.

anyhoo...in regards to saying it was "unyielding opinionation"...well ain't that what most of all this is about, sharing opinions...just as you did? however, beyond that....my first post clearly stated..."share the love"...so kinda obvious it was all about praise. cool to share a different perspective, but a thread with 'share the love' in the first post should be a tipoff that the main idea is/was...well, to share the love. :)

enjoy!

You've Got to Hide Your Love Away

Here I stand with head in hand,
    Turn my face to the wall.
    If she’s gone I can’t go on,
    Feeling two foot small.
    Ev’rywhere people stare,
    Each and ev’ry day.
    I can see them laugh at me,
    And I hear them say.
    Hey, you’ve got hide your love away.
    How can I even try,
    I can never win,
    Hearing them, seeing them,
    In the state I’m in.
    How could she say to me
    Love will find a way?
    Gather round all you clowns
    Let me hear you say.

;)

btw - fins, thanks for the book recommendation. looks quite intriguing.

facepollution, again, i hear ya. however, you are now allowing the media, and/or your idea of the 'person' behind the music...cloud your view of the music. i know people who think ed is all that you describe about paul....so yea, whateva. i hear much discussion about bono in a similar vein. now whether i agree with any of those opinions is completely irrelevant in weighly the validity and value of the MUSIC...and that's what it should always be about; not the media, not personal egos/agendas, and not even the success of the band/artists...but simply, the music.
    Stay with me...
    Let's just breathe...

I am myself like you somehow

• wolfbearwolfbear Posts: 3,965
    Wow! I haven't revisited this thread for a while. I'm truly sorry if I offended. Thanks Dreams for sticking up for me. :) What I guess I was trying to convey, is the Beatles influence was not only in their music, but the way it was produced. It was a great advancement at the time and a new way of recording, etc. You don't have to like the music, but you probably like the outcome. :)
    "I'd rather be with an animal." "Those that can be trusted can change their mind." "The in between is mine." "If I don't lose control, explore and not explode, a preternatural other plane with the power to maintain." "Yeh this is living." "Life is what you make it."
  • wolfbear wrote:
    Wow! I haven't revisited this thread for a while. I'm truly sorry if I offended. Thanks Dreams for sticking up for me. :) What I guess I was trying to convey, is the Beatles influence was not only in their music, but the way it was produced. It was a great advancement at the time and a new way of recording, etc. You don't have to like the music, but you probably like the outcome. :)

the beetles did what the others before them didnt

they used their creativity

they mixed up the norm and the outcome just kept geting better and better.

there were others but not on the level of the beetles.

these guys had the voices
    Some people have religion I have Pearl Jam.

no more shows
  • lucylespianlucylespian Posts: 2,403
    Hey Dreams,
    I am sorry I picked on your thread to vent on "unyielding opinionation", I probably should have stuck that somewhere else. It is more on other topics that it was getting up my nose. I guess "sharing opinions" was what I thought the forums was about, rather than "opposing opinions", which is what I seem to mostly read.
    I suppose that I thought that PJ fans would be more open minded about stuff in general, and I have been disappointed.
    Sorry again dude, rock on the Beatles. I did really enjoy watching the early interviews with them recently. Funny bastards !!
    Music is not a competetion.
  • it is not an opinion...it is a fact, john, paul, george, ringo, and you must not forget the genius george martin, did more for music in 6 years then any person or group of persons will ever do...just think if they lasted as a band until december 8, 1980...then it wouldn't even be a discussion or debate...i personally believe that there are at least 15 beatles songs that everyone should think "that is a great fucking song"...if you like music and can say you hate the beatles then your taste in music is shit...it is like saying that shakespeare was a shitty writer...bottom line
    "I never make plans that far ahead"
  • wolfbearwolfbear Posts: 3,965
    Hey Dreams,
    I am sorry I picked on your thread to vent on "unyielding opinionation", I probably should have stuck that somewhere else. It is more on other topics that it was getting up my nose. I guess "sharing opinions" was what I thought the forums was about, rather than "opposing opinions", which is what I seem to mostly read.
    I suppose that I thought that PJ fans would be more open minded about stuff in general, and I have been disappointed.
    Sorry again dude, rock on the Beatles. I did really enjoy watching the early interviews with them recently. Funny bastards !!
    Hey, this forum is about sharing! I just felt a need to respond to the "schmeadle" or what ever it was comment. Again, sorry if I offended. I have learned a lot from this board, and it's all good. And yes, the Beatles were very funny. Miss John particularly. He was a great guy. :)
    "I'd rather be with an animal." "Those that can be trusted can change their mind." "The in between is mine." "If I don't lose control, explore and not explode, a preternatural other plane with the power to maintain." "Yeh this is living." "Life is what you make it."
  • kdpjamkdpjam Posts: 2,303
    john's b-day is in four more days. ;) oct 9th.
    paul's is june 18th.
    george's is feb. 25th.
    ringo's is july 7th.

and how old is george martin now?
    lay down all thoughts; surrender to the void
    ~it is shining it is shining~
    Hey Dreams,

no worries! :)
    no offense taken. i merely responded to your further post to explain WHY i did say what i did about your original post. i try at the very least, to always remain respectful...even if i may vehemently disagree with one's opinion...but yea, while i can respect one disliking the music...their contribution to the world of music just really isn't a matter of opinion. now, you want to argue how big a contribution, etc...sure....debateable i guess...but to entirely discount it, nope. :p haha.

anyway, it's all good. enjoy what ya do....and hey, we all love pearl jam........and at the very least, ya gotta love ed's cover of you've got to hide your love away. ;)

peace.

edit - and yea lucy, i hear ya. many cannot deal with opposing opinions being shared, or take personal offense. me, i am all for it. however, it's all in the manner one chooses to do so, and yea...some things just aren't about opinions, but facts.....but no matter what i LOVE discussing it all with like-minded and not-so-like-minded individuals...keeps it all interesting. :)
    Stay with me...
    Let's just breathe...

• kdpjam wrote:
    john's b-day is in four more days. ;) oct 9th.
    paul's is june 18th.
    george's is feb. 25th.
    ringo's is july 7th.

and how old is george martin now?
    he is 80...january 3 1926
    Yeah, I do enjoy the cover of "You've got to hide tyour love away", also I'm trying to remember if "Gimme some Truth" is Lennon or Rodriguez. Can you help wiht that ?
  • kdpjamkdpjam Posts: 2,303
    he is 80...january 3 1926

thanks. i knew he was getting up there in age.
    lay down all thoughts; surrender to the void
    ~it is shining it is shining~
  • Yeah, I do enjoy the cover of "You've got to hide tyour love away", also I'm trying to remember if "Gimme some Truth" is Lennon or Rodriguez. Can you help wiht that ?
    don't know who rodriguez is but gimme some truth was written by john lennon
    don't know who rodriguez is but gimme some truth was written by john lennon

Jesus Rodriguez was adude from Detroit (I always thought he was an American Indian, cause he wore a hat like "Billy Jack"), who had a very good socio-political album called "Cold FAct" in the late seventies, had a lot of songs on it which would ring true to Lennon/Dylan fans, you might want to check it out! It had a real protest vibe to it, and this site gives a good story. It was just his powerful voice adn sparse acoustic guitar. I loved it way back then.
    http://www.sugarman.org/rod_profile.html
    This is a web-site I quickly looked up, he was very popular in Australia, but I didn't know he never really took off in America,
  • i personally believe that there are at least 15 beatles songs that everyone should think "that is a great fucking song"...if you like music and can say you hate the beatles then your taste in music is shit...it is like saying that shakespeare was a shitty writer...bottom line

See I find that pretty arrogant. I can totally appreciate what they did for music, but the music itself does nothing for me.
  • See I find that pretty arrogant. I can totally appreciate what they did for music, but the music itself does nothing for me.
    Well that's fair enough.
  • HorosHoros Posts: 4,518
    seriously, is there such a thing as TOO much of a good thing? oh my, i cannot get enough of abbey road today, but they are just completely brilliant anyway you slice it.

cmon now, show your love . . . :D

Oh yeah alright, are you gonna be in my dreams tonight?
    And in the end the love you take is equal to the love you make.
    Ah –
    Best songwriters ever.

I think my favorite Beatle song ever is on Abbey Road.

I Want You/She's So Heavy
    #FHP
  • Though I don't listen to the Beatles like I used, their brilliance cannot be understated. There's alot of bands that I really like- REM, PJ, Miles, U2, etc, but the Beatles were really revolutionary. Listen to Rubber Soul, and say to yourself, "damn, this shit was written 41 years ago." The Beatles took music from black and white to color.

I love all the Beatles in their own way, but my brother said that they are dying off in order of coolness. In other words, he thinks John was the coolest, the George, etc.

I love Paul as a musician, but his last choice for a wife was not the best one.
  • alobaralobar Posts: 310
    Though I don't listen to the Beatles like I used, their brilliance cannot be understated. There's alot of bands that I really like- REM, PJ, Miles, U2, etc, but the Beatles were really revolutionary. Listen to Rubber Soul, and say to yourself, "damn, this shit was written 41 years ago." The Beatles took music from black and white to color.

I love all the Beatles in their own way, but my brother said that they are dying off in order of coolness. In other words, he thinks John was the coolest, the George, etc.

I love Paul as a musician, but his last choice for a wife was not the best one.

So far they have died in order of coolness. I've never thought of that before.

Anyways, when I'm craving Beatles, I love to go to beatles-discography.com and look up all the songs on whatever album I decide to put on. Reading about the individual songs and the stories behind them is infinitely fascinatin to me. If you're a Beatles fan, I definitely recommend that site.

I also highly recommend The Anthology Series, even though MJ rakes in all the dough from the profits.
    "I wanna believe in the mercy of the world again."

WAR + MAGIC BEANS = PEACE
  • gtbrown77gtbrown77 Posts: 141
    The Beatles took music from black and white to color.

I don't know that I would agree with that. Guys like Elvis Presley, Chuck Berry and Buddy Holly were really the ones to take music from black and white to color. The Beatles, on the other hand, were able to expand upon the change, "creating" an explosion. Their first albums were pop-rock, filled with R&B covers. They appealed to many, especially the teen female population (I guess they were cute or something). But the one thing they really did have was talent, and we get to see/hear that more and more beginning, IMO, with the Help! album/soundtrack. And from there, it just skyrockets.

I agree with people who say that you cannot deny the impact that The Beatles had on music over the past 40+ years. They may not have influenced everybody, but they probably influenced somebody who influenced somebody else. And I do think that a lot of it had to do with timing. The sixties was a time of cultural revolution in the Western world, and 4 guys with "long" hair playing rock n' roll music fit in extremely well at the time. I think this is why the Rolling Stones were right for the time too (and no, I am not saying that the Beatles paved the way for the Stones....two very different kinds of rock music, IMO). But that's how "good" music really gets defined.....it's not purely based on the musical quality, but also how it fits into the culture and society in which it was born (hence the "grunge" explosion of the early 90s). And even better than that, the Beatles have stayed relevant for the past 40+ years, which is more than a lot of people can say.

Are they the "best" or "greatest" band of all time? Arguably, yes (and the same can be said of bands like the Stones or Led Zep). I know that I have listened to them since I was a kid (along with Elvis, Motown, and other "oldies"), and really got into them as a teenager - during the "grunge" explosion. Still one of my favorite bands today, and probably always will be. But for some who don't like them or just don't see them as being the best, well, I guess we'll have to agree to disagree then.
    "Life is what happens to you while you're busy making other plans."
    -John Lennon
    gtbrown77 wrote:
    I don't know that I would agree with that. Guys like Elvis Presley, Chuck Berry and Buddy Holly were really the ones to take music from black and white to color. The Beatles, on the other hand, were able to expand upon the change, "creating" an explosion. Their first albums were pop-rock, filled with R&B covers. They appealed to many, especially the teen female population (I guess they were cute or something). But the one thing they really did have was talent, and we get to see/hear that more and more beginning, IMO, with the Help! album/soundtrack. And from there, it just skyrockets.

I agree with people who say that you cannot deny the impact that The Beatles had on music over the past 40+ years. They may not have influenced everybody, but they probably influenced somebody who influenced somebody else. And I do think that a lot of it had to do with timing. The sixties was a time of cultural revolution in the Western world, and 4 guys with "long" hair playing rock n' roll music fit in extremely well at the time. I think this is why the Rolling Stones were right for the time too (and no, I am not saying that the Beatles paved the way for the Stones....two very different kinds of rock music, IMO). But that's how "good" music really gets defined.....it's not purely based on the musical quality, but also how it fits into the culture and society in which it was born (hence the "grunge" explosion of the early 90s). And even better than that, the Beatles have stayed relevant for the past 40+ years, which is more than a lot of people can say.

Are they the "best" or "greatest" band of all time? Arguably, yes (and the same can be said of bands like the Stones or Led Zep). I know that I have listened to them since I was a kid (along with Elvis, Motown, and other "oldies"), and really got into them as a teenager - during the "grunge" explosion. Still one of my favorite bands today, and probably always will be. But for some who don't like them or just don't see them as being the best, well, I guess we'll have to agree to disagree then.

well said.
    opinions on differing tastes, sure....but on importance/influence, there's really no discussion.

*beatles-discography.com

cool...i'll have to check that out! :)
    Stay with me...
    Let's just breathe...

Hey Dreams, did you check out Rodriguez ?
  • soulsingingsoulsinging Posts: 13,202
    have the beatles haters on here listened to 'tomorrow never knows'? they did in 3 minutes what radiohead has spent their last 3 albums trying to accomplish. it's one of the greatest songs ever... completely turned the "pop song" on its head. that is NOT radio friendly pop crap. sure, she loves you maybe isnt the most earth-shattering tune, but how can you deny that these guys occasionally reached heights few others can even approach?
  • Don't like much of the Beatles' work and I would say I have a good taste in music; I especially think Sgt. Pepper is overrated. However, Abbey Road is an exception, especially George Harrison's songs. I love that album.

I think that one of the things that people dislike about the Beatles is not even their music, but the attitudes of some of their fans who balk at someone who says they don't like the Beatles. People are almost afraid of saying that.
    I believe the children are our future... unless we stop them now...