the beatles

decides2dreamdecides2dream Posts: 14,977
edited October 2006 in Other Music
seriously, is there such a thing as TOO much of a good thing? oh my, i cannot get enough of abbey road today, but they are just completely brilliant anyway you slice it.

cmon now, show your love . . . :D

Oh yeah alright, are you gonna be in my dreams tonight?
And in the end the love you take is equal to the love you make.
Ah –
Stay with me...
Let's just breathe...

I am myself like you somehow

Post edited by Unknown User on

Comments

• Best band ever.
  • mwachsmanmwachsman Posts: 474
    Best band ever.

5th
    "So, you must really love Led Zeppelin. That’s the oldest shirt I’ve ever seen on someone who wasn’t a bum."
    "Hey, if God didn’t want me to wear it so much, he wouldn’t have made them rock so hard."
  • i've been learning blackbird by the beatles on my guitar. great song
  • black88black88 Posts: 13
    Its interesting that, individually, none of The Beatles ever wrote music that was anywhere near as good as what it was when they were writing together. The White Album is one of the greatest musical creations of all time. I could listen to While My Guitar Gently Weeps ten thousand times in a row and not get sick of it.
    There ain't gonna be any middle any more
  • kdpjamkdpjam Posts: 2,303
    i love the beatles! and i have been stuck on abbey road too, lately. my ears never get tired of their music.
    lay down all thoughts; surrender to the void
    ~it is shining it is shining~
  • I love the Beatles too..they are almost as good as Pearl Jam
    Oh dear dad
    Can you see me now
    I am myself
    Like you somehow
    I'll ride the wave
    Where it takes me
    I'll hold the pain
    Release me
  • lucylespianlucylespian Posts: 2,403
    Beatles, Shmeatles, how boring is this fucking band, my god, I nearly died the last time I heard a Beatles song!!
    Funny bastards they were, but great music, NEVER !!
    Cute trite forgettable little pop songs, the whole world must have been bored out of it's collective brain to go bananas over these guys.

I think I'm gonna go choke on a carrot !!
    Music is not a competetion.
  • wolfbearwolfbear Posts: 3,965
    Beatles, Shmeatles, how boring is this fucking band, my god, I nearly died the last time I heard a Beatles song!!
    Cute trite forgettable little pop songs, the whole world must have been bored out of it's collective brain to go bananas over these guys.

You are either really young or brain dead. Sorry, but the Beatles pioneered much of what we listen to today. Do some research and you'll understand. :)
    "I'd rather be with an animal." "Those that can be trusted can change their mind." "The in between is mine." "If I don't lose control, explore and not explode, a preternatural other plane with the power to maintain." "Yeh this is living." "Life is what you make it."
  • red mosred mos Posts: 4,953
    Rubber soul, and the white album are my faves - just awesome!
    PJ: 10/14/00 06/09/03 10/4/09 11/15/13 11/16/13 10/08/14
    EV Solo: 7/11/11 11/12/12 11/13/12
  • decides2dreamdecides2dream Posts: 14,977
    wolfbear wrote:
    You are either really young or brain dead. Sorry, but the Beatles pioneered much of what we listen to today. Do some research and you'll understand. :)

haha. what wolfbear said. ;)

seriously though, while i personally cannot fathom not at least liking the beatles, i do understand some not enjoying their music. however, wolfbear is 100% correct in saying that if all you see/hear is trite pop songs, you clearly are not paying attention and simply do not get it. rock music owes a great debt to the beatles....and yea, i personally think they are totally, utterly and completely brilliant. somtimes, simplicity is the greatest/wisest/most difficult choice......and far more impressive than complexity filled with nothing.

now, i won't say i love EVERY tune the beatles have put out there, but damn close...and even their weakest album, damn impressive. what a serious repertoire of greatness.
    Stay with me...
    Let's just breathe...

• I love the Beatles, but I only own Sgt. peppers...I need to get Abbey Road and the White Album, because i've heard from them sounds excellent.
  • wolfbear wrote:

That's neither here nor there. If you were to take that argument, then you would have to look back even further to the bands that influenced The Beatles themselves. Whilst I totally appreciate what The Beatles did for music, even the most ardent fan can surely admit that a lot of their success was influenced by time and place? Like I said, all due respect to them, but to state like a lot of people do that they were the best band ever seems such a ridiculously wild statement, like there couldn't have been a better band in the 40 YEARS since they were about.
  • Well to me they're not the greatest band ever because there's plenty of bands i'd listen to over them, but I can at least appreciate their masterly songwriting and listen to them in the context of their time.
  • kdpjamkdpjam Posts: 2,303

just stick with zeppelin then.
    lay down all thoughts; surrender to the void
    ~it is shining it is shining~
    That's neither here nor there. If you were to take that argument, then you would have to look back even further to the bands that influenced The Beatles themselves. Whilst I totally appreciate what The Beatles did for music, even the most ardent fan can surely admit that a lot of their success was influenced by time and place? Like I said, all due respect to them, but to state like a lot of people do that they were the best band ever seems such a ridiculously wild statement, like there couldn't have been a better band in the 40 YEARS since they were about.

absolutely. i don't even think wolfbear was looking towards their success, but simply...the influence. and sure, all of us, bands included, are influence by those who preceeded us. however, one at the very least should admit/acknowledge that the beatles had a VERY large influence, whereas many, many other bands did not. and sure, while some may refer to the beatles as 'the' greatest, again, i don't think wolfbear was....simply pointing out that yes, they were/are important/relevant. many bands can make no such claim. liking or disliking the music is irrelevant for any of those points.

anyway, i LOVE em. :)
    Stay with me...
    Let's just breathe...

• absolutely. i don't even think wolfbear was looking towards their success, but simply...the influence. and sure, all of us, bands included, are influence by those who preceeded us. however, one at the very least should admit/acknowledge that the beatles had a VERY large influence, whereas many, many other bands did not. and sure, while some may refer to the beatles as 'the' greatest, again, i don't think wolfbear was....simply pointing out that yes, they were/are important/relevant. many bands can make no such claim. liking or disliking the music is irrelevant for any of those points.

anyway, i LOVE em. :)

Yeah I hear what you are saying, but to me it's kind of like the situation with Nirvana, they were certainly the most important 'grunge' band, because without them, the chances are the whole Seattle scene would never have been discovered. However they certainly weren't the best band to come from the scene. The Beatles benefitted from the fact that they were the right type of band at the right time. This is of course not to say that they weren't extremely good at what they did, but had it not been their time, they may never have been given the chance to become huge. Does that make sense? I guess I just get irritated by the very British assumption that you should be a Beatles fan just because they were The Beatles. I personally find the Stones and Zeppelin far more exciting to listen to.
  • Personally, I love the Beatles. Much like The Rolling Stones, The Who, Buddy Holly and Queen, I completely get their music without haviing been born in their era.

My favorite Beatles.....

Eleanor Rigby, Rocky Racoon, A Day in the Life, We Can Work It Out, Let it Be, Yesterday, All You Need is Love, Penny Lane, and all of Abbey Road
    I love my female wife...
    we sit around and wonder exactly why our marriage should feel threatened by gay marriage
  • GRIMMYGRIMMY Posts: 370
    I dont think age matters when it comes to the Beatles.Im 29 now And all my life I have been listen to them.Revolver is one of my fav. A DAY IN THE LIFE could be my fav song but like Pearl Jam its hard to pick one...BEATLES AND PEARL JAM Ive gone and went to heaven!! on this thread..I could talk about either one all day...NICE CALL ON THIS THREAD!!!!

I ONCE HAD A GIRL..OR SHOULD I SAY..SHE ONCE HAD ME.....norwgien wood
    grimmy
  • aNiMaLaNiMaL Posts: 7,117
    Dreamn....great thread!!!

Abbey Road is one of my most favorite albums of all time!!!

I have never heard a Beatles tune I didn't just absolutely love. Listening to every album really gives you a sense of where they were all at in their lives during that particular record.

I shall go home tonight and bust out my Abbey Road vinyl and give it a spin. Then maybe Revolver. :D
    Yeah I hear what you are saying, but to me it's kind of like the situation with Nirvana, they were certainly the most important 'grunge' band, because without them, the chances are the whole Seattle scene would never have been discovered. However they certainly weren't the best band to come from the scene. The Beatles benefitted from the fact that they were the right type of band at the right time. This is of course not to say that they weren't extremely good at what they did, but had it not been their time, they may never have been given the chance to become huge. Does that make sense? I guess I just get irritated by the very British assumption that you should be a Beatles fan just because they were The Beatles. I personally find the Stones and Zeppelin far more exciting to listen to.

absolutely makes sense. however, i think you may be reading more into mine, and wolfbear's, commetns...more than what was actually presented. neither one of us even remotely pushed the agenda of the beatles, or any band for that matter, being the *greatest* ever. personally, i do not believe in their being one *greatest* anything....and besides, that is delving into the highly sujective area of personal taste.

however, in a much more objective fashion...we can look at the contributions an individual or group may make to their field, and how they have, or have not, permanently changed the landscape of such...not to be the same since, due to their contributions. i think that is what wolfbear was aiming at - and of course, forgive me wolfbear if i am misinterpreting - but for me, that is really what i am focusing on here in response to the whole 'beatles, schmeatles' issue.

now, while i personally see nothing to dislike about the beatles...and whereas, in fact, i find much to love....again as already stated, i realize, taste is a VERY subjective thing. BUT to discount the VERY reral, important contributions they have made to rock music specifically, and music in general...is simply refusing to see the 'bigger picture.' that's all.

btw - i don't know why it's a 'british' assumption? :confused: i am not british. i don't think anyone 'should' be a beatles fan, although as i said..i personally cannot fathom why one wouldn't be. ;) seriously tho, i simply think...one should at the very least, the important musical contributions made by them. one may do so objectively, while still disliking the music. and hey coolness on the stones and zeppelin love...i too feel that as well. i don't think any has to be mutually exclusive. and, no where did i at all suggest the beatles are the *best*....i simply was showin' some lovin' for a band that was most definitely ground-breaking at the very least...and sure, who's music i personally adore.

so yea...it was all about sharin' the love. :cool:

i mean, cmon...what's not to love? ;)

Everybody's Got SOmething to Hide Except for Me and My Monkey

Come on come on come on come on
    Come on is such a joy
    Come on is such a joy
    Come on take it easy
    Come on take it easy.
    Take it easy take it easy.
    Everybody’s got something to hide except for me and my monkey.
    The deeper you go the higher you fly.
    The higher you fly the deeper you go.
    So come on come on
    Come on is such a joy
    Come on is such a joy
    Come on take it easy
    Come on take it easy.
    Your inside is out and your outside is in.
    Your outside is in and your inside is out.
    So come on come on
    Come on is such a joy
    Come on is such a joy
    Come on take it easy
    Come on take it easy.

:D

btw - i have show mucho, mucho love for ld zep...endlessly on this very board, moreso over in the AET forum before we all got well-behaved and learned to post in the proper forums. haha. and yea, as a young teen...i had the 'sticky fingers' mouth painted on the back of my jean jacket. :cool:
    Stay with me...
    Let's just breathe...

• Read the book "Revolution in the Head", by Ian MacDonald.

http://www.siue.edu/~aho/musov/altfan/revhead.html
    I read the news today oh, boy
    About a lucky man who made the grade
    And though the news was rather sad
    Well, i just had to laugh
    I saw the photograph
    He blew his mind out in a car
    He didn't notice that the lights had changed
    A crowd of people stood and stared
    They'd seen his face before
    Nobody was really sure if he was from the house of lords

I saw a film today oh, boy
    The english army had just won the war
    A crowd of people turned away
    But i just had to look
    Having read the book
    I love to turn you on.

Woke up, got out of bed
    Dragged a comb across my head
    Found my way downstairs and drank a cup
    And looking up, i noticed i was late
    Found my coat and grabbed my hat
    Made the bus in seconds flat
    Found my way upstairs and had a smoke
    Somebody spoke and i went into a dream
    Ah

I read the news today oh, boy
    Four thousand holes in blackburn, lancashire
    And though the holes were rather small
    They had to count them all
    Now they know how many holes it takes to fill the albert hall
    I'd love to turn you on
    grimmy
    kdpjam wrote:
    just stick with zeppelin then.

You know, that's about the closest anyone on these forums have come to acknowledging the validity of a point of view they did not agree with.

I am more than happy for anyone to love the Beatles, all power to you dudes !! I am old and brain dead, not young and ignorant, but the unyielding opinionation was starting to bug me, so I just had to rattle the cage !!
    I think the monkey song kinda re-inforces my point about dopey lyrics, adn seriously, how many times can you repeat teh same lines in a song and still expect credibility, reminds me of Simple Minds from teh Eighties, more like Simple Songs, like "Don't you, forget about me" repeated about 50 times, or "love song ", repeated about 100.
  • You know, that's about the closest anyone on these forums have come to acknowledging the validity of a point of view they did not agree with.

I am more than happy for anyone to love the Beatles, all power to you dudes !! I am old and brain dead, not young and ignorant, but the unyielding opinionation was starting to bug me, so I just had to rattle the cage !!
    I think the monkey song kinda re-inforces my point about dopey lyrics, adn seriously, how many times can you repeat teh same lines in a song and still expect credibility, reminds me of Simple Minds from teh Eighties, more like Simple Songs, like "Don't you, forget about me" repeated about 50 times, or "love song ", repeated about 100.

There's a huge difference between Lennon and some crap, anthemic eighties band. The "Monkey song", as you call it, isn't just about Yoko, as is often presumed, but about heroin addiction: having a monkey on your back is junkie slang. The use of repetition and childlike rhyme intentionally simulates the persistance and childlike pain of withdrawal pangs. Lennon explored the relationship between heroin withdrawal and his childhood traumas to greater effect, in his "primal scream" album, "John Lennon/Plastic Ono Band" (1970).

You know, Yoko Ono's "Why" is really another way of singing "Everybody's Got Something To Hide Except For Me And My Monkey":

http://profile.myspace.com/index.cfm?fuseaction=user.viewprofile&friendid=43356822

Click "Why", track two.
    E7#9
  • seanw1010seanw1010 Posts: 1,205
    wolfbear wrote:
    thank chuck berry not the beatles
    btw, i think they were great, just a little too pop forme
    they call them fingers, but i never see them fing. oh, there they go
    http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Wmr_7xq6E5Q
    Doesnt seem that POPPY to me...
    grimmy
  • I am 20. I LOVE the Beatles. I have Revolver, Sgt Peppers, The White Album, Abby Road and Let it Be. Age has got nothing much to do with liking timeless music. However many people my age are musically ignorant and swallow any pop crap the record intustry can throw at them.
  • seriously, is there such a thing as TOO much of a good thing? oh my, i cannot get enough of abbey road today, but they are just completely brilliant anyway you slice it.

Ah –

yes great stuff
    Some people have religion I have Pearl Jam.

no more shows
  • seriously, is there such a thing as TOO much of a good thing? oh my, i cannot get enough of abbey road today, but they are just completely brilliant anyway you slice it.

Ah –

Sir Paul is without a doubt the MVP of the Abbey Road record
    2000: Camden 1, 2003: Philly, State College, Camden 1, MSG 2, Hershey, 2004: Reading, 2005: Philly, 2006: Camden 1, 2, East Rutherford 1, 2007: Lollapalooza, 2008: Camden 1, Washington D.C., MSG 1, 2, 2009: Philly 1, 2, 3, 4, 2010: Bristol, MSG 2, 2011: PJ20 1, 2, 2012: Made In America, 2013: Brooklyn 2, Philly 2, 2014: Denver, 2015: Global Citizen Festival, 2016: Philly 2, Fenway 1, 2018: Fenway 1, 2, 2021: Sea. Hear. Now. 2022: Camden, 2024Philly 2

Pearl Jam bootlegs:
    http://wegotshit.blogspot.com