Options

Ever try to explain Pearl Jam to someone who just doesn't get it

13»

Comments

• Options
    poochpooch Posts: 15
    mindi wrote:
    I had this conversation with my husband, it went sort of like this.
    Him: I like fun music, Pearl Jam is all depressing stuff
    Me:Well some is but what about Dirty Frank?
    Him: I don't know, have I heard it? What is it about?
    Me:Well, a cannibalistic serial killer bus driver, but it's a fun song. :D
    Him: (he just looked at me like I was crazy and said nothing)

I don't know if I convinced him or not.[/quote

I have found being a Pearl Jam fan a lonely place to be in at times a lot of my friends 'don't get them' and dislike their music saying that it is depressing. only for this board that i don't 'post a lot on' i would be lost, honestly it is great to see you all sharing the love and keeping it real.

big XX from Pooch
    Children are born with wings, teachers help them to fly
  • Options
    knittedknitted Posts: 244
    this is not just 'someone' who doesn't get pj, it's your husband!

i met my husband (to be) when ten had just come out. i never really made a big deal about it being my favourite album at the time. when vs came out, he didn't like it much. not much of a reaction to vitalogy either, although by then he knew that i was a big pj fan, i just never made a big deal of it, never forced him to listen to them or anything. he saw them play live with me in 95, he didn't think they sucked but he wasn't raving either. when no code came out i never even played it when he was around, although one day he picked up my walkman(!), listened to 'sometimes' and hardly believed me when i told him it was the new pj album.

still with me?

anyway, by then (96) he was a big brad fan and an even bigger 3 fish fan, i don't think he knew either of those bands had anything to do with pj, i certainly never told him, just played the cd's occasionally until he was the one that started to play them all the time.

he saw them live again with me in '98 and was quite blown away this time and said yield was 'the best album this year'. he'd listen to it in the car, in between blasting in utero and the beasties.

then, sometime in 2001, after we'd decided we should maybe get married, we came home late after a night out and he said 'i'm sorry, but i just HAVE to listen to this album RIGHT now' ....and he put on no code!

my point is...if it's someone you love, and someone you live with, then don't push it! be patient! if you're lucky, like i was, they'll figure it out all by themselves. you can't MAKE someone love PJ, just like you can't MAKE someone love you.
    http://www.sublime-retro.net

when my ears ring, my heart beats