My Morning Jacket Double Live Album!

Comments

• intodeepintodeep Posts: 7,228
    cobrah wrote:
    You'll get plenty of covers when they release this year's Bonnaroo show. They better release that soon, dammit. I disagree with it just being a replaying, in my opinion 95% of the Okonokos songs blow the studio versions away. Yes, they mainly stick to the existing song structures but these were already amazing to begin with and besides, they're not a jamband.
    They are releaseing the Bonnaroo show?

That is awesome. Isn't that the show they played for over 3 hours?
    Charlotte 00
    Charlotte 03
    Asheville 04
    Atlanta 12
    Greenville 16, Columbia 16
    Seattle 18 
    Nashville 22
  • i highly doubt they will release officially the bonnaroo show because compared to other bonnaroo releases, its way too long. They would have to make it a three disc download and it would cost a lot more than the other.

However, if they do it will have covers by the velvet underground, stones, misfits, the band, flying burrito brothers, and the most rocked out cover of all time, A Quick One by The Who.

You can go over to archive and download a pretty go version of the show. its intense. I was there, best show i have ever and will ever witness.
  • clayton12 wrote:
    i highly doubt they will release officially the bonnaroo show because compared to other bonnaroo releases, its way too long. They would have to make it a three disc download and it would cost a lot more than the other.

However, if they do it will have covers by the velvet underground, stones, misfits, the band, flying burrito brothers, and the most rocked out cover of all time, A Quick One by The Who.

You can go over to archive and download a pretty go version of the show. its intense. I was there, best show i have ever and will ever witness.

This man is speaking the truth.
    "That's part of the curse: If you're gonna play the song, you better play it. I've tried to phone in "Jeremy" a few times, and it's tough. It doesn't work."

EV
  • That's part of the curse: If you're gonna play the song, you better play it. I've tried to phone in "Jeremy" a few times, and it's tough. It doesn't work."

What in the hell was eddie talking about?
    -Jeremy
  • soulsingingsoulsinging Posts: 13,202
    CM1847 wrote:
    I think you said it best when you hit on the intro and the outro's of the live songs. They do add some nice intros here and play some extended jams at the end of the songs. But that is all. They don't enchance the actual songs any, just spend time jamming at the end or throwing in a new intro.

I like the album, but it is far from necessary if you have their studio albums. They should have thrown in some covers here, because nothing on this album is essential if you own the studio versions of these songs.

It is a very good replaying of a lot of very good studio songs, but there just isn't much more than that here. I'm a fan of the band and I really do like the live album, but I can't help but feeling that it could have been better.

what would have made it better? also, do you buy pearl jam bootlegs? in what way is a given pearl jam show any different from what you just described, minus the covers? i dont go to shows to see covers, i go to see bands kick the shit out of their material.
  • covers by the velvet underground, stones, misfits, the band, flying burrito brothers, and the most rocked out cover of all time, A Quick One by The Who.
    Wow, seriously? That must have been an amazing show. (Why did I skip Bonnaroo??) What did they cover by the Flying Burrito Bros??

Heh, I've seen them 4 times this year, 5 in November, and I they didn't play any covers, as far as I remember. I love a good cover, keeps things interesting!
    "What happens when so many people agree on something? Can we take this beyond the parking lot when we leave tonight?" -EV, Iconoclasts
  • they did Older Guys. Yeah during most of their shows they stick to their songs but the past two years at bonnaroo have been special. In '05 they did their best cover yet, which is I Could Never Take The Place Of Your Man by Prince. Unreal. Checkout their version of Rocketman as well. Jim voice is beautiful in that song.
  • CM1847CM1847 Posts: 577
    cobrah wrote:
    You'll get plenty of covers when they release this year's Bonnaroo show. They better release that soon, dammit. I disagree with it just being a replaying, in my opinion 95% of the Okonokos songs blow the studio versions away. Yes, they mainly stick to the existing song structures but these were already amazing to begin with and besides, they're not a jamband.
    They are great songs to begin with and they are great live, but I don't see where they enchance them any in a live setting, they are still great live but not any better than they were in studio. I don't expect or want 15 minute versions of all of their songs but I wanted something. They have the Foo Fighters syndrome, they are obviously a great band, they can easily recreate studio songs in a live setting and they match the quality, but I don't want to go to a live show to hear the studio songs straight up. Do something, throw in some covers, change some song structures on a track or two, just do something to keep it from being a straight up replaying of studio songs.

As I've said in every post, I really do like this album, but I can't help but wonder whether I will have any incentive to pick it up and listen to it over their studio albums a few months from now.
  • CM1847CM1847 Posts: 577
    what would have made it better? also, do you buy pearl jam bootlegs? in what way is a given pearl jam show any different from what you just described, minus the covers? i dont go to shows to see covers, i go to see bands kick the shit out of their material.
    It is a good album, I like it.

It could have been better by changing up some songs, playing some covers or adding some more in-song jamming. I don't go to a show to see covers, but seeing covers is often one of the highlights of most shows I see. A band forced out of its own sound by playing a cover is an amazing experience to hear. Pearl Jam has made a cover like Rocking IN the Free World their own, so it isn't as exciting to hear, but when they pull out a new cover it is always great to hear. Other factors in what makes Pearl Jam boots good IMO(and yes, I only own about 10 of them, but I do buy them) are tracklisting, energy and the crowd. The recording on Okonokos keeps the crowd quietly in the background most of the album. James's vocals are full of energy which is one reason why I do like the album, and the tracklisting is good.

This is in no way a bad set, I like it, but if Pearl Jam played a comperable set(no covers, no changing up any of the song structures, no stage talk, low crowd levels on the recording) I don't thnk many people would be rushing to download that show. I simply want to hear something different on live albums, something you can't hear in the studio, and other than JJ's screaming, there isn't anything on Okonokos that separates it from a studio album.
  • there isn't anything on Okonokos that separates it from a studio album.
    Well, there are the bears... ;)
    "What happens when so many people agree on something? Can we take this beyond the parking lot when we leave tonight?" -EV, Iconoclasts
  • did anyone else preorder this from the mmj site and still not receive it yet?
  • http://www.archive.org/details/etree

This is a great site for live concerts. There are 72 different My Morning Jacket concerts available.
    Pearl Jam Concert Resume: 1998-09-13 Hartford, 1998-09-16 Mansfield, 2000-08-29 Mansfield, 2000-08-30 Mansfield, 2003-07-02 Mansfield, 2003-07-03 Mansfield, 2003-07-09 NYC, 2003-07-11 Mansfield, 2004-09-28 Boston, 2004-09-29 Boston, 2006-05-13 Hartford, 2006-05-24 Boston, 2006-05-25 Boston
  • I am still waiting on mine. I did the regular shipping though. Hopefully today or next week. I just downloaded the Bonnaroo sets from '04 and '05 so that will tide me over for a while.

By the way the Bonnaroo sets are usually download only. So the '06 show probably won't be released via retail. I hope it is released for download at least. Sounds like a great show.
    If there were no Angels would there be no sin?
  • Ghostmutt wrote:
    http://www.archive.org/details/etree

This is a great site for live concerts. There are 72 different My Morning Jacket concerts available.

Thanks for the link. I was able to find a live version of Honest Man on that site. I wish they would play that song on their current tour.
  • That Bonnaroo setlist is awesome. I didn't realize Andrew Bird played with them there too. I have a couple Andy Bird boots where he's backed by MMJ, but none the other way around ;)
  • Have you guys seen the professionally done videos on Youtube from an '03 Austin show? Lighting is bad, but sound is absolutely terrific. The whole show is on there. I would specifically recommend "War Begun", it is nothing like the Tennessee Fire version. Here's a link:

http://www.youtube.com/results?search_type=search_videos&search_query=my%20morning%20jacket%20austin&search_sort=video_date_uploaded&search_category=0
  • What in the hell was eddie talking about?

Talking about playing Jeremy so many times and it being a crowd pleaser, but they don't necessarily like playing it that much.
    "That's part of the curse: If you're gonna play the song, you better play it. I've tried to phone in "Jeremy" a few times, and it's tough. It doesn't work."

EV
  • Bonnaroo was cool this year! New album is smoking. new kasabian too!
  • Disc 2 is amazing, absolutely in love with it.
    I share a cigarette with negativity.
  • LBC1076LBC1076 Posts: 224
    About the bears....

For what is worth, there is a song called "The Bear" on Tennessee Fire and a bear on the cover of It Still Moves.
  • About the bears....

For what is worth, there is a song called "The Bear" on Tennessee Fire and a bear on the cover of It Still Moves.
    That's true...I guess they're really into bears. Who knew.
  • Jeff MurrayJeff Murray Posts: 1,259
    I got the album yesterday. It is a good bootleg of them. I think the DVD will further the expand the show once it is released. I did like the liner notes with the stories of how the members got to where they are. Especially the different music labels assigned to MMJ.

I have to get tickets for the Philly show. Another cover I like is off the early demo CD's released awhile back, "Tyrone" by Erykah Badu, it is amazing how this band finds songs that Jim can make their own.
  • I got the album yesterday. It is a good bootleg of them. I think the DVD will further the expand the show once it is released. I did like the liner notes with the stories of how the members got to where they are. Especially the different music labels assigned to MMJ.

I have to get tickets for the Philly show. Another cover I like is off the early demo CD's released awhile back, "Tyrone" by Erykah Badu, it is amazing how this band finds songs that Jim can make their own.
    See, this is what sucks about iTunes...you don't always get the digital booklet. Boo, I love liner notes. :(

They covered Tyrone??? Aw, man, can't wait to see them next month!
  • i think i have listened to Okonokos like a thousand times since i bought it last week!!!!!!!!!

its so fucking amazing, i cant wait till the Philly show on the 1st of Dec, ill definitely be there!!!

i think i have been singing the lyrics to Lowdown all day in work!!!
    "I Will Scream my Lungs out 'til it fills this Room "

" I Will Feel Alive as Long as I am Free"

"Are We Getting SomeThing Out Of this All Encompassing Trip? Makes Much More Sense To Live In The Present Tense"

www.myspace.com/ehoff12982
  • JulienJulien Posts: 2,457
    Finally, I bought it today !!

AWESOME !!!
    2006: Antwerp, Paris
    2007: Copenhagen, Werchter
    2009: Rotterdam, London
    2010: MSG, Arras, Werchter
    2012: Amsterdam, Prague, Berlin
    2014: Amsterdam, Stockholm
  • JulienJulien Posts: 2,457
    Julien wrote:
    Finally, I bought it today !!

AWESOME !!!

Beter than awesome....!!!
    I'm listening to Xmas curtain and it's... wow!!!
    2006: Antwerp, Paris
    2007: Copenhagen, Werchter
    2009: Rotterdam, London
    2010: MSG, Arras, Werchter
    2012: Amsterdam, Prague, Berlin
    2014: Amsterdam, Stockholm
  • its a little too over-produced for my liking.
    Cheat the odds that made you
    Brave to try to gamble at times
  • Information about the DVD screenings is up at the MMJ site. Oct. 30th in various cities.
  • This album is fucking awesome. Damn.

Steam Engine [woah]
    I Will Sing You Songs [whoah]
    Dondante [whoah] [whoah]
    Are you too good to tango with the poor poor boys?
  • IgottagoIgottago Posts: 483
    Dick Jones wrote:
    This album is fucking awesome. Damn.

Steam Engine [woah]
    I Will Sing You Songs [whoah]
    Dondante [whoah] [whoah]

I'll add to that

Dondante - whoah, whoah, whoah, whoah, whoah

Might be the best live version of anything i've ever heard..sent chills up my spine...these guys are the best band in the world right now bar a wide margin.