My Morning Jacket Double Live Album!

Comments

• soulsingingsoulsinging Posts: 13,202
    intodeep wrote:
    Anyone heard it? Got any reviews?

i will later this evening. im certain it will be incredible. between that and the lost crowes album, this is a good day for anyone who likes real rclassic rock and roll.
  • These guys are fuckin' amazing, so glad more and more people have gotten into them over the years. Can't wait for the CD and DVD..haven't had a chance to see them live yet, but they are top on my must see list.
  • this is soooooooooo fucking good....can't wait for the vinyl wif bonus tracks
  • just got back from best buy! i have it in my hand i cant wait to give it a listen!!!
    "I Will Scream my Lungs out 'til it fills this Room "

" I Will Feel Alive as Long as I am Free"

"Are We Getting SomeThing Out Of this All Encompassing Trip? Makes Much More Sense To Live In The Present Tense"

www.myspace.com/ehoff12982
  • MMJ is a local band from here. To tell you how bad the music scene is in Louisville, KY...I never even knew they had national recognition until Pearl Jam released their tour schedule. I saw that name on there and my fucking head exploded, it was like finding out your dad was a superhero.
    -Jeremy
  • MMJ is a local band from here. To tell you how bad the music scene is in Louisville, KY...I never even knew they had national recognition until Pearl Jam released their tour schedule. I saw that name on there and my fucking head exploded, it was like finding out your dad was a superhero.

This hit the nail on the head for around here. It is from MMJ's bio:

"My Morning Jacket hail from the city of Louisville, Kentucky, an odd metro-suburban mix of stark industry and fine thoroughbreds and rock and roll fevers. "It's a place with no labels," James says. "It's not the South, it's not Chicago, and you don't think of it as you think of New York or LA. It has some Southern romanticism to it, but also a Northern progressivism, this weird urban island in the middle of the state of Kentucky that has always provided a fertile, often dark, bed. For us, Louisville and the surrounding areas are the center of massive creativity and massive weirdness. The place has its flaws: You move away, but you're always going to come back.""

It's not that the music scene is so bad here, it is radio and promoting. I think its getting better and we just may pump out a legend again. Louisville likes to use Days of the New as a claim to fame and DOTN liked to say they were from Louisville. They were from right here where I am in Charlestown, Indiana where I am (across the river from Louisville and two towns east), hell I went to school with Jesse. My mom went to school with Monkey (Travis' dad) and Sharon (his mom) went to the church on my street. Anyway, how'd I get on all that jazz?
    -Jeremy
  • CM1847CM1847 Posts: 577
    The songs live are very similar to their studio versions. It is good that they are talented enough to recreate them without studio production, but it does make the live album slightly....boring. It isn't bad by any means, I enjoy it for the tracklist alone, but I was hoping for them to expand their songs more. They seem content to recreate the studio versions, which is fine, but it doesn't make for the most interesting live album.
  • CM1847 wrote:
    http://www.bestbuy.com/site/olspage.jsp?skuId=7979271&st=My+Morning+Jacket&lp=1&type=product&cp=1&id=1567387

It isn't in the weekly, but it seems like they are still running a sale on it, odd.

I know, I checked today and the price is $14.99. Which means I'll be picking it up on Friday. :)
    Statistically speaking, you're more likely to be pitied by Mr. T than you are to have feet.
  • did anyone else see them on this tour (oknokos)?

the album really captures the show they put on. i actually feel like i'm back at the show when i put headphones on and close my eyes.
    Cheat the odds that made you
    Brave to try to gamble at times
    I know, I checked today and the price is $14.99. Which means I'll be picking it up on Friday. :)
    My Best Buy had them with the new releases, but only had a $19.99 sticker on it, no advertised sale. But it rang up as $14.99 when I got to the check out.
  • CM1847 wrote:
    The songs live are very similar to their studio versions. It is good that they are talented enough to recreate them without studio production, but it does make the live album slightly....boring. It isn't bad by any means, I enjoy it for the tracklist alone, but I was hoping for them to expand their songs more. They seem content to recreate the studio versions, which is fine, but it doesn't make for the most interesting live album.
    FOr someon who has never heard them, would you suggest a live album or a studio album?
    -Jeremy
  • all i have by them is Z, i think i liked most of the songs more live. Should I go get this when it comes out or go back and try an earlier studio album?
  • alobaralobar Posts: 310
    CM1847 wrote:

well, that confirms it for me.....I'll just wait for the DVD.
    "I wanna believe in the mercy of the world again."

WAR + MAGIC BEANS = PEACE
  • kdpjamkdpjam Posts: 2,303
    alobar wrote:

good idea. i love music dvd's.
    lay down all thoughts; surrender to the void
    ~it is shining it is shining~
  • intodeepintodeep Posts: 7,228
    FOr someon who has never heard them, would you suggest a live album or a studio album?

THe Live album becasue although it is heavy on the Z and It Still Moves songs it does offer some older songs as well to give you a taste of their styles.

I disagree with the recreate the album feel. i think it just shows they are great artist who don't lose anything when they come out of the studio. They extend a few jams on the album (steam & run thru come to mind immediatly). Pearl Jam is similar. Many of the songs they play are very similar to their albums and they jam a few songs and ed throws some extra lyrics on a couple songs.

I enjoy the album, but i'm really looking forward to the DVD! I can't wait to see it in the theatre on oct 30th :)
    Charlotte 00
    Charlotte 03
    Asheville 04
    Atlanta 12
    Greenville 16, Columbia 16
    Seattle 18 
    Nashville 22
  • CM1847 wrote:

I disagree with this. Some of the Z songs are similar to the studio versions, but many of the other songs are different. Songs from the earlier albums rock out much more in the live setting. "Lowdown" has a fantastic guitar intro that is nowhere to be found on At Dawn. "The Way That He Sings" has always rocked way harder in concert than on At Dawn, and there is no exception here. "Steam Engine" is phenomenal and has a great drum solo at the end. Even "Dondante" off of Z has some shredding guitar at the end that tops the studio version. These are just a few of many examples. Any rock critic or fan familiar with MMJ's music would tell you that their music is greatly enhanced in the live setting. If you are even debating about buying Okonokos, run out and buy it now. Then you can pick out songs you like and go back into the catalog if the music smashes you in the face like it did me.
  • JulienJulien Posts: 2,457
    shit !!
    I want this cd and it's not yet available in Belgium !!!
    2006: Antwerp, Paris
    2007: Copenhagen, Werchter
    2009: Rotterdam, London
    2010: MSG, Arras, Werchter
    2012: Amsterdam, Prague, Berlin
    2014: Amsterdam, Stockholm
  • intodeepintodeep Posts: 7,228
    Julien wrote:
    shit !!
    I want this cd and it's not yet available in Belgium !!!
    Hmm Do you have access to itunes there? It is on the US itunes not sure if it would be on yours i know that they have different sites for different countries.
    Charlotte 00
    Charlotte 03
    Asheville 04
    Atlanta 12
    Greenville 16, Columbia 16
    Seattle 18 
    Nashville 22
  • JulienJulien Posts: 2,457
    intodeep wrote:
    Hmm Do you have access to itunes there? It is on the US itunes not sure if it would be on yours i know that they have different sites for different countries.
    Not available on iTunes Belgium... I checked yesterday, I checked twice today, but nothing. Strange, because they have "many" MMJ stuff...
    I will have to wait but it's hard...
    2006: Antwerp, Paris
    2007: Copenhagen, Werchter
    2009: Rotterdam, London
    2010: MSG, Arras, Werchter
    2012: Amsterdam, Prague, Berlin
    2014: Amsterdam, Stockholm
  • Oh WOW this is a great record! I've been listening to it all day at work, now I really can't wait to see them again in November.

Also...what is that stuff at the end of Mageetah?? Sounds like they're in the forest with...bears or something.
    "What happens when so many people agree on something? Can we take this beyond the parking lot when we leave tonight?" -EV, Iconoclasts
  • Oh WOW this is a great record! I've been listening to it all day at work, now I really can't wait to see them again in November.

Also...what is that stuff at the end of Mageetah?? Sounds like they're in the forest with...bears or something.

Watch this trailer to the DVD and you will understand the bear in the forest (it's at the end).

http://tallbuildingsshake.blogspot.com/2006/08/my-morning-jacket-okonokos-trailer.html
    alobar wrote:

dont listen to him, that isnt true. these guys are very similar to pearl jam in terms of live show. some songs are faithful reproductions, some are extended into rocking jams. i dont know what this guy is talking about. this album sounds fantastic and is noticeably different from their studio output.
  • Watch this trailer to the DVD and you will understand the bear in the forest (it's at the end).

http://tallbuildingsshake.blogspot.com/2006/08/my-morning-jacket-okonokos-trailer.html
    Ohhh, thanks! I can't say I understand the bear, exactly...but at least now I see where it's coming from ;)

Anybody know where the DVD was filmed? I hope they're bringing the forest backdrop with them on tour this fall :)
    "What happens when so many people agree on something? Can we take this beyond the parking lot when we leave tonight?" -EV, Iconoclasts
  • Ohhh, thanks! I can't say I understand the bear, exactly...but at least now I see where it's coming from ;)

Anybody know where the DVD was filmed? I hope they're bringing the forest backdrop with them on tour this fall :)

DVD was filmed at the Fillmore in San Francisco over two nights in November of '05. I hope to see them at the Riviera. I've never been there before, is it general admission and is it a good place to catch a show?
  • The Riviera in Chicago? Yes, it's always GA, but I think there are seats up in the balcony...I never sit up there, though.

It's a great place to catch a show :)
  • Im seeing at the Ryman. I hope they play a lot acoustic songs at that show. The acoustics at the ryman are sick.
    "That's part of the curse: If you're gonna play the song, you better play it. I've tried to phone in "Jeremy" a few times, and it's tough. It doesn't work."

EV
    The Riviera in Chicago? Yes, it's always GA, but I think there are seats up in the balcony...I never sit up there, though.

It's a great place to catch a show :)

indeed. i just saw snow patrol there the other day. GREAT place for a show.
    I think Okonokos is a GREAT introduction to the band. It has alot of songs from their most recent album, Z, but also have songs from previous albums. It is a good place to start because they are a very good live band, the songs are very true to the studio versions so the live album is a good place to start.
    marino13 wrote:
    I disagree with this. Some of the Z songs are similar to the studio versions, but many of the other songs are different. Songs from the earlier albums rock out much more in the live setting. "Lowdown" has a fantastic guitar intro that is nowhere to be found on At Dawn. "The Way That He Sings" has always rocked way harder in concert than on At Dawn, and there is no exception here. "Steam Engine" is phenomenal and has a great drum solo at the end. Even "Dondante" off of Z has some shredding guitar at the end that tops the studio version. These are just a few of many examples. Any rock critic or fan familiar with MMJ's music would tell you that their music is greatly enhanced in the live setting. If you are even debating about buying Okonokos, run out and buy it now. Then you can pick out songs you like and go back into the catalog if the music smashes you in the face like it did me.
    I think you said it best when you hit on the intro and the outro's of the live songs. They do add some nice intros here and play some extended jams at the end of the songs. But that is all. They don't enchance the actual songs any, just spend time jamming at the end or throwing in a new intro.

I like the album, but it is far from necessary if you have their studio albums. They should have thrown in some covers here, because nothing on this album is essential if you own the studio versions of these songs.

It is a very good replaying of a lot of very good studio songs, but there just isn't much more than that here. I'm a fan of the band and I really do like the live album, but I can't help but feeling that it could have been better.
  • CM1847 wrote:
    It is a very good replaying of a lot of very good studio songs, but there just isn't much more than that here. I'm a fan of the band and I really do like the live album, but I can't help but feeling that it could have been better.

You'll get plenty of covers when they release this year's Bonnaroo show. They better release that soon, dammit. I disagree with it just being a replaying, in my opinion 95% of the Okonokos songs blow the studio versions away. Yes, they mainly stick to the existing song structures but these were already amazing to begin with and besides, they're not a jamband.