Radiohead rocks!!

1STmammal2wearPants1STmammal2wearPants Posts: 2,938
edited January 2008 in Other Music
Sorry, since they shut down a thread for reasons that I can never know, and didn't get a chance to disagree -- I just wanted to say that I love Radiohead and think that they are genius for one of the reasons that makes Pearl Jam genius: they make music the way they want to make music, and not because of what society demands out of em. They play with a sense of passion and musical range that is, quite frankly, rare these days. How many bands can say they've done techno, ballads, 'grunge rock,' jazz, and plain ol rock and roll over a span of a decade? To me, the music speaks for itself, and there are plenty of bands that I hate that the music snobs love. Radiohead is just good. Cory, ya seem like a decent fellow, but damn are you wrong!
2003 Mansfield III 
2004 Boston I 
2006 Boston I 
2008 Bonnaroo, Hartford, Mansfield I 
2010 Hartford 
2013 Worcester I, Worcester II, Hartford 
2016 Bonnaroo, Fenway I, Fenway II 
2018 Fenway I, Fenway II 
2021 Sea.Hear.Now
2022 Camden
2024 MSG I, Fenway I, Fenway II
Post edited by Unknown User on

Comments

• Radiohead is one of my faves...so many good tunes, such diverse songwriting.
    Is it so wrong to think that love can keep us safe?
  • edpearsonedpearson Posts: 331
    Yes they fucking do! They're certainly one of the few bands that keeps coming out with fresh, original material (just like Pearl Jam!!!). Sure would like to see Radiohead play the Greek Theater here in Berkeley again this year! I saw them there in '06, only to follow that up w/ 3 nights of PJ at the Bill Graham Civic Ctr a few weeks later! What a summer!
    Rock on!
    ~Edward

===========================
  • Good thread. I agree.
  • brain of cbrain of c Posts: 5,213
    Good thread. I agree.

word.
  • smarcheesmarchee Posts: 14,539
    me too, been a large fan since 1995's The Bends, which is still my favourite record

I understand why people don't care for them, but I hate the bashing they get. Go bash some crap like Nickelback
    1998 ~ Barrie
    2003 ~ Toronto
    2005 ~ London, Toronto
    2006 ~ Toronto
    2008 ~ Hartford, Mansfied I,
    2009 ~ Toronto, Chicago I, Chicago II
    2010 ~ Cleveland, Buffalo
    2011 ~ Toronto I, Toronto II, Ottawa, Hamilton
    2013 - London, Pittsburgh, Buffalo
    2014 - Detroit
    2019 - Chicago X 2
  • smarchee wrote:
    me too, been a large fan since 1995's The Bends, which is still my favourite record

I understand why people don't care for them, but I hate the bashing they get. Go bash some crap like Nickelback
    They get bashed for the same reason PJ does away from here...they've changed and evolved their music...simple as that.
    They get bashed for the same reason PJ does away from here...they've changed and evolved their music...simple as that.

so the assumption is that musicians that stay within their own creative box are safe and don't deserve scorn ?

but those that challenge conventions are a threat to either the overall scene or those who bash them's lack of musicial appreciation for something they can't understand because going outside that box scares them
    1998 ~ Barrie
    2003 ~ Toronto
    2005 ~ London, Toronto
    2006 ~ Toronto
    2014 - Detroit
    2019 - Chicago X 2
  • corycory Posts: 736
    Cory, ya seem like a decent fellow, but damn are you wrong!

Radiohead sounds like shit to me. That's the only side I can argue. That's what music is. It's graded on how it moves YOU. You can listen all day to that whiny, pussy voiced sissy. That's okay. I can't imagine being soft enough to ride around and listen to that shit ad nauseum. Like I said before, they are different. But different does not make you good. People describe you as "groundbreaking" or "innovative"...give me a fucking break. I think people who like them try to sound eclectic. Half the bands Ed likes suck and deep down he even knows it (Sleater-Kinney, Murder City Devils, etc..).

But hey, to each his own. You're entitled to listen to gay music if you like.

Heart,

Cory
    Revive the heart of the heartless...

Why would you start was has no end?
  • cory wrote:
    Half the bands Ed likes suck and deep down he even knows it (Sleater-Kinney

Wow. Ok.

Please go make up some more lame ass three chord songs. Those are ever so entertaining.
  • smarchee wrote:
    so the assumption is that musicians that stay within their own creative box are safe and don't deserve scorn ?

but those that challenge conventions are a threat to either the overall scene or those who bash them's lack of musicial appreciation for something they can't understand because going outside that box scares them

I just feel that, to the general public, musicians are expected to make the same music over and over again, and not change...and the bands that dare to change get bashed for it. It's just the trend I have noticed.
    Wow. Ok.

Please go make up some more lame ass three chord songs. Those are ever so entertaining.

Three chord songs are lame? Interesting. I wonder if Eddie fucking Vedder is aware of that.

I applaud your efforts but for the last time, I will not engage in gay sex with you. The offer is flattering. Thanks.

• cory wrote:
    Three chord songs are lame? Interesting. I wonder if Eddie fucking Vedder is aware of that. quote]

As a guitar player, there is only 1 three chords song in PJ's catalog...

Lukin.
    cory wrote:
    Three chord songs are lame? Interesting. I wonder if Eddie fucking Vedder is aware of that. quote]

Lukin.

nice comeback :)
    1998 ~ Barrie
    2003 ~ Toronto
    2005 ~ London, Toronto
    2006 ~ Toronto
    2014 - Detroit
    2019 - Chicago X 2
    cory wrote:

Lukin.

4 chords mr. guitar player. 4 power chords.

• cory wrote:

4 chords mr. guitar player. 4 power chords.

C, D, E

that makes 3...
    cory wrote:

C, D, E

that makes 3...

I tell you what. You record the motherfucker with your 3 chords and post it. If I'm wrong, I'll bite my left ball off. You're wrong. I just played the goddamned thing.

• cory wrote:

I tell you what. You record the motherfucker with your 3 chords and post it. If I'm wrong, I'll bite my left ball off. You're wrong. I just played the goddamned thing.
    Break out the chompers, fucker...

http://www.guitaretab.com/p/pearl-jam/14312.html
    cory wrote:
    Break out the chompers, fucker...

http://www.guitaretab.com/p/pearl-jam/14312.html

I'm not gonna give a man any credit who can't get a fucking lyric right.

I'm pretty sure name calling is frowned upon on here.

Post a picture of yourself. I wanna see who's talking to me like that....behind a computer monitor.

• cory wrote:

Post a picture of yourself. I wanna see who's talking to me like that....behind a computer monitor.

It's not about the lyric, it's about the tab...and I meant "fucker" the same way Ed does...in a playful way. You honestly think I am gonna insult you over a message board?...please.
  • I'm not gay and I listen to Radiohead, but all my boyfriends are and they listen to Slipnutz
    the Minions
    cory wrote:

It's not about the lyric, it's about the tab...and I meant "fucker" the same way Ed does...in a playful way. You honestly think I am gonna insult you over a message board?...please.

That's what I thought.

• cory wrote:

That's what I thought.
    Don't act like a penis...just accept that you were wrong about me insulting you.
    cory wrote:
    Don't act like a penis...just accept that you were wrong about me insulting you.

Penis...wow. I won't accept that. Look ladies, I just finished my 4th appraisal report today. I have 3 more to look at and write up tomorrow. I'll leave this childish internet bickering to you kids. If you need me tomorrow, I'll be at the fucking bank cashing checks.

Regards,

4 chords Lukin

True Story.

I'm not gay and I listen to Radiohead, but all my boyfriends are and they listen to Slipnutz

Radiohead = music for the weak

• I love Radiohead. And I don't just say that because I want to be eclectic. I really truly love their music. It moves me, as music is supposed to do. I don't get why my liking something that someone else doesn't invokes the "you're trying to be eclectic" comment.

The same argument arises when vinyl is mentioned. Who cares if I like it and you don't. I'm not trying to be weird or different, I just like it.

That said, the new Radiohead vinyl is way cooler than the new Radiohead CD! :)

EDIT**

Now that I think about it, only certain things would bring about the eclectic comment. I guarantee if this argument was about Queens of the Stone Age or some other band who had stayed on the long road to the middle, the word eclectic wouldn't have come up at all. But because it's Radiohead, a band who dared do something different, that's what it all of the sudden becomes.

I betcha an argument on Bjork would bring about the word eclectic too.
  • bog
  • SoupySoupy Posts: 171
    The thing that annoys me about alot of Radiohead fans is that they insist they love the 'Kid A' direction but won't then go and listen to more electronic/ambeient groups. It's like to them Radiohead created this sound and it sounds so unique to them because all their other records in their collection are guitar/rock based.

I swear if Radiohead did a classical album some fans would claim Radiohead invented orchestra music ;)

If you like 'Kid A' (Personally I hate it) go and explore other artists who have been making this type of music years before Radiohead decided to bring it to the indie kids.
  • glasshouseglasshouse Posts: 1,762
    cory wrote:

dude, i like your style. i do like radiohead as well though. sorry ;)

edit: unfortunately, since MASTODON spins in my car, you may not call me gay, even though i know you are dying to :)
    Athens, Greece: 2006/09/30

"Call me Ishmael. Some years ago- never mind how long precisely- having little or no money in my purse, and nothing particular to interest me on shore, I thought I would sail about a little and see the watery part of the world." Herman Melville : Moby Dick
  • cory wrote:

I'm assuming that you haven't heard their harder stuff. Try 'Electioneering,' 'Paranoid Android,' 'Bodysnatchers,' and the likes.
    2003 Mansfield III 
    2004 Boston I 
    2006 Boston I 
    2008 Bonnaroo, Hartford, Mansfield I 
    2010 Hartford 
    2013 Worcester I, Worcester II, Hartford 
    2016 Bonnaroo, Fenway I, Fenway II 
    2018 Fenway I, Fenway II 
    2021 Sea.Hear.Now
    2022 Camden
    2024 MSG I, Fenway I, Fenway II
  • cory wrote:

What the hell does that mean?
    'We're learning songs for baby Jesus' birthday. His mum and dad were Merry and Joseph. He had a bed made of clay and the three kings bought him Gold, Frankenstein and Merv as presents.'

- the great Sir Leo Harrison