Options

Live

Comments

• Options
    Live is one of my favorite bands, so I feel I must chime in...

I actually think Mental Jewelry is overrated. I think the 3 singles are good, but that is it.

Throwing Copper is awesome from start to finish. Aside from the hits, I really love "Top," "Waitress," and I think "White, Discussion" is one of the greatest songs ever.

Secret Samadhi is also very good. "Ghost," "Turn My Head," "Gas Hed Goes West," and Heropsychodreamer" are the standouts. My favorite song on here, though, is "Freaks." The only downside, though, is the lyrics to "Century" make me a little ill.

The Distance to Here may be my favorite album by anybody. The lyrics are a little existential (sp?) and preachy, but they are so sincere and cleverly written, I love it. I've probably listened to it 1,000 times since it came out in 1999. I think "They Stood Up for Love" has really brilliant lyrics. "Run to the Water" is also a wonderful song. "Dance With You" is my wedding song, so you know I love that. "Sparkle," "Face and Ghost," and "Feel the Quiet River Rage' are also good.

V is kind of a paradox. It was so bad it was kind of good. I think Live was trying to be Limp Bizkit for a little while. This one may be worth picking up in a used bin or burning from a friend. Check out "Simple Creed," "Overcome," "Like a Soldier," "Transmit Your Love" and "The Ride." Also, "People Like You" is hysterical.

Birds of Pray is ok. "Heaven," "The Sanctity of Dreams," "Rrivertowne," and "Like I Do" are all good. "She' is the best song here.

Sorry I got a little wordy here, but I really do love Live's music and am always willing to talk in depth about them
    I love my female wife...
    we sit around and wonder exactly why our marriage should feel threatened by gay marriage
  • Options
    AxlUlrichAxlUlrich Posts: 12,652
    "People Like You" has to be the worst Live song ever released.
    i like "Forever May Not be Long Enough" from V among others.
    LIVERPOOL FC -18 time League Champions-15 time Charity Shield Holders-7 time League Cup Winners-7 time FA Cup Winners-5 time European Champions-4 time UEFA Cup Winners-3 time European Super Cup Winners-1 time World Super Cup Winners

Walk on with hope in your heart
    YNWA
  • Options
    AxlUlrich wrote:
    "People Like You" has to be the worst Live song ever released.
    i like "Forever May Not be Long Enough" from V among others.

Really, worse than "Flow" or "Ok?" I always liked "People Like You," but those 2 make me ill.

i agree about "Forever..." its very unique
    I love my female wife...
    we sit around and wonder exactly why our marriage should feel threatened by gay marriage
  • Options
    Really, worse than "Flow" or "Ok?" I always liked "People Like You," but those 2 make me ill.

i agree about "Forever..." its very unique
    yeh to me it is the worst ever..though "Flow" does make me ponder :D
    overall i still like V..it has enough good tracks on it for me to love it.

FMNBLE was one track i immediately liked...and til today still do.
    LIVERPOOL FC -18 time League Champions-15 time Charity Shield Holders-7 time League Cup Winners-7 time FA Cup Winners-5 time European Champions-4 time UEFA Cup Winners-3 time European Super Cup Winners-1 time World Super Cup Winners

YNWA
  • Options
    Lightning Crashes is one of my favourite songs.
    2006 - Astoria, Dublin, Leeds
    2007 - London
    2009 - London, Manchester, London
    2010 - Dublin, Belfast, London
    2011 - Alpine Valley x2
    2012 - Isle of Wight, Manchester x2
  • Options
    Lightning Crashes is one of my favourite songs.

Lightning Crashes may be my favorite hit song ever. I still listen to it all the time.
    I love my female wife...
  • Options
    Flannel ShirtFlannel Shirt Posts: 1,021
    drew0 wrote:
    Looking for some recommendations. I'm listening to Dolphins Cry, and I find it pretty good. What are some other songs to check out?
    white discussion
    10,000 years peace is now

the damn at otter creek is a sweet album intro.
    century is good too.

they are a really good band. check all their stuff out...its all pretty good.
    All that's sacred, comes from youth....dedications, naive and true.
  • Options
    melodyman22melodyman22 Posts: 326
    on the album V, which i think is a great album, Overcome, simple creed, people like you, fools of love, all are great songs i think that album is good
  • Options
    the damn at otter creek is a sweet album intro.

...yes, it is a good intro. But, one thing Live does really well is close albums.
    (ignoring Copper's hidden track) "White Discussion," "Gas Hed Goes West" and "Dance With You" are 3 of the all time great closers
    I love my female wife...
  • Options
    Human TideHuman Tide Posts: 319
    drew0 wrote:
    Looking for some recommendations. I'm listening to Dolphins Cry, and I find it pretty good. What are some other songs to check out?

Mental Jewelry is a masterpiece in my opinion.
  • Options
    lukin321lukin321 Charlotte, NC Posts: 864
    I've been into live since about '94 I think and have seen the 5 times. Always a great live show, really talented guys. I have to agree about V, defintely their worst album but there are a few good songs that make it worth having. And I actually really enjoyed Birds of Pray from start to finish. I just got a copy of Songs From Black Mountain but haven't given it a spin yet so we'll see how that one is.
    9/1/98, 8/9/00, 8/12/00, 4/11/03, 4/12/03, 4/13/03, 4/19/03, 9/28/04, 9/29/04, 10/1/04, 10/2/04, 10/3/04, 10/8/04, 5/27/06, 5/28/06, 6/11/08, 6/12/08, 10/27/09, 10/28/09, 10/30/09, 10/31/09, 10/30/2013, 4/8/2016, 4/9/2016, 4/11/2016, 4/13/2016
  • Options
    darthvedder88darthvedder88 Posts: 1,023
    Lakini's Juice is my favorite song from them!!! But yeah, Live had some great stuff back in the day. Their new stuff is decent, but it's better than most of the crap out there today.
    "Darth Vader would say 'Impressive'."

-Eddie Vedder

6/24/06 Cincinatti, Ohio
    6/14/08 Manchester, Tennessee
  • Options
    on the album V, which i think is a great album, Overcome, simple creed, people like you, fools of love, all are great songs i think that album is good
    besides FMNBLE...i like Deep Enough and Hero of Love.
    underrated album definitely.

YNWA
  • Options
    toddiet123toddiet123 Posts: 271
    Throwing Copper and Mental Jewelry is all you need.
  • Options
    alpittalpitt Posts: 91
    Posted a little about this in the thread about their album, but as a former huge Live fan, and a now disgruntled fan I could talk about Live for hours. I'm actually suprised, and pleased to see this much talk about them amongst Jammers.

Mental Jewelry- I agree (with whoever said it) it's a bit overrated. There are some great tracks, but keep in mind they're in their early 20's here and are pretty naive with some of their lyrics. I do like a lot of songs on it though: Operation Spirit, Good Pain, 10,000 years, etc. Nothing bad on it really.

Throwing Copper- Obviously great. Perfect mix of rockers and mellowed out (but not in a campire sorta way), deep songs ala TBD and Pillar of Davidson which are awesome. Favorites here are: Iris, White Discussion, Shit Towne

Secret Samhadi- My favorite from Live. This is the weird,dark album that some bands do after a lot of success. It took awhile for this one to grow on me but once it did it all clicked. Now either they were really messed up on drugs or whatever, I don't know, but the lyrics are downright bizarre which is partly why I love it. Every song is great, with Gost being my alltime favorite song from them

The Distance to Here- Just an all around solid album. So many good songs, many of them rocking, many chilled ones as well. I probably listened to this one the most out of all my Live cd's. Favorite is definitely Meltdown follow by Feel the Quiet River Rage

V- I totally agree with whoever said it was so bad it's good. The thing is I knew it was bad when it was released but I kept listening and kept listening to it. What can I say some of the songs are just fun, obviously not great or deep, just fun and occaisionally rocking. I mean looking back at the tracklist, the only one I really don't like is Fools of Love, and I shouldn't like a lot more. Favorite is Like a Soldier.

Birds of Pray- From the title to the switch to the adult contemporary format, I was disappointed for the most part. There were glimmers of hope but were mostly crushed by the rest of the album. I did really like Lighthouse, Rivertown, and Like I Do though. And I have to say, no matter how cheesy Everytime I See Your Face is, it's catchy as hell.

Songs From Black Mountain- It's over with me and Live.
    "I'm an ideas man Michael, I think I proved that with F*ck Mountain" -GOB
  • Options
    NakedClownNakedClown Posts: 545
    Ed needs to sit down - watch these videos - remember what it was like to be this young man - and write a new record. I don't think we can give up on LIVE.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Bj-X6EO3GZk (OPERATION SPIRIT)

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=hge8yfUoD_I (PILLAR OF MOTHER FUCKING DAVIDSON)

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=3USLEIG1rC4 (SUPERNATURAL -VIC CHESTNUTT SONG)

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=BTumbrj3ySc (THE DISTANCE)
  • Options
    just got SFBM dualdisc and must say its alot better than expected.
    it's not as bad as people say though i think Get Ready is a horrible song..it's just a little softer than BOP but around the same style.

YNWA
  • Options
    KlumpieKlumpie Posts: 2,649
    AxlUlrich wrote:
    just got SFBM dualdisc and must say its alot better than expected.
    it's not as bad as people say though i think Get Ready is a horrible song..it's just a little softer than BOP but around the same style.

You only heard it once?
  • Options
    Klumpie wrote:
    You only heard it once?
    heard it twice now..still feel its a decent album..not the greatest but there are good tracks..only Get Ready is abit of a turn off on this album for me.
    its a very good album to chill out to also..Ed sounds great as usual.
    the dvd side is my favorite with acoustic tracks,commentary and The River video.

YNWA
  • Options
    How did you get the dual disc? Did you order from overseas?
  • Options
    NakedClown wrote:
    How did you get the dual disc? Did you order from overseas?
    yup got it from a UK site for GBP10.99 ..couldnt wait til June

YNWA
  • Options
    Might have to do that myself...
  • Options
    NakedClown wrote:
    Might have to do that myself...
    yeh got it from this site
    http://www5.cd-wow.com/
    they offer free delivery worldwide as well..not a bad deal.

YNWA
  • Options
    first 4 albums absolutly rock this newer stuff just makes me think they are closer and closer to appearing on TRL!
    6-23-06...Pittsburgh,PA

www.myspace.com/hattricks412
  • Options
    after a few listens..i still dig this new album..it makes me happy and im starting to like the only track i hated too after watching the acoustic performance on the dvd side.

YNWA
  • Options
    The big hook for me is Ed's vocal range. When he hit's those crazy notes ala "Sparkle" from TDTH I melt like butter. Call them a guilty rock pleasure these dayz, but I'll be first in line to pick their new one when it's released here. I'm all fucked up though cos I adore "V"
  • Options
    The big hook for me is Ed's vocal range. When he hit's those crazy notes ala "Sparkle" from TDTH I melt like butter. Call them a guilty rock pleasure these dayz, but I'll be first in line to pick their new one when it's released here. I'm all fucked up though cos I adore "V"
    yeh his vocals are amazing..one of me all time faves.
    dont worry..you're not the only one who adores "V" :D

YNWA
  • Options
    Boekel ManBoekel Man Posts: 145
    SFBM is a great record. Very happy, very uplifting. And thank god, no new TC.
    I like driving backwards in the fog, 'cause it doesn't remind of anything...
  • Options
    Boekel Man wrote:
    SFBM is a great record. Very happy, very uplifting. And thank god, no new TC.
    yeh i agree..i wouldn't wanna hear another Throwing Copper..im glad the band makes music that they feel comfortable with and not music that would ensure them a platinum album.

YNWA
  • Options
    OmaramaOmarama Posts: 267
    they're getting a bit like nickelback, in that they aren't experimenting with different musical styles.but on the whole they are a pretty decent band
    Monty Got a Raw Deal

" makes much more sense to live in the present tense "