Options

Live

drew0drew0 Posts: 943
edited April 2006 in Other Music
Looking for some recommendations. I'm listening to Dolphins Cry, and I find it pretty good. What are some other songs to check out?
Pittsburgh 6/23/06
Madison Square Garden 6/25/08
Post edited by Unknown User on

Comments

• Options
    restlesssoulrestlesssoul Posts: 6,941
    anything off secret samadhi!!...i loved that album....but i lost it and have never gotten it back, in fact, ill will go download it now, thanks for the reminder....
    Van '98, Sea I+II '00, Sea '01, Sea II '02, Van '03, Gorge, Van, Cal, Edm '05, Bos I+II, Phi I+II, DC, SF II+III, Port, Gorge I+II '06, DC, NY I+II '08, Sea I+II, Van, Ridge , LA III+IV' 09, Indy '10, Cal, Van '11, Lond, Van, Sea '13, Memphis '14, RRHOF '17, Sea I+II '18
  • Options
    restlesssoulrestlesssoul Posts: 6,941
    i couldnt find it. :( wwwwaaaaaaaaaaa
    Van '98, Sea I+II '00, Sea '01, Sea II '02, Van '03, Gorge, Van, Cal, Edm '05, Bos I+II, Phi I+II, DC, SF II+III, Port, Gorge I+II '06, DC, NY I+II '08, Sea I+II, Van, Ridge , LA III+IV' 09, Indy '10, Cal, Van '11, Lond, Van, Sea '13, Memphis '14, RRHOF '17, Sea I+II '18
  • Options
    Atomic PunkAtomic Punk Posts: 2,941
    drew0 wrote:
    Looking for some recommendations. I'm listening to Dolphins Cry, and I find it pretty good. What are some other songs to check out?

Everything from the 3 albums before that is great. Throwing Copper ranks as one of my favorite albums of all time.
    White Discussion, Iris, TBD, The Dam at Otter Creek, Shit Towne, Stage....all great tracks...the whole album is great..
  • Options
    PissBottleManPissBottleMan Union City, TN Posts: 4,154
    Beauty of Gray from Mental Jewelry

I still remember their first video on Mtv for Operation Spirit...back when I was a freshman in high school...they were a bunch of kids.

White, Discussion has always been a favorite.

Throwing Copper is solid from start to finish.

PBM
    "We paced ourselves and we didn't rush through it and we tried to be as creative as our collective minds would let us be over some course of time instead of just trying to rush through a record"

Wishlist Foundation: http://wishlistfoundation.org
  • Options
    bluemonkeybluemonkey Posts: 198
    not to bash live,but i couldn't imagine listening to their new album.i thought they stopped making music in 96'.
  • Options
    bluemonkey wrote:
    not to bash live,but i couldn't imagine listening to their new album.i thought they stopped making music in 96'.

Unfortunately a lot of people say the same thing about Pearl Jam...

I do not care for anything after the Distance to Here save for a few tracks, but a very few...
  • Options
    momofglynnmomofglynn Posts: 849
    Beauty of Gray from Mental Jewelry

I still remember their first video on Mtv for Operation Spirit...back when I was a freshman in high school...they were a bunch of kids.

White, Discussion has always been a favorite.

Throwing Copper is solid from start to finish.

PBM

ME TOO!!!! I saw that video and I was like "who is this band?" They were really good. Throwing Copper is a masterpiece. Someone started a thread yesterday about PJ playing at Nokia in NYC, when I was checking out the schedule, Live is playing there in May. They were great to see. The drummer really impressed me a lot. Highly recommend seeing them!
    Let's Go Red Sox!
  • Options
    momofglynn wrote:
    ME TOO!!!! I saw that video and I was like "who is this band?" They were really good. Throwing Copper is a masterpiece. Someone started a thread yesterday about PJ playing at Nokia in NYC, when I was checking out the schedule, Live is playing there in May. They were great to see. The drummer really impressed me a lot. Highly recommend seeing them!

Their live show peaked during the Samadhi tour. They have been going steadily downhill since. (I have seen them 10 times from the Samadhi tour through the release of Birds..) Ed is waaay to much of a preacher now, and the catalog has too much crap in it now. When they play the old stuff it rocks, no doubt, but there is too much filler now.
  • Options
    Ed is waaay to much of a preacher now, and the catalog has too much crap in it now. When they play the old stuff it rocks, no doubt, but there is too much filler now.

Really? What does he do?

PBM
    "We paced ourselves and we didn't rush through it and we tried to be as creative as our collective minds would let us be over some course of time instead of just trying to rush through a record"

• Options
    I've seen them in concert about 6 times and have tickets to see them next month. I've always liked +Live+ and am almost as excited to see them as I am for the 2 PJ shows I'm going to in July.
    Tell the captain 'This boats not safe and we're drowning.'
    Turns out he's the one making waves
  • Options
    Really? What does he do?

PBM

The last couple of times I saw them he would talk for long periods of time about everyone loving everyone else...all peace love and happiness stuff. Not that the message was necessarily wrong, but he would have the band break down a song, like Stood Up for Love for instance, and during the 5 minute breakdown he would walk around the place having everyone chant LOVE! LOVE! LOVE! He would stop and talk way too much. It went from being a real hardcore rock and roll show the first 4 or 5 times I saw them to being a 'love-in'. He just got really soft. I am probably not painting an appropriate picture to justify what I mean, it's kind of hard to explain and does not look all that bad on paper, but standing through it time after time after he never used to do it is brutal.
  • Options
    chris01chris01 Posts: 559
    Just buy Throwing Copper and Secret Samadhi, and possibly Distance to Here.

Throwing Copper is a must though, awesome album.
  • Options
    AxlUlrichAxlUlrich Posts: 12,652
    Mental Jewelry is an essential too if you ask me.
    LIVERPOOL FC -18 time League Champions-15 time Charity Shield Holders-7 time League Cup Winners-7 time FA Cup Winners-5 time European Champions-4 time UEFA Cup Winners-3 time European Super Cup Winners-1 time World Super Cup Winners

Walk on with hope in your heart
    YNWA
  • Options
    melodyman22melodyman22 Posts: 326
    whats going on, here you people saying get only there first 3 albums, which are great but V and birds of prey are great albums to live rules and i cant wait for songs from black mountain
  • Options
    karma defectkarma defect Posts: 5,483
    The first two albums are the best in my book. Mental jewelry and Throwing copper.
    « One man's glory is another man's hell.
    You’re on the outside, never bound by such a spell.
    Together in the darkness, alone in the light.
    I took it upon me to be yours, Timmy,
    I’ll lead your angels and demons at play tonight......»
  • Options
    KlumpieKlumpie Posts: 2,649
    The first 4 albums!
  • Options
    but V and birds of prey are great albums to

no, they're not
  • Options
    melodyman22melodyman22 Posts: 326
    well i like all there albums there one of the best bands from the 90s hands down and eds a great singer
  • Options
    cincybearcatcincybearcat Posts: 16,131
    The last couple of times I saw them he would talk for long periods of time about everyone loving everyone else...all peace love and happiness stuff. Not that the message was necessarily wrong, but he would have the band break down a song, like Stood Up for Love for instance, and during the 5 minute breakdown he would walk around the place having everyone chant LOVE! LOVE! LOVE! He would stop and talk way too much. It went from being a real hardcore rock and roll show the first 4 or 5 times I saw them to being a 'love-in'. He just got really soft. I am probably not painting an appropriate picture to justify what I mean, it's kind of hard to explain and does not look all that bad on paper, but standing through it time after time after he never used to do it is brutal.

BUt do you like it when Vedder does the same things?

I saw them last year out in Anaheim at the House of Blues. It was a good concert, but certainly not as rockin' as they use to be. They played several of the new songs out there and they were pretty slow. Might come off a bit better on an album or once I know the songs. ;)

Live is a solid band. Good live act usually. Obviously, Throwing Copper is their best album...though Mental Jewelry and TDTH are very close in my opinion.

I will say that minus a few songs...V sucked pretty bad.

Anyhow, still a band I really enjoy but they have fallen from my #2 spot when they released 'V'. But I still try and see them live whenever I can. Saw them do a show at the Rock n' Roll Hall of Fame in Cleveland, my brother got me backstage passes from a radio station he was working for at the time. Really cool guys actually.
    hippiemom = goodness
  • Options
    cant wait for the new album as well..for some reason it's been postponed til June 13th so i ordered the dualdisc from UK since it's already been released there

i don't think V was that bad either..it has some gems and maybe only 2-3 bad tunes
    LIVERPOOL FC -18 time League Champions-15 time Charity Shield Holders-7 time League Cup Winners-7 time FA Cup Winners-5 time European Champions-4 time UEFA Cup Winners-3 time European Super Cup Winners-1 time World Super Cup Winners

YNWA
  • Options
    KlumpieKlumpie Posts: 2,649
    V, Birds of Pray and Songs from Black Mountain never reached the level they reached with the first 4 albums. I don't say there bad, but I prefer the first 4 albums.
  • Options
    ZosoZoso Posts: 6,425
    all live songs are fucking terrible...
    I'm just flying around the other side of the world to say I love you

Sha la la la i'm in love with a jersey girl

I love you forever and forever :)

Adel 03 Melb 1 03 LA 2 06 Santa Barbara 06 Gorge 1 06 Gorge 2 06 Adel 1 06 Adel 2 06 Camden 1 08 Camden 2 08 Washington DC 08 Hartford 08
  • Options
    Zoso wrote:
    all live songs are fucking terrible...

Now that we know you're opinion...could you give examples?

;)

PBM

• Options
    Now that we know you're opinion...could you give examples?

;)

PBM

well they are right up ther with nickelback, matchbox 20 and creed as the worst rock bands of all time... rock is used very loosely here.

Adel 03 Melb 1 03 LA 2 06 Santa Barbara 06 Gorge 1 06 Gorge 2 06 Adel 1 06 Adel 2 06 Camden 1 08 Camden 2 08 Washington DC 08 Hartford 08
  • Options
    Zoso wrote:
    well they are right up ther with nickelback, matchbox 20 and creed as the worst rock bands of all time... rock is used very loosely here.
    what have you heard from Live?

YNWA
  • Options
    AxlUlrich wrote:
    what have you heard from Live?

I bought throwing copper, MJ and have heard most of their singles ever since and its just isnt good at all... sorry. No cred.

• Options
    Zoso wrote:

I wouldn't go that far...I've heard some really great stuff...as I mentioned before White, Discussion is a great song...Beauty of Gray is another...Lakini's Juice is a great rock song.

I wouldn't lump them into a specific category too quickly. I respect your opinion, but give them another chance.

PBM

• Options
    sickwilliesickwillie Posts: 178
    AxlUlrich wrote:
    for some reason it's been postponed til June 13th

Well, the latest issue of Paste magazine gave it half a star... maybe Ed read it and decided the album needed a little touching up. Personally, I like most of what they've done, but 'V' did seem to kill them creatively. They haven't taken any chances since.

'Birds of Pray' was a pretty much a straightforward lite rock album (with the obvious exception of a couple of rockers), and I expect 'Songs From Black Mountain' to be lighter still. Unfortunately, I think I might be finished with this band. Oh well, I'll always have 'Pillar of Davidson'.
    "We've done really well with teenage death songs." -EV
  • Options
    Jammin909Jammin909 Posts: 888
    As in the other +Live+ thread from the other day, Live has not made an album I dont like. They are in no way close to my favorite band but they have made consistantly good albums, of course some better than others- but they dont have a bad album IMO.

They are in no way similar to Creed or Nickelback. I only saw them once like 5 years ago and dont know about all the LOVE chants, which sound corny, but they still have more integrity as artists than a Creed. I am from Pennsylvania so I may be bias but you havent given them a fair shot if you hate them.
    The less you know, the more you believe.
  • Options
    Boekel ManBoekel Man Posts: 145
    Jammin909 wrote:
    As in the other +Live+ thread from the other day, Live has not made an album I dont like. They are in no way close to my favorite band but they have made consistantly good albums, of course some better than others- but they dont have a bad album IMO.

They are in no way similar to Creed or Nickelback. I only saw them once like 5 years ago and dont know about all the LOVE chants, which sound corny, but they still have more integrity as artists than a Creed. I am from Pennsylvania so I may be bias but you havent given them a fair shot if you hate them.

A-men....!
    I like driving backwards in the fog, 'cause it doesn't remind of anything...