Led Zeppelin = ripoffs? (On Howard Stern)

13»

Comments

• led zepp is my favorite band and i knew they stole from other artists on their first album, but some people here should at least check their facts as for giving credits on their albums. the fact is that songs: i cant quit you babe and you shook me were both always credited to willie dixon, not page/plant. same goes for im babe gonna leave you, which was credited to joan beaz as well. even on the first printing as far as i know.
    the other songs were zepps, altough some riffs were taken from someone else as well. that was the problem: parts of the songs not songs as a whole.
    willie dixon sued them for lyrics in whole lotta love from their second album. and i think we can all agree that the song is remebered for the music and not those silly lyrics.

p.s.: the douchebag comparing bonham to jazz drumers... we all know jazz drumers are leage of their own. every good jazz drumer is technically better than the best rock drumer. as are rock drumers better than drumer playing polka in local pub. so dont be fucking elitist.
    make tea not love
  • TheGossmanTheGossman Posts: 1,120
    wow, I just actually started getting into Zeppelin, and my all time favorite songs are Dazed and Confused and Stairway, and I can't believe the similarites, I am aware that some artists use will use other artists riffs here and there but they will usually give them credit....and just for the record whoever said Even Flow and is a ripp off of voodoo chile needs to learn how to play a fuckin guitar!
    9/4/98, 8/4/00, 12/8/02, 12/9/02, 4/15/03, 4/16/03, 4/19/03, 4/25/03, 4/26/03, 4/28/03, 4/29/03, 4/30/03, 7/8/03, 7/9/03, 9/28/04, 9/29/04, 10/6/04, 9/1/05, 9/2/05, 5/16/06, 5/17/06, 5/27/06, 5/28/06, 5/30/06, 6/1/06, 6/3/06, 8/5/07, 6/11/08, 6/12/08, 6/14/08, 6/16/08, 6/24/08, 6/25/08
  • TheGossman wrote:
    wow, I just actually started getting into Zeppelin, and my all time favorite songs are Dazed and Confused and Stairway, and I can't believe the similarites, I am aware that some artists use will use other artists riffs here and there but they will usually give them credit....and just for the record whoever said Even Flow and is a ripp off of voodoo chile needs to learn how to play a fuckin guitar!

I don't really consider Stairway to be a ripoff of Taurus. It's more like a reworking of it. It's technically very different even if it sounds similar. as for Dazed and Confused. yeah, that's Jake Holmes song. Page stole the descending main riff and the TITLE. the thing is that Page's version was so reworked and different (the bow, the big guitar solo, new lyrics and Bonzo's amazing drumming) that it should have said something like "written by Jake Holmes, arranged by Jimmy Page" or the fact that the middle part is so different could even warrent it being credited as Jimmy Page/Jake Holmes. It's my favorite Zep song and continues to be but Page is way in the wrong here. One good thing is that it made me seek out Holmes' 'Above Ground Sound' album and it's really good.

But as far as really blatant Zep ripoffs go, The Lemon Song is the EXACT same song as Killing Floor by Howlin' Wolf with guitar parts replacing brass. the lyrics to the outro for How Many More Times (They call me the hunter, that's my name) are the opening lyrics to 'The Hunter' by Albert King. Also, White Summer and Black Mountain Slide are traditional songs that were not written by Page. but he claimed writing credit. again, it should have been 'traditional, arranged by Jimmy Page"

I think the heart of every Zep fan drops when they first hear about this. mine sure did when I first heard Holmes' Dazed and Confused about five or six years ago (I initially thought HE was covering THEM). In the end though, the albums still rock, Page still wails like some evil sorcerer, and because I've sought out the original recordings of many of Zep's early influences, I've been turned on to guys like Jake Holmes, Willie Dixon, and Bert Jansch.....guys I probably never would have got into otherwise.
    2000: Camden 1, 2003: Philly, State College, Camden 1, MSG 2, Hershey, 2004: Reading, 2005: Philly, 2006: Camden 1, 2, East Rutherford 1, 2007: Lollapalooza, 2008: Camden 1, Washington D.C., MSG 1, 2, 2009: Philly 1, 2, 3, 4, 2010: Bristol, MSG 2, 2011: PJ20 1, 2, 2012: Made In America, 2013: Brooklyn 2, Philly 2, 2014: Denver, 2015: Global Citizen Festival, 2016: Philly 2, Fenway 1, 2018: Fenway 1, 2, 2021: Sea. Hear. Now. 2022: Camden, 2024Philly 2

Pearl Jam bootlegs:
    http://wegotshit.blogspot.com
  • TheGossmanTheGossman Posts: 1,120
    I would still say Page is still the 2nd best guitarist (behind hendrix) just because of the fuckin black dog and going to california riff, but he loses so much credibilty in my opinion. He still wrote some amazing riffs, but stealing and not giving credit is so shallow in my opinion. I will still go see Zeppelin if they tour, but like the previous post said, I lost some respect for them!
    9/4/98, 8/4/00, 12/8/02, 12/9/02, 4/15/03, 4/16/03, 4/19/03, 4/25/03, 4/26/03, 4/28/03, 4/29/03, 4/30/03, 7/8/03, 7/9/03, 9/28/04, 9/29/04, 10/6/04, 9/1/05, 9/2/05, 5/16/06, 5/17/06, 5/27/06, 5/28/06, 5/30/06, 6/1/06, 6/3/06, 8/5/07, 6/11/08, 6/12/08, 6/14/08, 6/16/08, 6/24/08, 6/25/08
  • MojopinMojopin Posts: 216
    This whole subject has been around since they were calling themselves 'The New Yardbirds'. Its even more humorous now...

Mojo
    "A consistently good band works all the different elements well. A song has to appeal sentimentally, intellectually, physically, viscerally, and dig deep down into your soul and suck you into it. And after that, of course, it'd be a matter of taste." ~ Kim Thayil from Soundgarden
  • MLC2006MLC2006 Posts: 861
    there are no tangible similarities between "Even Flow" and "Voodoo Chile". if you can't point out the exact instances in each song, then you're full of shit for even making such a claim as "a total ripoff".

also, there are minimal similarities between "Little Wing" and "Yellow Ledbetter". this was a false rumor that was started by McCready himself and has been passed along. they both have a similar laid back feel, but they are completely different chord progressions and as far as I know, there are no riffs or licks that are copied. Hendrix had a trick of hammering-on on 7th chords that has been repeated by a lot of guitarists, and this is probably what McCready was referring to, but that's not a "rip off"...Hendrix doesn't hold a patent on chords or hammer-ons.

if you want to hear a PJ song sound similar to something else, listen to "Given To Fly" followed by Led Zep's "Going to California". those are similar, not in music or lyrics, but in the singing style. but as far as I know, you can't put a patent on singing style, or chord progression.

Kenny Wayne Sheppard had a song that was a blatant rippoff of "Yellow Ledbetter". I think it was called "While We Cry" or something similar. now THAT one could have been a law suit.

as for the topic, I agree that Led Zep have ripped a lot of people off. I've heard the proof and it's undeniable. even "Stairway to Heaven" was ripped off from some little known band that once opened for Zep. I still don't think it negates the fact that they are great musicians and possibly the greatest rock band ever. I do however think the appropriate people should be paid when they come calling.
  • ok i didnt read all the post but i saw it mentioned sorta but i need to point out this example, if it wasnt already. seems some people are like 'oh zeppelin may have ripped off some people but its ok musicians do that' but isnt that the reason why we all hate creed cause scott trys to be vedder? seems like a double standard. in that tired of hearing about zeppelin thread i mention the whole rip off thing. this really is old news but im surprised how many people stand up for zeppelin when if some other band pulled this there would be hate threads about them. and the excuse that everyone at that time was doing this is crap. dylan wrote his own stuff so did the beatles. hendrix gave credit.

zeppelin are a bunch of talented musicians, but they are not artist.

one reason why i have always picked the who in the classic who vs zeppelin debate. pete wrote what he felt. page/plant played what others wrote.