Led Zeppelin = ripoffs? (On Howard Stern)

Comments

• SathogwaSathogwa Posts: 227
    People did sue and they paid up.

I know, it's a shame it took a lawsuit.
    Sleep on horseback
    Far moon in a continuing dream
    Steam of roasting tea

--Basho
  • Ledbetterman10Ledbetterman10 Posts: 16,853
    NickyNooch wrote:

WOW. I am a Zeppelin fan, so I understand the rebuttals I'll get, but after listening to the proof (they played clips from the other bands where lyrics were BLATANTLY ripped off) I'm convinced... Zeppelin ripped off a LOT of people.

welcome to about 10 years ago when I first heard of Jake Holmes original Dazed and Confused.
    2000: Camden 1, 2003: Philly, State College, Camden 1, MSG 2, Hershey, 2004: Reading, 2005: Philly, 2006: Camden 1, 2, East Rutherford 1, 2007: Lollapalooza, 2008: Camden 1, Washington D.C., MSG 1, 2, 2009: Philly 1, 2, 3, 4, 2010: Bristol, MSG 2, 2011: PJ20 1, 2, 2012: Made In America, 2013: Brooklyn 2, Philly 2, 2014: Denver, 2015: Global Citizen Festival, 2016: Philly 2, Fenway 1, 2018: Fenway 1, 2, 2021: Sea. Hear. Now. 2022: Camden, 2024Philly 2

Pearl Jam bootlegs:
    http://wegotshit.blogspot.com
  • RyeGuyRyeGuy Posts: 215
    i thought this was common knowledge by now. Lots of bands do the same thing but Zep takes a lot of shit for cause they are considered of of the best bands of all time. But this won't make me enjoy Zep any less at all.
    "Makes much more sense to live in the present tense." Ed Ved

"No one cares about climbing stairs, Nothing at the top no more." Chris Cornell
  • Alex_CoeAlex_Coe Posts: 762
    RockMan wrote:
    i thought this was common knowledge by now. Lots of bands do the same thing but Zep takes a lot of shit for cause they are considered of of the best bands of all time. But this won't make me enjoy Zep any less at all.

This is why music is such a difficult art- it is almost impossible to write something unique, but it's also unnaceptable to steal another's work. Writing and composing music is pretty much officially harder than brain surgery.

(I've tried to write many, many, many songs and I've thought up only 1 that I consider truly original... :cries: )
  • glasshouseglasshouse Posts: 1,762
    I beg your pardon? It would be grossly idiotic, musicologically illiterate and downright risible to assume John Bonham was anything but grossly inferior to many, many jazz drummers of his period.

"many many" you say?
    name me 5. i double dare you

you are way funny my brother
    Athens, Greece: 2006/09/30

"Call me Ishmael. Some years ago- never mind how long precisely- having little or no money in my purse, and nothing particular to interest me on shore, I thought I would sail about a little and see the watery part of the world." Herman Melville : Moby Dick
    I beg your pardon? It would be grossly idiotic, musicologically illiterate and downright risible to assume John Bonham was anything but grossly inferior to many, many jazz drummers of his period.

you know what my brother, i am actually seriously pissed off by your post. i mean, i listen to jazz as i listen to rock. don't try and tell me anything bout charles mingus and miles davis and whatnot.but you come in here with your dick all hard and dismiss one of the greatest drummers of all time.
    not cool dude. even less intelligent. music snobbery is kind of bland by the way.

"Call me Ishmael. Some years ago- never mind how long precisely- having little or no money in my purse, and nothing particular to interest me on shore, I thought I would sail about a little and see the watery part of the world." Herman Melville : Moby Dick
  • InkdaubInkdaub Posts: 235
    I thought it was well known that Zep ripped a lot of their music off. I also thought much of the original artists were credited in the liner notes? Maybe not or maybe that was a change that came later when they got caught.

Zep is a great band and I like their recorded music. I think the reason that many people enjoy calling them down for this is that they came off as being so incredibly in love with themselves.
  • glasshouse wrote:
    you know what my brother, i am actually seriously pissed off by your post. i mean, i listen to jazz as i listen to rock. don't try and tell me anything bout charles mingus and miles davis and whatnot.but you come in here with your dick all hard and dismiss one of the greatest drummers of all time.
    not cool dude. even less intelligent. music snobbery is kind of bland by the way.

I'm pleased you're pissed off by my post. I simply related how a master drummer such as Dannie Richmond lampooned Bonham's legendary lack of subtlety.

And who are you trying to copy, with this "my brother" crap?
  • fadafada Posts: 1,032
    Anyone have examples I can hear ?

And who are you trying to copy, with this "my brother" crap?

the squid and the whale. check it out my brother

• Totally shocked. No one can deny it really especially when you hear how similar the Joan Baez song and some of the others. This is hardly just elaborating on the Blues as their defenders would say. They are flat out rip off artists. Interesting that they sold their catalogue of music isn't it? Perhaps they wanted to pass on the copywrite infringment to someone else.
  • You guys dont get it. They didnt steal classic blues riffs. Everyone has done that. They stole full songs from total unknowns and got caught red handed. Listen to the Stern interview. I would hardly call stealing from Joan Baez poaching the blues. Far from it. They even stole Stariway To Heaven. It wasn't even close. Further proof was given that on the otiginal album they credited themselves with the tracks and later, when those same tracks went onto the greatest hits albums, they had to change the credits. If anyone still has a vinyl collection check it out. Even worse, they sold their entire catalogue back to Atlantic Records. Or more accurately they sold them their lawsuits. Interesting, isn't it, that the Zepplin catalogue STILL can't be found on ITUNES? One word - LITIGATION.
  • soulsingingsoulsinging Posts: 13,202
    how come led zeppelin can outright rip people off for their entire first album, try to hide it from everyone, and people have a mountain of excuses for them; but kings of leon had somebody co-writing their first album, openly gave credit for it, and they can never be forgiven for "not writing their own songs."
  • how come led zeppelin can outright rip people off for their entire first album, try to hide it from everyone, and people have a mountain of excuses for them; but kings of leon had somebody co-writing their first album, openly gave credit for it, and they can never be forgiven for "not writing their own songs."

Well if you listen to the Stern interview Zep got caught red handed.
  • Allegations of plagiarism
    When Led Zeppelin's debut album was released, it received generally positive reviews. However, John Mendelsohn of Rolling Stone magazine, criticized the band for stealing music, notably "Black Mountain Side" from Bert Jansch's "Black Water Side" and the riff from "Your Time Is Gonna Come" from Traffic's "Dear Mr. Fantasy". He also accused the band of mimicking black artists, and showing off. This marked the beginning of a long rift between the band and the magazine, with Led Zeppelin rejecting later requests for interviews and cover stories as their level of success escalated.[33]

One song from the album, "Dazed and Confused", was a song originally written by Jake Holmes on his album "The Above Ground Sound" of Jake Holmes. The Yardbirds, Jimmy Page's old band, had made a version called "I'm Confused", and Page reworked the song again for Led Zeppelin's debut recording, with Holmes having never received any royalty payments for their recording.[77] Holmes did not file suit over the song, although he did send the band a letter stating "I understand it's a collaborative effort, but I think you should give me some credit at least and some remunity." His letter was never replied to and he did not follow up on it.[77] Holmes is however also reported to have said "what the hell, let him [Page] have it [Dazed and Confused]".[16]

Led Zeppelin II's credits have also been the subject of debate since the album's release. The prelude to "Bring It on Home" is a cover of Sonny Boy Williamson's "Bring it on Home" and drew comparisons with Willie Dixon's "Bring It on Back". "Whole Lotta Love" (sample (info)) shared some lyrics and an overall pattern with Dixon's "You Need Love/Woman You Need Love". In the 1970s, Arc Music, the publishing arm of Chess Records, brought a lawsuit against Led Zeppelin for copyright infringement over "Bring It on Home" and won an out-of-court settlement.[78] Dixon himself did not benefit until he sued Arc Music to recover his royalties and copyrights. Years later, Dixon filed suit against Led Zeppelin over "Whole Lotta Love" and an out-of-court settlement was reached. Later pressings of Led Zeppelin II credit Dixon. Similarily, the "Lemon Song", from the same album, was a cover of Howlin' Wolf's "Killing Floor". The band was successfully sued for copyright and forced to give credit to the original author of the song
  • They didn't only steal from old bluesmen. They stole from other bands as well. The lyrics of "Since I've Been Loving You" are taken directly from a Moby Grape song. And you guessed it, the credits say (Page/Plant).
  • JWBusher wrote:
    They didn't only steal from old bluesmen. They stole from other bands as well. The lyrics of "Since I've Been Loving You" are taken directly from a Moby Grape song. And you guessed it, the credits say (Page/Plant).

You are correct.
  • Note to everyone:

Even Flow was a total ripoff of a Jimi Hendrix song.

Is PJ's entire career a fake as a result? NOPE.

Who cares. Music in general, especially in the 50s, was nothing but a bunch of white guys stealing the songs of a bunch of black guys to make names for themselves. and it didn't stop for a very very long time.

It's fine. Just acknowledge history and move the fuck on. Being angry that some dude with a guitar heard another dude with a guitar is totally ridiculous.
    You can't spell "dumb" without DMB
    Note to everyone:

Who cares. Music in general, especially in the 50s, was nothing but a bunch of white guys stealing the songs of a bunch of black guys to make names for themselves. and it didn't stop for a very very long time.

It's fine. Just acknowledge history and move the fuck on. Being angry that some dude with a guitar heard another dude with a guitar is totally ridiculous.

im only pissed at the double standard. see the kol v. ben harper thread. people raise a shitstorm becos kol producer got co-writing credit for their debut. or aic... jrry writes 90% of aic's songs and they're suddenly a "fake" band becos they hire a new singer after the first od'd on heroin. ditto for blind melon... the band wrote those songs, but becos they hired someone else to sing for them again, it's a ripoff band milking shannon's success/memory. but led zep can steal songs outright and yet they do no wrong.
  • yosi1yosi1 Posts: 3,272
    Note to everyone:

Not just Evenflow. Yellow Ledbetter too. Its a total ripoff of Jimi Hendrix's Little Wing.

But, its cool with me. I see it as more of an homage to the others bands.
    you couldn't swing if you were hangin' from a palm tree in a hurricane.
  • Let's all just agree that Creed sucks and be appreciative that whatever other music that came along made it into our hands one way or another. haha
    You can't spell "dumb" without DMB
    yosi wrote:
    Not just Evenflow. Yellow Ledbetter too. Its a total ripoff of Jimi Hendrix's Little Wing.

But, its cool with me. I see it as more of an homage to the others bands.

what song is even flow a rip off of? i'd like to hear that one.

yellow ledbetter is a rip off of little wing, which i suspect is a pretty basic blues riff. it's also been in songs by kenny wayne shepered and even kid rock.
  • holtz wrote:
    It's pretty common knowledge that Zep blatantly stole from old bluesmen
    Yep.
  • Get_RightGet_Right Posts: 12,852
    edit:
  • nepalnepal Posts: 143
    You know there was a thread here about the exact same subject eleven months ago

http://forums.pearljam.com/showthread.php?t=226004
    ...the dreams ain't broken down here now,
    they're walking with a limp

that's the song even flow ripped off? i've heard that song a million times... never really made the connection. but then, i dont play guitar.
  • "There's nothing new under the sun."
    one foot in the door
    the other foot in the gutter
    sweet smell that they adore
    I think I'd rather smother
    -The Replacements-
  • i dont know what's so difficult about understanding the difference between two songs sounding vaguely similar and completely copying an entire song
    saw things so much clearer