Wolfmother? Like It? Hate It? indifferent?

sycodeesycodee Posts: 3
edited July 2006 in Other Music
I like it so far...
-Dave
"I know someday you'll have a beautiful life, I know you'll be a star
In somebody else's sky..."

"Darling you'll save me
If you save yourself"
Post edited by Unknown User on

Comments

• gus stillsgus stills Posts: 351
    Like it, with reservations. I wouldn't say it sounds original...kinda cross between the Doors, Sabbath and Zep, with a bit of Deep Purple here and there. But...for all that, it's not too bad. When my roomie put in on the stereo the other day (my first listen) I swear my first thought was, some live version of Riders on the Storm. And when he started singing, proving me wrong, I asked him if it was Ozzy.
  • FahkaFahka Posts: 3,187
    uh....

who what where?
  • gus stills wrote:
    Like it, with reservations. I wouldn't say it sounds original...kinda cross between the Doors, Sabbath and Zep, with a bit of Deep Purple here and there. But...for all that, it's not too bad. When my roomie put in on the stereo the other day (my first listen) I swear my first thought was, some live version of Riders on the Storm. And when he started singing, proving me wrong, I asked him if it was Ozzy.

agreed.
    if it was 1994 i would just say "it sounds just like Sabbath meets Zeppelin and the Doors"

but since it's 2006 and Emo sucks asshole,
    i'll just say, "TAKE YOUR ROCK WHERE YOU FIND IT, WHIP OUT YOUR COCK, AND GET DOWN!"
    If I was to smile and I held out my hand
    If I opened it now would you not understand?
  • sycodeesycodee Posts: 3
    is it me, or doesnt the lead singer sound like Jack White? (whitestripes)
    -Dave

"Darling you'll save me
    If you save yourself"
  • sycodee wrote:
    is it me, or doesnt the lead singer sound like Jack White? (whitestripes)

yes.
    agreed.
    critics say so, as well.
    If I was to smile and I held out my hand
    If I opened it now would you not understand?
  • offhegoes09offhegoes09 Posts: 327
    I'm going to see them tonight here in Denver...quite excited to see how their stuff comes across live. Any others going to this show?
    "The whole world will be different soon"
  • sycodeesycodee Posts: 3
    I'm going to see them tonight here in Denver...quite excited to see how their stuff comes across live. Any others going to this show?

I hear they play an awesome show.. they brought the hous down at coachella, to bad I wasnt able to go.. but i heard from friends, reviews and over the radio.
    -Dave

"Darling you'll save me
    If you save yourself"
  • offhegoes09offhegoes09 Posts: 327
    sycodee wrote:
    I hear they play an awesome show.. they brought the how down at coachella, to bad I wasnt able to go.. but i heard from friends, reviews and over the radio.

That is what I hear...and I figure for $15 I can't go wrong. Just a way to tide me over till July when I get 3 PJ shows and Social Distortion!
    "The whole world will be different soon"
  • armyreservearmyreserve Posts: 209
    Love it! love it! Love it!
    10/06/91 Hollywood, CA; 05/13/92 Hollywood, CA; 09/02/93 Hollywood, CA; 11/05/93 Indio, CA; 11/07/95 San Diego, CA; 03/29/98 (Dead Man Walking - The Concert) Los Angeles, CA; 07/13/98 Inglewood, CA; 10/24/00 Los Angeles, CA; 10/28/00 Devore, CA;07/09/06 Los Angeles, CA; 07/10/06 Los Angeles, CA; 09/30/09 Universal City, CA; 10/01/09 Universal City, CA
  • HailHailVitalogyHailHailVitalogy Posts: 5,131
    Best New Band
    2003: Uniondale, MSG x2 | 2004: Reading | 2005: Gorge, Vancouver, Philly | 2006: East Rutherford x2, Gorge x2, Camden 1, Hartford | 2008: MSG x2, VA Beach | 2009: Philly x3 | 2010: MSG x2, Bristow | 2011: Alpine Valley x2 | 2012: MIA Philly | 2013: Wrigley, Charlottesville, Brooklyn 2 | 2014: Milan, Amsterdam 1 | 2016: MSG x2, Fenway x2, Wrigley 2 | 2018: Rome, Krakow, Berlin, Wrigley 2 | 2021: Sea Hear Now | 2022: San Diego, LA x2, MSG, Camden, Nashville, St. Louis, Denver | 2023: St. Paul 1, Chicago x2, Fort Worth x2, Austin 2 | 2024: Las Vegas 1, Seattle x2, Indy, MSG x2, Philly x2, Baltimore
  • VEDHEAD27VEDHEAD27 Posts: 3,091
    Hmmmm....this guy straight up jacked Jackie White's voice. :eek:
    ¤º°`°º¤ø,¸¸,ø¤º°`°º¤ø,¸¸,ø¤

"Lo√e, you know the word
    ...YOU invented it!" ~ E√

¤º°`°º¤ø,¸¸,ø¤º°`°º¤ø,¸¸,ø¤
    ...::STONE--YOU--OWN!::...
    ••••••••••••••••••••••••••••
  • NCBRINCBRI Posts: 1,902
    They are playing here at the Cats Cradle June 7th. Thinking about going. Ill probably be off from work that week so I might have to check them out.
    Brian
  • 3sheets3sheets Posts: 284
    i've only given it one spin so far, but i likes it. they're not breaking any sonic ground here, but nothing wrong with rocking out. i will say they might be the best Aussie band I've heard since Living End (or Skulker...that's a little inside one for you Aussies).
    Live Free or Die!
  • DieasGreyDieasGrey Posts: 124
    like it...

nothing new , but i like it
    No one is Righteous.......
  • soulshinesoulshine Posts: 120
    agreed.
    if it was 1994 i would just say "it sounds just like Sabbath meets Zeppelin and the Doors"

i'll just say, "TAKE YOUR ROCK WHERE YOU FIND IT, WHIP OUT YOUR COCK, AND GET DOWN!"

LMAO!!!! Hysterical....

I've only heard one song, Woman, I thought it was some Led Zeppelin lost track, lol. But yeah, I liked it and would like to chk out the rest of the album....
    Make sure the fortune that you seek
    Is the fortune that you need ~ BenHarper

http://www.myspace.com/soulshine70
  • PJ013PJ013 Posts: 11
    I thought the cd was excellent. Who cares if they sound like Sabbath, Zep and Cream. More bands should.
  • pearlygirlypearlygirly Posts: 48
    Give them a chance. Wolfmother have been a big thing in Australia for at least the last two years. I've lost count as to how many times I have seen them live- especially at all the festivals I've been to. No matter the festival, Wolfmother is bound to be there!

Yeah, they are a little 70's, but they have some decent songs. In fact they began to get overplayed here in Australia. Every teenybopper thought they were cool if they listened to Wolfmother.

And good on them for trying to break the market in the rest of the world. They sound like they are doing well.

But I personally think they are pretty good... Can't wait to see them at Splendour in July.
    I said YEH!
  • pjalive21pjalive21 Posts: 2,818
    good sound...good cd...a must listen for sure

"Dimension" is my song of choice right now since it pays homage to Hendrix
  • hsewifhsewif Posts: 444
    VEDHEAD27 wrote:
    Hmmmm....this guy straight up jacked Jackie White's voice. :eek:

It's not like that hasn't been done before. ((cough))SS((cough)).

At least they changed the rest of it.....Musically it's different. I'd see them for 15.00.

Kinda digging Mind's Eye from the ITunes snippet.

Thanks for bringing them up.
  • restlesssoulrestlesssoul Posts: 6,951
    pjalive21 wrote:
    good sound...good cd...a must listen for sure

"Dimension" is my song of choice right now since it pays homage to Hendrix

fuck yeah , dimension is a sick song....i like lots of the stuff they have, and they are not a little 70's, they are all seventies...and apple tree is such white stripes bite its not even funny...but its good to hear some heavy riffage.!!!!! they play vancouver the day i see pj in camden,,,,oh well..
    Van '98, Sea I+II '00, Sea '01, Sea II '02, Van '03, Gorge, Van, Cal, Edm '05, Bos I+II, Phi I+II, DC, SF II+III, Port, Gorge I+II '06, DC, NY I+II '08, Sea I+II, Van, Ridge , LA III+IV' 09, Indy '10, Cal, Van '11, Lond, Van, Sea '13, Memphis '14, RRHOF '17, Sea I+II '18, Van I+II, Vegas I+II '24
  • brhf9brhf9 Posts: 1,475
    indifferent, so far.
    'Go easy, step lightly, stay free!'

You have been banned for the following reason:
    inappropriate post.

'Too many people on this earth. We need a new plague.' - Dwight Schrute
  • oyster jellyoyster jelly Posts: 107
    I've been listening to them for the past two weeks. I love it. Very Sabbath-y. White Unicorn really rocks, and is easy to play as is most of their stuff. It always seems that the simplest musical riffs and chords kick ass, doesn't it? I hope they tour the north sometime as I may check them out.
    " A toast to Buffalo...who new it could be so beautiful..." EV 5/2/03

" This one's for the home team...."
    Eddie before they broke out Rats 5/12/06

Buffalo 5/2/03
    Albany 5/12/06
  • JD SalJD Sal Posts: 790
    Thank you to the thread starter.

I was half asleep the other night and saw one of their videos, but I couldn't remember the name of the band.

So I'm interested in checking these guys out.

How many CD's do they have? What's a good one to start out with?
    "If no one sees you, you're not here at all"
  • brhf9brhf9 Posts: 1,475
    JD Sal wrote:
    Thank you to the thread starter.

I was half asleep the other night and saw one of their videos, but I couldn't remember the name of the band.

So I'm interested in checking these guys out.

How many CD's do they have? What's a good one to start out with?

as far as i know they have 2 eps (wolfmother , dimensions)

and one album (self titled)
    'Go easy, step lightly, stay free!'

You have been banned for the following reason:
    inappropriate post.

'Too many people on this earth. We need a new plague.' - Dwight Schrute
  • pj_zombiepj_zombie Posts: 272
    They have an EP and their debut album was just released in the US with one extra song compared to the UK version. I've had the album since January and I still love it. Like someone else said, they may sound like bits and pieces of bands here and there but I don't care so much. They know how to rock and this type of music needs to take off. Not only that but they are quite talented so who knows where they go from here. Dimensions is definately my favorite song too. Love the guitars.
    Pearl Jam Album Rankings
    ---
    1. Ten
    2. Vs.
    3. Pearl Jam
    4. Binaural
    5. No Code
    6. Riot Act
    7. Yield
    8. Vitalogy

Pearl Jam Song Rankings
    ---
    1. Black
    2. Rearviewmirror
    3. Light Years
    4. Given to Fly
    5. Severed Hand
  • KlumpieKlumpie Posts: 2,649
    Like it, I'm glad they open for PJ in Holland.
  • MerkyjammMerkyjamm Posts: 272
    agreed.

:D

Wolfmother are friggin' awesome. Loving that blatant Hendrix rip-off in Dimension. White Unicorn, Collosal and Where Eagles Have Been are just nifty.
    Too many cowboys, not enough indians, so just go ape shit!

I may be boring but at least I'm not Jack fucking Johnson.

TV is such shit; let's go outside and ride bicycles, right now!

Madrid 07/09/06 - Little mofo'ing Wing!!!
    Wembley 06/18/07 - Speechless

www.last.fm/user/StNick_
  • facepollutionfacepollution Posts: 6,834
    loving it, the album just rocks, and they are so much better than the emo shite and indie hipsters that's currently ruling the rock scene.
  • BinOttawaBinOttawa Posts: 80
    It's effin fantastic!! I'm checking them in in MTL next week..can't wait

Stripes/Zep/Sabbath all mixed into one kickass high energy band!
    https://www.youtube.com/user/BinOttawa/featured
    Sometimes I see a strange spot in the sky, a human being that was Given To Fly
  • RiffJamRiffJam Posts: 143
    I like them very much! When I was in Australia they had a lot of coverage and can't wait to see them in London. Very 70s but that's not such a bad thing...
    London 28-10-96, London 29-10-96, London 20-04-06, Dublin 23-08-06, Reading 27-08-06, Marseille 09-09-06, Berlin 23-09-06, Athens 30-09-06, Madrid 09-06-07, London18-06-07, Copenhagen 26-06-07, Boston 28-06-08, London 11-08-09, Rotterdam 13-08-09, Manchester 17-08-09, London 18-08-09, Toronto 21-08-09, Philadelphia 30-10-09, Philadelphia 31-10-09, Manchester 20-06-12, Manchester 21-06-12, Stockholm 07-07-12, Leeds 08-07-14, Milton Keynes 11-07-14, Boston 05-08-16, Amsterdam 12-06-18, London 18-06-18, Krakow 03-07-18, London 18-07-18, Copenhagen 05-07-22, London 08-07-22, Seattle 28-05-24, Seattle 30-05-24