DBT = www.letthereberocktober.com

Comments

• merkinballmerkinball Posts: 2,262
    UKDave wrote:
    Boys From Alabama or Cottonseed for me... :o

I usually skip Cottonseed on the cd (goes on a little to long for me), but live it kicks ass.
    "You're no help," he told the lime. This was unfair. It was only a lime; there was nothing special about it at all. It was doing the best it could.

http://www.last.fm/user/merkinball/
    spotify:user:merkinball
  • tybirdtybird Posts: 17,388
    As the great-grandson of a bootlegger/moonshiner, "Where the Devil Don't Stay" really does it for me.................
    All the world will be your enemy, Prince with a thousand enemies, and whenever they catch you, they will kill you. But first they must catch you, digger, listener, runner, prince with the swift warning. Be cunning and full of tricks and your people shall never be destroyed.
  • tybird wrote:
    As the great-grandson of a bootlegger/moonshiner, "Where the Devil Don't Stay" really does it for me.................

Whenever we have a family get-together, my cousin's and I get the acoustics out and play some DBT.

Where the Devil Don't Stay is always a favorite...it seems like that song never ends...it's like a constant loop.

PBM
    "We paced ourselves and we didn't rush through it and we tried to be as creative as our collective minds would let us be over some course of time instead of just trying to rush through a record"

Wishlist Foundation: http://wishlistfoundation.org
  • tybird wrote:

The song that got me hooked...
  • merkinballmerkinball Posts: 2,262
    NakedClown wrote:
    The song that got me hooked...

The song that got me hooked is 'Days of Graduation'. Southern Rock Opera was the first DBT disc I picked up, and I knew from that intro that this band was different. Its that dark humor that got into me.

You know it's a very long song...
    "You're no help," he told the lime. This was unfair. It was only a lime; there was nothing special about it at all. It was doing the best it could.

http://www.last.fm/user/merkinball/
    spotify:user:merkinball
  • merkinball wrote:
    The song that got me hooked is 'Days of Graduation'. Southern Rock Opera was the first DBT disc I picked up, and I knew from that intro that this band was different. Its that dark humor that got into me.

Ditto for me.
    I share a cigarette with negativity.
    merkinball wrote:

That song actually sounds like something that happen down here in "The Dirty South." Yes, white High School kids in Alabama of that generation could not get enough of "Free Bird." It still may occur in many locales around here.
    All the world will be your enemy, Prince with a thousand enemies, and whenever they catch you, they will kill you. But first they must catch you, digger, listener, runner, prince with the swift warning. Be cunning and full of tricks and your people shall never be destroyed.
  • Carl Perkins back in the fall of 04.

I remember it well.

:D
    Teamwork. Rawk. Pwnage. Infinite Possibilities. YIELD. Hells yeah.
  • The Tough Sell is up Wednesday, today, the 11th.
  • Hell yeah...
  • In case you missed any of them:

http://ninebullets.org/rocktober/

PBM
    "We paced ourselves and we didn't rush through it and we tried to be as creative as our collective minds would let us be over some course of time instead of just trying to rush through a record"

• in Philly at the TLA.....pretty damn good.

One song in particular almost had me in tears and I can't get it out of my head.
    World of Hurt
  • In case you missed any of them:

PBM

thanks PBM, i was pissed that i'd missed the first few. figured someone would be cool enough to upload them somewhere. thanks for the link!
  • World of Hurt

Yeah...definitely one of my favorite tracks off the new album:

"To love is to feel pain" there ain't no way around it
    The very nature of love is to grieve when it is over
    The secret to a happy ending is knowing when to role the credits
    Better role them now before something else goes wrong
    No, it's a wonderful world, if you can put aside the sadness
    And hang on to every ounce of beauty upon you
    Better take the time to know it there ain't no way around it
    If you feel anything at all

PBM

• One from each of ABAAC at this point, six months or so...

P Hood: Wednesday
    Isbell: Easy on Yourself
    Cooley: Gravity and Space City are so close...can't pick.

I remember Patterson said somewhere...."I write like 200 songs a year and they're all crap...Mike writes four and they're all genius."
    Gotta agree.

• sadprofessorsadprofessor Posts: 1,034
    New song today... One of These Days... this is probably my favorite song from the first two records and easily one of my favorites overall...
    The Man has a branch office in each of our brains, his corporate emblem is a white albatross, each local rep has a cover known as the Ego, and their mission in this world is Bad Shit.
    One from each of ABAAC at this point, six months or so...

P Hood: Wednesday
    Isbell: Easy on Yourself
    Cooley: Gravity and Space City are so close...can't pick.

I remember Patterson said somewhere...."I write like 200 songs a year and they're all crap...Mike writes four and they're all genius."
    Gotta agree.

"Wednesday" still owns me.............World of Hurt ain't too far behind.

Yes, it's true about Cooley..........despite "Space City" not being a fave.

"Zip City", "72", "Guitar Man Upstairs"..........great, great songs.
  • bobasfeetbobasfeet Posts: 1,113
    In case you missed any of them:

PBM

thank you
  • Also, we got about five Patterson songs in a row

let's hope for a nice Cooley string now

then some Isbell
  • tybird wrote:
    "Wednesday" still owns me.............World of Hurt ain't too far behind.

Yes, it's true about Cooley..........despite "Space City" not being a fave.

"Zip City", "72", "Guitar Man Upstairs"..........great, great songs.

Space City is heartbreakingly good...
  • NakedClown wrote:

I concur.

PBM

NakedClown wrote:
    Funny about "Space City", I have an odd prespective on the song. Space City=Huntsville, Alabama, while Huntsville does sit atop the main north-south interstate route through Alabama. There is a interstate spur, I-565, that connects Huntsville or Space City to I-65. This spur passes through a rather large National Wildlife Refuge, Wheeler. It specifically passes through a cypress swamp called the Beaverdam Swamp. A service road from an exit on I-565 dead-ends at Beaverdam Swamp, where the refuge has built a boardwalk out into the swamp where us ordinary folks can enjoy the sights and sounds of the swamp. It is a marvelous place to go birding, which I do a bit. Back in January 2005, my then girlfriend (now my wife, Daystar143) went birding up at Wheeler when pleasant Friday afternoon. We arrived at the dead end to see a couple of cars backed into parking spaces. No heed was given to this, and we started birding the boardwalk. As we were strolling along and looking up in trees in search of Hermit Thrushes and Winter Wrens, we noticed a steady passage of men walking briskly coming and going from the end of the boardwalk. That was odd, but we were really wanting to observe a Winter Wren. Well, we got to a point where we could see the end of the boardwalk, and yes, there was a guy giving another guy a blowjob at the end of the boardwalk. Turns out that the boardwalk was a popular "cruising" spot for men looking for gay sex. So when I hear the lyrics for Space City, I get the image of the protagonist of the song pondering going towards Space city for gay sex in the woods. :rolleyes:
  • tybird wrote:
    So when I hear the lyrics for Space City, I get the image of the protagonist of the song pondering going towards Space city for gay sex in the woods. :rolleyes:

You're excused.

;)

PBM

• Uh.......

I have nothing clever to say to that...

(So - is the gay sex thing before or after he visits his wife's grave?)
    NakedClown wrote:
    Uh.......

I have nothing clever to say to that...

(So - is the gay sex thing before or after he visits his wife's grave?)
    Since witnessing the incident, I have spoken with the gentleman in charge of the wildlife refuge.....yes, it goes on quite regularlly.....yes, they have done sting operations to arrest the folks involved and attempt to curtail the activity. The last sting netted over 30 some arrests including one woman.

wife's grave?? I often have a hard time figuring out lyrics....might have missed that one. My hearing is not very good.
  • Yeah... I think it's about a dead wife/lover:

If I could have one wish right now
    I'd be about as half as tough as I pretend I am
    Then I wouldn't care how empty this old house feels
    I could take her things and take them far away from here
    I could make sure no dirt ever got on her name
    Cause looking at that stone wouldn't bring me so much pain
    I could go into town wearing my finest clothes
    I could turn these tears into blood and make it run ice cold

Space City's one hour up the road from me
    One hour away from as close to the moon as anybody down here is ever gonna be
    And somewhere beyond that big white light is where my heart is gone
    And somewhere she's wondering what's taking me so long

My hands are as good to me as they've ever been
    And I ain't ashamed of anything my hands ever did
    But sometimes the words I used were as hard as my fist
    She had the strength of a man and the heart of a child I guess
  • TODAY: Studio recording of George Jones Talkin' Cell Phone Blues
    NakedClown wrote:
    TODAY: Studio recording of George Jones Talkin' Cell Phone Blues
    Thanks.....on the way to claim it.
  • hack10hack10 Posts: 3
    Anyone know where I can get a download of "Dress Blues" by the Drive By Truckers. It was a song they did on tour. Was up on Neil Youngs website for awhile as a video but I don't think you can download it as an mp3. Was a great song and just wondering if anyone knew where i can get a download of it.

Thanks
  • sadprofessorsadprofessor Posts: 1,034
    hack10 wrote:
    Anyone know where I can get a download of "Dress Blues" by the Drive By Truckers. It was a song they did on tour. Was up on Neil Youngs website for awhile as a video but I don't think you can download it as an mp3. Was a great song and just wondering if anyone knew where i can get a download of it.

Thanks

Archive.org has close to 200 DBT shows, you can probably get it there.
    The Man has a branch office in each of our brains, his corporate emblem is a white albatross, each local rep has a cover known as the Ego, and their mission in this world is Bad Shit.