Why isn't Cornell selling out?

Comments

• mrwalkerbmrwalkerb Posts: 1,015
    I'm not jumping on any bandwagon. I honestly feel like Cornell is a wash-up. Carry On IS a generic, bland, mainstream cock-fest. It saddens me, because I was excited about it, and I listened to it with an open mind, but a turd is a turd, no matter how you choose to smell it, and Carry On is a big, fat, corn-filled smelly turd, of gigantic proportions.

agreed just finally listened to it (had been putting it off because I heard it was pretty mediocre) and I really don't have much of an urge to listen to it again, you know my name is alright enough but I couldn't even name anything else because they just kind of came and went. I was incredibly stoked for this record because I thought Euphoria Morning was fantastic one of my favorite records from that late 90s era, and I thought that after the bland audioslave stuff that was hit and miss at best he would come roaring back but instead just threw up a a waste of time, for him and us.

To all the people saying listen to this with an open mind maybe you guys could go so far as to admit that maybe these peopel you love aren't perfect and sometimes they do release shitty records. This doesn't mean everyone else here hates Cornell, just that he used to make great albums and this is not one of them.
    "I'm not suicidal, except when I drink. That's why we don't all drink at the same time, there'd be no-one alive to drive home..."
    Chris Cornell

http://www.myspace.com/mrwalkerb
  • They say beauty is in the eye of the beholder, and it's just as true if you change it to ear.

One person's great ablum is another person's trash. Personally, I don't care whether people say a record is mainstream, or alternative or whatever; I just wanna listen to songs I like. I like Carry On and I liked most of the first two Audioslave CD's and a bit of the last one, but that's just my opinion. Many people on this board clearly disagree. Let's all try to remember that our opinions are completely subjective and don't represent some immutable law of the universe.
    let the living love

formerly: dividedbyfear
  • HaijayHaijay Posts: 378
    I'm looking to get my NYC tickets at 11 this morning (EST) but I was checking other big cities, and he's not selling out anywhere....in fact, you can get great seats for most of his shows even though they are on sale already.
    cause he sucks. course the 78 people on here that think he's a god might disagree.jumped the shark forming audioslave,murdered it with covering billie jean.
  • iluvcatsiluvcats Posts: 5,153
    I'm looking to get my NYC tickets at 11 this morning (EST) but I was checking other big cities, and he's not selling out anywhere....in fact, you can get great seats for most of his shows even though they are on sale already.

he sold out in baltimore, but it took a while. I bought my tix 2 weeks after they went on sale. I wish he'd come back. I need a thrill again :)
    9/98, 9/00 - DC, 4/03 - Pitt., 7/03 - Bristow, 10/04 - Reading, 10/05 - Philly, 5/06 - DC, 6/06 - Pitt., 6/08 - Va Beach, 6/08 - DC, 5/10 - Bristow, 10/13 B'more
    8/08 - Ed solo in DC, 6/09 Ed in B'more,
    10/10 - Brad in B'more
  • rhcpjam1029rhcpjam1029 Posts: 1,968
    oppie1 wrote:
    they're not bad. used to really like them... now they're not heavy enough for me

Now they just suck. And always have.
    Beavis: All my friends are brown and red? What does that mean?
    Butthead: It means that his friends are like turds and that they like suck.
    Beavis: Heh heh. Oh yeah. Yeah! Get those spoons out of my face before I shove them up your butt!
    Butthead: Huh huh.
  • RyeGuyRyeGuy Posts: 215
    who cares about the haters? As long as you like Cornell thats all that matters, you don't have to try and convert anyone who dislikes him. Just enjoy the music. And by the way the new album rocks!
    "Makes much more sense to live in the present tense." Ed Ved

"No one cares about climbing stairs, Nothing at the top no more." Chris Cornell
  • the music he's puttin out is kind of crap rock right now.
    Come on pilgrim you know he loves you..

http://www.wishlistfoundation.org

Oh my, they dropped the leash.

Morgan Freeman/Clint Eastwood 08' for President!

"Make our day"
  • smithnicsmithnic Posts: 1,563
    the music he's puttin out is kind of crap rock right now.

could not have said it better myself!
    Go Get 'Em Tigers!
  • smithnic wrote:
    could not have said it better myself!
    his voice is absolutely incredible right now, it's a damn shame. He seems like he isn't really trying to write music anymore. I'm hoping he'll rebound soon and start making good music again..

"Make our day"
  • LiftedLifted Posts: 1,836
    glad to see everyone on the board is finally coming out of the woodwork and speaking the truth. cornell sucks. he has sucked since soundgarden broke up. i thought soundgarden was descent, but even they were overrated. he's just a wasted talent in my opinion. great voice but nothing more. sorry if you like him, everyone is entitled to their opinion and this is mine.
  • glad to see everyone on the board is finally coming out of the woodwork and speaking the truth. cornell sucks. he has sucked since soundgarden broke up. i thought soundgarden was descent, but even they were overrated. he's just a wasted talent in my opinion. great voice but nothing more. sorry if you like him, everyone is entitled to their opinion and this is mine.
    Audioslave had it's moments and Euphoria Morning was gorgeous. He hasn't sucked since Soundgarden. But his new album (from what I've heard which is probably 1/4 of it) is crap :( .

Soundgarden was incredible.

Now that the "Cornell got his voice back" kick is dying down and people are speaking objectively about his new work you should chill with the anti soundgarden propaganda too :rolleyes: ;)

His new band is pretty cool from what I can tell.. I think there are some jazz trained musicians and a top notch guitarist in there. Damn shame. :(

"Make our day"
    Soundgarden was incredible.

Now that the "Cornell got his voice back" kick is dying down and people are speaking objectively about his new work you should chill with the anti soundgarden propaganda too :rolleyes: ;)

His new band is pretty cool from what I can tell.. I think there are some jazz trained musicians and a top notch guitarist in there. Damn shame. :(

i was simply stating my opinion. i'm glad you've formed your own but i don't need to "chill" with anything. i don't like anything he has done since soundgarden. i think tom morello is one of the best guitar players ever, i like rage, i think audioslaves music just sucked. same goes with cornells' new band...i don't know much about them but i don't doubt what you're saying, i'm sure they all can play their instruments just like cornell can sing his ass off. that doesn't mean they are putting out good music. and in my opinion they aren't.
  • sweet adelinesweet adeline Posts: 2,191
    you should be psyched, you don't have to fight for good seats.
  • i was simply stating my opinion. i'm glad you've formed your own but i don't need to "chill" with anything. i don't like anything he has done since soundgarden. i think tom morello is one of the best guitar players ever, i like rage, i think audioslaves music just sucked. same goes with cornells' new band...i don't know much about them but i don't doubt what you're saying, i'm sure they all can play their instruments just like cornell can sing his ass off. that doesn't mean they are putting out good music. and in my opinion they aren't.
    I meant the collective 'you' as in the anti-cornell movement that was spurred on this board. Seems like for every two people ranting obessively about him there was one person going out of their way to insult him.

Kind of brought down the other music board ya know?

edit:
    i'm sure they all can play their instruments just like cornell can sing his ass off. that doesn't mean they are putting out good music. and in my opinion they aren't
    True.

"Make our day"
  • TrixieCatTrixieCat Posts: 5,756
    I said it before and I will say it again:
    The tickets are too expensive! To see him at the Beacon, it would cost between 300 and 600 dollars for 2 people. Ridiculous. No thank you.
    Cause I'm broken when I'm lonesome
    And I don't feel right when you're gone away
    TrixieCat wrote:
    The tickets are too expensive! To see him at the Beacon, it would cost between 300 and 600 dollars for 2 people. Ridiculous. No thank you.

wow! didn't know about that. i wasn't trying to see him anyway but that is ridiculous. damn shame for all of his fans out there without wads of money to throw around on a concert.
  • Gary CarterGary Carter Posts: 14,067
    TrixieCat wrote:
    umm are u talking bout on e-bay right, cause ticketbastard wasnt that high
    Ron: I just don't feel like going out tonight
    Sammi: Wanna just break up?

• TrixieCat wrote:

:confused:

face value was $40-$70 on ticketmaster.

add $10 per ticket for TM surcharges and that's still $50-$80 overall.
  • Sprunkn7Sprunkn7 Posts: 5,286
    I paid $133 for two tickets including charges. That seems about right to me. I think face was $55.
    Thank you fellow 10 clubber for saving my ass....again!!!
  • dharma69dharma69 Posts: 1,275
    TrixieCat wrote:
    A few too many zeros in your post, I think.
    "I'm here to see Pearl Jam."- Bono

...signed...the token black Pearl Jam fan.

FaceSpace
  • TrixieCatTrixieCat Posts: 5,756
    Seriously, when I checked about a month ago, they were in the 200 dollar range for the front. They must have dropped the price. Really. I just looked now and they are really cheap. My bad. Sorry. But that is what I saw. On the site for the Beacon and I was like, no way.
    Cause I'm broken when I'm lonesome
    And I don't feel right when you're gone away
  • lastexit78lastexit78 Posts: 618
    Carry On is just a depressing album. It's an album I wish I never had to hear. It saddens me to see one of the greats reach this kind of low. "No Such Thing" sounds like Audioslave without any guts. I thought he's was decent with Audioslave and Euphoria Morning was very good. But this new stuff is awful. "She'll Never Be Your Man" is just horrific. Maybe he's after a new audience. Because there's no way his old one is going to enjoy this.

With that said I can't wait to see him next month in San Francisco. The setlist have been awesome from what I've seen. Hopefully he breaks out "The Day I Tried To Live" at some point during this tour.
    06/22/95, 11/04/95, 11/15/97, 07/16/98, 10/30/99, 10/30/00, 10/31/00, 10/20/01, 10/21/01, 12/08/02, 06/01/03, 06/06/03, 10/25/03, 10/26/03, 09/28/04, 03/18/05, 09/01/05, 07/15/06, 07/16/06, 07/18/06, 07/22/06, 07/23/06, 10/21/06, 10/22/06, 08/28/09, 09/21/09, 09/22/09, 05/20/10, 05/21/10, 10/24/10, 11/26/13, 12/06/13, 06/28/14, 10/26/14, 07/10/18, 08/10/18, 10/02/21, 
  • very little early publicity.
    (to answer the original question)

if you haven't heard him LIVE recently (and listening to a broadcast totally doesn't count) then maybe your 'he's washed up" type comments should have a huge freakin disclaimer "MY OPINION BASED SOLELY ON THE FACT THAT I AM UPSET THIS ISN'T ANOTHER THREAD TALKING ABOUT THE TYPE OF SALAD DRESSING EDDIE VEDDER WOULD BE" written above it.

If you don't like Carry On, then that is also your opinion - i doubt it has any bearing on why cornell isn't selling out. (it didnt effect riot act era ticket sales, did it??)

His publicist isn't pushing for a whole lot of notice - and unless you are on his website you prolly wouldnt know when he will be in your area.

thank you. that is all.
    IF YOU WANT A PLATE OF MY BEEF SWELLINGTON, YOU'RE GOING TO HAVE TO PAY THE COVERCHARGE.
  • lastexit78 wrote:
    Carry On is just a depressing album. It's an album I wish I never had to hear. It saddens me to see one of the greats reach this kind of low. "No Such Thing" sounds like Audioslave without any guts. I thought he's was decent with Audioslave and Euphoria Morning was very good. But this new stuff is awful. "She'll Never Be Your Man" is just horrific. Maybe he's after a new audience. Because there's no way his old one is going to enjoy this.

With that said I can't wait to see him next month in San Francisco. The setlist have been awesome from what I've seen. Hopefully he breaks out "The Day I Tried To Live" at some point during this tour.

I wish I never heard it either, such a disappointment. I saw him in live in Bmore though and he was awesome!
  • fanch75fanch75 Posts: 3,734

Does "THE COOLEST BLACK KID EVER!!!!" like him?
    Do you remember Rock & Roll Radio?
  • fanch75 wrote:
    Does "THE COOLEST BLACK KID EVER!!!!" like him?

OH DAYUM! got pwn3d
    2003: Uniondale, MSG x2 | 2004: Reading | 2005: Gorge, Vancouver, Philly | 2006: East Rutherford x2, Gorge x2, Camden 1, Hartford | 2008: MSG x2, VA Beach | 2009: Philly x3 | 2010: MSG x2, Bristow | 2011: Alpine Valley x2 | 2012: MIA Philly | 2013: Wrigley, Charlottesville, Brooklyn 2 | 2014: Milan, Amsterdam 1 | 2016: MSG x2, Fenway x2, Wrigley 2 | 2018: Rome, Krakow, Berlin, Wrigley 2 | 2021: Sea Hear Now | 2022: San Diego, LA x2, MSG, Camden, Nashville, St. Louis, Denver | 2023: St. Paul 1, Chicago x2, Fort Worth x2, Austin 2 | 2024: Las Vegas 1, Seattle x2, Indy, MSG x2, Philly x2, Baltimore
  • fanch75fanch75 Posts: 3,734
    haha, you're a good sport.

how long ago was that? That thread was classic. I wish we could resurrect it.
    Do you remember Rock & Roll Radio?
  • DieasGreyDieasGrey Posts: 124
    The first Audioslave cd was ok...but after that was a flop.
    Euphoria Morning was good but Carry on is Horrible.

I liked Cornell a lot but there isn't one song on Carry on that i really want to listen to again.

Live he is tragic.
    No one is Righteous.......
  • DOSWDOSW Posts: 2,014
    DieasGrey wrote:
    Live he is tragic.

That is no longer true.
    It's a town full of losers and I'm pulling out of here to win
  • Get_RightGet_Right Posts: 12,845
    TrixieCat wrote:
    Seriously, when I checked about a month ago, they were in the 200 dollar range for the front. They must have dropped the price. Really. I just looked now and they are really cheap. My bad. Sorry. But that is what I saw. On the site for the Beacon and I was like, no way.

I think I know what you are referring to
    thats not the beacon
    when you search for the beacon in google it takes you to a scalper site designed to make you think its a "new york theater" page

its not

beacon tix were $55+, except for the first 25 rows, which were $70+

That being said, cornell was always on of my favorite singers, and I really dig soundgarden. I dont really have very high expectations for the show, but Im looking forward to hearing him sing live for the first time. Im glad he is touring so I get this chance. Really dont care very much about his new record. Just another rock show in NYC.