Tool?

13»

Comments

• rriversrrivers Posts: 3,696
    potluck wrote:
    i used to love tool as well, but then i saw 'em live, back to back nights and Tool just hasnt been the same to me since. i even got to shake danny carey's hand.

Why not?
    "We're fixed good, lamp-wise."
  • 12345AGNST112345AGNST1 Posts: 4,906
    Way to twist what I was saying..

Never did I say that Pearl Jam should learn from Tool's show. Both of them are at the top of their game.

2 Different monsters. Can't be compared. Only thing they have in common is they are both music.

I didnt realized you meant that. i just quickly read the sentance and assumed that is what you meant.
    5/28/06, 6/27/08, 10/28/09, 5/18/10, 5/21/10
    8/7/08, 6/9/09
  • allmyrivalsallmyrivals Posts: 228
    I am a TOOL fan. The only comment i will respond to at this point would be the comment about the same show every night.

The idea i believe behind sticking to the same show every night falls into the catagory of something like a broadway show. TOOL puts together a "SHOW" not so much a rock concert. The artwork, video and music are the whole "SHOW". If you went to a big budget play/performance one night and then went the next night a bitched cause it was "the same show" as last night. People would look at you like you were mental. You have to look at a TOOL live show as just that....a show. Not a rock concert. It's bigger than just buying tickets, drinking beers and seeing some rock and roll. The group wants you to open your mind and look at it differently than a mindless rock concert. I think the people that don't understand that could possibly mistake that for their arogence.....they hope that your smart enough to figure that out. And alot of people just don't get it. So if Maynard makes a comment that sounds arogent....most of the time it's directed at the ones that refuse to open thier minds to what they are trying to do/show you. Thier version of a "show". Another example of this show idea that they do: They never do encores......only an intermission in the middle of the show. Do Broadway shows come back for One more scene at the end? Nope.

allmyrivals
    EVENFLOW PSYCHO #0031
    WHAAHYEAH!!
  • RyeGuyRyeGuy Posts: 215
    acquired taste? I loved them after hearing one song.
    "Makes much more sense to live in the present tense." Ed Ved

"No one cares about climbing stairs, Nothing at the top no more." Chris Cornell
  • I am a TOOL fan. The only comment i will respond to at this point would be the comment about the same show every night.

The idea i believe behind sticking to the same show every night falls into the catagory of something like a broadway show. TOOL puts together a "SHOW" not so much a rock concert. The artwork, video and music are the whole "SHOW". If you went to a big budget play/performance one night and then went the next night a bitched cause it was "the same show" as last night. People would look at you like you were mental. You have to look at a TOOL live show as just that....a show. Not a rock concert. It's bigger than just buying tickets, drinking beers and seeing some rock and roll. The group wants you to open your mind and look at it differently than a mindless rock concert. I think the people that don't understand that could possibly mistake that for their arogence.....they hope that your smart enough to figure that out. And alot of people just don't get it. So if Maynard makes a comment that sounds arogent....most of the time it's directed at the ones that refuse to open thier minds to what they are trying to do/show you. Thier version of a "show". Another example of this show idea that they do: They never do encores......only an intermission in the middle of the show. Do Broadway shows come back for One more scene at the end? Nope.

allmyrivals

That is a perfect summation, friend. Tool are an art-rock band. They put on shows.
    "Should I tell you my room is walled up? In what way might I leave it? Here is how; Goodwill knows no obstacle. Nothing can stand before a deep desire. All I have to do is imagine a door." -Schultz

Trading stories with the leaves instead
  • potluckpotluck Posts: 170
    The group wants you to open your mind and look at it differently than a mindless rock concert.

i can understand most of ur post but are u insinuating that pj shows are mindless rock concerts?
    06/24/1998 SD
    10/12/2000 KS
    06/13/2003 IA
    06/15/2003 ND
    06/16/2003 Mn
    06/21/2003 WI
    10/05/2004 MO
    10/08/2004 FL
    09/08/2005 MB
    09/09/2005 ON
    05/17/2006 IL
    05/19/2006 MI
    07/02/2006 CO
    08/05/2007 Lolla
    06/14/2008 B'roo

Kill Fascists.... or at least make them realize what they are.
  • Nokia Theater 12/10/07. Second best show i've ever seen. Right after PJ @ Irving Plaza.
    2004 - 10/1, 10/11
    2005 - 9/15, 9/16, 9/30, 10/1, 10/3
    2006 - 5/5, 5/12, 5/13, 5/27, 5/28, 5/30, 6/1, 6/3, 6/23, 7/22, 7/23, 12/2
    2007 - 6/27, 8/3
    2008 - 6/14, 6/19, 6/20, 6/22, 6/24, 6/25, 6/27, 6/28, 6/30, 7/1
  • red mosred mos Posts: 4,953
    I've seen several plays and have never been bored. Now at TOOL, It got Boring. I just feel like they are one of those " if you have seen them once, you've seen 'em" bands. I respect everyone's opinion though. If you are a Diehard TOOL fan than Kudos to you. I hope you have a blast at their shows time and time again.
    I'm in the once you've seen them, you've seen them category. But regardless, different strokes for different folks. Whomever said they like a Tool show better than pj, I'm honestly just not sure how. Seeing E'd hammered off his ass and going on some rant is a hell of alot better than a TOOL show. I do however realize that they are 2 entirely different bands.
    PJ: 10/14/00 06/09/03 10/4/09 11/15/13 11/16/13 10/08/14
    EV Solo: 7/11/11 11/12/12 11/13/12
  • phatuciniphatucini Posts: 399
    It don't matter:
    Ænima still kicks major butt no matter what you think or what your little brains alows you to decipher/hear.
  • potluckpotluck Posts: 170
    phatucini wrote:
    It don't matter:
    Ænima still kicks major butt no matter what you think or what your little brains alows you to decipher/hear.

What a tooley thing to say.

i own it. i liked tool a lot more when i was younger and pissed off at the world because i thought nobody understood me.

Maybe tool fans just need a hug. :)
    06/24/1998 SD
    10/12/2000 KS
    06/13/2003 IA
    06/15/2003 ND
    06/16/2003 Mn
    06/21/2003 WI
    10/05/2004 MO
    10/08/2004 FL
    09/08/2005 MB
    09/09/2005 ON
    05/17/2006 IL
    05/19/2006 MI
    07/02/2006 CO
    08/05/2007 Lolla
    06/14/2008 B'roo

Kill Fascists.... or at least make them realize what they are.
  • ajedigeckoajedigecko Posts: 2,430
    the guy jumped on stage and wanted to give him a hug, thats wierd. Did it ever occur to you he PUSHED the fan during the song PUSHIT? Im sure that had something to do with it. Its not like eddie is an angel either. cough cough mosquito bites...cough. Sure eddie probably would hug a guy if he jumped on stage, i mean he lets the fans drink his own wine, but he is an asshole sometimes.
    what? i do not usually try to explain my response but in this case i will.

my point is that tool treats their fans quite well and know how to create a good time out of a stupid act by a fan.
    live and let live...unless it violates the pearligious doctrine.
  • yellowled24yellowled24 Posts: 3,118
    I love Tool :)
    "....and was very surprised to see that he didnt actually have a recipe for anus-ankle soup." - Big Ed
    I love Tool :)
    wow....love is a strong word. i like tool but if they were gone tomorrow i would be just fine.

same goes for pj.
  • potluck wrote:
    the difference is stone and jeff's other band werent famous before they ever released a tune. Maynard joined a superband which was APC. tell me again who was in it? Oh yeah, two people from Nine inch nail, someone from the pumpkins and someone who played with Marylin Manson. Jeff and Stones situations with there bands aren't even comparable.

Im talking about brad and three fish

as famous, no but where does loyalty become gaged on fame

eds solo work was famous, I doubt maynard did this to become more famous.
    Some people have religion I have Pearl Jam.

no more shows
  • yellowled24yellowled24 Posts: 3,118
    ajedigecko wrote:
    wow....love is a strong word. i like tool but if they were gone tomorrow i would be just fine.

same goes for pj.
    :p I love EVERYTHING man!!!! :p
    "....and was very surprised to see that he didnt actually have a recipe for anus-ankle soup." - Big Ed
    :p I love EVERYTHING man!!!! :p
    shit....i wished i had your enthusiasm right now. i could not sleep well today.
    when i read your response the voice of "randy of the redwoods" came through.