Chris Cornells new album produced by Timbaland

13»

Comments

• I'm one of those that after giving it much time to sink in, still don't like Carry On, and don't believe a word of it. I'm just hoping that he's just going through a phase he needs to go through and that eventually he'll get back to sitting down with a guitar and writing kick ass songs again. That doesn't mean he has to regress. He can do whatever he wants and I'll always be excited to hear it, and I will always go to his shows (saw two amazing performances in Dallas last year).

And we can't assume that he's going hip hop because of the producer, this album could rock either way. But judging by his alst record, it probably wont.
  • Its not about giving a free pass to anyone, for me. The material you have to judge on is the cds and live performances you've seen/ heard. His personal decisions can't be fully known by anyone that doesn't know him personally. Alot of people ask me if my best friend is on drugs or if he has some personality defect because of his quitting a job after loving it and having different friends and associates at different times and not acting like what they expect. Well, he doesn't do drugs. He is a musician, and I remember CC once saying that musicains are commonly self-absorbed and not as concerned with what others want. See,now I'm rambling like you. The thing is, I can speak for him because I've known him as well as anyone all this time. I can't say anything for Chris Cornell's personality, and I really don't give a fuck. He may be someone I'd never want to be around, I don't fucking know or care to.

From reading your posts, you seem to like most of his work, including the not so popular Revelations. It doesn't make sense why anyone would let non-musical issue interfer with their opinon of the actual .... MUSIC. You wanted more Audioslave, I'm sure alot did. But thats over. If you don't like something because of the way it sounds thats one thing. If your opinion is shaped by a personal grudge you hold against someone you don't know personally, thats rediculous. Just enjoy what you enjoy. You seem like the type that watches celebs on E! and reads tabloids.

A couple of things: I didn't say Cornell sounds liked Neil. I didn't say he sounds like Bowie either. Certainly Neil is on the opposite end of the spectrum from Bowie when it comes to rawness vs studio. Cornell would be in the very large middle somewhere.I was saying he may have the great, long term career that includes being musically all over the place like those two have.

He does something artificial to his voice in the studio very rarely. Their really aren't too many songs with a vocal effect on them. Per haps, its for the end product of the song and thats what matters to him at the time.

AND, I've seen Cornell just twice. Once, in October with Audioslave (a month before you did that tour). He sounded great, was having fun. But, as great as that concert was, it was topped by his show last year, from the tour you call, "lame". An opinon that would differ from 99% of witnesses to that particuar tour. When I saw them, he sounded even better than Oct 05, was having even more fun. And the band kicked ass. Considering the set list, its really difficult not to place that concert at the top of my list.

valid points and well taken.

Its not personal, but when I am sick of something, mixed in with this measage board I have been know to go off.
    As far as his drugs I did not mention that and if people took that as my whole point I am sorry for impyling that.
    Some people have religion I have Pearl Jam.

no more shows
  • muppet wrote:
    Okay.

1) Edit your posts

2) Type in English

3) Stop typing
    this so we
    can actually read
    what you're saying

4) Stop assuming you know Cornell because you've read a couple of interviews. You don't like him becuase of the women he hangs out with and the friends he keeps? Who the fuck cares? I'll be the first to admit that I'm not overly fond of Cornell's new ventures but that's strictly on a music basis - I couldn't give two shits if he was shagging Kim Thayil, as long as the music is good.

You dismiss any postive remarks made about Cornell as "totally opinion" and then spout out criticisms of your own, which are apprently not opinion yet fact. And that's a nice list of bands you've just put there, all of them been active for over a decade (with the likes of Springsteen and the Dead for more than 35 years). Is every band going to be compared to them? I'd say considering Cornells band have been playing for less than a year, they've doe pretty damn good.

I always get annoyed when I see people blindly follow an artist to the point of pathetic worship, but it annoys me as well when people seem to go out of their way to bring somebody down. The way you're talking, it's as if Cornell has done you some personal injury.

I think Cornell did use drugs, but again who cares? When arguments start to get away from the music then I just don't see the point. The guys a douche, oh dear, what a shame.

After this argument got moving I used interviews to argue poor show quality, and discord among the band. I tryed to let people know some of what I typed was at some point documented and not just made up by me.
    As far as the women comments I also used that in defense for his selling out.
    I didnt make some of those comments in my original points.
    I thought that I put that into better persective today.
    Also:
    I know its not fair to compare those bands, but using words like amazing will bring strong comparisons.
    There is no doubt I went a lil off the deep end, but I have been waitng for this for a long time and have stayed away from these discussions.

no more shows
  • valid pints and well taken.

Damn, I'm an invalid who could do with a pint right now. :)
    'We're learning songs for baby Jesus' birthday. His mum and dad were Merry and Joseph. He had a bed made of clay and the three kings bought him Gold, Frankenstein and Merv as presents.'

- the great Sir Leo Harrison
  • Damn, I'm an invalid who could do with a pint right now. :)

Some times I can be such a mess on here, 1 time you pmed and your reply was Its not like I killed a brother of yours?

I guess its to late to recant some of my feeling, they have been all quoted.

no more shows
  • ii44ii44 Posts: 430
    Honestly that is the 1 part of my rambles that are tru to the fact.

Sg had numerous problems touring, chris hated playing live, big part of the reason they broke up
    His voice was shot for years, his last tour the stage presence was horrible, I called a few of my pals from here and asked them if I was wrong ,and they said no, we have videos from baltimore and philly.
    read some old fan pages from sg, wasnt as good as you think.
    Listen to the audioslave dvd
    not his best moment.

Yeah, he sounded horrible live with AS, but Audioslave was along time ago. I've seen 3-4 DVDs from this tour, he's sounded fantastic in everyone.
  • Soundgarden didn't do drugs at all according to Chris. I think it's mentioned in this interview, may be the second part:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=wU4iIYVebfs
  • RyeGuyRyeGuy Posts: 215
    This album will suck.
    "Makes much more sense to live in the present tense." Ed Ved

"No one cares about climbing stairs, Nothing at the top no more." Chris Cornell
  • ii44ii44 Posts: 430
    RockMan wrote:
    This album will suck.

You have the leak?
  • Duder5kDuder5k Posts: 278
    I don't give a crap who produces it. This shoe asshole is most likely only going to be involved on a TECHNICAL level. Mixing, recording, that kinda shit.

I don't think we'll be expecting a rap album from Cornell, so calm down. Plus, Mr. Shoe has produced a bunch of other non-rap albums before, or so I hear. (He is named after shoes though, isn't he? Haha.)
  • BinauralBinaural Posts: 1,046
    Timbaland and Cornell: Why not?
    Who gives a shit what they've done before, more than anything I'm interested to see how Cornell changes his approach, not a big fan of the last album, and to see if Timbaland can approach something different to what he is usually involved with. Two completely different musicians coming together is always something to look forward to, whether it works or not is anyones guess. That said nothing other than stupidity and ignorance leads to someone claiming it will never work, you never know.
    ~*~*~*~*PROUD EVENFLOW PSYCHO #0026~*~*~*~*

*^*^*^*^*^*^*^RED MOSQUITO #2^*^*^*^*^*^*^*

Dublin 08/06
    Katowice 06/07 London 06/07 Dusseldorf 06/07 Nijgemen 06/07
  • sadprofessorsadprofessor Posts: 1,034
    The Man has a branch office in each of our brains, his corporate emblem is a white albatross, each local rep has a cover known as the Ego, and their mission in this world is Bad Shit.