And I'm bored to tears.......
  • scw156scw156 Posts: 442
    you're lame
    The Sentence Below Is True
    The Sentence Above Is False
  • SchokiSchoki Posts: 5,072
    Pearl Jam related? Please move to Other music
  • Ledbetterman10Ledbetterman10 Posts: 16,853
    Cornell isn't that good. sure, Soundgarden had a couple good albums but people around here think he's like one of the greatest singer/songwriters of the 90's......which is laughable.
    2000: Camden 1, 2003: Philly, State College, Camden 1, MSG 2, Hershey, 2004: Reading, 2005: Philly, 2006: Camden 1, 2, East Rutherford 1, 2007: Lollapalooza, 2008: Camden 1, Washington D.C., MSG 1, 2, 2009: Philly 1, 2, 3, 4, 2010: Bristol, MSG 2, 2011: PJ20 1, 2, 2012: Made In America, 2013: Brooklyn 2, Philly 2, 2014: Denver, 2015: Global Citizen Festival, 2016: Philly 2, Fenway 1, 2018: Fenway 1, 2, 2021: Sea. Hear. Now. 2022: Camden, 2024Philly 2

Pearl Jam bootlegs:
    http://wegotshit.blogspot.com
  • Cornell isn't that good. sure, Soundgarden had a couple good albums but people around here think he's like one of the greatest singer/songwriters of the 90's......which is laughable.

His in studio voice is amazing (Slaves and Bulldozers, Ugly Truth, Drawing Flies, Jesus Christ Pose etc) but live I really don't like his voice at all. Even the 92' shows his voice isnt that great.
  • gtrplyrgtrplyr Posts: 115
    Cornell isn't that good. sure, Soundgarden had a couple good albums but people around here think he's like one of the greatest singer/songwriters of the 90's......which is laughable.

The 90's? He's one of the greatest rock singers of all time. No doubt.
  • RICK RUBIN STARTED AS A HIP HOP PRODUCER

[/thread]
    You can't spell "dumb" without DMB
  • RICK RUBIN STARTED AS A HIP HOP PRODUCER

[/thread]

Well played. :)
    'We're learning songs for baby Jesus' birthday. His mum and dad were Merry and Joseph. He had a bed made of clay and the three kings bought him Gold, Frankenstein and Merv as presents.'

- the great Sir Leo Harrison
  • Cornell isn't that good. sure, Soundgarden had a couple good albums but people around here think he's like one of the greatest singer/songwriters of the 90's......which is laughable.

Though they were all great in the 90's
    Cornell > Staley > Vedder > Cobain
  • HermanBloomHermanBloom Posts: 1,764
    Somewhat agree; he has a powerful voice, but he's turned into a complete douche.
    SLC 11/2/95, Park City 6/21/98, Boise 11/3/00, Seattle 12/9/02, Vancouver 5/30/03, Gorge 9/1/05, Vancouver 9/2/05, Gorge 7/22/06, Gorge 7/23/06, Camden I 6/19/08, MSG I 6/24/08, MSG II 6/25/08, Hartford 6/27/08, Mansfield II 6/30/08; Eddie Albany 6/8/09, 6/9/09; Philly 10/30/09, 10/31/09; Boston 5/17/10
    I thought the world...Turns out the world thought me
  • Somewhat agree; he has a powerful voice, but he's turned into a complete douche.

that's what i'm getting these days too. wtf happened?
    me you wouldn't recall, cause i'm not my former.
  • ii44ii44 Posts: 430
    This thread is nonsense.
  • ledveddermanledvedderman Posts: 7,761
    Chris Cornell is the new Rod Stewart...
  • Though they were all great in the 90's

Cornell > Vedder > Staley > Cobain

One of the best ever Singer/ Song Witers Ever? - 100% TRUE.

I think the outcome this very interesting album will all depend on what Cornell does on it. His song writing, use of vocal, and lyrics to some degree. I can really appreciate what Timbaland does on his side. He says he'd rank his work on this album as his best with Timberlake as second and Furtado as third. I have both Timberlake albums (got them for free) and their excellent for what they are. I mostly play the last one. The production is top notch, plus Timbaland's musical talent is extremely obvious. I heard at least half of Furtado's album and it was really good. That "Say it Right" was excellent. The stuff he does is the best, IMO, in that pop genre.

Will this album sound like those two. I really don't think it will. Timbaland knows how to work with different people, obviously. His part will be there. Cornell's side will make this album what it essentially is. His mood, his songs have way more depth, substence than does Timberlake's or Furtado's or the hip-hop artist that have worked with Timbaland. Possibly Timbaland is so excited about this one because he knows it has the power to be a classic album in the long term sense, per longer than will his other best work. And that will be credited to Chris BadMotherFucker Cornell.
    bombs, dropping down, please forgive our hometown
  • NevermindNevermind Posts: 1,006
    Though they were all great in the 90's
    Exactly.
  • i think all twenty Cornell fans hang out on this board. Its laughable to think he is in the same league as Vedder.
  • MrSmith wrote:
    i think all twenty Cornell fans hang out on this board. Its laughable to think he is in the same league as Vedder.

Well, vocal talent he's above Vedder. Thats obvious to anyone. He'd be in the same league as Plant and Mercury and very few others. Use of vocals in the song, he's in the top of that category too; along with Vedder. The way the two of them use the melody is crazy and good. My favorites of my favorite style of singer.

I laugh at the people here who are so intimidated by Cornell's popularity. Only a few of many Cornell fans would post here, just as only 1% of PJ fans that I've met post here. In fact, I've met hundreds of PJ fans none of which have ever posted or even know about this place. Why is his popularity so bothersome? It doen't take away from PJ.
  • Well, vocal talent he's above Vedder. Thats obvious to anyone. He'd be in the same league as Plant and Mercury and very few others. Use of vocals in the song, he's in the top of that category too; along with Vedder. The way the two of them use the melody is crazy and good. My favorites of my favorite style of singer.

I laugh at the people here who are so intimidated by Cornell's popularity. Only a few of many Cornell fans would post here, just as only 1% of PJ fans that I've met post here. In fact, I've met hundreds of PJ fans none of which have ever posted or even know about this place. Why is his popularity so bothersome? It doen't take away from PJ.

Good post! Also people seem to think that claiming Cornell is better somehow is a disrespect to Vedder. They are both INCREDIBLE talents. However, some of Cornell's performances in the early 90's are epic. How can you listen to Temple of the Dog and not get chills down your spine. His performance on that album leaves me mystified every time I hear it. With that said, I met him during his tour last year and he was a douche. I would have preferred to meet Eddie.
  • lowlight10lowlight10 Posts: 619
    MrSmith wrote:
    i think all twenty Cornell fans hang out on this board. Its laughable to think he is in the same league as Vedder.

based on your signature (that you think Ten is the greatest album of all time) it doesnt surprise me that you dont appreciate Cornell's talent.
    -

"In your case, I'll check my brain at the door and we'll start even, okay?"

Have you thanked a taper today?
  • mrwalkerbmrwalkerb Posts: 1,015
    Well, vocal talent he's above Vedder. Thats obvious to anyone. He'd be in the same league as Plant and Mercury and very few others. Use of vocals in the song, he's in the top of that category too; along with Vedder. The way the two of them use the melody is crazy and good. My favorites of my favorite style of singer.

The problem with Chris Cornell is it's been almost a decade since he has done anything worth mentioning, I mean Audioslave was what it was but I was incredibly dissapointed by the complete pile of shit he called his second album, like Euphoria Morning was (and is) a good record, somewhere along the way he threw himself at the middle of the road. He's like the anti Mark Lanegan, instead of getting better the more solo work he releases and time he spends away from his band, Cornell just keeps falling towards footnote status
    "I'm not suicidal, except when I drink. That's why we don't all drink at the same time, there'd be no-one alive to drive home..."
    Chris Cornell

http://www.myspace.com/mrwalkerb
  • mrwalkerb wrote:
    The problem with Chris Cornell is it's been almost a decade since he has done anything worth mentioning, I mean Audioslave was what it was but I was incredibly dissapointed by the complete pile of shit he called his second album, like Euphoria Morning was (and is) a good record, somewhere along the way he threw himself at the middle of the road. He's like the anti Mark Lanegan, instead of getting better the more solo work he releases and time he spends away from his band, Cornell just keeps falling towards footnote status

The second solo album is worst Cornell album, sure. It has some good tracks, just way less of a work then all the previous. I wouldn't say that qualifies as "keeps falling". We'll see what the next album does for him. And the album after that, and the album after that we have a long way to go with Cornell and I have a feeling he'll cover a lot of different ground. He may come back to the Euphoria Morning sound or he may not. It could be good either way. I have a feeling like it will be.
  • ii44ii44 Posts: 430
    CHRIS' NEW CD IS TEH SUX IS DOES NOT SOUND LIKE sOUNDGARDEN aUDIOSLAVE MADE MY EARZ BLEED B CUZ IS WASNT SOUNDGARDN FIRE mATT GET soUNDGARDEN BACK 2GETHER KTHXBYE
  • DanimalDanimal Posts: 2,000
    ii44 wrote:
    CHRIS' NEW CD IS TEH SUX IS DOES NOT SOUND LIKE sOUNDGARDEN aUDIOSLAVE MADE MY EARZ BLEED B CUZ IS WASNT SOUNDGARDN FIRE mATT GET soUNDGARDEN BACK 2GETHER KTHXBYE

IS WHAT WHERE WHEN ON UNDER
    "I don't believe in PJ fans but I believe there is something, not too sure what." - Thoughts_Arrive

• MrSmith wrote:

i agree

Chris Cornell blows Eddie away a million times over vocally.
    You can't spell "dumb" without DMB
  • Timbaland and Cornell are a potentially fascinating pairing, I think - both are artists who have suffered from being pigeonholed in the past and I don't think either of them actually believe that there should be such a thing as genre for anyone who calls themselves creative. Timbaland is not purely an "urban" producer; he's also worked with artists like Bjork and Beck. And I'd certainly rather see CC step out of the rock/grunge box and try something genuinely different and innovative rather than doing duets with Vedder or teaming up with Jimmy Page. ;) That would be sticking to the rules. This will involve breaking a few - and that's genuinely alternative.

Here's a quote that one of the guitarists from CC's live band, Peter Thorn, recently made on the Cornell forum about the album and what it might prove to be (and no, he didn't play on it) Interesting comparison he makes with Bowie.

"Think back 25 years ago, to another time... a killer rocker named David Bowie had just released his 17th (!!!) album, titled "Let's Dance", produced by Chic's Nile Rodgers.... He'd been many things up to that point, and some people might have thought, hmmmm this doesn't sound like Ziggy anymore.... :) Bowie had already surprised some people with "Low", the Brian Eno produced minimalist effort that followed the commercial sound of "Young Americans", and then collaborating with Queen on "Under Pressure"... But the man was stretching creatively, collaborating not just with Nile but with the late great Stevie Ray Vaughn, one of the greatest guitarists ever.....Bowie then went on to shape shift some more, experimenting with industrial, hip hop, and drum and bass styles, and more collaborations with guys like Brian Eno, and Trent Reznor - one of my favorite videos ever, and what a killer track, talk about not getting stagnant 25 years into your career. Anyways, you know what I'm getting at :) It's art, and it ain't supposed to be safe and predictable... let's all enjoy the ride."

So yeah...let the rawk fundamentalists whine if they want. :) If this new album with Timbaland turns out to be CC's "Let's Dance", and opens a whole new audience's ears to who he is and what he can do, I certainly won't be complaining.
    www.myspace.com/clareobrienwright
    www.chriscornell.org.uk
  • Timbaland and Cornell are a potentially fascinating pairing, I think - both are artists who have suffered from being pigeonholed in the past and I don't think either of them actually believe that there should be such a thing as genre for anyone who calls themselves creative. Timbaland is not purely an "urban" producer; he's also worked with artists like Bjork and Beck. And I'd certainly rather see CC step out of the rock/grunge box and try something genuinely different and innovative rather than doing duets with Vedder or teaming up with Jimmy Page. ;) That would be sticking to the rules. This will involve breaking a few - and that's genuinely alternative.

Here's a quote that one of the guitarists from CC's live band, Peter Thorn, recently made on the Cornell forum about the album and what it might prove to be (and no, he didn't play on it) Interesting comparison he makes with Bowie.

"Think back 25 years ago, to another time... a killer rocker named David Bowie had just released his 17th (!!!) album, titled "Let's Dance", produced by Chic's Nile Rodgers.... He'd been many things up to that point, and some people might have thought, hmmmm this doesn't sound like Ziggy anymore.... :) Bowie had already surprised some people with "Low", the Brian Eno produced minimalist effort that followed the commercial sound of "Young Americans", and then collaborating with Queen on "Under Pressure"... But the man was stretching creatively, collaborating not just with Nile but with the late great Stevie Ray Vaughn, one of the greatest guitarists ever.....Bowie then went on to shape shift some more, experimenting with industrial, hip hop, and drum and bass styles, and more collaborations with guys like Brian Eno, and Trent Reznor - one of my favorite videos ever, and what a killer track, talk about not getting stagnant 25 years into your career. Anyways, you know what I'm getting at :) It's art, and it ain't supposed to be safe and predictable... let's all enjoy the ride."

So yeah...let the rawk fundamentalists whine if they want. :) If this new album with Timbaland turns out to be CC's "Let's Dance", and opens a whole new audience's ears to who he is and what he can do, I certainly won't be complaining.

Like the Bowie comparisons. Bowie has is one of my favorites and has been since I can remember. When you said "teaming up with Jimmy Page", my heart skipped a beat. Thats a glorious dream I had never conjured up. Bowie has had an amazing career with all kinds of diversity, same with Neil young. They always sound like them selves but do different stuff. I'm thinking Cornell's career may be like that.

So, did any of his current band play on the album?
  • PJSEMPREPJSEMPRE Posts: 687
    i agree

Chris Cornell blows Eddie away a million times over vocally.

Eddie is a better songwriter and frontman. Million times better.
    Let's say knowledge is a tree, yeah.
    It's growing up just like me.
  • PJSEMPRE wrote:
    Eddie is a better songwriter and frontman. Million times better.
    Songwriter or lyricist? Cornell wrote about half of Soundgarden music!! Not to mention almost all there lyrics. Granted he seems to have lost some of that magic as of late, but in his SG days was a prolific songwriter.
  • Like the Bowie comparisons. Bowie has is one of my favorites and has been since I can remember. When you said "teaming up with Jimmy Page", my heart skipped a beat. Thats a glorious dream I had never conjured up. Bowie has had an amazing career with all kinds of diversity, same with Neil young. They always sound like them selves but do different stuff. I'm thinking Cornell's career may be like that.

So, did any of his current band play on the album?

I heard from an inside source in Dec that it was likely but haven't heard anything since. I think Yogi recorded a solo album recently so I don't know what that means in terms of his availability. I guess we shall see :-)

Three crooked hearts, swirls all around

You can't spell Gossard without G-O-D
  • sadprofessorsadprofessor Posts: 1,034
    He has been dead to me since Audioslave.
    The Man has a branch office in each of our brains, his corporate emblem is a white albatross, each local rep has a cover known as the Ego, and their mission in this world is Bad Shit.