Are Metallica done?

Cropduster84Cropduster84 Posts: 1,283
edited April 2008 in Other Music
Just noticing some of the arguments in the RHCP thread and thought alot of them could easily apply to Metallica....

The Black album was released in 1991, they havent done much of any worth since....

To think Pearl Jam have had their whole career in that time too.....
'The more I studied religions the more I am convinced that man never worshipped anything but himself.' - Sir Richard Francis Burton
Post edited by Unknown User on

Comments

• surfanddestroysurfanddestroy Posts: 2,786
    Just noticing some of the arguments in the RHCP thread and thought alot of them could easily apply to Metallica....

The Black album was released in 1991, they havent done much of any worth since....

To think Pearl Jam have had their whole career in that time too.....

They have been done for a long time now.
    Astoria 20/04/06, Leeds 25/08/06, Prague 22/09/06, Wembley 18/06/07,
    Dusseldorf 21/06/07, Manchester 17/08/09, London 18/08/09, LA 06/10/09, LA 07/10/09.

Ain't gonna be any middle anymore.
  • intodeepintodeep Posts: 7,228
    They are working with Rick Ruben on the album coming out this year and it is supposed to be the come back album.

I do find it annoying when bands take 5 years to put out a band. hopefully pj will come out with a new one sooner then it took for "pearl jam" to come out.
    Charlotte 00
    Charlotte 03
    Asheville 04
    Atlanta 12
    Greenville 16, Columbia 16
    Seattle 18 
    Nashville 22
  • Cropduster84Cropduster84 Posts: 1,283
    intodeep wrote:
    hopefully pj will come out with a new one sooner then it took for "pearl jam" to come out.

I second that....
    'The more I studied religions the more I am convinced that man never worshipped anything but himself.' - Sir Richard Francis Burton
  • They have been done for a long time now.

I agree, anything after 'Load' is shite and that was tenuous....
    Been to this many PJ shows: Reading 2006 London 2007 Manchester & London 2009 Dublin, Belfast, London, Nijmegen & Berlin 2010 Manchester 1 & Manchester 2 2012...

... and I still think Drive-By Truckers are better.
  • Ledbetterman10Ledbetterman10 Posts: 16,853

And if they bother to talk about PJ on Metallica's message board, they probably say that they haven't done anything since Vitalogy
    2000: Camden 1, 2003: Philly, State College, Camden 1, MSG 2, Hershey, 2004: Reading, 2005: Philly, 2006: Camden 1, 2, East Rutherford 1, 2007: Lollapalooza, 2008: Camden 1, Washington D.C., MSG 1, 2, 2009: Philly 1, 2, 3, 4, 2010: Bristol, MSG 2, 2011: PJ20 1, 2, 2012: Made In America, 2013: Brooklyn 2, Philly 2, 2014: Denver, 2015: Global Citizen Festival, 2016: Philly 2, Fenway 1, 2018: Fenway 1, 2, 2021: Sea. Hear. Now. 2022: Camden, 2024Philly 2

Pearl Jam bootlegs:
    http://wegotshit.blogspot.com
  • FlaggFlagg Posts: 5,856
    No they are not done. I expect a big comeback with their new album now that they got St. Anger out of their system. I think they realize that record sucked.

Am I the only one that prefers Load and ReLoad over the Black album? I don't really like the Black album at all.
    DAL-7/5/98,10/17/00,6/9/03,11/15/13
    BOS-9/28/04,9/29/04,6/28/08,6/30/08, 9/5/16, 9/7/16, 9/2/18
    MTL-9/15/05, OTT-9/16/05
    PHL-5/27/06,5/28/06,10/30/09,10/31/09
    CHI-8/2/07,8/5/07,8/23/09,8/24/09
    HTFD-6/27/08
    ATX-10/4/09, 10/12/14
    KC-5/3/2010,STL-5/4/2010
    Bridge School-10/23/2010,10/24/2010
    PJ20-9/3/2011,9/4/2011
    OKC-11/16/13
    SEA-12/6/13
    TUL-10/8/14
  • Dont you mean 'Lica? cuz the Metal left a long time ago.
  • Super VedderSuper Vedder Posts: 1,531
    MrSmith wrote:
    Dont you mean 'Lica? cuz the Metal left a long time ago.

genius, well done sir! :D
    Black, the greatest without a doubt........
  • Brain Of EBrain Of E Posts: 499
    I'm giving thme one last chance to put out a semi-listenable record. If Rick can't save them, they should give it up and do solo albums or start other bands with other people.
    Down in the hole, Jesus tries to crack a smile beneath another shovel load.
  • And if they bother to talk about PJ on Metallica's message board, they probably say that they haven't done anything since Vitalogy

I doubt that.

Besides, we all know PJ have never written anything better than the lyrical genius that is "Frantic tick tock..." :rolleyes:

I rest my case.
    Been to this many PJ shows: Reading 2006 London 2007 Manchester & London 2009 Dublin, Belfast, London, Nijmegen & Berlin 2010 Manchester 1 & Manchester 2 2012...

• intodeep wrote:
    They are working with Rick Ruben on the album coming out this year and it is supposed to be the come back album.

St. Anger was also suppose to be the "comeback" album. I remember they were promoting it, saying they went back to some of the traits they had on albums like ...And Justice for All. True, some of the songs were in the 7 minute range, but not one song had a solo with Kirk. How are you going to have an entire Metallica album without Kirk shredding on at least one song? After listening to St. Anger and watching the documentary Some Kind of Monster, my image of them have been tainted forever. '80s Metallica = amazing. '90s and so on Metallica = garbage. If you want some real metal, listen to Slayer.
  • muppetmuppet Posts: 980
    And if they bother to talk about PJ on Metallica's message board, they probably say that they haven't done anything since Vitalogy

Yeah that's probably true. People dismiss Metallicas later work just as people dismiss Pearl Jams later work. Bit unfair really.
  • Gremmie95Gremmie95 Posts: 749
    muppet wrote:
    Yeah that's probably true. People dismiss Metallicas later work just as people dismiss Pearl Jams later work. Bit unfair really.

They dismiss their later work because everything after ....and justic for all was CRAP! How do you go from albums like: Kill 'em all, Ride the lightning, Master of Puppets, and justice for all to- Black album (decent), load (everything minus hero of the day sucked) re-load (crap) St. Anger (big steaming pile of crap.
  • ii44ii44 Posts: 430
    I doubt that.

Besides, we all know PJ have never written anything better than the lyrical genius that is "Frantic tick tock..." :rolleyes:

I rest my case.

Metalica's lyrics have always sucked, this is not confined to St. Anger.
    Gremmie95 wrote:
    They dismiss their later work because everything after ....and justic for all was CRAP! How do you go from albums like: Kill 'em all, Ride the lightning, Master of Puppets, and justice for all to- Black album (decent), load (everything minus hero of the day sucked) re-load (crap) St. Anger (big steaming pile of crap.

Justice kinda sucks though, yeah there are a couple of good songs, but it's just a rehash of everything the did on the previous two records.
  • upina2001upina2001 Posts: 764
    has anyone happened to catch the Metallica Documentary on VH1-Classic?
    Cameras are allowed into therapy, to see how Lars and Kurt interact without James cause he is away at rehab, while trying to write an album, and when James returns he has a set schedule of 4 hours rehearsal time a day. Period....no exceptions.
    Plus James struggles psychologically with the "role" he is supposed to "play" as the lead singer of Metallica and after playing that role for so long, he is finally owrn himself out and he cant play the role anymore.......it was very eye-opening at the "struggle within" the group. The therapist even made Lars go back and talk to Dave Mustaine to help understand the "bigger picture" of what they were, and how they have come to be what they are today. It was made really well and i highly recommend watching it. Made me feel like they arent going to be around much longer unless they turn into Aerosmith and continue to tour based only on past success. And sure, some people say PJ does the same thing, (tour based on past success), and I give Metallica credit, they've stuck it out. However, any band that is in therapy, might as well hang it up.

I have seen them 3 times and each time it was terrific; granted the last time I saw them was 98, and James' voice just isnt the same. He's lost part of his growl....but I imagine it's still pretty intense.

Toledo, Ohio (September 22, 1996), East Troy, Wisconsin (June 26, 1998), Noblesville, Indiana (August 17, 1998), Noblesville, Indiana (August 18, 2000), Cincinnati, Ohio (August 20, 2000), Columbus, Ohio (August 21, 2000), Nashville, Tennessee (April 18, 2003), Champaign, Illinois (April 23, 2003), Noblesville, Indiana (June 22, 2003), Chicago, Illinois (May 16, 2006), Chicago, Illinois (August 05, 2007), West Palm Beach, Florida (June 11, 2008), Tampa, Florida (June 12, 2008), Columbus, OH (May 06, 2010), Noblesville, Indiana (May 07, 2010), Wrigley Field (July 19, 2013), US Bank Arena (October 01, 2014), Lexington (April 26, 2016), Chicago Night 2 (August 20, 2018), Boston Night 1 (September 02, 2018), Nashville (September 16, 2022), St. Louis (September 18, 2022)

• SVRDhand13SVRDhand13 Posts: 26,152
    ii44 wrote:
    Justice kinda sucks though, yeah there are a couple of good songs, but it's just a rehash of everything the did on the previous two records.

Justice is amazing. Too bad they havent released anything good since it came out. Black Album= overrated.
    severed hand thirteen
    2006: Gorge 7/23 2008: Hartford 6/27 Beacon 7/1 2009: Spectrum 10/30-31
    2010: Newark 5/18 MSG 5/20-21 2011: PJ20 9/3-4 2012: Made In America 9/2
    2013: Brooklyn 10/18-19 Philly 10/21-22 Hartford 10/25 2014: ACL10/12
    2015: NYC 9/23 2016: Tampa 4/11 Philly 4/28-29 MSG 5/1-2 Fenway 8/5+8/7
    2017: RRHoF 4/7   2018: Fenway 9/2+9/4   2021: Sea Hear Now 9/18 
    2022: MSG 9/11  2024: MSG 9/3-4 Philly 9/7+9/9 Fenway 9/15+9/17
  • tybirdtybird Posts: 17,388
    upina2001 wrote:
    The therapist even made Lars go back and talk to Dave Mustaine to help understand the "bigger picture" of what they were, and how they have come to be what they are today. It was made really well and i highly recommend watching it.
    That was great viewing....seeing Mustaine open up, take the blame for his mistakes while showing Lars that if they were true friends.....they would have tried to be more helpful back in the day.
    All the world will be your enemy, Prince with a thousand enemies, and whenever they catch you, they will kill you. But first they must catch you, digger, listener, runner, prince with the swift warning. Be cunning and full of tricks and your people shall never be destroyed.
  • OdinOdin Posts: 599
    As I mentioned a few months ago, Metallica's next album is a make-or-break album. If they come out with another "St. Anger" or even another "Reload," their careers are over. However, if they return to form on their next album, everyone will be back on the Metallica bandwagon in no time. And let's keep in mind that they are one of the few bands from that era that could still sell out arenas all across the country.
  • They might be done, but you never know with a band like this. When it really comes down to it, they've only made 2 really bad albums (the ones after Load). The rest were excellent, so it's hard for me to count them out totally yet. If this next one stinks, maybe I'll say yes.
  • Call me crazy but I like every Metallica album. As a band, they fascinate me; the changes of style are what keep them interesting. The production on St. Anger is appalling but some of the songs aren't too bad; they're just too long and the lack of solos wasn't a great idea either. I can't wait for the new album.
    Call me crazy but I like every Metallica album. As a band, they fascinate me; the changes of style are what keep them interesting. The production on St. Anger is appalling but some of the songs aren't too bad; they're just too long and the lack of solos wasn't a great idea either. I can't wait for the new album.

I don't hate St. Anger, but they have to realize that [long songs] doesn't equal [good(!)] A big problem with their post black-album records is that the albums are too long and many of the songs meander pointlessly and need to be trimmed down.
  • I hate how its so cool to talk trash on the Black Album. Its not as good as Master of Puppets (thats their masterpiece) but I think its their second best album. Enter Sandmon, Of Wolf and Man, Don't Tread on Me, The Unforgiven, Sad But True, Wherever I May Room, Through the Never. All rocking. All classics.

True its less Metal then before but its more classic rock. Its the album that gave them cred with people who didn't really care for Metal.

To me its like when a punk group gets to "good" they become less punk and more rock, ie Green Day, The Clash. I think this applies to Metal as well. This is what happened with Metallica with the Black Album. If Load and Reload had been combined to one album with the best 12 songs chosen it would have been a kick ass record as well.

No excuse for St. Anger tho.
    10/31/2000 (****)
    6/7/2003 (***1/2)
    7/9/2006 (****1/2)
    7/13/2006 (**** )
    4/10/2008 EV Solo (****1/2)
    6/25/2008 MSG II (*****)
    10/1/2009 LA II (****)
    10/6/2009 LA III (***** Cornell!!!)
  • LikeAnOceanLikeAnOcean Posts: 7,718
    Metallica were done the second they came up with their name.

:p

I'll give them some respect though. I liked them in high school when I was full of teen agnst and hated the world and acne, but that only lasts a few years.. What are these guys 50 now?

I can't help but think about living in my parents basement when I hear a Metallica song.
  • spnkrispnkri Posts: 137
    ii44 wrote:
    I don't hate St. Anger, but they have to realize that [long songs] doesn't equal [good(!)] A big problem with their post black-album records is that the albums are too long and many of the songs meander pointlessly and need to be trimmed down.

Even their self-titled album had a big yellow sticker on the cover advertising "over 62 minutes of music!" as if an hour long album was twice as goof as a 30 minute album.

I personally dislike Master Of Puppets and And Justice For All, and of course Reload and St. Anger. The only good albums they've put out are Ride The Lightning, Metallica and a few songs on Load. And Garage Days Re-revisited was decent too, if that counts.

I can't say I'm too excited about the new one, but I'll at least check it out. And by check it out, I mean I'll download it for free on Demonoid.
  • ii44 wrote:
    Metalica's lyrics have always sucked, this is not confined to St. Anger.

well they used to be a little better than StAnger....

Metallica have gone seriously downhill.

• reeferchiefreeferchief Posts: 3,569
    Black album is a classic, Load is ok, but live Metallica have still continued to be awesome at least, Garage Inc was pretty good I thought(remember this is all my opinion) S&M was awesome the best thing they have done/put out whatever since, well since the 80's.
    St Anger I think gets bashed a little too much, by most bands standards this album is good, by Metallica's standards it's fairly lackluster, Metallica raised the bar so high in the 80's it was always going to get to the point where it was hard to reach again.
    Can not be arsed with life no more.
  • intodeepintodeep Posts: 7,228
    I would rank their albums like this:
    Master of Puppets

Ride the Lightening

Kill Em All

And Justice for All
    Black

Load

ReLoad

St Anger
    Charlotte 00
    Charlotte 03
    Asheville 04
    Atlanta 12
    Greenville 16, Columbia 16
    Seattle 18 
    Nashville 22
  • muppetmuppet Posts: 980
    How are Metallica like live? I'm seeing them at the Leeds festival.
  • Hopefully the new CD (St. Angrier?) will be a return to form for Metallica. I can't take another Load, Re-Load era.