Zeitgeist. Not as good as SM, MCAIS or Adore but better than Machina.

13»

Comments

• listing most of the album, does nothing to back up your point. Siamese Dream and Mellon Collie (in particular) shit all over Adore froma huge height. Only To Sheila and Ava Adore from that album deserve to be mentioned in the same breath as classics like Mayonaise, Soma, Cherub Rock, Hummer, 1979, Zero etc.
    For Martha is one of the best songs Corgan's ever written. Easily top 5 and probably top 3.
    Come on pilgrim you know he loves you..

http://www.wishlistfoundation.org

Oh my, they dropped the leash.

Morgan Freeman/Clint Eastwood 08' for President!

"Make our day"
  • darthvedder88darthvedder88 Posts: 1,023
    While I think it's definately an amazing album, Adore is probably my least favorite album from the Smashing Pumpkins. First off, let me say that are some absolute classics on Adore: To Sheila, For Martha, Tear, Crestfallen, Apples + Oranjes, Pug, and the single Ava Adore. I would love to hear some of these songs played live from the Pumpkins!!! All really great. As for the other songs well...Blank Page is a beautiful song, but it seems like there could've been more to it, Perfect took me a while to get used to, as did Once Upon a Time, Annie-Dog is kinda boring IMO, and Behold the Nightmare just isn't as epic as the other epics Corgan has written. My main problem with the album is that Jimmy Chamberlin was not present. Had Jimmy been there for Adore, then it may have been a jazz record instead of an electronic/acoustic album with mostly electronic drumbeats (yes I like jazz!). Granted, I think this is an amazing album to listen to on a really foggy day, when the atmosphere is really quiet and you're going through a really bad time.

As for Machina, I thought it had a great concept. I loved the story, had even more Pumpkins classics: Stand Inside Your Love, Age of Innocence, The Everlasting Gaze, Heavy Metal Machine, This Time, Glass and the Ghost Children, Blue Skies Bring Tears...only problem with this album was I couldn't listen to it all the way through when I first got it. I could listen to different parts of the album and enjoy it, but once I digested it I could really sit down and listne to the whole thing. Machina 2 is better IMO, some more rocking songs like Cash Car Star, Dross, and White Spyder along with some great ballads such as Let Me Give the World to You, Go, and Innosense.

Hey all you fanboys, where's the love for Gish?!!! This was an excellent record.

Mellon Collie will always be my favorite, but right now Siamese Dream and Zeitgeist are duking it out for 2nd and 3rd.
    "Darth Vader would say 'Impressive'."

-Eddie Vedder

6/24/06 Cincinatti, Ohio
    6/14/08 Manchester, Tennessee
  • facepollutionfacepollution Posts: 6,834
    For Martha is one of the best songs Corgan's ever written. Easily top 5 and probably top 3.

One of the better ones from the album, but nowhere near top 3 in my view. Not even his top 3 ballads, 33, In the arms of sleep and 1979 from the second Mellon Collie cd all trump it, off the top of my head.
  • Billy was asked about recording Adore without Jimmy and said that if he had been around that the record would probably have sounded more like 'In The Arms of Sleep'

This was after one of the Asheville shows I believe...
  • darthvedder88darthvedder88 Posts: 1,023
    Billy was asked about recording Adore without Jimmy and said that if he had been around that the record would probably have sounded more like 'In The Arms of Sleep'

This was after one of the Asheville shows I believe...

Oh really? That would've been an interesting album to hear. But yeah, either way Adore would've been a lot different with Jimmy around.
    "Darth Vader would say 'Impressive'."

-Eddie Vedder

6/24/06 Cincinatti, Ohio
    6/14/08 Manchester, Tennessee