Zeitgeist. Not as good as SM, MCAIS or Adore but better than Machina.

Comments

• facepollutionfacepollution Posts: 6,834
    Saturnal wrote:
    I dunno, I just feel like the material that appears on Adore comes from an inspired artist. The material on Zeitgeist seems like it's coming from someone who desperately wants to put his band back together, and not someone who is highly inspired to necessarily create new material. The lyrics and style on Adore are much better imo. The drumming makes no difference. Smashing Pumpkins is Billy Corgan backed up by 3 or 4 other people...doesn't matter who they are. It's the same with NIN.

And when I say bad vocals, I don't mean his voice...I mean the way the vocals were mixed in...bad production or something.

P.S. - what's the favor I should do?

The favour is to go back and listen to it again with no expectations! Seriously, I had a lot of hopes for the album, but had NO CLUE what it would sound like. Read my long diatribe in the other Pumpkins thread, you'll get where I'm coming from - .http://forums.pearljam.com/showthread.php?t=250334&page=3 I'm not saying this is his greatest material ever, but it's certainly the most melodically consistent album he's done since Mellon Collie.
  • lalalalaaaaaaaalalalalaaaaaaaa Posts: 2,445
    The favour is to go back and listen to it again with no expectations! Seriously, I had a lot of hopes for the album, but had NO CLUE what it would sound like. Read my long diatribe in the other Pumpkins thread, you'll get where I'm coming from - .http://forums.pearljam.com/showthread.php?t=250334&page=3 I'm not saying this is his greatest material ever, but it's certainly the most melodically consistent album he's done since Mellon Collie.
    Yeah, I've listened to it 3 times total...I just don't feel anything from it. I have high hopes for anything Corgan puts out because he's shown he has the potential to create great music. This just didn't cut it for me. I guess it's melodic, but I don't think that's really something I look for in an album. That's like saying "the time signatures were 4/4 consistently all the way through"...maybe so, but it's not something that makes for a good album. It's just a given.
    Saturnal wrote:
    Yeah, I've listened to it 3 times total...I just don't feel anything from it. I have high hopes for anything Corgan puts out because he's shown he has the potential to create great music. This just didn't cut it for me. I guess it's melodic, but I don't think that's really something I look for in an album. That's like saying "the time signatures were 4/4 consistently all the way through"...maybe so, but it's not something that makes for a good album. It's just a given.

It's not a given at all. Catchy songs absolutely do make an album. Melody is essential in making a song memorable, it's no coincidence that the overwhelming majority of Pumpkins fans would take Siamese Dream over Adore or Machina. SD is absolutely loaded with pop hooks, whereas a lot of Adore and Machina focus on far more subtle melodies, which some bands do well, but that is certainly not where Corgan excells.
  • lalalalaaaaaaaalalalalaaaaaaaa Posts: 2,445
    It's not a given at all. Catchy songs absolutely do make an album. Melody is essential in making a song memorable, it's no coincidence that the overwhelming majority of Pumpkins fans would take Siamese Dream over Adore or Machina. SD is absolutely loaded with pop hooks, whereas a lot of Adore and Machina focus on far more subtle melodies, which some bands do well, but that is certainly not where Corgan excells.
    I think this kinda thing just comes down to opinion really. Smash by The Offspring is filled with catchy songs too, but that doesn't mean it compares artistically to Siamese Dream. Tool doesn't use 4/4 a lot, but I love their sound. If all it took was melody and 4/4 to make great records, everyone would just go out and buy "Music Theory For Dummies" and make records.

What interests me more is the artistry that goes into it. If catchy melodies support that, then that's great. But if you don't have a strong artistic/inspired base for the songs, it won't matter how catchy the songs are to me.
  • Brisk.Brisk. Posts: 11,557
    i think being just a taper and loving to listen to the latest shows live has ruined this album.. i really cant listen to it... United states is pretty good studio and bleeding the orchid. They complete over friggin produced starz.. starz ahs an awesome roar at the end live..

bah

the songs are 99999 times better live
    Saturnal wrote:
    I think this kinda thing just comes down to opinion really. Smash by The Offspring is filled with catchy songs too, but that doesn't mean it compares artistically to Siamese Dream. Tool doesn't use 4/4 a lot, but I love their sound. If all it took was melody and 4/4 to make great records, everyone would just go out and buy "Music Theory For Dummies" and make records.

What interests me more is the artistry that goes into it. If catchy melodies support that, then that's great. But if you don't have a strong artistic/inspired base for the songs, it won't matter how catchy the songs are to me.

Sorry I think maybe I over-simplified my point, there is nothing to say the melodies can't be complex, of course anyone can write catchy pop rock type stuff, but that's not what I'm talking about. I'm talking about the pop perfection of songs like Today and Tonight Tonight, compared with the rather dull Appels and Oranjes or Try Try Try.
  • Ginger is the only thing Billy's gotten right with this reunion thing. Wah wah wee wah!

The Zeitgeist production was poor.

The album is sub-par to this longtime TSP fan. It has it's moments (when Starz rocks out, the single, US), but it lacks as a whole.

The 4 different albums also pissed me off.

But as long as Jimmy Chamberlin's involved, I'll buy it. He's the best drummer in rock today.
    May your days be long, til kingdom come.

Join the fight to prevent suicide at www.afsp.org
    Ginger is the only thing Billy's gotten right with this reunion thing. Wah wah wee wah!

The Zeitgeist production was poor.

The album is sub-par to this longtime TSP fan. It has it's moments (when Starz rocks out, the single, US), but it lacks as a whole.

The 4 different albums also pissed me off.

But as long as Jimmy Chamberlin's involved, I'll buy it. He's the best drummer in rock today.

thats quite an accurate summary
  • jsasojsaso Posts: 179
    I BrisK I wrote:
    why kid

its incredibly lame and not funny

hmmm...
    i bet you like nu-metal
    jsaso wrote:
    hmmm...
    i bet you like nu-metal

LOL

basing that on what....

fuck you even more for accusing me of that!
    I BrisK I wrote:
    LOL

basing that on what....

fuck you even more for accusing me of that!

IP Ban
    jsaso wrote:
    IP Ban

lol

for doing what?
    I BrisK I wrote:
    lol

for doing what?

look mandy...stop asking me out...
    i am taken...it just wouldnt work...
    so move on...
    there are plenty of nice guys for you mandy
    ...i believe that...
    i believe that with all my heart...
    good luck in finding your true love...
    What in the name of giddy fuck is going on in here?! Uh....Pumpkins rule all, that will be all.
    What in the name of giddy fuck is going on in here?! Uh....Pumpkins rule all, that will be all.

IBriskI (Mandy) fell in love with me...
    yes it is true...
    but her love is unwanted...
    :(
    do you want her?
    jsaso wrote:
    IBriskI (Mandy) fell in love with me...
    yes it is true...
    but her love is unwanted...
    :(
    do you want her?

I think, but don't quote me on this, that brisk thinks you're a bit of a numpty, like the rest of us do, but I could be wrong......
  • wash_wash_ Posts: 1,073
    I think, but don't quote me on this, that brisk thinks you're a bit of a numpty, like the rest of us do, but I could be wrong......

You're not wrong...popular opinion. :)
    2006 ░▒▓ Astoria, Dublin, Leeds, Reading, Lisbon, Paris, Verona, Athens
    2007 ░▒▓ London, Dusseldorf, Copenhagen, Nijmegen
    2009 ░▒▓ Manchester, London
    2010 ░▒▓ Hyde Park

*§* Music is all the juice i'll need *§*
    wash_ wrote:
    You're not wrong...popular opinion. :)
    brisk loves me...
  • DaytimeDilemmaDaytimeDilemma Posts: 2,008
    jsaso never ceases to amaze me.
    okaay

iam completey confused
    I BrisK I wrote:
    okaay

iam completey confused

You're not the only one!

:)
    2010 ░▒▓ Hyde Park

I BrisK I wrote:
    okaay

iam completey confused

mandy you were not confused last night...
    but we both know that was wrong...
    keep your head up girl...
    move on
    jsaso wrote:
    mandy you were not confused last night...
    but we both know that was wrong...
    keep your head up girl...
    move on

if only i was actually a girl...
    I BrisK I wrote:
    if only i was actually a girl...

i know that you have a soul patch...but that doesnt make
    you anyless of a girl...
    i am sure that there are alot of guys that find soul paches
    cute...
    just get on the horse again
    jsaso wrote:
    i know that you have a soul patch...but that doesnt make
    you anyless of a girl...
    i am sure that there are alot of guys that find soul paches
    cute...
    just get on the horse again

And what song/poem/mental ramblings would this be?
    2010 ░▒▓ Hyde Park

I would like to take this opportunity to say that Adore is the worst Smashing Pumpkins album.
    I would like to take this opportunity to say that Adore is the worst Smashing Pumpkins album.

whaaaaaaaaaaaaaattttttt?
    adore is my favourite pumpkins album ...
    i would rather give up girls for a year, then adore for a day
    jsaso wrote:
    whaaaaaaaaaaaaaattttttt?
    adore is my favourite pumpkins album ...
    i would rather give up girls for a year, then adore for a day

Judging by your irritating demeanour, I very much doubt there is even a girl to give up, let alone 'girls'. And yeah it really is their worst, it has like two good songs.
    Judging by your irritating demeanour, I very much doubt there is even a girl to give up, let alone 'girls'. And yeah it really is their worst, it has like two good songs.

to sheila, ava adore, perfect, daphne, tear, crestafallen, behold the nightmare, annie dog, SHAME, BLANK PAGE!!!, FOR MARTHA!!!!!, blissed and gone, my mistake, once in a while, let me give the world to you,
    cash car star

all classics...last to ended on machina II, but they are adore songs
    and now i am gonna go hunting for a beaver
    jsaso wrote:
    to sheila, ava adore, perfect, daphne, tear, crestafallen, behold the nightmare, annie dog, SHAME, BLANK PAGE!!!, FOR MARTHA!!!!!, blissed and gone, my mistake, once in a while, let me give the world to you,
    cash car star

all classics...last to ended on machina II, but they are adore songs
    and now i am gonna go hunting for a beaver

listing most of the album, does nothing to back up your point. Siamese Dream and Mellon Collie (in particular) shit all over Adore froma huge height. Only To Sheila and Ava Adore from that album deserve to be mentioned in the same breath as classics like Mayonaise, Soma, Cherub Rock, Hummer, 1979, Zero etc.