Pumpkins Vs Nirvana

1235»

Comments

• reeferchiefreeferchief Posts: 3,569
    glasshouse wrote:
    ahh, how i love all this Nirvana douche on my pearl jam message board.

fuck, i almost forgot to piss in the drink water: Nirvana is the epitome of bad rock n' roll. fucking trailer trash paintbrushes.

Erm were in the other music section, it's what it is for.
    Can not be arsed with life no more.
  • glasshouseglasshouse Posts: 1,762
    erm, i don't mind. you can discuss the greatness of nirvana till you get tongue-tied, i couldn't care less. as long as you know i know they aren't worth it.
    Athens, Greece: 2006/09/30

"Call me Ishmael. Some years ago- never mind how long precisely- having little or no money in my purse, and nothing particular to interest me on shore, I thought I would sail about a little and see the watery part of the world." Herman Melville : Moby Dick
  • reeferchiefreeferchief Posts: 3,569
    glasshouse wrote:
    erm, i don't mind. you can discuss the greatness of nirvana till you get tongue-tied, i couldn't care less. as long as you know i know they aren't worth it.

Thats cool personal tastes and all.:)

People not liking the music I can appreciate, after all I dont like Oasis or The Beatles and I'm not massively keen on Led Zep although I like a few of their songs, but what I dont do is deny the impact these bands have had on music, The Beatles are the biggest band ever, Led Zep are also one of the greatest with a huge impact on music and Oasis played some of the biggest concerts ever at Knebworth and Loch Lomond in the 90's.
    So I can totally accept and understand people not liking the music or whatever, what gets me is when people start claiming Nirvana were not that big or influential which is absolute bullshit.
    Can not be arsed with life no more.
    Thats cool personal tastes and all.:)

People not liking the music I can appreciate, after all I dont like Oasis or The Beatles and I'm not massively keen on Led Zep although I like a few of their songs, but what I dont do is deny the impact these bands have had on music, The Beatles are the biggest band ever, Led Zep are also one of the greatest with a huge impact on music and Oasis played some of the biggest concerts ever at Knebworth and Loch Lomond in the 90's.
    So I can totally accept and understand people not liking the music or whatever, what gets me is when people start claiming Nirvana were not that big or influential which is absolute bullshit.

i'm with you mate. "opinions are like assholes" definitely ring true. btw i'm with you on the oasis bandwagon - can't stand those britt pussies. i'm sure they stink of dingle berries. but dude, how can you not like the beatles? maybe you should give them another spin. try their 1962-1966 album (red). that shit is special. as for led zep, i can understand that they're not in everyone's taste - i fucking love them though. erm nirvana......nevermind.

"Call me Ishmael. Some years ago- never mind how long precisely- having little or no money in my purse, and nothing particular to interest me on shore, I thought I would sail about a little and see the watery part of the world." Herman Melville : Moby Dick
  • MLC2006 wrote:
    oh, you must've missed the memo. everybody who tries to make a living off being a musician is a "sellout". everybody except Fugazi. that's because Fugazi don't eat, have living expenses, or pay bills. that's how above the fray they are. they don't even charge for tickets to their shows, you just show up and are blown away by their omnipotence. but yeah, Cobain, Stipe, Vedder...they're all sellouts because people have actually heard of them.

Swish.
    Stunned by my own reflection
    It's looking back, sees me too clearly
    And I swore I'd never go there again
    Not unlike a friend that politely drags you down
    MLC2006 wrote:
    oh, you must've missed the memo. everybody who tries to make a living off being a musician is a "sellout". everybody except Fugazi. that's because Fugazi don't eat, have living expenses, or pay bills. that's how above the fray they are. they don't even charge for tickets to their shows, you just show up and are blown away by their omnipotence. but yeah, Cobain, Stipe, Vedder...they're all sellouts because people have actually heard of them.

Fugazi sell records now don't they? i know they do cause i got me some. stop preachin douche dumbass. selling records = sellouts if you want to take this argument down to your level of reasoning.

• catefrancescatefrances Posts: 29,003
    glasshouse wrote:
    Fugazi sell records now don't they? i know they do cause i got me some. stop preachin douche dumbass. selling records = sellouts if you want to take this argument down to your level of reasoning.

calm down. you seem to have missed the massive dose of sarcasm in MLC's post. :)
    hear my name
    take a good look
    this could be the day
    hold my hand
    lie beside me
    i just need to say
    calm down. you seem to have missed the massive dose of sarcasm in MLC's post. :)

oops - guess who feels like an idiot now?

but in my defense, i did not follow the thread, just spot and fire - you know?
    i'm a dumbass like thAt sometimes

• KannKann Posts: 1,146
    I think none of them had as much influence like bands such as the pixies or fugazi.
    Nirvana was great in the sence that it reminded people that everyone could have band, but I'm still skeptic considering their influence musical wise.
    As for SP, you can like their music or not, but I fail to see who they actually influenced (except maybe zwan).
    Kann wrote:
    As for SP, you can like their music or not, but I fail to see who they actually influenced (except maybe zwan).

well, apart from Mr. Corgan's horrid voice the pumpkins pulled off some of the best guitar sound and work on their 90's records of that era.

i'm sure at least their "sound" has been a huge influence in modern rock. i mean a song like 1979 will influence numerous great rock bands yet to come if you ask me, and i'm not even such a huge pumkins fan.

• catefrancescatefrances Posts: 29,003
    glasshouse wrote:
    well, apart from Mr. Corgan's horrid voice the pumpkins pulled off some of the best guitar sound and work on their 90's records of that era.

i'm sure at least their "sound" has been a huge influence in modern rock. i mean a song like 1979 will influence numerous great rock bands yet to come if you ask me, and i'm not even such a huge pumkins fan.

well the silversun pickups seem to be familiar with the smashing pumpkins.
    hear my name
    take a good look
    this could be the day
    hold my hand
    lie beside me
    i just need to say
  • darthvedder88darthvedder88 Posts: 1,023
    well the silversun pickups seem to be familiar with the smashing pumpkins.

I hear that...
    "Darth Vader would say 'Impressive'."

-Eddie Vedder

6/24/06 Cincinatti, Ohio
    6/14/08 Manchester, Tennessee
  • I'll take anybody over Nirvana or as I like to call them "THE SINGLE MOST OVER RATED BAND IN THE HISTORY OF MUSIC"

I agree but over all i would have to say the Who tops all. :D
    "You are a furry thing....you me me you its all related"
  • Strangest TribeStrangest Tribe Posts: 2,502
    Nirvana was a band for intellectuals.

Smashing Pumpkins was a band for weee little girls.
    the Minions
    Nirvana was a band for intellectuals.

:eek: roll over and die