Pumpkins Vs Nirvana

Comments

• normnorm Posts: 31,146
    ive been thinking about this a lot lately. but not nirvana, more what kurt could have done. and not just with music.

i knew i shouldn't have read this thread (you suck; you're an idiot - grow up people) but i wanted to respond to this......i still remember how much kurt wanted to work with michael stipe......i think that would have been a interesting collaboration....:)

and now back to the childishness.....:rolleyes:
  • Gary CarterGary Carter Posts: 14,067
    cutback wrote:

i know all what mlc is saying, i just like to get under peoples skin and whatch how fucking serious people get on the board
    Ron: I just don't feel like going out tonight
    Sammi: Wanna just break up?

• catefrancescatefrances Posts: 29,003
    cutback wrote:
    i knew i shouldn't have read this thread (you suck; you're an idiot - grow up people) but i wanted to respond to this......i still remember how much kurt wanted to work with michael stipe......i think that would have been a interesting collaboration....:)

yeah. and when i listen to the winding sheet and lanegan's singing in the pines and kurt comes in on backing vox my whole spirit is just lifted.

oh michael stipe's a sellout cause he worked with dashboard confessional. ;):p
    hear my name
    take a good look
    this could be the day
    hold my hand
    lie beside me
    i just need to say

thats really fucking sad if stipe did actually work with them

yeah. and when i listen to the winding sheet and lanegan's singing in the pines and kurt comes in on backing vox my whole spirit is just lifted.

i know people hate kurt's voice, but i loved it......so much pain and conflict behind it.....

hehehehehehehe...:D
  • MLC2006MLC2006 Posts: 861

oh, you must've missed the memo. everybody who tries to make a living off being a musician is a "sellout". everybody except Fugazi. that's because Fugazi don't eat, have living expenses, or pay bills. that's how above the fray they are. they don't even charge for tickets to their shows, you just show up and are blown away by their omnipotence. but yeah, Cobain, Stipe, Vedder...they're all sellouts because people have actually heard of them.
  • itsevobabyitsevobaby Posts: 1,809
    ive been thinking about this a lot lately. but not nirvana, more what kurt could have done. and not just with music.
    yeah totally agree. whatever he had of turned his attention to, it would've been alot more creative than anything that dave has done since. oh dave, bless you, but shake it up a bit!!
    Look Alive,
    See These Bones
    itsevobaby wrote:
    yeah totally agree. whatever he had of turned his attention to, it would've been alot more creative than anything that dave has done since. oh dave, bless you, but shake it up a bit!!

well this might interest you...http://forums.pearljam.com/showpost.php?p=4582506&postcount=7....:)
    cutback wrote:

let me in from monster was for kurt. one of the great rem songs in my opinion.
    Look Alive,
    See These Bones
    thats really fucking sad if stipe did actually work with them

why is it? chris carrabba said automatic for the people made an indelible impact on him. so when the opportunity came up michael stipe was only too happy to do something with them.
    hear my name
    take a good look
    this could be the day
    hold my hand
    lie beside me
    i just need to say
    why is it? chris carrabba said automatic for the people made an indelible impact on him. so when the opportunity came up michael stipe was only too happy to do something with them.
    just didnt think that was stipe style. yes i know carrabba is a huge fan of that cd, he used to listen to it on tape back when dc was touring in small vans

itsevobaby wrote:
    let me in from monster was for kurt. one of the great rem songs in my opinion.

yes on both counts....:)
    cutback wrote:
    i hope this is what i've waiting for from the foos, i was promised the best fucken foos album with in your honor, but was let down yet again. don't get me wrong, they've got a solid formula which has led to some great songs, the 1st & 2nd albums were fantastic, but since then it's been more filler than killer for me.
    Look Alive,
    See These Bones
    just didnt think that was stipe style. yes i know carrabba is a huge fan of that cd, he used to listen to it on tape back when dc was touring in small vans

and this is the problem brian. you don't know michael stipe, so whatever style he has is.....what? he's never come across as a rock snob to me. not that i know him you understand. ;):)

what you need to do is get a hold of the bonus DVD that came with DC's scar, mission blah blah album and take a peak.
    hear my name
    take a good look
    this could be the day
    hold my hand
    lie beside me
    i just need to say
  • DaytimeDilemmaDaytimeDilemma Posts: 2,008
    Bleach > Gish

Siamese Dream > Nevermind

Incesticide > PE

Mellon Collie = In Utero. (Both are masterpieces)
    and this is the problem brian. you don't know michael stipe, so whatever style he has is.....what? he's never come across as a rock snob to me. not that i know him you understand. ;):)

what you need to do is get a hold of the bonus DVD that came with DC's scar, mission blah blah album and take a peak.
    well i know he isnt a rock snob, i just dont see him as they type who would do something like that with a band that was really into him.

well i know he isnt a rock snob, i just dont see him as they type who would do something like that with a band that was really into him.

he also did an episode of Sesame Street. and a song with the chick from B52s. and Patti Smith. he has always struck me as a guy who does what he feels like doing rather than worrying about how it is perceived by people who don't know him.
    itsevobaby wrote:
    i hope this is what i've waiting for from the foos, i was promised the best fucken foos album with in your honor, but was let down yet again. don't get me wrong, they've got a solid formula which has led to some great songs, the 1st & 2nd albums were fantastic, but since then it's been more filler than killer for me.

really couldn't have said it better myself.......sorry for the foo talk in your thread...:eek: :p:)
    MLC2006 wrote:
    he also did an episode of Sesame Street. and a song with the chick from B52s. and Patti Smith. he has always struck me as a guy who does what he feels like doing rather than worrying about how it is perceived by people who don't know him.

best. episode of sesame street. ever.

hate the song though. :)

and i do believe doing things you want to do however way you want to do them without regard for others' perceptions is called being punk. :p
    hear my name
    take a good look
    this could be the day
    hold my hand
    lie beside me
    i just need to say
  • markymark550markymark550 Posts: 5,138
    cutback wrote:
    i still remember how much kurt wanted to work with michael stipe......i think that would have been a interesting collaboration....
    I've thought about what would have happened with Nirvana as a group and Kurt as an individual with their music too. Nirvana had maybe one more album in them if they could hold it together as the band was crumbling right before Cobain's death. A Cobain/Stipe collaboration would be very interesting and I've often wondered what would have been produced. Putting two guys that were very much different in a lot of ways, yet similar in some together and there's no telling what the music would sound like, but I bet it would be memorable. After Nirvana, I think Kurt would have gone solo and continued to work with other musicians he admired and respected.
    cutback wrote:
    really couldn't have said it better myself.......sorry for the foo talk in your thread...:eek: :p:)
    no no be my guest! :) besides, i talk so much shit in other peoples threads :D

....i deeply apologise to all those that have had silly comments posted in their threads by myself or as a consequence of my actions. my thoughts are with you & your families....
    Look Alive,
    See These Bones
  • glasshouseglasshouse Posts: 1,762
    i don't like nirvana. maybe i just don't get it. but one thing is for certain - i don't get it.

sure lithium is one super dooper cool song, but uhm, what the fuck is the big deal???????????????????????????????????????????????????????

smashing pumpkins btw, without even thinking about it
    Athens, Greece: 2006/09/30

"Call me Ishmael. Some years ago- never mind how long precisely- having little or no money in my purse, and nothing particular to interest me on shore, I thought I would sail about a little and see the watery part of the world." Herman Melville : Moby Dick
  • pirlo21pirlo21 Posts: 534
    I've given up on all this comparing. It's pretty pointless. Just our own individual opinions.
    But it's still fun !!

SP for me. Although 'Something In The Way' is an astonishing song, in my opinion!
    Cymru Am Byth

PJ albums, at the moment!! -
    1,Vs 2,Vitalogy 3,No Code 4,Yield 5,Ten 6,Backspacer, 7Pearl Jam 8,Binaural 9,Riot Act.
  • Not even close. Cobain isn't fit to kiss Corgan's ass.
    Come on pilgrim you know he loves you..

http://www.wishlistfoundation.org

Oh my, they dropped the leash.

Morgan Freeman/Clint Eastwood 08' for President!

"Make our day"
  • lalalalaaaaaaaalalalalaaaaaaaa Posts: 2,445
    I'd take Corgan over Cobain. It's close, but I think Corgan is a bit more talented with the guitar.

But I don't think Nirvana is overrated. Cobain wrote some great music that has definitely stood the test of time...a lot more than 95% of the other bands that came out during that time.
  • Brisk.Brisk. Posts: 11,557
    MLC2006 wrote:
    T
    if you talk about musicianship, I'll say that SP were better musicians (though Grohl is still a better drummer than Chamberlain).

wait a fucking second

how is Dave Ghrol a better drummer than JIMMY CHAMBERLAIN!!??

what the frig!

nirvana suck okay.. very overrated pumpkins are like a trillion better.. just listen to the dam music!
    I BrisK I wrote:
    wait a fucking second

how is Dave Ghrol a better drummer than JIMMY CHAMBERLAIN!!??

what the frig!

nirvana suck okay.. very overrated pumpkins are like a trillion better.. just listen to the dam music!

I'm not getting into this conversation again. you were 1 year old at the time, so what do you know about who was "overrated"?? without Nirvana, Smashing Pumpkins would have never had an opening into the spotlight.

Grohl is a better drummer than Chamberlain because he just is. Grohl was the best drummer of the entire era and there probably hasn't been a better drummer since.
  • dirtyTdirtyT Posts: 3,620
    Bleech--close
    Siamese Dream---not close
    Incesticide--not close
    Mellon Collie--close
    Cuyahoga Falls 98, Columbus 00, Cleveland 03, Columbus 03, Toledo 04, Grand Rapids 04, Kitchener 05, Cleveland 06, Cincinnati 06, Washington DC 08, Philadelphia IV 09, Columbus 10, Cleveland 10, Chicago 13, Pittsburgh 13, Cincinnati 14, Chicago (1) 16, Chicago (2) 16
  • dirtyTdirtyT Posts: 3,620
    i think everyone needs to hug.
    Cuyahoga Falls 98, Columbus 00, Cleveland 03, Columbus 03, Toledo 04, Grand Rapids 04, Kitchener 05, Cleveland 06, Cincinnati 06, Washington DC 08, Philadelphia IV 09, Columbus 10, Cleveland 10, Chicago 13, Pittsburgh 13, Cincinnati 14, Chicago (1) 16, Chicago (2) 16
  • Brisk.Brisk. Posts: 11,557
    MLC2006 wrote:
    I'm not getting into this conversation again. you were 1 year old at the time, so what do you know about who was "overrated"?? without Nirvana, Smashing Pumpkins would have never had an opening into the spotlight.

Grohl is a better drummer than Chamberlain because he just is. Grohl was the best drummer of the entire era and there probably hasn't been a better drummer since.

Im saying they are overrated today.. and they have always been overrated... why is it april 5th... its all about kurt all over the music channels?? HELLOOO LAYNE STALEY??? I just dont think Nirvana are as good as the other ''grunge'' bands i.e. AIC,SG,MLB,PJ yet they still soo talked about and heard.

okay.. educate me.. how did Nirvana make SP big then? or was it the fact SP just made some totally killer albums ?

Jimmy is way faster and overall way more technically skilled. IM STILL WAITING FOR THE DAY TO SEE DAVE GROHL PLAY JELLYBELLY.

"Chamberlin is widely considered to be a world-class drummer due to his ability to combine complex technical virtuosity with high emotional communication."