the best band since led zeppelin

13»

Comments

• hendrix78 wrote:
    I don't think I can agree that the Mars Volta have or will have the same level of influence as Zeppelin. I think they will always be more underground that that. Their sound simply isn't mainstream enough to reach the number of people that Zep did.

Maybe the Velvet Underground would be a better comparison. You know, the old saying that they didn't sell that many records, but everyone who bought their records started a band.
    yep, you're probably right.
    hendrix78 wrote:
    For the record, I love the Mars Volta and think they may very well be the best band since Zeppelin.
    at least i'm not alone here.
    This isn't the land of opportunity, it's the land of competition.
  • audiodaveaudiodave Posts: 1,623
    hey, i'm sure their first album was a classic and all but i didn't like them then. i only liked them from their out of time album and so on. but yeah definitely rem is a great band... i'm not underestimating them. i was just meaning that if their music just kept sounding like the 80's stuff they wouldn't have made a difference. but all this about rem... it isn't anything near to the lines of the mars volta. it's like comparing led zep to the beatles. totally incomparible... these two were both just as great from one in other, in terms of how they did it... but their music is like comparing apples to oranges. but just as you say don't underestimate rem... well, likewise to you, don't underestimate the mars volta.
    I'm not comparing them, i'm just saying don't underestimate their influence. You can't say what they would have influenced had they not "changed their sound", things like that are impossible to know.

And i'm not underestimating The Mars Volta at all. I've been a huge fan of theirs from the word go, and i've turned people onto their music. I just don't think their music is going to reach the ears of enough people to make them a really big influence. They are never going to be played on most radio channels, and when most people hear something like The Mars Volta, they can't handle it. They dismiss it. They don't want to open their mind to it, and because they don't like the sound of it, because it's an unfamiliar sound to them, they dismiss it as being crap.

On that note, i'm going to listen to De-Loused In The Comatorium.
    ~AKA Dave-of-the-dead~

I don't wanna think, I wanna feel

Dublin 23/08/06 Lisbon I 04/09/06 Lisbon II 05/09/06 Paris 11/09/06 Verona 16/09/06

London 18/06/07 Dusseldorf 21/06/07 Copenhagen 26/06/07 Nijmegen 28/06/07
  • audiodave wrote:
    I'm not comparing them, i'm just saying don't underestimate their influence. You can't say what they would have influenced had they not "changed their sound", things like that are impossible to know.

And i'm not underestimating The Mars Volta at all. I've been a huge fan of theirs from the word go, and i've turned people onto their music. I just don't think their music is going to reach the ears of enough people to make them a really big influence. They are never going to be played on most radio channels, and when most people hear something like The Mars Volta, they can't handle it. They dismiss it. They don't want to open their mind to it, and because they don't like the sound of it, because it's an unfamiliar sound to them, they dismiss it as being crap.

On that note, i'm going to listen to De-Loused In The Comatorium.
    yep, well, they never might be a band as great as led zeppelin... but they definitely are the best since... musically at least.
  • yep, well, they never might be a band as great as led zeppelin... but they definitely are the best since... musically at least.

nah. my vote goes to pearl jam and radiohead.
    2003 Mansfield III 
    2004 Boston I 
    2006 Boston I 
    2008 Bonnaroo, Hartford, Mansfield I 
    2010 Hartford 
    2013 Worcester I, Worcester II, Hartford 
    2016 Bonnaroo, Fenway I, Fenway II 
    2018 Fenway I, Fenway II 
    2021 Sea.Hear.Now
    2022 Camden
    2024 MSG I, Fenway I, Fenway II
  • nah. my vote goes to pearl jam and radiohead.
    are you serious?

radiohead i absolutely love... but just from ok computer and there on. everything before that sucks.

pearljam.... great songs but a lot of shitty ones too.
  • catefrancescatefrances Posts: 29,003
    you're not understanding the mindset dude.... these guys are influencing the kids of today... the 13-24 yo's. and they've got fans from 25-30. but it's the kids are getting influenced by them. in a few years a shitload of bands will try to sound like them. you're missing the whole concept. just like nirvana... they influenced the kids... a generation. oh and i understand led zep... but rem... those guys sucked when they started out. the rem of the 80's didn't become a recognizable band until the rem of the 90's... they were like a completely different band. but about van halen... i guess i don't know too much about them. i never liked them.

you are comparing the possible influence of the mars volta to massive documented influence of nirvana?
    i love the mars volta, but people look at me like im mental for it. of course i got this same look when i mentioned nirvana, but anyway.
    nirvana tapped into something very primal when they exploded. here was a voice, a very vocal voice expressing everything those listening were feeling and wanting to say themselves but felt they couldnt cause they knew no one was listening and no one cared much. it took nirvana to articulate on a mass scale what that generation was going through. the mars volta sound way too discordant a lot of the time. im am not dismissing their musicianship or their talent. they're not radio friendly, nor are they particularly accessible. again i say this not to downplay their talent. maybe the difference is time perspective. i dont know. you said a shitload of band will TRY to sound like them - a generation influenced. i do hope you realise that nirvana's influence was international. it was not retricted to seattle or even the united states. it would give me great pleasure to see the mars volta explode but i just cant see it happening. but hey ill keep listening. :)
    hear my name
    take a good look
    this could be the day
    hold my hand
    lie beside me
    i just need to say
  • you are comparing the possible influence of the mars volta to massive documented influence of nirvana?
    i love the mars volta, but people look at me like im mental for it. of course i got this same look when i mentioned nirvana, but anyway.
    nirvana tapped into something very primal when they exploded. here was a voice, a very vocal voice expressing everything those listening were feeling and wanting to say themselves but felt they couldnt cause they knew no one was listening and no one cared much. it took nirvana to articulate on a mass scale what that generation was going through. the mars volta sound way too discordant a lot of the time. im am not dismissing their musicianship or their talent. they're not radio friendly, nor are they particularly accessible. again i say this not to downplay their talent. maybe the difference is time perspective. i dont know. you said a shitload of band will TRY to sound like them - a generation influenced. i do hope you realise that nirvana's influence was international. it was not retricted to seattle or even the united states. it would give me great pleasure to see the mars volta explode but i just cant see it happening. but hey ill keep listening. :)
    well, whether you see it or not... it's actually happening. a crapload of kids making music today have the mars volta at the top of their lists... when these kids become popular they will sound like them.
    well, whether you see it or not... it's actually happening. a crapload of kids making music today have the mars volta at the top of their lists... when these kids become popular they will sound like them.

and quite possibly be dismissed because of it. :)
    hear my name
    take a good look
    this could be the day
    hold my hand
    lie beside me
    i just need to say
  • and quite possibly be dismissed because of it. :)
    i don't get it... what's the big deal? what's your point?
  • its_okits_ok Posts: 200
    First off all I just wanted to say that TMV is a great band, they're doing some incredible music. But just because they're making music that sounds different doesn't mean that the they're one of the best bands off all time. Music doesn't have to complicated to be good.

And for some reason I get the fealing that deadnothingbetter's great toughts about this band is connected to his brother knowing whatever his name was in the band.
    PJ
    2000 Roskilde, 2006 Barcelona, 2007 London, Copenhagen, 2008 New York 1, New York 2, 2009 Berlin, 2010 Dublin, Belfast, 2012 Amsterdam 1, Stockholm, Oslo, Copenhagen, 2013 Brooklyn 1, Brooklyn 2, Philly 2, 2014 Milan, Trieste, Berlin, Stockholm, Milton Keynes

EV
    2012 Manchester, London 1, London 2
  • its_ok wrote:
    First off all I just wanted to say that TMV is a great band, they're doing some incredible music. But just because they're making music that sounds different doesn't mean that the they're one of the best bands off all time. Music doesn't have to complicated to be good.

And for some reason I get the fealing that deadnothingbetter's great toughts about this band is connected to his brother knowing whatever his name was in the band.
    haha, i was wondering when somebody would mention that. well, i don't care if my cousin knows him or not... for all i care, my cousin's a dick. no j/k... he's the only one i hang out with. and i did hear of tmv from him but i've become a bigger fan of theirs than him. i agree good music doesn't have to be complicated. but it just so happens that their music is great. even led zep's music was kinda "complicated". wouldn't you agree that ok tmv isn't the greatest since zep but would be classified as one of the great rock bands of all time? i definitely believe so... and i bet if vh1 pulls out another 100 greatest hard rock bands of all time in about 10 years or so the mars volta would definitely be on there. when i think of great rock bands... i think of cream, mc5, queen... tmv definitely has a shot at being a tough contender. you guys are not realizing that they are gaining the respect of considerably great talents of today... dave grohl is even a big fan and friend of theirs. zach de la rocha is a big fan of theirs too... probably their biggest. great artists know one when they see one. and fuck all you bitches and hoe's they're fucking badass. you pretentious pricks.

j/k... i like to be a dick sometimes.
  • its_ok wrote:
    whatever his name was in the band.
    oh, it's cedric... the lead singer.
    and quite possibly be dismissed because of it.
    i don't get it... what's the big deal? what's your point?

my point is that when/if these bands make it big sounding like the mars volta, they may be dismissed because they sound like the mars volta and are unoriginal or subpar without their own sound. it's no big deal. im just sharing my thoughts and trying to be diplomatic whilst doing so. understand now? :)
    hear my name
    take a good look
    this could be the day
    hold my hand
    lie beside me
    i just need to say
  • my point is that when/if these bands make it big sounding like the mars volta, they may be dismissed because they sound like the mars volta and are unoriginal or subpar without their own sound. it's no big deal. im just sharing my thoughts and trying to be diplomatic whilst doing so. understand now? :)
    no... me too stupid.
  • my point is that when/if these bands make it big sounding like the mars volta, they may be dismissed because they sound like the mars volta and are unoriginal or subpar without their own sound. it's no big deal. im just sharing my thoughts and trying to be diplomatic whilst doing so. understand now? :)
    no... me too stupid.