the best band since led zeppelin

Comments

• TMV are nothing really like Led Zeppelin beside the fact that Omar writes killer riffs. Led Zeppelin was more poppy in the fact that they wrote more complere songs. TMV are about moments and being experimental and such. They are more akin to Santana than Zeppelin. Also note that Zeppelin is blues based while TMV are more jazz based.
    "for the record, i the original poster, would like to state that i do not believe the mars volta is greater than led zep... nor do i believe that their music is similar to theirs. i'm talking about their influence... what i mean is just like nirvana 'they defined a generation'"
    This isn't the land of opportunity, it's the land of competition.
  • tonadaxtonadax Posts: 594
    i don´t think mars volta have had a better career or musicians than bands like:

alice in chains ´layne,cantrell,starr,kinney´
    soundgarden ´cameron,cornell,sheperd,tahyil´
    metallica ´hetfield,trujillo,ulrich,hammett´
  • tonadax wrote:
    i don´t think mars volta have had a better career than bands like:
    alice in chains
    soundgarden
    nirvana
    STP
    RATM
    QOTSA
    nope, but soon enough they will. their music is much better than all those bands... especially stone temple pilots.
  • Zepp were great, but overrated to fuck.
  • catefrancescatefrances Posts: 29,003
    no way dude. at the drive in was a minature mars volta. their influence isn't near to what mars volta is. just compare their music... literally. stop the cd and switch them over. you'll hear the difference. hell, that's why they got bigger now as mars volta... other than at the drive-in... they were nothing from another linkin park. all the pro's say the same thing about these guys. i know a crap load of musicians who are more into the modern rock stuff... all of them... i mean, all of them hold the mars volta as the band right now to the highest regards. not deftones, ratm, nin, tool or any of those bands hold the energy and high-powered tensions mars volta contains in their music. i might sound kinda absolute here but that's cause i'm listening to them right now. ;)

oh i hear the difference. and im a fan of both atd-i and tmv. ive seen tmv a few times live and yes they are an experience. but they're not everyones experience. some people see them live and wonder what the fuck is going on. i myself have wondered that. but i have since found that if i close my eyes and just drift on the music im fine. actually watching cedric gives me a fucking headache.
    oh and please. atd-i are not like linkin park at all.
    who are all these pros you speak of? cause quite frankly mr shankly the only persons opinion i care about is my own. :)
    hear my name
    take a good look
    this could be the day
    hold my hand
    lie beside me
    i just need to say
  • ZosoZoso Posts: 6,425
    Zepp were great, but overrated to fuck.

how can you say they were great but... ? They either were or they weren't. I haven't seen TMV live before but here a re a few bands that almost compare with Zeppelin since they 'broke up'.

Muse
    Arcade Fire
    I'm just flying around the other side of the world to say I love you

Sha la la la i'm in love with a jersey girl

I love you forever and forever :)

Adel 03 Melb 1 03 LA 2 06 Santa Barbara 06 Gorge 1 06 Gorge 2 06 Adel 1 06 Adel 2 06 Camden 1 08 Camden 2 08 Washington DC 08 Hartford 08
  • intodeepintodeep Posts: 7,228
    tonadax wrote:
    i don´t think mars volta have had a better career or musicians than bands like:

alice in chains ´layne,cantrell,starr,kinney´
    soundgarden ´cameron,cornell,sheperd,tahyil´
    metallica ´hetfield,trujillo,ulrich,hammett´
    Career you are probably right as far as popularity goes, but musician wise i think they are better then all three bands you mentioned above.

those bands may have wrote catchier riffs for radio play but i really believe omar, cedric, and jon theodore when he was with the band are better then any combination above from a strictly musical standpoint.

for the record i love all three of those bands so i'm not downing them just my opinion.
    Charlotte 00
    Charlotte 03
    Asheville 04
    Atlanta 12
    Greenville 16, Columbia 16
    Seattle 18 
    Nashville 22
  • I genuinely believe that Soundgarden is a qualifier here. The 3 album stretch of Badmotorfinger, Superunkown and Down on the Upside is unmatched by any band I have heard. And individually each of the band members consistently rates in the top 50 of their discipline.
  • oh i hear the difference. and im a fan of both atd-i and tmv. ive seen tmv a few times live and yes they are an experience. but they're not everyones experience. some people see them live and wonder what the fuck is going on. i myself have wondered that. but i have since found that if i close my eyes and just drift on the music im fine. actually watching cedric gives me a fucking headache.
    oh and please. atd-i are not like linkin park at all.
    who are all these pros you speak of? cause quite frankly mr shankly the only persons opinion i care about is my own. :)
    put it this way... the mars volta have the capacity of making it into the rock and roll hall of fame... as for at the drive-in, well, they don't.
  • put it this way... the mars volta have the capacity of making it into the rock and roll hall of fame... as for at the drive-in, well, they don't.

a big qualification there though is influence/record sales, neither of which the mars volta have.
    2003 Mansfield III 
    2004 Boston I 
    2006 Boston I 
    2008 Bonnaroo, Hartford, Mansfield I 
    2010 Hartford 
    2013 Worcester I, Worcester II, Hartford 
    2016 Bonnaroo, Fenway I, Fenway II 
    2018 Fenway I, Fenway II 
    2021 Sea.Hear.Now
    2022 Camden
    2024 MSG I, Fenway I, Fenway II
  • a big qualification there though is influence/record sales, neither of which the mars volta have.
    influence.... they already have it.
  • bharQbharQ Posts: 1,201
    i don't know about you guys but i'm going to be honest here. the mars volta is the best fucking band to come along since led zeppelin. nirvana wouldn't hold a light to these guys. these guys are a huge fucking deal... maybe part of it cause my cousin went to high school with cedric... and he still keeps in touch with him through emails. and plan to work together on some art projects but i just got a copy of the amputechture and frances the mute. song after song nothing but fucking rock ecstacy. viva la rock dudes... it's certainly still alive. listen to Tetragrammation off their amputechture... brings back the spirit of Yes from "Heart of the Sunrise" with a culmination of psychedellic stuff(but probably not as great as Heart of the Sunrise... that's song is the shit.. has anyone seen buffalo 66?) anyways... Tetragrammation. great song. great band.

I would say they are the best band since the bands of the early 90s.... I loved at the drive-in when they came out and felt they were really something new and amazing at a time when mainstream music was at it's worst... they of course disbanded, in my mind, way to early while on tour with Rage... who of course also broke up around that time :(... but after seeing Mars Volta live and following their albums I really think they are one of the greatest rock bands of our time. oh yeah and.. Fuck pitchfork.
    09/04/05 - Calgary, AB
    08/02/07 - LOLLA!!!
  • influence.... they already have it.

not in mass amounts. they simply don't. not a knock against the band, but they simply don't have the influence of say, an r.e.m. or a van halen or a led zeppelin. no argument there really.
    2003 Mansfield III 
    2004 Boston I 
    2006 Boston I 
    2010 Hartford 
    2018 Fenway I, Fenway II 
    2021 Sea.Hear.Now
    2022 Camden
  • bharQ wrote:
    I would say they are the best band since the bands of the early 90s.... I loved at the drive-in when they came out and felt they were really something new and amazing at a time when mainstream music was at it's worst... they of course disbanded, in my mind, way to early while on tour with Rage... who of course also broke up around that time :(... but after seeing Mars Volta live and following their albums I really think they are one of the greatest rock bands of our time. oh yeah and.. Fuck pitchfork.
    who's pitchfork?
    not in mass amounts. they simply don't. not a knock against the band, but they simply don't have the influence of say, an r.e.m. or a van halen or a led zeppelin. no argument there really.

well time will tell on that one... they are certainly ahead of their time....they always have been going back all the way to at the drive-in
    09/04/05 - Calgary, AB
    08/02/07 - LOLLA!!!
    i havent listened to amp yet.

i can see minor similarities to led zep, but i dont see the comparison working. Mars Volta is a lot more 'out there' than lz were.

thats the beauty... in 1968 if you seen led zeppelin in a club in london they were very very out there... just like how mars volta is out there for us now!...
    09/04/05 - Calgary, AB
    08/02/07 - LOLLA!!!
    nope, but soon enough they will. their music is much better than all those bands... especially stone temple pilots.

the deleo brothers in stone temple pilots are some of the best song writers and i'd even say most underated songwriters (especially in the early days)... in the WORLD...
    09/04/05 - Calgary, AB
    08/02/07 - LOLLA!!!
    who's pitchfork?

A scenester webmag that bases everything on how indie and different you are.... they hate bands like kings of leon and mars volta but garbage like deerhoof and claps your hands and say yeah get 9 / 10 ratings from them

Consider it a blessing you've never heard of them ;)
    09/04/05 - Calgary, AB
    08/02/07 - LOLLA!!!
  • not in mass amounts. they simply don't. not a knock against the band, but they simply don't have the influence of say, an r.e.m. or a van halen or a led zeppelin. no argument there really.
    you're not understanding the mindset dude.... these guys are influencing the kids of today... the 13-24 yo's. and they've got fans from 25-30. but it's the kids are getting influenced by them. in a few years a shitload of bands will try to sound like them. you're missing the whole concept. just like nirvana... they influenced the kids... a generation. oh and i understand led zep... but rem... those guys sucked when they started out. the rem of the 80's didn't become a recognizable band until the rem of the 90's... they were like a completely different band. but about van halen... i guess i don't know too much about them. i never liked them.
  • bharQ wrote:
    A scenester webmag that bases everything on how indie and different you are.... they hate bands like kings of leon and mars volta but garbage like deerhoof and claps your hands and say yeah get 9 / 10 ratings from them

Consider it a blessing you've never heard of them ;)
    far out dude... i love kings of leon.
    far out dude... i love kings of leon.

their new album is great.... can't wait for lolla!
    09/04/05 - Calgary, AB
    08/02/07 - LOLLA!!!
    It's pretty nice to see fans of Mars Volta around here... usually these threads get hijacked by all the haters... nice to see PJ fans that like mars volta as well
    09/04/05 - Calgary, AB
    08/02/07 - LOLLA!!!
  • bharQ wrote:
    It's pretty nice to see fans of Mars Volta around here... usually these threads get hijacked by all the haters... nice to see PJ fans that like mars volta as well
    likewise yo...
  • you're not understanding the mindset dude.... these guys are influencing the kids of today... the 13-24 yo's. and they've got fans from 25-30. but it's the kids are getting influenced by them. in a few years a shitload of bands will try to sound like them. you're missing the whole concept. just like nirvana... they influenced the kids... a generation. oh and i understand led zep... but rem... those guys sucked when they started out. the rem of the 80's didn't become a recognizable band until the rem of the 90's... they were like a completely different band. but about van halen... i guess i don't know too much about them. i never liked them.

I just think it's a bold statement to say that the mars volta are the influence of a generation in the sense that nirvana was in the 90s. the mars volta doesn't have half of the influence on the "kids" like you say they do. I do like the band, but I could reel off a few bands off the top of my head that have a bigger influence. everywhere you turned in the 1990s it was pearl jam nirvana etc. you sure as hell don't see that with the mars volta. does that mean they suck? no. musically, they're extremely talented (i hate the lead singer's voice, but that's a different story). I just find them to be an underground favorite right now. there's a whole hell of a lot more bands right now that are just as big if not bigger- modest mouse, the shins, etc. To like The Mars Volta is one thing, but to proclaim them the second coming of god, the voice of a generation, and the best thing since zep with soon to be the influence of zep- that's merely opinion and certainly not a fact.
    2003 Mansfield III 
    2004 Boston I 
    2006 Boston I 
    2010 Hartford 
    2018 Fenway I, Fenway II 
    2021 Sea.Hear.Now
    2022 Camden
  • Get_RightGet_Right Posts: 12,845
    Zepp were great, but overrated to fuck.

just plain wrong you are my friend
  • I just think it's a bold statement to say that the mars volta are the influence of a generation in the sense that nirvana was in the 90s. the mars volta doesn't have half of the influence on the "kids" like you say they do. I do like the band, but I could reel off a few bands off the top of my head that have a bigger influence. everywhere you turned in the 1990s it was pearl jam nirvana etc. you sure as hell don't see that with the mars volta. does that mean they suck? no. musically, they're extremely talented (i hate the lead singer's voice, but that's a different story). I just find them to be an underground favorite right now. there's a whole hell of a lot more bands right now that are just as big if not bigger- modest mouse, the shins, etc. To like The Mars Volta is one thing, but to proclaim them the second coming of god, the voice of a generation, and the best thing since zep with soon to be the influence of zep- that's merely opinion and certainly not a fact.
    no... it's a prediction. but all the kids here in austin (which happens to be the live music of the world) are following the steps of the volta... the shins and modest mouse... although good to me, are not liked by the kids playing music today. one thing is a fact, you have no idea how much influence this band has on a lot of kids already. in my humble opinion, i don't even think pearl jam would've made it if it weren't for nirvana.

oh and by the way... the mars volta are already "gods" (although I don't like to use that term becuase of my personal beliefs) in mexico.
  • intodeepintodeep Posts: 7,228
    I actually think their influence may be better compared to pink floyd.

Just my opinion.
    Charlotte 00
    Charlotte 03
    Asheville 04
    Atlanta 12
    Greenville 16, Columbia 16
    Seattle 18 
    Nashville 22
  • audiodaveaudiodave Posts: 1,623
    but rem... those guys sucked when they started out. the rem of the 80's didn't become a recognizable band until the rem of the 90's... they were like a completely different band.
    Don't underestimate the influence of REM. I believe in their recent induction into the rock and roll hall of fame, Eddie told how he listened to their first record, which was released in 1983, over and over for an entire summer. He was clearly influenced by the REM of the 80's, as were many, many other people.
    ~AKA Dave-of-the-dead~

I don't wanna think, I wanna feel

Dublin 23/08/06 Lisbon I 04/09/06 Lisbon II 05/09/06 Paris 11/09/06 Verona 16/09/06

London 18/06/07 Dusseldorf 21/06/07 Copenhagen 26/06/07 Nijmegen 28/06/07
  • audiodave wrote:
    Don't underestimate the influence of REM. I believe in their recent induction into the rock and roll hall of fame, Eddie told how he listened to their first record, which was released in 1983, over and over for an entire summer. He was clearly influenced by the REM of the 80's, as were many, many other people.
    hey, i'm sure their first album was a classic and all but i didn't like them then. i only liked them from their out of time album and so on. but yeah definitely rem is a great band... i'm not underestimating them. i was just meaning that if their music just kept sounding like the 80's stuff they wouldn't have made a difference. but all this about rem... it isn't anything near to the lines of the mars volta. it's like comparing led zep to the beatles. totally incomparible... these two were both just as great from one in other, in terms of how they did it... but their music is like comparing apples to oranges. but just as you say don't underestimate rem... well, likewise to you, don't underestimate the mars volta.
  • hendrix78hendrix78 Posts: 507
    I don't think I can agree that the Mars Volta have or will have the same level of influence as Zeppelin. I think they will always be more underground that that. Their sound simply isn't mainstream enough to reach the number of people that Zep did.

Maybe the Velvet Underground would be a better comparison. You know, the old saying that they didn't sell that many records, but everyone who bought their records started a band.

For the record, I love the Mars Volta and think they may very well be the best band since Zeppelin.