Eighties songs you still love, in spite of their horrible, synthy production

124»

Comments

• spongersponger Posts: 3,159
    The Power Station Some Like It Hot

I don't know if it's "synthy", but it's definitely 80's.
  • LongRhodeLongRhode Posts: 93
    Simple Minds - Someone Somewhere In Summertime
    The Fixx - Reach The Beach
    Shriekback - Underwaterboys
    Flock Of Seagulls - Wishing (If I Had a Photograph of You)
    Marrillion - Freaks
    Gary Numan - Down In The Park
    Freur - Doot Doot
    Strange Advance - Worlds Away
    1991 - Warwick RI
    1994 - Boston Garden 1
    2003 - Mansfield 1
    2004 - Boston 1 & 2
    2006 - Albany, Boston 1, Dublin Ireland
    2008 - Mansfield 1 & 2, EV Boston 1
  • South of SeattleSouth of Seattle Posts: 10,724
    Duran Duran - Hungry Like the Wolf

Soft Cell - Tainted Love

The Cars - Shake it Up

Oingo Boingo - Dead Man's Party

A Flock of Seagulls - I Ran

Pet Shop Boys - West End Girls
    NERDS!
  • AnonAnon Posts: 11,175
    i actually really love old Gary Numan and the Tubeway Army. some of the songs on The Pleasure Princible don't even sound human.

The Cars' first record (The Cars) has one of the finest side b's in the history of rock, hands down.

what about The Hooters?? their record, Nervous Night has one of the shittiest side B's in the history of rock..even though side A is pretty awesome (Don't Take My Car Out Tonight is amazing!).

i dig some old school Duran Duran. Night Boat is killer.
  • DeLukinDeLukin Posts: 2,757
    Journey's Separate Ways
    I smile, but who am I kidding...
  • libragirllibragirl Posts: 4,632
    I like a lot of 80's bands and songs...bad synthy and all..I don't care!

:p
    These cuts are leaving creases. Trace the scars to fit the pieces, to tell the story, you don't need to say a word.
  • curmudgeonesscurmudgeoness Posts: 3,987
    DocChicago wrote:
    Icehouse - Crazy
    The Church - Under the Milky Way

As a long time, psychotic fan of the Church, I beg to disagree. That is not a synthy song. Those are guitars you are hearing.
    All those who seek to destroy the liberties of a democratic nation ought to know that war is the surest and shortest means to accomplish it.
  • curmudgeonesscurmudgeoness Posts: 3,987
    I don't know that I can add anything new here.

"Tainted Love" -- great, great song

The Style Council's "Cafe Bleu" remains one of my favorite albums, ever.

The Cars -- possibly the worst live band ever, yet I loved them, especially the first three albums. Ben Orr had such a sexy voice.

Women with great voices: Annie Lennox, Allison Moyet, Tracey Thorne (Everything But the Girl). I just loved Yaz and EBTG, still enjoy hearing them.

I still like Midge Ure/Ultravox.

The Smiths' "How Soon is Now?" -- great.

I am a long-time fan of Lloyd Cole. The Commotions were not especially synthy, in my opinion. Great stuff. :-)

I spent much of the 80s and 90s lost in the psychotropic musings and noodlings of the Church, though.
    All those who seek to destroy the liberties of a democratic nation ought to know that war is the surest and shortest means to accomplish it.
  • Pretty much anything by Echo and The Bunnymen
    "I feel the same way about disco as I do about herpes." - Dr. Hunter S. Thompson, 1977
  • muppetmuppet Posts: 980
    Born In The USA by Bruce Springsteen is almost unbearable, but the songwriting brings it through.

Lucky Town and Human Touch are terrible though. I know they were made in the 90s, but I see them like some sort of bad hangover from the 80s.
  • DocChicagoDocChicago Posts: 653
    As a long time, psychotic fan of the Church, I beg to disagree. That is not a synthy song. Those are guitars you are hearing.
    technically you are correct. shall we strike all the 80s songs from the list that are not synthy enough, or shall we go on enjoying the memories?
    by the way, i like the song. it just evokes the 80s for me.
    It is time to admit that we used to rock like hurricanes. It is time to run for the hills and go round and round. It is time for us to shout at the devil. We've got the right to choose it, there ain't no way we'll lose it, and we're not gonna take it anymore.
    - C. Klosterman
  • AnonAnon Posts: 11,175
    muppet wrote:
    Lucky Town and Human Touch are terrible though. I know they were made in the 90s, but I see them like some sort of bad hangover from the 80s.
    agreed.
  • Jeremy1012Jeremy1012 Posts: 7,170
    muppet wrote:
    Born In The USA by Bruce Springsteen is almost unbearable, but the songwriting brings it through.
    Some of the only tolerable synth sounds in 80s mainstream music in my opinion. I'm On Fire is particularly subtle, given the era.
    "I remember one night at Muzdalifa with nothing but the sky overhead, I lay awake amid sleeping Muslim brothers and I learned that pilgrims from every land — every colour, and class, and rank; high officials and the beggar alike — all snored in the same language"