"Meh" bands and artists

FinsburyParkCarrotsFinsburyParkCarrots Posts: 12,223
edited May 2008 in Other Music
THIS IS NOT A THREAD ABOUT BANDS AND ARTISTS YOU HATE.

Shouting over, this is a thread about bands and artists who everyone thinks is great but you find bland, insipid, dull and uninspiring. That is, they're not bad enough to hate, but they do nothing for you.

I'll start. Sigur Ros. Yes, we get the idea. It starts off soft, then it gets loud. So what?

Next.
Post edited by Unknown User on

Comments

• dunkmandunkman Posts: 19,646
    Tool.

it starts off like a flaccid willy and then just never rises.
    oh scary... 40000 morbidly obese christians wearing fanny packs invading europe is probably the least scariest thing since I watched an edited version of The Care Bears movie in an extremely brightly lit cinema.
  • normnorm Posts: 31,146
    radiohead
  • White Stripes. Some good songs, but nothing awe-inspiring.
    Smokey Robinson constantly looks like he's trying to act natural after being accused of farting.
  • Strangest TribeStrangest Tribe Posts: 2,502
    all Rap, Hip-hop, and whatever the kids are listening to when they drive by with their stereos bass going "BOOM" "BOOM" "BOOM"
    the Minions
  • AzwethinkweizAzwethinkweiz Posts: 547
    cutback wrote:
    radiohead

+1
  • oldermanolderman Posts: 1,765
    all Rap, Hip-hop, and whatever the kids are listening to when they drive by with their stereos bass going "BOOM" "BOOM" "BOOM"

agree with this one. with the passenger side window down, a youngster pulled up next to me at a stop light and all i could hear was somesuch

".. i gonna slap that bitch like the bitch that she is.. " (and it wasn't an endearment)

repeated 3 or 4 times and then the light turned green..

fuck me runnin' .. whatever happened to sweet soul music?
    Down the street you can hear her scream youre a disgrace
    As she slams the door in his drunken face
    And now he stands outside
    And all the neighbours start to gossip and drool
    He cries oh, girl you must be mad,
    What happened to the sweet love you and me had?
    Against the door he leans and starts a scene,
    And his tears fall and burn the garden green
  • intodeepintodeep Posts: 7,228
    spoon

its okay not bad but does not do really much for me
    Charlotte 00
    Charlotte 03
    Asheville 04
    Atlanta 12
    Greenville 16, Columbia 16
    Seattle 18 
    Nashville 22
  • facepollutionfacepollution Posts: 6,834
    The Strokes.
  • transplanttransplant Posts: 1,088
    Pavement.
  • PaukPauk Posts: 1,084
    Muse and REM
    Paul
    '06 - London, Dublin, Reading
    '07 - Katowice, Wembley, Dusseldorf, Copenhagen, Nijmegen
    '09 - London, Manchester, London
    '12 - Manchester, Manchester, Berlin, Stockholm, Copenhagen
  • PearlJamaholicPearlJamaholic Posts: 2,018
    jeff buckley and radiohead. music id think id really like but just doesnt do it for me.
  • PJBlissPJBliss Posts: 47

I'll start. Sigur Ros. Yes, we get the idea. It starts off soft, then it gets loud. So what?

Next.

At least give Sigur Ros some credit for being pretty innovative. There probably isn't any other band that invokes as much emotion from me. I respect that you don't like them, but Sigur Ros is a lot more than "starts off soft, then it gets loud"
  • gtrplyrgtrplyr Posts: 115
    PJBliss wrote:
    At least give Sigur Ros some credit for being pretty innovative. There probably isn't any other band that invokes as much emotion from me. I respect that you don't like them, but Sigur Ros is a lot more than "starts off soft, then it gets loud"

Agreed 100%

If thats all someone is getting out of Sigur Ros, they aren't listening.
  • Lukin66Lukin66 Posts: 3,063
    pearl jam

;)....just kidding
    deep, deep blue of the morning
    gets to me every time
  • Grunge100Grunge100 Posts: 178
    cutback wrote:
    radiohead
    +2
    Light green to green, dark green, brown..
    Every life is falling down
    Brown to black, it's coming back
    Dies to be part of the ground
    Seed to seedling, root to stem
  • gtrplyrgtrplyr Posts: 115
    Coldplay
  • ClaudiaClaudia Posts: 398
    Soundgarden
  • 12345AGNST112345AGNST1 Posts: 4,906
    Claudia wrote:
    Soundgarden

you are simply wrong.
    5/28/06, 6/27/08, 10/28/09, 5/18/10, 5/21/10
    8/7/08, 6/9/09
  • NevermindNevermind Posts: 1,006
    Nine Inch Nails
  • gtrplyr wrote:
    Agreed 100%

If thats all someone is getting out of Sigur Ros, they aren't listening.

It's muzak for hipsters. Chas and Dave have more musicological savvy and lyrical substance.
  • DiRtyFranK38DiRtyFranK38 Posts: 3,131
    Claudia wrote:
    Soundgarden

=0 !!!!!!

kill me, but i say the doors .. i think they just aren't my taste
    2006: Hartford
    2008: MSG 1, Hartford, Mansfield 2, Ed Solo NYC 1
    2009: London (O2), Philly 1, 2, 3, & 4
    2010: Hartford, Boston, MSG 1 & 2
    2011: Ed Solo Hartford
    2012: Philly (MIA Fest)
    2013: Worcester 2, Brooklyn 1 & 2, Hartford
  • It's muzak for hipsters. Chas and Dave have more musicological savvy and lyrical substance.

You can't say that - he sings in his own made-up language. It could be Shakespearean for all we know. ;)
    Smokey Robinson constantly looks like he's trying to act natural after being accused of farting.
  • You can't say that - he sings in his own made-up language. It could be Shakespearean for all we know. ;)

Who, Chas, or Dave? :D
  • Who, Chas, or Dave? :D

:D

They sing in a strange language, devoid of the letter "H". :p
  • :D

They sing in a strange language, devoid of the letter "H". :p

They say "Wabbit" too, Elmer Fudd style.

Anyway, back on topic. ;)
  • jamie ukjamie uk Posts: 3,812
    Yeah, Sigar Ros
    :o I got a cd of theirs cos so mant people here loved them, I have to say I lasted 3 songs and never went back. I's like, that's ok, but why the choir boy with his nuts in a vice like grip? Cold it sure left me.

Snow patrol.
    Like a musical equivalent of the saucey seaside postcard, at one time yeah maybe it was passable, I mean it would never have been revered, never deemed great but it would have had a certain basic charm at some point in history.... but surely not these days. Surely they, and everyone else should realise that, it's just not worth the effort.

btw, I love Chas and Dave :D
    I came, I saw, I concurred.....
  • jamie uk wrote:
    Yeah, Sigar Ros
    :o I got a cd of theirs cos so mant people here loved them, I have to say I lasted 3 songs and never went back. I's like, that's ok, but why the choir boy with his nuts in a vice like grip? Cold it sure left me.

Snow patrol.
    Like a musical equivalent of the saucey seaside postcard, at one time yeah maybe it was passable, I mean it would never have been revered, never deemed great but it would have had a certain basic charm at some point in history.... but surely not these days. Surely they, and everyone else should realise that, it's just not worth the effort.

btw, I love Chas and Dave :D

Snow Patrol made a personal enemy of me from the time Run was a huge hit, right through to Chasing Cars being all over the TV. Blandness, taken to a whole new extreme. Is extreme blandness an oxymoron?
  • jamie ukjamie uk Posts: 3,812
    Is extreme blandness an oxymoron?

I'm not sure, but Snow Patrol are spectacularly average.
    I came, I saw, I concurred.....
  • jamie uk wrote:
    I'm not sure, but Snow Patrol are spectacularly average.

If they seemed like they were enjoying themselves, it'd be okay, but they seem to find their music as boring as everyone else. :o
  • facepollutionfacepollution Posts: 6,834
    Snow Patrol made a personal enemy of me from the time Run was a huge hit, right through to Chasing Cars being all over the TV. Blandness, taken to a whole new extreme. Is extreme blandness an oxymoron?

YES YES YES! Music for family bbq's!