Will there ever be another Biggest Band in the World?

Comments

• OdinOdin Posts: 599
    Jeremy1012 wrote:
    You'll understand if I don't stay out of every thread you are in just because I wasn't born early enough though.

It's one thing to post your opinions on an album that was released before your time; it's another to state adamantly that Metallica wasn't quite as popular as Nirvana when you didn't have a chance to experience either band at the height of their popularity.
    There are no such rules on this site and, after all, not being old enough to have experience the music scene at the time, I am unbiased and, I would argue, have provided a valuable insight into the LASTING effects of both Nirvana and Metallica without having any kind of "I was a metallica fan at the time and they were the biggest" bias. All I have said through this thread is that, far from me caring about which was bigger, it is totally obvious to me that Nirvana are the band that have had the biggest impact on the world, regardless of record sales

We are not debating lasting effects. At least I wasn't. This is a topic about the world's most popular band during a particular period in music history.
    and I am pretty sure that this was the case in 1991, as many posters here who were listening to the bands at the time have agreed.

And many have DISAGREED, on this BBS and elsewhere. You simply cannot put Nirvana in the same class as The Beatles and Elvis with regards to their worldwide popularity relative to their contemporaries. That is the point that I have been trying to make all along.
    Sorry that you don't think my opinions are up to much but hey, we can't please everyone. As for going at you at any given chance, I wasn't the person who started the aggressive responses in this thread.

But anyway, nevermind. There's no point in arguing any further because it's just stupid.

Thank you, and good riddance! Your withdrawal from this discussion will leave more room for people who would rather discuss the issue at hand than launch personal vendettas against other users.
  • Odin wrote:
    Thank you, and good riddance! Your withdrawal from this discussion will leave more room for people who would rather discuss the issue at hand than launch his personal vendetta against other users.

Mr Pot: "Hey, there, Mr. Kettle. Looking very black today."
    Smokey Robinson constantly looks like he's trying to act natural after being accused of farting.
  • g under pg under p Posts: 18,184
    Odin wrote:
    Actually, Get_Right, I'll be overseas all summer and unfortunately none of Metallica's European dates coincide with my personal itinerary.

And if that punk-ass bitch Jeremy1012 wants to talk shit, he can do it to my 6'3, 225-lb self next month because I will be in his hometown for a few days. We'll see how insulting he is to me when faced with the threat of being knocked the fuck out and pummeled to the ground!!!!!!!!!!

On the computer we are ALL big fierce people cause nobody would suspect that I'm a black guy 6-1 255 lbs!....And I truly am in my 40's too!

Peace everybody
    *We CAN bomb the World to pieces, but we CAN'T bomb it into PEACE*...Michael Franti

*MUSIC IS the expression of EMOTION.....and that POLITICS IS merely the DECOY of PERCEPTION*
    .....song_Music & Politics....Michael Franti

*The scientists of today think deeply instead of clearly. One must be sane to think clearly, but one can think deeply and be quite INSANE*....Nikola Tesla(a man who shaped our world of electricity with his futuristic inventions)

g under p wrote:
    On the computer we are ALL big fierce people cause nobody would suspect that I'm a black guy 6-1 255 lbs!....And I truly am in my 40's too!

Peace everybody

I brought that up because nobody in real life dares to say the type of things that are said to me here and on other online communities......because there would be consequences if someone were to call me an "unintelligent prick" to my face.
  • Odin wrote:
    I brought that up because nobody in real life dares to say the type of things that are said to me here and on other online communities......because there would be consequences if someone were to call me an "unintelligent prick" to my face.

So why not try bullying teenagers in real life, if it's so much more satisfying? If you can't argue your points without intimidating people, it's not much of an argument in the first place.
    Smokey Robinson constantly looks like he's trying to act natural after being accused of farting.
  • MLC2006MLC2006 Posts: 861
    I do think some are underrating the level of Nirvana's popularity. yes, they may have obtained "legendary" status when Cobain killed himself. but they WERE a hugely popular band when he was alive, about equal to Metallica, and more popular than the other "grunge" bands. Nirvana, and PJ to a much lesser extent, even had "fan magazines" that were being printed only about them. I distinctly remember this because I actually had a couple of those magazines at some point. when Cobain, Vedder, and Stone Gossard got haircuts it MADE THE NEWS, at least the entertainment news. when Cobain had a near overdose in Rome, it was HUGE news. so it is completely false to say that Nirvana only got a big level of success after he died.

now, I also think Nirvana too often gets sole credit of killing "hair metal" and that's not completely true either. people were already getting tired of hair metal. between 88-90, Metallica and GnR were seen in stark contrast to hair metal. also around 88-89, Aerosmith released their big comeback album, "Pump". then, around 90-91, AC/DC released their big comeback album "Razor's Edge". the Aerosmith and AC/DC albums, coupled with GnR's success and Metallica's somewhat massive underground appeal spelled a return to more 'normal' rock and away from the hairspray and makeup...all these things were the first nails in the hair metal coffin. Nirvana was the final nail
    So why not try bullying teenagers in real life, if it's so much more satisfying? If you can't argue your points without intimidating people, it's not much of an argument in the first place.

Our debate escalated to the point of hurling insults. I was simply fighting fire with fire last evening.
  • Odin wrote:
    Our debate escalated to the point of hurling insults. I was simply fighting fire with fire last evening.

Right. More like Jeremy waving a lighter around, and you exploding a methane gas tank. And as for the "me big man, me hurt small boy" act...:rolleyes:
    MLC2006 wrote:
    I do think some are underrating the level of Nirvana's popularity. yes, they may have obtained "legendary" status when Cobain killed himself. but they WERE a hugely popular band when he was alive, about equal to Metallica, and more popular than the other "grunge" bands.

I never once disputed the fact that Nirvana was very popular, even before Cobain's death. Still, they never held the title of "world's most popular band" long enough to be considered in this discussion.
    Nirvana, and PJ to a much lesser extent, even had "fan magazines" that were being printed only about them.

.....as did many heavy metal bands of the late-1980s and early-1990s. Some of those bands, which faded into obscurity during the 1990s, even had trading cards devoted to them. I know because I used to collect them as a kid.
    when Cobain, Vedder, and Stone Gossard got haircuts it MADE THE NEWS, at least the entertainment news. when Cobain had a near overdose in Rome, it was HUGE news. so it is completely false to say that Nirvana only got a big level of success after he died.

When Tommy Lee took a shit, it made the news. Nikki Sixx was interviewed several times on Jim Rome's SPORTS program. Does that mean that Motley Crue, which indeed were a popular band, were Beatle-like icons worldwide?
    now, I also think Nirvana too often gets sole credit of killing "hair metal" and that's not completely true either. people were already getting tired of hair metal. between 88-90, Metallica and GnR were seen in stark contrast to hair metal. also around 88-89, Aerosmith released their big comeback album, "Pump". then, around 90-91, AC/DC released their big comeback album "Razor's Edge". the Aerosmith and AC/DC albums, coupled with GnR's success and Metallica's somewhat massive underground appeal spelled a return to more 'normal' rock and away from the hairspray and makeup

That part I will agree with.
  • Odin wrote:
    Actually, Get_Right, I'll be overseas all summer and unfortunately none of Metallica's European dates coincide with my personal itinerary.

And if that punk-ass bitch Jeremy1012 wants to talk shit, he can do it to my 6'3, 225-lb self next month because I will be in his hometown for a few days. We'll see how insulting he is to me when faced with the threat of being knocked the fuck out and pummeled to the ground!!!!!!!!!!

I'm still laughing at this post. It's like a 6'3, 225-lb baby throwing a tantrum.:D
  • I think the perceived death of hair metal was largely due to the subtle influence of bands that you don't actually hear anything about anymore but who used to be on MTV on heavy rotation, such as Helmet. They were obvious crossover bands who would be played not only on Headbangers Ball but on 120 Minutes. I can't remember if they were any good or not, but I remember a lot of old metallers buying their albums and getting haircuts, all of a sudden. I suppose this proves the wisdom that seismic shifts in musical culture don't happen with The Biggest Band in the World.
  • I think the perceived death of hair metal was largely due to the subtle influence of bands that you don't actually hear anything about anymore but who used to be on MTV on heavy rotation, such as Helmet. They were obvious crossover bands who would be played not only on Headbangers Ball but on 120 Minutes. I can't remember if they were any good or not, but I remember a lot of old metallers buying their albums and getting haircuts, all of a sudden. I suppose this proves the wisdom that seismic shifts in musical culture don't happen with The Biggest Band in the World.

Yep. I often think that as soon as someone dubs a band 'the Biggest Band in the World' they've missed the boat. Many bands are called so because they once changed the musical climate, when they were smaller and musically groundbreaking.
    'We're learning songs for baby Jesus' birthday. His mum and dad were Merry and Joseph. He had a bed made of clay and the three kings bought him Gold, Frankenstein and Merv as presents.'

- the great Sir Leo Harrison
  • Odin wrote:
    If that punk-ass bitch Jeremy1012 wants to talk shit, he can do it to my 6'3, 225-lb self

If this were the "wrestling pit" this might matter, but alas it is not. All we have are our brains to solve disputes......sigh.
    I'm still laughing at this post. It's like a 6'3, 225-lb baby throwing a tantrum.:D

Maybe to you it is.........but that's how we get down on our side of the pond.
  • Odin wrote:

Dude, you sound like a fucking cartoon.. quit while you're behind.
    'We're learning songs for baby Jesus' birthday. His mum and dad were Merry and Joseph. He had a bed made of clay and the three kings bought him Gold, Frankenstein and Merv as presents.'

If this were the "wrestling pit" this might matter, but alas it is not. All we have are our brains to solve disputes......sigh.

That's not the point. I would never challenge anyone to a fight over a respectful debate. But when someone starts throwing personal attacks, the gloves are off.
  • Odin wrote:
    But when someone starts throwing personal attacks, the gloves are off.

Ladies and gentlemen, welcome to 'Spot the Irony'.

Dude, you sound like a fucking cartoon.. quit while you're behind.

It has been a while since I've heard from you. Are you still in your sad emo state over your wife ditching you for a real man?
  • Odin wrote:
    It has been a while since I've heard from you. Are you still in your sad emo state over your wife ditching you for a real man?

I find it laughable you haven't been banned yet. Perhaps the greatest oversight the mods have ever made.

• Odin wrote:

But you're threatening to do it on this side of the pond. And that's not "how we get down". Really, I'm loving watching you dig this hole for yourself - acting like a macho lunatic, swearing at and threatening a 19 year old kid, and insulting a man over going through a divorce. All the while, oblivious to the fact that we're all just laughing at the pathetic little show you're putting on.
    I find it laughable you haven't been banned yet. Perhaps the greatest oversight the mods have ever made.

So what are you going to do? Snitch on me to the mods like you, or someone else in the AET section, did before I got suspended?
  • Jeremy1012Jeremy1012 Posts: 7,170
    Odin wrote:
    You're a real piece of work, you know that?
    "I remember one night at Muzdalifa with nothing but the sky overhead, I lay awake amid sleeping Muslim brothers and I learned that pilgrims from every land — every colour, and class, and rank; high officials and the beggar alike — all snored in the same language"
  • Odin wrote:
    So what are you going to do? Snitch on me to the mods like you, or someone else in the AET section, did before I got suspended?

When the lifetime ban arrives I won't need to read your hatemail again.

Odin wrote:
    You know, any number of people here would be glad to see you go. What makes you think it was HLF?
    "I remember one night at Muzdalifa with nothing but the sky overhead, I lay awake amid sleeping Muslim brothers and I learned that pilgrims from every land — every colour, and class, and rank; high officials and the beggar alike — all snored in the same language"
    But you're threatening to do it on this side of the pond. And that's not how "how we get down". Really, I'm loving watching you dig this hole for yourself - acting like a macho lunatic, swearing at and threatening a 19 year old kid, and insulting a man over going through a divorce. All the while, oblivious to the fact that we're all just laughing at the pathetic little show you're putting on.

Good for you. I'm glad that you are entertained because, quite frankly, your posts have been boring the shit out of me. Pretty sad, I must say, considering that you are the only BBS member who ever posted a signature-worthy response.
    Jeremy1012 wrote:
    You know, any number of people here would be glad to see you go. What makes you think it was HLF?

I guess you missed the "or someone else in the AET section" part. Reading comprehension isn't your strong point, I reckon.
  • Odin wrote:
    Good for you. I'm glad that you are entertained because, quite frankly, your posts have been boring the shit out of me. Pretty sad, I must say, considering that you are the only BBS member who posted a signature-worthy response.

If your idea of a good post goes as far as "swears and threats", then I'm glad you're not enjoying my posts, cos I'd like to think I'm a little too mature for that. The only reason you're enjoying these posts any less than the one you quoted for your sig is because I'm tearing you down instead of someone else.
    Odin wrote:
    Good for you. I'm glad that you are entertained because, quite frankly, your posts have been boring the shit out of me. Pretty sad, I must say, considering that you are the only BBS member who posted a signature-worthy response.
    If it's so boring, why are you still here?
    The only reason you're enjoying these posts any less than the one you quoted for your sig is because I'm tearing you down instead of someone else.

No, it's because you actually made a valid point about music......something you haven't done recently.
    Jeremy1012 wrote:
    If it's so boring, why are you still here?

Because I am not going to retreat in the middle of a debate in which I am a participant.