Will there ever be another Biggest Band in the World?

Comments

• OdinOdin Posts: 599
    Time to interject my own ad hominem attack, which is more relevant to the discussion at hand than any of Jeremy's:

Jeremy1012

Date of Birth:
    October 8, 1988

You weren't even in kindergarten when Nevermind was released, so how the fuck are YOU able to determine Nirvana's popularity relative to Metallica's in 1991-92? You were in diapers, junior!

HAHAHAHAHAHAHAHA, what a fag! You had BETTER use sales numbers to defend your position because any anecdotal evidence that you provide henceforth will be rendered null-and-void due to your age.
  • Odin wrote:
    HAHAHAHAHAHAHAHA, what a fag!

Really? This is how you argue?
    Smokey Robinson constantly looks like he's trying to act natural after being accused of farting.
  • Jeremy1012Jeremy1012 Posts: 7,170
    Odin wrote:
    Time to interject my own ad hominem attack, which is more relevant to the discussion at hand than any of Jeremy's:

Jeremy1012

Date of Birth:
    October 8, 1988

You weren't even in kindergarten when Nevermind was released, so how the fuck are YOU able to determine Nirvana's popularity relative to Metallica's in 1991-92? You were in diapers, junior!

HAHAHAHAHAHAHAHA, what a fag!
    You're a fucking moron. See Rhinoceros Surprise for details. Seems like your idiotic, patronising ass needs to grow out of diapers still. I assume you have no thoughts on ANY subjects before your time? Oh and also, the homophobic slurs? good call Odin. You're looking real cool now.
    "I remember one night at Muzdalifa with nothing but the sky overhead, I lay awake amid sleeping Muslim brothers and I learned that pilgrims from every land — every colour, and class, and rank; high officials and the beggar alike — all snored in the same language"
    Jeremy1012 wrote:
    I assume you have no thoughts on ANY subjects before your time?

I am not "moronic" enough to gauge, say, the popularity of Ronald Reagan during his tenure as U.S. President because I was, at the time, the same age as you when Metallica and Nirvana were at their respective primes; it would be foolish for me to do so.....unless I were to provide second-hand accounts (e.g., public opinion polls from the time). You have provided NOTHING of the sort to support your opinion that Nirvana was more popular than Metallica at the beginning of the 1990s.
  • Odin wrote:
    I am not "moronic" enough to gauge, say, the popularity of Ronald Reagan during his tenure as U.S. President because I was, at the time, the same age as you when Metallica and Nirvana were at their respective primes; it would be foolish for me to do so.....unless I were to provide some first-hand accounts from external sources (e.g., public opinion polls from the time). You have provided NOTHING of the sort to support your opinion that Nirvana was more popular than Metallica at the beginning of the 1990s.

And you've provided sales statistics - without any links for validity, as far as I could tell - and offensive tirades... Go Odin!
    Smokey Robinson constantly looks like he's trying to act natural after being accused of farting.
    Odin wrote:
    I am not "moronic" enough to gauge, say, the popularity of Ronald Reagan during his tenure because I was, at the time, the same age as you when Metallica and Nirvana were at their respective primes; it would be foolish for me to do so.....unless I were to provide some first-hand accounts from external sources (e.g., public opinion polls from the time). You have provided NOTHING of the sort to support your opinion that Nirvana was more popular than Metallica.
    I could quite easily provide you with said information if I cared to do so. As it stands, I think the general concensus from everyone is that you are wrong and I am therefore not required to do so. I never once imagined that I would need to provide such sources since I never imagined I'd chance upon such an obstinately blinkered person in this thread.

Oh, and nice work on being a 30 year-old (I am assuming from the Reagan comment) who attempts to assert his presence in a thread by saying "blow it out your ass, motherfucker". So long as we're mocking over age issues here, let's show up the 30 year-old 'tallica fan who still thinks that it's cool to talk like Beavis and Butthead.
    "I remember one night at Muzdalifa with nothing but the sky overhead, I lay awake amid sleeping Muslim brothers and I learned that pilgrims from every land — every colour, and class, and rank; high officials and the beggar alike — all snored in the same language"
    And you've provided sales statistics - without any links for validity, as far as I could tell - and offensive tirades... Go Odin!

Re-read the discussion. I've provided more links than anyone else combined.
    Jeremy1012 wrote:
    I could quite easily provide you with said information if I cared to do so. As it stands, I think the general concensus from everyone is that you are wrong and I am therefore not required to do so. I never once imagined that I would need to provide such sources since I never imagined I'd chance upon such an obstinately blinkered person in this thread.

Oh, and nice work on being a 30 year-old (I am assuming from the Reagan comment) who attempts to assert his presence in a thread by saying "blow it out your ass, motherfucker". So long as we're mocking over age issues here, let's show up the 30 year-old 'tallica fan who still thinks that it's cool to talk like Beavis and Butthead.

Another predictable response. Another cop-out. Either come back with something worthwhile or STFU.
  • Odin wrote:
    Re-read the discussion. I've provided more links than anyone else combined.

Fair enough - but the links were a secondary thought. My point was sales statistics and insults aren't gonna convince people that Metallica were more popular than Nirvana. For a few weeks, Pearl Jam probably outsold a lot of people 2 years ago. Doesn't mean they were the biggest band in the world - it just means a lot of people bought that record in that space of time.
    Odin wrote:
    Another predictable response. Another cop-out. Either come back with something worthwhile or STFU.
    Oh wait a second... you're... you're the man in charge of this board? and you can tell me what I can and can't say? and the threads in which I can do it?

wait... hang on, no... that's not the case at all. In fact, I'm free to say whatever the hell I want and certainly I won't be stopping because you tell me to. But I'm happy for you. Clearly your mastery of wikipedia references makes you a cut above the rest of us in terms of debating. A scholarly source if ever there was one.
  • elmerelmer Posts: 1,683
    Odin wrote:
    And what about Nirvana and GnR? The only Nirvana and GnR songs that I ever hear on standard radio are the ones I mentioned in my earlier response.
    Nirvana: Smells Line Teen Spirit, Lithium, Come as You Are, The Man Who Sold The World.

Gn'R: Sweet Child of Mine, Paradise City, November Rain, Don't Cry.
    Fair enough - but the links were a secondary thought. My point was sales statistics and insults aren't gonna convince people that Metallica were more popular than Nirvana. For a few weeks, Pearl Jam probably outsold a lot of people 2 years ago. Doesn't mean they were the biggest band in the world - it just means a lot of people bought that record in that space of time.

As someone mentioned on the very first page of this thread, a lot of people like to re-write history. See Jeremy, some people did agree with me about Nirvana never being the biggest band in the world. Nirvana's place as the "world's most popular band" is disputable, whereas that wasn't the case for The Beatles or Elvis Presley. That is the point that I was trying to make all along, and it's a pretty valid one.
    Jeremy1012 wrote:
    Oh wait a second... you're... you're the man in charge of this board? and you can tell me what I can and can't say? and the threads in which I can do it?

wait... hang on, no... that's not the case at all. In fact, I'm free to say whatever the hell I want and certainly I won't be stopping because you tell me to.

You can post whatever the fuck you want. But don't expect me to give a shit until you bring something worthwhile to the discussion.
    Clearly your mastery of wikipedia references makes you a cut above the rest of us in terms of debating. A scholarly source if ever there was one.

Clearly your mastery of your own fucking opinion makes you a cut above the rest of us in terms of debating. A scholarly source if ever there was one.
  • Odin wrote:
    As someone mentioned on the very first page of this thread, a lot of people like to re-write history. See, some people did agree with me about Nirvana never being the biggest band in the world. Nirvana's place as the "world's most popular band" is disputable, whereas that wasn't the case for The Beatles or Elvis Presley. That is the point that I was trying to make all along, and it's a pretty valid one.

No.... the point you were trying to make is that Metallica were the biggest band in the world, and that anyone who disagrees is any number of derogatory terms. You've said it countless times. Either way, your argument collapsed in on itself as soon as you started attacking Jeremy as if you were 10 years younger, rather than 10 years older.
    elmer wrote:
    Nirvana: Smells Line Teen Spirit, Lithium, Come as You Are, The Man Who Sold The World.

Gn'R: Sweet Child of Mine, Paradise City, November Rain, Don't Cry.

I do hear Come As You Are, Paradise City and November Rain occasionally......nonetheless, those two bands combined don't receive as much airplay as songs from one Metallica album: Black.
    No.... the point you were trying to make is that Metallica were the biggest band in the world, and that anyone who disagrees is any number of derogatory terms. You've said it countless times. Either way, your argument collapsed in on itself as soon as you started attacking Jeremy as if you were 10 years younger, rather than 10 years older.

The insultfest did detract from the argument, I'll admit, but my argument still stands on solid footing.
    Odin wrote:
    You can post whatever the fuck you want. But don't expect me to give a shit until you bring something worthwhile to the discussion.
    Clearly your mastery of your own fucking opinion makes you a cut above the rest of us in terms of debating. A scholarly source if ever there was one.
    I don't expect you to give a shit, I expect you to shut your fucking mouth and show some respect for the users of this site. Isn't this whole site about opinions? And is it therefore not slightly ludicrous to start calling people fucking idiots and telling them to blow their opinions out of their ass when they voice one? What you don't realise is that your contemptible way of conveying your opinion means that no one gives a shit even when you make a vaguely worthwhile point.

As for my mastery of my own opinion, be flippant or don't be. I'm not about to be offended by your little dig there. Better that than over-reliance on a source that can be written and edited by people more ignorant than your fine self.
    Odin wrote:
    I do hear Come As You Are, Paradise City and November Rain occasionally......nonetheless, those two bands combined don't receive as much airplay as songs from one Metallica album: Black.
    America is not the world. The only songs you will ever hear in the UK from the Black album are Enter Sandman and Nothing Else Matters, maybe The Unforgiven at a push. Come As You Are, Smells Like Teen Spirit, In Bloom, Paradise City, November Rain, Don't Cry, Welcome to the Jungle, Sweet Child o' Mine, Patience, these songs are ALL common place on music TV and most of them on rock radio.
    Jeremy1012 wrote:
    I don't expect you to give a shit, I expect you to shut your fucking mouth and show some respect for the users of this site.

That's rich, coming from you.
    Isn't this whole site about opinions? And is it therefore not slightly ludicrous to start calling people fucking idiots and telling them to blow their opinions out of their ass when they voice one? What you don't realise is that your contemptible way of conveying your opinion means that no one gives a shit even when you make a vaguely worthwhile point.

Again, look who's talking. *yawn*
    As for my mastery of my own opinion, be flippant or don't be. I'm not about to be offended by your little dig there. Better that than over-reliance on a source that can be written and edited by people more ignorant than your fine self.

Fine, if you don't want to take Wikipedia's word for it, I'll use the reference cited in Wikipedia's article:

http://www.allmusic.com/cg/amg.dll?p=amg&sql=11:aifqxqr5ldhe~T1

"Pearl Jam rose from the ashes of Mother Love Bone to become the most popular American rock & roll band of the '90s."

"Soon, Pearl Jam outsold Nirvana, which wasn't surprising"

So though many could argue that Nirvana was a "groundbreaking" band, you can't say with absolute certainty that Nirvana was indeed the "world's most popular band" unless you are a teenager young enough to be classmates with the baby on the cover of Nevermind.
    Jeremy1012 wrote:
    America is not the world. The only songs you will ever hear in the UK from the Black album are Enter Sandman and Nothing Else Matters, maybe The Unforgiven at a push. Come As You Are, Smells Like Teen Spirit, In Bloom, Paradise City, November Rain, Don't Cry, Welcome to the Jungle, Sweet Child o' Mine, Patience, these songs are ALL common place on music TV and most of them on rock radio.

Though I don't live in the UK, I'd be hella surprised if One, Wherever I May Roam and Sad But True didn't receive any spins.
  • Odin wrote:
    http://www.allmusic.com/cg/amg.dll?p=amg&sql=11:aifqxqr5ldhe~T1

"Pearl Jam rose from the ashes of Mother Love Bone to become the most popular American rock & roll band of the '90s."

"Soon, Pearl Jam outsold Nirvana, which wasn't surprising"

If you're gonna rag on him for just voicing opinions, citing a biography laced with opinions isn't a very good way to do it.
    Odin wrote:
    That's rich, coming from you.
    What the hell are you talking about? I treat everyone here who deserves it with the utmost respect. I never started to use harsh words against you until you started being offensive to me and, even before that, you were doing it to other people. I can't quite get my head around what riles you so much about people holding different opinions to you.

Oh, and as long as we're still on the age thing that is seemingly such a great concern to you, I am two years older than Spencer Elden. Only if I had acted in a manner not unlike your current one in school and had subsequently been held back a couple of years could I have been his classmate. Facts can be a bitch can't they?
    If you're gonna rag on him for just voicing opinions, citing a biography laced with opinions isn't a very good way to do it.

The first statement was an opinion, from a source more reliable than 19 year-old Jeremy.

The second was a fact, with an interjection of commentary.
    Odin wrote:
    Though I don't live in the UK, I'd be hella surprised if One, Wherever I May Roam and Sad But True didn't receive any spins.
    Be surprised then. One gets Kerrang TV rotation but would never make it on the radio. I have never heard or seen Wherever I May Roam or Sad But True in my life, besides hearing on the album.
    Odin wrote:
    from a source more reliable than 19 year-old Jeremy.
    You come across as a rather sad person. Are you aware of this?
  • Odin wrote:
    The first statement was an opinion, from a source more reliable than 19 year-old Jeremy.

The second was a fact, with an interjection of commentary.

:p More reliable, how? Cos it's from a journalist? Any idiot with an English degree can be a journalist. (At least I hope so... otherwise I'm wasting my college life...)
    And the second was fact, with an interjection of opinion to make it sound like Pearl Jam was bigger than Nirvana at the time, rather than just eventually outselling them.
    Jeremy1012 wrote:
    Oh, and as long as we're still on the age thing that is seemingly such a great concern to you, I am two years older than Spencer Elden. Only if I had acted in a manner not unlike your current one in school and had subsequently been held back a couple of years could I have been his classmate. Facts can be a bitch can't they?

<rolls eyes> Just how stupid are you? I knew that you were slightly older than the infant on the cover of Nevermind. Now that you have learned the definition of ad hominem, I encourage you to look up the definition of hyperbole. But since you obviously have "too much of a life" to research anything, I'll do it myself. I was exaggerating to emphasize my point that you're too young to be able to determine accurately the popularity of Nirvana compared to Metallica in the early 1990s.
  • Blind3Blind3 Posts: 1,149
    The answer is no. Especially with the state the music industry is in. I don't see a band which plays great rock music being able to have the longevity and/or sell enough music and/or write like Lennon-McCartney, Jagger-Richards, or Pete Townshend to achieve Beatles/Stones/Who level.
    "Buy the ticket,take the ride"
    Dr. Hunter S. Thompson

"If I wanted you to understand, I would have explained it better"
    Johan Cruijff
  • ashtrayrockashtrayrock Posts: 167
    In the world of myspace, filesharing and in many ways a leveling of the playing field in that any amateur can post their own songs on myspace, will there ever again be a "biggest band in the world" along the lines of a Nirvana or The Beatles or u2?

radiohead just aren't that good
    For Those About To Rock !

Art changes people. People change the world.
    Odin wrote:
    <rolls eyes> Just how stupid are you? I knew that you were slightly older than the infant on the cover of Nevermind. Now that you have learned the definition of ad hominem, I encourage you to look up the definition of hyperbole. But since you obviously have "too much of a life" to research anything, I'll do it myself. I was exaggerating to emphasize my point that you're too young to be able to determine accurately the popularity of Nirvana compared to Metallica in the early 1990s.
    Yes yes, you are of course correct. With my straight A record in english throughout my school life and having handed in my first year's coursework for my university degree in english literature this very afternoon, I HAVE never come across hyperbole :rolleyes:

Stupid? No. Maybe I'm just taking you to task for every dumbass thing you say because it gives me great amusement to watch you make a fool of yourself.

EDIT: Now that I have learned the definition of 'ad hominem'? Are you presuming that you are teaching me here? :o Christ almighty...