My Chemical Romance

musicismylife78musicismylife78 Posts: 6,116
edited August 2007 in Other Music
Just read a Spin article from last year, and it seems Spin is suggesting that MCR and Gerard Way are this generations spokesman.

Anyone else hear this?

Evidently alot of fans of MCR say the band "saved their lives".

I am really into music and was into Cobain and of course Ed, when they were "Gen x" spokesmen, but I had never heard of MCR being some kind of saviors of rock.

I have been changed and my life has been saved by music, but are millions of teens no longer responding to the Nirvanas and pearl jams of the world and are now identifying with MCR?

Whats the deal with this band?
Post edited by Unknown User on

Comments

• CHANGEinWAVESCHANGEinWAVES Posts: 10,169

are millions of teens of the world now identifying with MCR?
    I would hope not....but probably:(
    "I'm not present, I'm a drug that makes you dream"
  • my chemical romance suck....

if they saved the kids lives and all well good for them.... but they suck.
    This isn't the land of opportunity, it's the land of competition.
  • lucylespianlucylespian Posts: 2,403
    It's the band and the style for their generation.

FAiling to get that shows you are headed for old geezerdom fast.
    I don't actually mind MCR, sure it's theatrical, but what's new about that.

BUt then I have succeeded in negotiating teh jump to a new generation of music a few times now, and I actually quite enjoy it.
    I prefer that over becoming one of those dudes that only ever listen to the music from their glory days.
    Music is not a competetion.
  • I prefer that over becoming one of those dudes that only ever listen to the music from their glory days.
    yeah, i totally know what you mean.

but dammit there's a crapload of other great "modern" bands much better than mcr.... bloc party, nine black alps, moving units... i could go on.
    This isn't the land of opportunity, it's the land of competition.
  • catefrancescatefrances Posts: 29,003
    Just read a Spin article from last year, and it seems Spin is suggesting that MCR and Gerard Way are this generations spokesman.

Anyone else hear this?

I am really into music and was into Cobain and of course Ed, when they were "Gen x" spokesmen, but I had never heard of MCR being some kind of saviors of rock.

I have been changed and my life has been saved by music, but are millions of teens no longer responding to the Nirvanas and pearl jams of the world and are now identifying with MCR?

this is why you shouldn't read SPIN magazine. people will read that and actually believe it. :D
    hear my name
    take a good look
    this could be the day
    hold my hand
    lie beside me
    i just need to say
  • boroff89boroff89 Posts: 786
    As a former high school teacher and somebody who has spent a lot of time at concerts like Warped and Taste of Chaos, this is actually quite true. That's part of why I hate it when people on this board trash My Chemical Romance. This band connects with a lot of teenagers (and beyond). Their mentality and lyrical themes strike a chord with the shit that kids are going through. Also, when I wrote music reviews, I got a chance to interview their lead guitarist. Out of all of the people I interviewed, nobody was nicer, more down to earth, and offered up better answers than Ray Toro. He, and the rest of the band, are in music for all of the right reasons and have a huge amount of respect for the bands that have laid the foundation for them (Queen, Face to Face, Green Day, etc). I actually like some of their songs quite a bit (others not so much). "You Know What They Do To Guys Like Us in Prison" is a really catchy song, as are "Cemetary Drive" and "The Jetset Life Is Gonna Kill You." They aren't, in my opinion, a great band, but they have redeeming qualities a lot of other current mainstream acts lack.
    It makes much more sense to live in the present tense.
  • nickcat0nickcat0 Posts: 75
    Of course today's kids are going to have their own bands to admire and listen to .

I do find it slightly unappealing when a 30 year old man is considered to the spokesman of the teenagers . Aren't you a little old to be "connecting" with the problems of kids ? Shouldn't a 30 year old be writing more mature songs ?
    Nil Satis Nisi Optimum
    9/9/06
    Everton 3 RS 0
  • Peter CPeter C Posts: 237
    Good job i don't listen to them,i'll would probably want to kill myself..;)
    London 1996 Cardiff 2000 Paris 2006 and London 2007.
  • soulsingingsoulsinging Posts: 13,202

Anyone else hear this?

millions of teens haven't been responding to nirvana and pearl jam for over 10 years dude.
  • Hitch-HikerHitch-Hiker Posts: 2,873
    millions of teens haven't been responding to nirvana and pearl jam for over 10 years dude.
    That's not really true. I'm 21 now, but when I was in my early teens and started getting into music, me and my friends would listen mainly to the music of the early nineties and before - Seattle stuff, Pumpkins, Metallica, RATM, Tool, Radiohead etc. Mainly bands that had been long established. The only new stuff coming out was Limp Bizkit, POD and a bunch of other nu-metal crap. Thank god it didn't take off in the same way grunge did.
    Now though, the new scenes do seem to be making a bit of an impact, although I'm not a fan of it personally.
    I'll Ride The Wave Where It Takes Me
  • nickcat0nickcat0 Posts: 75
    I must admit , I quite like a lot of My Chemical Romance's music .

Are there any bands around today , and I'm thinking new bands , that the teenagers can have as their own , whose songs are of a political bent ? I would have thought that with the war in Iraq , the fight against global warming etc . that there'd be plenty of issues for a political band to get their teeth into , and to become the "spokesmen" of this generation .
    Nil Satis Nisi Optimum
    9/9/06
    Everton 3 RS 0
  • Indian SummerIndian Summer Posts: 2,296
    one of those dudes that only ever listen to the music from their glory days.

I've sadly become "that guy" over the past few years...never thought it would happy to me, but new music is just so blah...I don't feel like digging deep anymore to find decent stuff.
    "It's all happening"
  • DOSWDOSW Posts: 2,014
    Well, good for them. I don't listen to them personally, but if they're genuinely helping teenagers get through the tough shit that they go through, then I can't argue with that.

If you ask me though, the Arcade Fire has got to be the closest thing to "the voice of this generation" for me. But I guess they're not quite big enough yet to get that tag nationwide.
    It's a town full of losers and I'm pulling out of here to win
  • surferdudesurferdude Posts: 2,057
    I've sadly become "that guy" over the past few years...never thought it would happy to me, but new music is just so blah...I don't feel like digging deep anymore to find decent stuff.
    I'd suggest Arcade Fire, Rise Against for starters. Hell even Velvet Revolver.
    “One good thing about music,
    when it hits you, you feel to pain.
    So brutalize me with music.”
    ~ Bob Marley
  • Indian SummerIndian Summer Posts: 2,296
    surferdude wrote:
    I'd suggest Arcade Fire, Rise Against for starters. Hell even Velvet Revolver.

Haven't really explored Arcade Fire, or Rise Against....only heard of a couple of singles from each.

but after being a huge STP fan...Velvet Revolver was the biggest letdown ever.
    "It's all happening"
  • geniegenie Posts: 2,222

Anyone else hear this?

well, they are emo band for deaf kids, who wouldn't know a good music if it bit them in their emoarses
    genie wrote:
    well, they are emo band for deaf kids, who wouldn't know a good music if it bit them in their emoarses

This is precisely the shit I was referencing in my post. Could we have a less intelligent post? Can you even define "emo?" As it is essentially a media construction (as was grunge), I am guessing not. The bands that get tagged as EMO (a label none of the bands actually accept) have about as much in common musically as Pearl Jam, Alice in Chains, Soundgarden, Nirvana, etc. did. Look, when a band/artist inspires as many people as My Chemical Romance does, they can't be all that bad. For whatever reason, they don't connect with you. So many people on this board are stuck in the music of about a five-year period in the early 90s, and music that heads in other directions is shit. I can't stand that attitude, but if that's the only music that inspires you, so be it. Rock in this decade has gone in a variety of new directions. Many of those directions are far more desirable than the rock of the late 90s-early 00s (Creed, Limp Bizkit, Kid Rock). One of those directions is what I think of as post-punk. That is a much more meaningful and accurate term than EMO to describe a variety of bands, including MCR, Thursday, Thrice, Jimmy Eat World, Dashboard Confessional. If you actually take a step back and throw aside your previous conceptions about what "good" music is, I think you can find a lot of value and good music in the world of post-punk.
  • Them-BonesThem-Bones Posts: 518
    There merchandise is sprinkled all over the high school I go to, It's not the type of music I like but the thing that bothers me is a lot of there fans seem more concered with there look than with there music.
    "If my thoughts, dreams, could be seen, they'd probably put my head, in a guillotine, but it's alright ma, it's life and life only."
  • 12345AGNST112345AGNST1 Posts: 4,906
    pearl jam saved teens lives in the 90's...so did alice in chains and im sure there were bands before that did the same. i hate my chemical romance and all of those bands. what botheres me are these kids that think no music exists past the radio. its not that hard to find other bands and music and yet they just listen to what ever is on the radio and end up saying im sick of this...or this band sucks....so look around and find other bands jackass. and also how every kid i know only relates to bands by their hits. its like cmon there are other songs. i got kind of off topic but whatever.
    5/28/06, 6/27/08, 10/28/09, 5/18/10, 5/21/10
    8/7/08, 6/9/09
  • geniegenie Posts: 2,222
    boroff89 wrote:
    This is precisely the shit I was referencing in my post. Could we have a less intelligent post? Can you even define "emo?" As it is essentially a media construction (as was grunge), I am guessing not. The bands that get tagged as EMO (a label none of the bands actually accept) have about as much in common musically as Pearl Jam, Alice in Chains, Soundgarden, Nirvana, etc. did. Look, when a band/artist inspires as many people as My Chemical Romance does, they can't be all that bad. For whatever reason, they don't connect with you. So many people on this board are stuck in the music of about a five-year period in the early 90s, and music that heads in other directions is shit. I can't stand that attitude, but if that's the only music that inspires you, so be it. Rock in this decade has gone in a variety of new directions. Many of those directions are far more desirable than the rock of the late 90s-early 00s (Creed, Limp Bizkit, Kid Rock). One of those directions is what I think of as post-punk. That is a much more meaningful and accurate term than EMO to describe a variety of bands, including MCR, Thursday, Thrice, Jimmy Eat World, Dashboard Confessional. If you actually take a step back and throw aside your previous conceptions about what "good" music is, I think you can find a lot of value and good music in the world of post-punk.

what a big response to my very short comment, which is as intelligent as the band mentioned in this thread, haha
    yeah, i guess my and some other peoples dislike to this band and the whole genre must eat you up inside a lot.
    dude, 90 music is the best i grew up on it. sure i listen to new bands, but it's defenitely not those mentioned above.
    Them-Bones wrote:
    There merchandise is sprinkled all over the high school I go to, It's not the type of music I like but the thing that bothers me is a lot of there fans seem more concered with there look than with there music.

Merchandising is a fact of life these days, like it or not. I don't really like it meself, but it's hardly an invenetion of MCR.

A for worrying about teh "look", how is dressing MCR different form wearing a flanny ? Every concert I have ever been to has had about 80% of peeps there in the "right look". NOthing new there wither, be it AC/DC shirts or flowers in your hair wiht acid tabs in your pocket.
  • Merchandising is a fact of life these days, like it or not. I don't really like it meself, but it's hardly an invenetion of MCR.

A for worrying about teh "look", how is dressing MCR different form wearing a flanny ? Every concert I have ever been to has had about 80% of peeps there in the "right look". NOthing new there wither, be it AC/DC shirts or flowers in your hair wiht acid tabs in your pocket.

The flannel... It's just so practical.:D
    Smokey Robinson constantly looks like he's trying to act natural after being accused of farting.
  • I don't get it myself but a lot of people have said the same thing about my generation's music.
  • pearl jam saved teens lives in the 90's...so did alice in chains and im sure there were bands before that did the same. i hate my chemical romance and all of those bands. what botheres me are these kids that think no music exists past the radio. its not that hard to find other bands and music and yet they just listen to what ever is on the radio and end up saying im sick of this...or this band sucks....so look around and find other bands jackass. and also how every kid i know only relates to bands by their hits. its like cmon there are other songs. i got kind of off topic but whatever.
    lol. what a jackass. I can say the same thing about you not doing anything but listening to the same ten grunge albums you have spanning the diverse period of 1991 to 1995. Maybe you should be the one to start looking for other music.
  • The problem is 85% of you are too old or too closed minded, or some combo of the too, to really get it. What makes it funny though is I'm always seeing the same names complaining about this band. I can just imagine some angry 30 to 40 something typing angry about those damned kids in MCR, having nothing better to do but surround themselves in negativity. GROW UP ALREADY!!

Oh, also about the thing with Gerard being 30 or whatever, who cares? I don't see what that has to do with anything.
  • pjoasisrulepjoasisrule Posts: 3,412
    boroff89 wrote:

Its all just whiny garbage now go away
    Alpine Valley 2000
    Summerfest 2006

"Why would they come to our concert just to boo us?" -Lisa Simpson
    Its all just whiny garbage now go away

lol As I always do when these ridiculous EMO comments come up, I bring up the blues, the foundation of all rock. Thematically, blues songs are no different than the music that gets labeled as EMO by those on this board. For that matter, let's throw in quite a bit of Pearl Jam's catalogue into that mess. People tend to write music about the shit they are going through. It's just the nature of humanity and of music. Now go away and listen to the only good Oasis song, Talk Tonight. Burn the rest of their stuff, as it is unoriginal, uninspiring, and in the grand scheme of things, meaningless.
    The flannel... It's just so practical.:D

True, which is the only reason starving musos in a cold city like Seattle preferred it. It's still funny to rock up to a concert ans se thousands of peps being determined individuals by all wearing flanny's. That was Bush BTW, 1996.
    Thousans of AC/DC fans all in black AC/DC shirts caught my eye in Sydney one time too.
    It's all good, I like new music, and at 43, am certainly not too old to learn a few new tricks.
    The emo crowd seems to have a lot of good natured fun playing dress-ups. I saw a bunch in Brisbane city mall recently, and they were having a ball. More fun than the "leave me alone" swampies that used to listen to The Cure when I was at Uni.
  • I'm not really into "emo", but I think MCR are an alright band. They write some catchy songs. That "Teenagers" song or whatever it's called is a pretty good song. I think that alot of the hipsters and people who think they're too cool diss on this band because they think they have to, because the people they represent (which is the people who play emo-dressup). But in all reality they are a good band. And I think they have a message. Maybe not the same message as Pearl Jam or Nirvana, but it's definately better than some of the mindless crap like Fall Out Boy, etc.
    Give them a break, lol
    Walking is still honest
  • 12345AGNST112345AGNST1 Posts: 4,906
    lol. what a jackass. I can say the same thing about you not doing anything but listening to the same ten grunge albums you have spanning the diverse period of 1991 to 1995. Maybe you should be the one to start looking for other music.

OK....clearly i only listen to "grunge".
    5/28/06, 6/27/08, 10/28/09, 5/18/10, 5/21/10
    8/7/08, 6/9/09