R.E.M. 2008 North American Tour‏

Comments

• JOEJOEJOEJOEJOEJOE Posts: 10,483
    jeffbr wrote:
    Based on an email I just got from the fan club, details will be given on Monday regarding ticketing, and on Tuesday at 9am GMT (fuckin' early here on the west coast!) the fanclub presale will start.

Sounds like 9am GMT for the European presale, I hope!
  • rhinomagicrhinomagic Posts: 2,549
    Isn't it possible that these aren't the only North American dates?

Perhaps they're waiting to see how well these shows/the new record sells?

Memphis 1994
    New Orleans 1995
    Fort Lauderdale 1996
    Atlanta & Birmingham 1998
    New Orleans 2000
    Tampa 2003
    Kissimmee 2004
    New York City (x 2) 2008
    East Troy (x 2) 2011
    Chicago & New Orleans 2013
    Hampton, Raleigh, Boston 2016
    Baltimore 2020
    Louisville 2022
    Philadelphia & Baltimore 2024
  • whulmefwhulmef Posts: 176
    jeffbr wrote:
    Based on an email I just got from the fan club, details will be given on Monday regarding ticketing, and on Tuesday at 9am GMT (fuckin' early here on the west coast!) the fanclub presale will start.

Shit, I am in the Fan club, but I havent gotten an email. I did just renew my membership this past month though.
    jeffbr wrote:

Good. I was beginning to wonder about Atlanta.

Memphis 1994
    New Orleans 1995
    Fort Lauderdale 1996
    New Orleans 2000
    Tampa 2003
    Kissimmee 2004
    New York City (x 2) 2008
    East Troy (x 2) 2011
    Baltimore 2020
    Louisville 2022
  • RicsardRicsard Posts: 1,943
    R.E.M. is a pretty good live band!!! I wish I lived in the States this year...:rolleyes:
    Budapest.Budapest.Arnhem.Antwerpen.Vienna.Madrid.Katowice.Nova_rock.Nijmegen.Rotterdam.Berlin.Dublin.Belfast.London.Venice.Prague.Stockholm.Copenhagen.Vienna.Leeds.Milton_keynes.Padova.Prague.Seattle1.Seattle2.Chicago1.Budapest.Cracow.Vienna..>>>LONDON.BERLIN1.BERLIN2
    Eddie: Dublin & London
    (thanks to murmurs.com)

What's the Frequency, Kenneth?
    Living Well is the Best Revenge
    Bad Day
    Drive
    Hollow Man
    So. Central Rain
    Fall on Me
    Imitation of Life
    Man-Sized Wreath
    Begin the Begin
    Orange Crush
    Accelerate
    Electrolite
    Houston
    Losing My Religion
    Horse to Water
    Walk Unafraid
    The One I Love

Supernatural Superserious
    Auctioneer (Another Engine)
    I'm Gonna DJ
    Man on the Moon

Memphis 1994
    New Orleans 1995
    Fort Lauderdale 1996
    New Orleans 2000
    Tampa 2003
    Kissimmee 2004
    New York City (x 2) 2008
    East Troy (x 2) 2011
    Baltimore 2020
    Louisville 2022
    Why does this thread's title line on the Other Music page have a misplaced parenthesis and why are the pages listed in reverse order there?

It's been that way since the thread grew long enough for multiple pages. I'm on the 40-post per page view, if it matters.

Memphis 1994
    New Orleans 1995
    Fort Lauderdale 1996
    New Orleans 2000
    Tampa 2003
    Kissimmee 2004
    New York City (x 2) 2008
    East Troy (x 2) 2011
    Baltimore 2020
    Louisville 2022
  • sadprofessorsadprofessor Posts: 1,034
    rhinomagic wrote:
    (thanks to murmurs.com)

Bad Day
    Drive
    Hollow Man
    So. Central Rain
    Fall on Me
    Imitation of Life
    Man-Sized Wreath
    Begin the Begin
    Orange Crush
    Accelerate
    Electrolite
    Houston
    Losing My Religion
    Horse to Water
    Walk Unafraid
    The One I Love

I'm Gonna DJ
    Man on the Moon

It was good too. Would have liked it to go another song or two, as they didn't use all of their time. But the set was tight and energetic and they seem to have dropped a lot of the real clunkers from the last few records. They sound like a band re-energized. There weren't any boring 5 minute pieces of crap that suck the life out of everyone, like on the Around the Sun tour.

They did plenty of new stuff, and they placed the songs well in the set so they worked well with the old material. You didn't feel like they were hitting you over the head with new songs and what they did play meshed really well with the old songs. WTFK>Living Well is a good example. They took the energy from Kenneth and rode it right into the best new song they have.

On the ATS tour, I remember 10-15 minutes passing where I was bored shitless while they played 2-3 plodding dirge like songs from that record with no end in sight. Some of those songs weren't terrible on the record, but in a live setting they were just lifeless, especially when you are sitting there thinking about all the other stuff they could be playing.

With this new material, I found myself singing along to the 2nd or 3rd chorus in a song, and I haven't even heard some of this stuff more than once before.

After last night, I will definitely be headed to Atlanta.
    The Man has a branch office in each of our brains, his corporate emblem is a white albatross, each local rep has a cover known as the Ego, and their mission in this world is Bad Shit.
  • electronblueelectronblue Posts: 3,460
    It was good too. Would have liked it to go another song or two, as they didn't use all of their time. But the set was tight and energetic and they seem to have dropped a lot of the real clunkers from the last few records. They sound like a band re-energized. There weren't any boring 5 minute pieces of crap that suck the life out of everyone, like on the Around the Sun tour.

They did plenty of new stuff, and they placed the songs well in the set so they worked well with the old material. You didn't feel like they were hitting you over the head with new songs and what they did play meshed really well with the old songs. WTFK>Living Well is a good example. They took the energy from Kenneth and rode it right into the best new song they have.

On the ATS tour, I remember 10-15 minutes passing where I was bored shitless while they played 2-3 plodding dirge like songs from that record with no end in sight. Some of those songs weren't terrible on the record, but in a live setting they were just lifeless, especially when you are sitting there thinking about all the other stuff they could be playing.

With this new material, I found myself singing along to the 2nd or 3rd chorus in a song, and I haven't even heard some of this stuff more than once before.

After last night, I will definitely be headed to Atlanta.

oMG.. i imagine that concert rocked!...~

REM <3<3<3
    "Forgive every being,
    the bad feelings 
    it's just me"

• AnonAnon Posts: 11,175
    jeffbr wrote:

bout fucking time. it seems like i have been waiting forever. i hope it will be worth it. i also want to know what the new york venue is going to be!
    rhinomagic wrote:
    (thanks to murmurs.com)

Bad Day
    Drive
    Hollow Man
    So. Central Rain
    Fall on Me
    Imitation of Life
    Man-Sized Wreath
    Begin the Begin
    Orange Crush
    Accelerate
    Electrolite
    Houston
    Losing My Religion
    Horse to Water
    Walk Unafraid
    The One I Love

I'm Gonna DJ
    Man on the Moon

awesome set list. i would like a little more older stuff, but if that was the set list for the tour, id be satisfied.
    awesome set list. i would like a little more older stuff, but if that was the set list for the tour, id be satisfied.

Are they the type of band that re-writes the setlist for each night? Or do they like a fairly static set?

Memphis 1994
    New Orleans 1995
    Fort Lauderdale 1996
    New Orleans 2000
    Tampa 2003
    Kissimmee 2004
    New York City (x 2) 2008
    East Troy (x 2) 2011
    Baltimore 2020
    Louisville 2022
    rhinomagic wrote:
    Are they the type of band that re-writes the setlist for each night? Or do they like a fairly static set?

I would say its about 60% static with some songs that rotate every other night or so and the random wildcard song. I have seen them 5 times over 3 tours and have heard between 50 and 60 different songs.

They aren't PJ in terms of setlist changes but they certainly do change it up.

They will also start to branch out over the course of the tour. The songs that are regulars at the beginning will probably not be as regular by the end. Other than the really obvious stuff like Man on the Moon and Losing my Religion.

This oughta give you an idea:

http://www.remtimeline.com/

Although I do expect this tour to be way different, in that they won't be playing much at all from Up, Reveal, and Around the Sun. They aren't bringing Ken Stringfellow along to fill the extra keyboard parts. And Even last night, the two songs they did from the most recent 3 records, were more stripped down and rocking. Walk Unafraid rocked way harder than it has in the past.
    The Man has a branch office in each of our brains, his corporate emblem is a white albatross, each local rep has a cover known as the Ego, and their mission in this world is Bad Shit.
  • ZosoZoso Posts: 6,425
    nice set but woud love them play more older stuff.... They seem to throw in a different older song each night. wish they threw in a few different ones each night.

any info yet on when the north am dates are going to be on sale to the general public?
    I'm just flying around the other side of the world to say I love you

Sha la la la i'm in love with a jersey girl

I love you forever and forever :)

Adel 03 Melb 1 03 LA 2 06 Santa Barbara 06 Gorge 1 06 Gorge 2 06 Adel 1 06 Adel 2 06 Camden 1 08 Camden 2 08 Washington DC 08 Hartford 08
  • restlesssoulrestlesssoul Posts: 6,951
    setlist looks good, cant wait for some tickets!
    Van '98, Sea I+II '00, Sea '01, Sea II '02, Van '03, Gorge, Van, Cal, Edm '05, Bos I+II, Phi I+II, DC, SF II+III, Port, Gorge I+II '06, DC, NY I+II '08, Sea I+II, Van, Ridge , LA III+IV' 09, Indy '10, Cal, Van '11, Lond, Van, Sea '13, Memphis '14, RRHOF '17, Sea I+II '18, Van I+II, Vegas I+II '24
  • jb13lettersjb13letters Posts: 220
    13 dates isn't much of a tour. Hopefully there will be some sort of 2nd leg, maybe closer to elections. I wish they'd play more than one Florida date per tour. The last two times they've played have been one-off shows (Vote For Change and Langerado). I won't be seeing the Atlanta show because of the timing... I'm hoping to be in a house at that point and a 5 or 6 hour road trip just isn't in the cards.

They're probably my favorite active band that I still haven't seen live. I really wish I'd gone to see them in Orlando back in the 90s. Oh, well.
    Statistically speaking, you're more likely to be pitied by Mr. T than you are to have feet.
    They're probably my favorite active band that I still haven't seen live. I really wish I'd gone to see them in Orlando back in the 90s. Oh, well.

Was that the '95 tour? They cancelled a gig in Tallahassee the weekend before it was to be performed. Tornado damaged the arena.

I still haven't seen them perform. Damn that tornado.

Memphis 1994
    New Orleans 1995
    Fort Lauderdale 1996
    New Orleans 2000
    Tampa 2003
    Kissimmee 2004
    New York City (x 2) 2008
    East Troy (x 2) 2011
    Baltimore 2020
    Louisville 2022
    rhinomagic wrote:
    Was that the '95 tour? They cancelled a gig in Tallahassee the weekend before it was to be performed. Tornado damaged the arena.

I still haven't seen them perform. Damn that tornado.

Yes, indeed. Nov. '95 I believe.
    Statistically speaking, you're more likely to be pitied by Mr. T than you are to have feet.
  • how much do REM tickets usually cost?
    saw things so much clearer
  • ZosoZoso Posts: 6,425
    how much do REM tickets usually cost?

I paid bout the same for REM as I did for pearl jam the last few years. So somewhere in the 80-100 aussie dollar mark.
    I'm just flying around the other side of the world to say I love you

Sha la la la i'm in love with a jersey girl

I love you forever and forever :)

Adel 03 Melb 1 03 LA 2 06 Santa Barbara 06 Gorge 1 06 Gorge 2 06 Adel 1 06 Adel 2 06 Camden 1 08 Camden 2 08 Washington DC 08 Hartford 08
  • tvismyfriendtvismyfriend Posts: 2,118
    Does anybody know when the tickets go on sale?
    that good question my friend. they are really pissing me off and im about to just forget about them, even though they are my third favorite band. this has been so agrivating for such a long time. plus there are plenty of pearl jam shows to attend now.
    Does anybody know when the tickets go on sale?

They are sending out fan club information for the onsale on Monday. Usually the public sale will be the next week.
    They are sending out fan club information for the onsale on Monday. Usually the public sale will be the next week.

I'm going to be out of town all week next week. I set up the account with Music Today, so I'm hoping that I'll be able to have a friend or family member log on on Tuesday and get tickets for me.

In a wonderful reversal of fortune, it looks like I'm going to be able to make the Atlanta show!

How long do the fan club tix usually last, does anyone know?
    I'm going to be out of town all week next week. I set up the account with Music Today, so I'm hoping that I'll be able to have a friend or family member log on on Tuesday and get tickets for me.

In a wonderful reversal of fortune, it looks like I'm going to be able to make the Atlanta show!

How long do the fan club tix usually last, does anyone know?

I have never had a problem getting tickets to any of the bigger shows. when they played the smaller places on the last tour, some sold out fast (within minutes), but this tour is all arenas and amphitheaters so it should be ok. But honestly I can't say specifically.
  • restlesssoulrestlesssoul Posts: 6,951
    VANCCOUVER SALE DATE:

R.E.M.
    Deer Lake Park , Vancouver, BC
    Fri, May 23, 2008 04:30 PM
    CA $57.50

Onsale to General Public:
    Sat, 04/05/08 10:00 AM PDT

Internet Presale Info
    Live Nation Presale:
    Start:Wed, 04/02/08 10:00 AM PDT
    Radio Presale:
    Georgia Straight Pre:
    Van '98, Sea I+II '00, Sea '01, Sea II '02, Van '03, Gorge, Van, Cal, Edm '05, Bos I+II, Phi I+II, DC, SF II+III, Port, Gorge I+II '06, DC, NY I+II '08, Sea I+II, Van, Ridge , LA III+IV' 09, Indy '10, Cal, Van '11, Lond, Van, Sea '13, Memphis '14, RRHOF '17, Sea I+II '18, Van I+II, Vegas I+II '24
  • Got surprised w/Terrace seats at the Mann Center in Philly. 3 June nights in a row, I will have REM, PJ, and PJ.

I'm a happy woman!
    *Rock and/or Roll!*
  • goldenegggoldenegg Posts: 371
    Got seats for the Toronto show! It's been a while since I've seen them live (remember the free show in downtown TO years ago?).
  • NeilJamNeilJam Posts: 1,191
    13PJ13 wrote:
    Got surprised w/Terrace seats at the Mann Center in Philly. 3 June nights in a row, I will have REM, PJ, and PJ.

I'm a happy woman!

Was seriously thinking of doing the same, but that third night is just a little too much for me. I'm still trying to figure out when/where I'll be seeing other acts this year like Radiohead and NIN that are higher on my list.
  • JOEJOEJOEJOEJOEJOE Posts: 10,483
    NeilJam wrote:
    Was seriously thinking of doing the same, but that third night is just a little too much for me. I'm still trying to figure out when/where I'll be seeing other acts this year like Radiohead and NIN that are higher on my list.

I am in the same boat...REM, PJ and NIN are my favorite live bands, so I want to see multiple shows, and, my girlfriend loves Radiohead, so its gonna be a biz-ee summer!