Weiland booted out of Velvet Revolver

13»

Comments

• mattosbornemattosborne Posts: 339
    I find it humerous that a lot of you are mentioning people like Sebastian Bach. Slash, Duff & Matt have the talent necessary to make a good rock and roll band but, if they still want to be relevant in the least, Bach or anyone like him isn't the way to go. Like him or not, Weiland is a talented frontman that can write a great melody, granted in VR they weren't as great as his past work (IMO anyway) but, VR had a few hits. They were a very successful band. They need someone a little more modern. I don't necessarily have a choice but, out of the ones mentioned, their best bet would be someone like Josh Todd from Buckcherry or something along those lines. I'd be really surprised if they chose somebobody straight out of the 80s like themselves.
    The Official Matt Cameron appreciation signature!
  • gtrplyrgtrplyr Posts: 115
    smithnic wrote:
    <shakes head>
    You can't be serious...

You can't be serious!

Just like Audioslave, VR was nowhere near as good as the two bands that it came from.
  • yieldtomeyieldtome Posts: 67
    gtrplyr wrote:
    You can't be serious!

Just like Audioslave, VR was nowhere near as good as the two bands that it came from.

I agree. I know people have differing musical opinions, but I still don't understand the lack of respect STP is given by some. I know some people can't stand Weiland, and he brings a lot of that on himself, but the Deleo's songwriting alone makes them a worthwhile band. The way Robert packages such complex and intricate chord progressions and bass lines into accessible song structures is as impressive as any rock composer the past 20 years.
  • facepollutionfacepollution Posts: 6,834
    yieldtome wrote:
    I agree. I know people have differing musical opinions, but I still don't understand the lack of respect STP is given by some. I know some people can't stand Weiland, and he brings a lot of that on himself, but the Deleo's songwriting alone makes them a worthwhile band. The way Robert packages such complex and intricate chord progressions and bass lines into accessible song structures is as impressive as any rock composer the past 20 years.

I absolutely agree, they have some incredible songs and people need to stop defining STP by Scott Weiland's behaviour. I'm so desperate to see them live again, got my fingers crossed they will make it over to Europe.
  • Matty BoyMatty Boy Posts: 421
    I just hope that this is the year Axl comes back to kick all our asses.
  • So basically as they grew togehter their egos got in the way instead of becoming more cohesive, and they put themselves in front of the music.

I guess you could say that. But I also think the two sides were just coming from different places, and egos or no, they would never have gelled completely.
    Smokey Robinson constantly looks like he's trying to act natural after being accused of farting.
  • brain of cbrain of c Posts: 5,213
    Matty Boy wrote:

that's a broken axl.
  • keeponrockinkeeponrockin Posts: 7,446
    Matty Boy wrote:
    I've been waiting for that WAY too long.

But I do love Dr. Pepper!
    Believe me, when I was growin up, I thought the worst thing you could turn out to be was normal, So I say freaks in the most complementary way. Here's a song by a fellow freak - E.V
  • Matty BoyMatty Boy Posts: 421
    I've been waiting for that WAY too long.

But I do love Dr. Pepper!

Axl hiring Irving Azoff as his manager is a good sign. I don't think Irving would have bothered taking on a madman like Axl if he didn't think he could get the Chinese Democracy released. Call me crazy, but I'm still a believer!!
  • http://www.roadrunnerrecords.com/blabbermouth.net/news.aspx?mode=Article&newsitemID=95057

UK's Kerrang! magazine has published an exclusive interview with VELVET REVOLVER guitarist Slash about the group's decision to part ways with singer Scott Weiland and its future plans. A couple of excerpts from the chat follow:

On how they felt when Scott informed a sold-out Glasgow SECC in March that they were "watching something special — the last tour by VELVET REVOLVER":

Slash: "He [Scott] didn't know that we were already planning on extraditing him. When we started touring the second record, it just felt like we were losing Scott as far as our connection went. During the tour with ALICE IN CHAINS [in August 2007], he was just out to lunch. When he came back, he was supposed to go to rehab, so we postponed our Austrailian tour but he didn't really go to rehab. That was the final blow. We had a lot of commitments, like the tour in the UK, which we didn't want to go back on, so we wanted to finish those before telling him."

On the relationship between Weiland and the rest of VELVET REVOLVER on their last tour together:

Slash: "We basically didn't speak a word that whole time. We gave him the cold shoulder in the UK like nobody's business. There were a couple of arguments around the stage, but other than that, nobody spoke to him. I imagine he was quite uncomfortable. No wonder he didn't have a good time. Then he told everyone in Glasgow that the whole band was over. We were like, 'Oh, well, I guess we've got a surprise coming for you, Scott.'

"For the most part, I don't really remember seeing much of him, We flew to Dubai together, I think, when we played recently. Well, I think I remember him being on the plane, anyway. We sort of got used to him not being around. He's never really been part of the mechanics of the group — he's always been separate and doing his own little thing."

On whether he thinks Weiland was threatened by Slash's shared history with Duff McKagan and Matt Sorum in GUNS N' ROSES:

Slash: "There was some underlying fucking theme that was going on but I'd be lying if I said I could put my finger exactly on it. I definitely get the feeling there was some sort of resentment going on."

On whether there is any truth to the rumor that Weiland was called "J.A." — Junior Axl — by the band behind he back:

Slash: "No, I never called him that. There were a few similarities though. What became really irritating was that I had the same problem with Scott as I had when I toured with Axl. I just couldn't get the guy onstage on time. That I can't accept. I will not do it again. I will not be in a situation where a guy is making the audience wait half an hour or an hour or more. It's criminal. I don't know who someone thinks he is when tries to get away with that sort of thing."

On being "cursed" when it comes to working with singers:

Slash: "I know, it figures. At this point, three times charmed, right? We're looking forward to finding a new singer, though, and we're in a much stronger position to do that than when we started. Now at least people know what we're doing, they know we're a rock 'n' roll band and that we're sucessful enough that you're going to have to be on your game if you're going to hook up with us. I just want to find this guy so we can write some songs."
    Smokey Robinson constantly looks like he's trying to act natural after being accused of farting.
  • http://www.roadrunnerrecords.com/blabbermouth.net/news.aspx?mode=Article&newsitemID=95057

UK's Kerrang! magazine has published an exclusive interview with VELVET REVOLVER guitarist Slash about the group's decision to part ways with singer Scott Weiland and its future plans. A couple of excerpts from the chat follow:

On how they felt when Scott informed a sold-out Glasgow SECC in March that they were "watching something special — the last tour by VELVET REVOLVER":

Slash: "He [Scott] didn't know that we were already planning on extraditing him. When we started touring the second record, it just felt like we were losing Scott as far as our connection went. During the tour with ALICE IN CHAINS [in August 2007], he was just out to lunch. When he came back, he was supposed to go to rehab, so we postponed our Austrailian tour but he didn't really go to rehab. That was the final blow. We had a lot of commitments, like the tour in the UK, which we didn't want to go back on, so we wanted to finish those before telling him."

On the relationship between Weiland and the rest of VELVET REVOLVER on their last tour together:

Slash: "We basically didn't speak a word that whole time. We gave him the cold shoulder in the UK like nobody's business. There were a couple of arguments around the stage, but other than that, nobody spoke to him. I imagine he was quite uncomfortable. No wonder he didn't have a good time. Then he told everyone in Glasgow that the whole band was over. We were like, 'Oh, well, I guess we've got a surprise coming for you, Scott.'

"For the most part, I don't really remember seeing much of him, We flew to Dubai together, I think, when we played recently. Well, I think I remember him being on the plane, anyway. We sort of got used to him not being around. He's never really been part of the mechanics of the group — he's always been separate and doing his own little thing."

On whether he thinks Weiland was threatened by Slash's shared history with Duff McKagan and Matt Sorum in GUNS N' ROSES:

Slash: "There was some underlying fucking theme that was going on but I'd be lying if I said I could put my finger exactly on it. I definitely get the feeling there was some sort of resentment going on."

On whether there is any truth to the rumor that Weiland was called "J.A." — Junior Axl — by the band behind he back:

Slash: "No, I never called him that. There were a few similarities though. What became really irritating was that I had the same problem with Scott as I had when I toured with Axl. I just couldn't get the guy onstage on time. That I can't accept. I will not do it again. I will not be in a situation where a guy is making the audience wait half an hour or an hour or more. It's criminal. I don't know who someone thinks he is when tries to get away with that sort of thing."

On being "cursed" when it comes to working with singers:

Slash: "I know, it figures. At this point, three times charmed, right? We're looking forward to finding a new singer, though, and we're in a much stronger position to do that than when we started. Now at least people know what we're doing, they know we're a rock 'n' roll band and that we're sucessful enough that you're going to have to be on your game if you're going to hook up with us. I just want to find this guy so we can write some songs."

good stuff buts its half bullshit. Hes looking foward to writing songs, well what the fuck was he doing writing on libertad, faking it. These guys cant get along with anyone, either of them, If scott was using they should have tryed to help him, they had no problem when they got popular and made millions the first tour . I never heard of weiland making fans wait. Ive heard of slash doing it though
    so be it.
    Some people have religion I have Pearl Jam.

no more shows
  • holtzholtz Posts: 509
    I'm a huge GNR fan but this is typical Slash, he's innocent, everyone else is to blame. Weiland quit the band a long time ago when he decided to go back to STP but Slash is tryin gto save face and say they fired him, its stupid. Everyone should follow Duff's lead and just keep quiet.
  • good stuff buts its half bullshit. Hes looking foward to writing songs, well what the fuck was he doing writing on libertad, faking it. These guys cant get along with anyone, either of them, If scott was using they should have tryed to help him, they had no problem when they got popular and made millions the first tour . I never heard of weiland making fans wait. Ive heard of slash doing it though
    so be it.

Well, they did cancel an entire leg of their tour so he could go to rehab. Which he didn't really come through on.
  • holtzholtz Posts: 509
    Well, they did cancel an entire leg of their tour so he could go to rehab. Which he didn't really come through on.

The Australian leg was only 5 dates. Cancelling that wasn't that big of a deal especially when you factor in they were playing small places and they didn't sell that many tickets, which was probably the real deciding factor in cancelling.
  • holtz wrote:
    The Australian leg was only 5 dates. Cancelling that wasn't that big of a deal especially when you factor in they were playing small places and they didn't sell that many tickets, which was probably the real deciding factor in cancelling.

Maybe so, but it's still something of a slap in the face for the other guys. On the other hand, the whole "cold shoulder" thing in Europe is pretty messed up too. It's like a war to see who can be most immature.
  • facepollutionfacepollution Posts: 6,834
    holtz wrote:
    I'm a huge GNR fan but this is typical Slash, he's innocent, everyone else is to blame. Weiland quit the band a long time ago when he decided to go back to STP but Slash is tryin gto save face and say they fired him, its stupid. Everyone should follow Duff's lead and just keep quiet.

I agree, it's total face-saving and looks quite pathetic to be honest. As much as they are trying to dismiss Weiland's contribution to the band, without a famous face fronting them they probably wouldn't have taken off anyway. Good for Weiland quitting when his passion for the music faded.
  • HOOKERHOOKER Posts: 1,443
    CAnt wait to see STP at the hollywood bowl!
    Nice to know you.
  • Get_RightGet_Right Posts: 12,854
    i agree 1000%

VR was never half as good as STP

I agree 2000%
    :D

VR=unlistenable IMHO
    STP Purple=one of the best rock records of the 90s IMHO