Definitive U2 ‘Best Of’ On The Way

13»

Comments

• soulsingingsoulsinging Posts: 13,202
    Don't get me wrong, i like quite a few of their songs, but they're still responsible for some of the most formulaic radio rock in recent years. If you lived in ireland, you'd see how the music press treats them as demi gods, fawning over every little thing they do and having them on every other magazine cover. It's bloody annoying!

well yeah, there's nothing really groundbreaking about their last 2 albums. but one could say pearl jam didnt really do anything new on their last album either. if you dont like the music, that's one thing. but they're far from the worst band out there nor do they deserve the constant shit they take for everything they do.

though i guess i could see a press overkill being annoying. i feel that way about nirvana sometimes... like the constant ass-kissing gets old. but i dont hate or blame nirvana for it.
    tybird wrote:
    Saw a Cisco advert last night........set to the tune of Baba O'Reily.....thought of this thread for some reason. :)

hehe, yeah. who were the corporate whores again?

nothing says revolution in the streets like cisco if you ask me...

so when do we get a tracklist?
  • tybirdtybird Posts: 17,388
    though i guess i could see a press overkill being annoying. i feel that way about nirvana sometimes... like the constant ass-kissing gets old. but i dont hate or blame nirvana for it.
    Amen on over-kill, the constant ass kissing especially in regards to Nirvana.

Somebody was using Supertramp's "Take the Long Way" on some advert that I heard today.......I guess that they needed the money to pay the record company for the re-mastering that was just done on their catalog. :rolleyes:
    All the world will be your enemy, Prince with a thousand enemies, and whenever they catch you, they will kill you. But first they must catch you, digger, listener, runner, prince with the swift warning. Be cunning and full of tricks and your people shall never be destroyed.
    hehe, yeah. who were the corporate whores again?

nothing says revolution in the streets like cisco if you ask me...
    I figured that you would enjoy that tidbit of info.........
    All the world will be your enemy, Prince with a thousand enemies, and whenever they catch you, they will kill you. But first they must catch you, digger, listener, runner, prince with the swift warning. Be cunning and full of tricks and your people shall never be destroyed.
    my attempt:

1. i will follow
    2. gloria
    3. sunday bloody sunday
    4. new year's day
    5. pride
    6. bad
    7. where the streets have no name
    8. with or without you
    9. bullet the blue sky
    10. desire
    11. mysterious ways
    12. one
    13. walk on
    14. beautiful day
    15. stuck in a moment
    16. vertigo

damn, that doesn't feel right. hmmm... i missed some of u2's rise to fame so mine might be slightly revisionist.
    my attempt:

1. i will follow
    2. gloria
    3. sunday bloody sunday
    4. new year's day
    5. pride
    6. bad
    7. where the streets have no name
    8. with or without you
    9. bullet the blue sky
    10. desire
    11. mysterious ways
    12. one
    13. walk on
    14. beautiful day
    15. stuck in a moment
    16. vertigo

damn, that doesn't feel right. hmmm... i missed some of u2's rise to fame so mine might be slightly revisionist.

Nice listing.....I would remove "Pride" simply because I am sick of that song. "Sunday, Bloody Sunday" would have to be the live version from Red Rocks. I suspect that "Stay (Faraway, So Close) will take the place of "Bullet the Blue Sky" and that "All I Want is You" will be included, possibly in place of "Bad". That's not a knock against "Bad," possibly my favorite U2 song, it's just corporate thinking.
    tybird wrote:
    Nice listing.....I would remove "Pride" simply because I am sick of that song. "Sunday, Bloody Sunday" would have to be the live version from Red Rocks. I suspect that "Stay (Faraway, So Close) will take the place of "Bullet the Blue Sky" and that "All I Want is You" will be included, possibly in place of "Bad". That's not a knock against "Bad," possibly my favorite U2 song, it's just corporate thinking.

if you're going by corporate thinking then no way does pride get cut ;)

honestly, i dont know that ive ever heard 'all i want is you' on a radio. though im not sure ive heard bad either. it purports to be their biggest songs so im trying to guess at that. ive heard bullet the blue sky on radio plenty though. never really heard anything from zooropa or pop.
    if you're going by corporate thinking then no way does pride get cut ;)

honestly, i dont know that ive ever heard 'all i want is you' on a radio. though im not sure ive heard bad either. it purports to be their biggest songs so im trying to guess at that. ive heard bullet the blue sky on radio plenty though. never really heard anything from zooropa or pop.
    "Stay" had heavy, heavy rotation on MTV. Yes, they were playing videos back then. "Numb" had some push by MTV. "All I want is you" also got the video treatment outside the sphere of the movie (Rattle & Hum). "Bad" got left off of "Rattle & Hum" (the album) despite being a highlight of the movie. It did get a three song EP back in the day, but I don't remember a big radio push behind it or even a video. They just kept making alternate video versions of "Pride".
  • IgottagoIgottago Posts: 483
    I can say that I am a fan of U2, but I have a love hate relationship with them. They have some great songs, and great albums. But it seems clear to me that they have become more of a business model than a band over the years. Music is no longer their number one priority. Keeping the U2 brand alive and selling, has become their biggest priority. Bono does some great work with charities, and bringing awareness to AIDS in Africa, etc. But I no longer consider him a great artist, I consider him a great business man.