Definitive U2 ‘Best Of’ On The Way

Comments

• reeferchiefreeferchief Posts: 3,569
    There's a very good reason for that.

When you dig your own grave, expect people to be there to cover you in dirt.
    Can not be arsed with life no more.
  • Man, adding 2 new songs to entice their hapless fans to shell out for this is one hell of a cynical ploy.
  • soulsingingsoulsinging Posts: 13,202
    me neither.

though i do belt out a mean pinball wizard. :D

and hello. don't fans of U2 already have all these songs on all the other albums they own?

didnt most fans of pearl jam already have all the songs on rearviewmirror? did you all piss and moan about what whores pearl jam were when they released a greatest hits? this album is more so for casual fans. people who latched on to the last few singles and would recognize the biggest hits from the back catalogue but have little interest in anything else. just as a lot of people will buy rearviewmirror without ever giving a shit about yield, or any other pearl jam album.
    Jammin909 wrote:
    Get a program to rip only the audio into Mp3 from the DVDs. I did that for the Boston release- soundboard quality!

it's 245 MB's so same as a PJ boot.

dude, you're talking to a guy who bought a new computer and had fucked it up so bad within 3 days that he had to wipe it and start over. this sounds way out of my reach...
  • didnt most fans of pearl jam already have all the songs on rearviewmirror? did you all piss and moan about what whores pearl jam were when they released a greatest hits? this album is more so for casual fans. people who latched on to the last few singles and would recognize the biggest hits from the back catalogue but have little interest in anything else. just as a lot of people will buy rearviewmirror without ever giving a shit about yield, or any other pearl jam album.
    We'll start bitching about PJ's best of after they release their 256th one, like U2 are.
  • catefrancescatefrances Posts: 29,003
    didnt most fans of pearl jam already have all the songs on rearviewmirror? did you all piss and moan about what whores pearl jam were when they released a greatest hits? this album is more so for casual fans. people who latched on to the last few singles and would recognize the biggest hits from the back catalogue but have little interest in anything else. just as a lot of people will buy rearviewmirror without ever giving a shit about yield, or any other pearl jam album.

yes. as a matter of fact i did piss and moan when sony bought out rearviewmirror. and i didn't buy it. i already have all those songs. :D
    hear my name
    take a good look
    this could be the day
    hold my hand
    lie beside me
    i just need to say
    We'll start bitching about PJ's best of after they release their 256th one, like U2 are.

once again... name all 256 for me bigshot.

theyve got 2... the first two covered different aspect of their career. kinda like the rem greatest hits everyone around here is raving about. of course, if u2 does it, it's clearly becos they're whores, whereas rem only does it for... the fans right? this will make 3, and it is the first and only to cover their entire career. given that a lot of people were unhappy with the way the previous ones turned out, i dont think this is extravagant.
    yes. as a matter of fact i did piss and moan when sony bought out rearviewmirror. and i didn't buy it. i already have all those songs. :D

i did, cos im a pearl jam completist. but i wont buy this u2 album, nor do i own any of their other greatest hits albums, ive already got all their albums ;)

when u2 goes the way of the who, then maybe ill come round to your side. can anyone even count the number of best of compilations the who have?
    i did, cos im a pearl jam completist. but i wont buy this u2 album, nor do i own any of their other greatest hits albums, ive already got all their albums ;)

when u2 goes the way of the who, then maybe ill come round to your side. can anyone even count the number of best of compilations the who have?

i can count how many i've got. zero.
    hear my name
    take a good look
    this could be the day
    hold my hand
    lie beside me
    i just need to say
    i can count how many i've got. zero.

maybe you're in the small minority of people who are actually consistent then. none of these people bitching about u2's greatest hits said a word about rem's recent greatest hits package.
  • maybe you're in the small minority of people who are actually consistent then. none of these people bitching about u2's greatest hits said a word about rem's recent greatest hits package.
    I will - it's a waste of time.
    I will - it's a waste of time.

cheer up my friend. you sound so angry. it cant be healthy. maybe you should remove that rod from your arse and then u2 wouldn't bother you so much. you act like bono raped your mother...
  • cheer up my friend. you sound so angry. it cant be healthy. maybe you should remove that rod from your arse and then u2 wouldn't bother you so much. you act like bono raped your mother...
    Ouch, who's spouting the invectives now? I was implying that 'best of's are a waste of time in general, i fail to see how it made me seem angry.
    maybe you're in the small minority of people who are actually consistent then. none of these people bitching about u2's greatest hits said a word about rem's recent greatest hits package.

I did'nt say a word about REM because I've never been a fan of REM and have always had an indeffernt sort of attitude towards them.
    With U2, growing up I used to love the band and their music then the 90's happened and U2 just seemed to me like a bunch of money hungry whores, trying to stay relevant by making music that tried to go with the current trend.
    They lost all credibility in my mind.
  • gabersgabers Posts: 2,787
    I did'nt say a word about REM because I've never been a fan of REM and have always had an indeffernt sort of attitude towards them.
    With U2, growing up I used to love the band and their music then the 90's happened and U2 just seemed to me like a bunch of money hungry whores, trying to stay relevant by making music that tried to go with the current trend.
    They lost all credibility in my mind.

Wait, you think them making Achtung Baby made them money hungry whores? Because they lost a lot of US fans after making that album. It's my favorite U2 album, in fact my favorite album period, and I love that they took risks by making something so different. Maybe starting with the Pop album they became "money hungry whores", but not with Achtung Baby or Zooropa.
    gabers wrote:
    Wait, you think them making Achtung Baby made them money hungry whores? Because they lost a lot of US fans after making that album. It's my favorite U2 album, in fact my favorite album period, and I love that they took risks by making something so different. Maybe starting with the Pop album they became "money hungry whores", but not with Achtung Baby or Zooropa.

You could skip Achtung Baby, but from Zooropa on yes.
  • tybirdtybird Posts: 17,388
    The first two (and only two to date) greatest hits packages by U2 were well done if you sprung for the two disc sets.........the second disc in both cases were b-sides and such that were not on official album releases. The more recent of the greatest hits packages also contained a bonus dvd...not much but something extra.

Soulsinging argues the point about the number of Who greatest hits package, and he is correct on this matter. They have been putting out these collections since either the late 1970s or the early 1980s. I should know....I purchased a copy of "Hooligans" on vinyl in or around 1983. I also point the epidemic of Rush greatest hits packages.......a lot of that may not be upto the band. They changed record companys in the mid '80's, and it is their original record company who is milking that cow.

I also believe that U2 has changed record companies in the recent past. They either left Island Records at the end of their contract or sold by Island. I can't remember. That begs the question of who actually has the release rights for the majority of the U2 catalog?
    All the world will be your enemy, Prince with a thousand enemies, and whenever they catch you, they will kill you. But first they must catch you, digger, listener, runner, prince with the swift warning. Be cunning and full of tricks and your people shall never be destroyed.
    Ouch, who's spouting the invectives now? I was implying that 'best of's are a waste of time in general, i fail to see how it made me seem angry.

your 3 posts in the other thread about how u2 are whores. then the 6 more in this thread. you've really got yer hate on for this band. i mean, you post regularly in these threads professing how much you hate the band... they must really bother you to be worth so much effort. which is why i asked if bono molested your mother or something... seems to eb the only logical reason it is so important to you.

tybird, i didnt spring for any of those. i was speaking solely in terms of track selection for the hits. how did walk on not get included? that song alone won several grammies. also, why substitute so many remixes? they bothed that release. the bsides was maybe enticing for fans, but if you're going to go that route, do it pearl jam style is my feeling. plus, even then, those discs were loaded with remixes of album tracks which simply doesn't interest me.

anyway, i wont buy this album either, but i see the purpose it serves and it seems totally reasonable to me.
  • surferdudesurferdude Posts: 2,057
    anyway, i wont buy this album either, but i see the purpose it serves and it seems totally reasonable to me.
    This album is aimed squarely at my son. He's 13, part of the new breed of U2 fans. He knows the Vertigo album and All That You Can't Leave Behind. Hes seen them live and this greatest hits will provide him with enough back catalogue to either satisfy his needs or get him interest in old U2. The fact that the album is going to have the U2/Green Day colloration is a killer bonus for him. As I think new average new U2 fan is also a Green day fan if my son and his friends are any indication.

The big difference between U2 doing this and Pearl jam, is that U2 has been around for nearly twice as long, and U2 has continued to attract new and younger fans. This is not a diss on Pearl Jam but merely reality.
    “One good thing about music,
    when it hits you, you feel to pain.
    So brutalize me with music.”
    ~ Bob Marley
  • DOSWDOSW Posts: 2,014

PJ's # of greatest hits albums: 1
    U2's # of greatest hits albums: 3

That's the problem that people have.
    It's a town full of losers and I'm pulling out of here to win
    DOSW wrote:

U2 has been around ten years (plus) longer than Pearl Jam
    They have released three more studio albums than Pearl Jam
    They have had far more singles that charted than Pearl Jam
    They have earned what they got.........
    All the world will be your enemy, Prince with a thousand enemies, and whenever they catch you, they will kill you. But first they must catch you, digger, listener, runner, prince with the swift warning. Be cunning and full of tricks and your people shall never be destroyed.
  • surferdudesurferdude Posts: 2,057
    DOSW wrote:

In reality;

Number of PJ greatest hits discs: 2, or one disc per every 3-1/2 albums (not inluding live albums).
    Number of PJ B-side discs: 2

Number of U2 greatest hits discs: 3, or one disc per every 4 albums (not inluding live albums).
    Number of U2 B-side discs: 2
    “One good thing about music,
    when it hits you, you feel to pain.
    So brutalize me with music.”
    ~ Bob Marley
    surferdude wrote:
    In reality;

Number of PJ greatest hits discs: 2, or one disc per every 3-1/2 albums (not inluding live albums).
    Number of PJ B-side discs: 2

Number of U2 greatest hits discs: 3, or one disc per every 4 albums (not inluding live albums).
    Number of U2 B-side discs: 2
    Good job..........I did count "Rattle and Hum" as a studio album and "Under A Blood Red Sky" , which is live, is actually an EP. I did not count it.
  • merkinballmerkinball Posts: 2,262
    gabers wrote:

I think if they were truly 'money hungry whores', they would have milked the Joshua Tree, and kept with the same sound. Putting out Achtung Baby, Pop, Zoo TV were pretty big risks. I think it was the concepts from the tours and the staging that kept them going, and getting bigger in the 90's, rather getting new fans from the albums.
    "You're no help," he told the lime. This was unfair. It was only a lime; there was nothing special about it at all. It was doing the best it could.

http://www.last.fm/user/merkinball/
    spotify:user:merkinball
    DOSW wrote:

pj's was a double disc... 2 albums for a 12 year career (number of active years at time of relsease).

u2 now has 3 albums for a 30 year career. how is that gratuitous? furthermore, as someone else mentioned, U2 has had probably twice as many charting singles as pearl jam in a career almost 3 times as long.

rem now has 3 best of compilations.

the who has... 6? 7? 10? can anyone even count them anymore?

yet, we all sing the praises of the latest rem compilation and refuse to question the integrity of the vaunted pete townshend (whose music is now on fucking csi). U2's new package? well, it's cool to hate U2 cos they're hands down more successful than your pet band... so anything they do HAS to suck and be an act of whoring right?
  • dharma69dharma69 Posts: 1,275
    I'd almost forgotten how fashionable it is to hate U2.

A bit of information from an old column on atu2.com:

"...it turns out that U2 is currently operating under a new record contract signed in 1999 -- a contract that supercedes both the 1993 6-album deal, and the 1998 contract that called for three Best Ofs to be released.

"My interviewee recalled that, as part of the current record deal, Island Records may have a right to issue one more Best Of album, and it could include any material at all from the band's career -- '80s, '90s, '00s, you name it."

There you go.
    "I'm here to see Pearl Jam."- Bono

...signed...the token black Pearl Jam fan.

FaceSpace
  • U2rocksU2rocks Posts: 89
    Damn are some of these people wound too tight...did ya'll turn into Republicans? I of course am a big U2 fan...and when I heard the news of the new Best of...I immediately thought that of course I already own all of the cd's..but that won't stop me from buying this one. I have a choice...I can either
    1. Not buy it

or

2. Buy it.

What is the big damn deal? If you want to buy it, then buy it. If you don't then don't. Who cares. Personally I think Best of packages are good for people new to a band or performer who want to get more into the music. Years ago I bought The Essential Bob Dylan series...now I own many many Bob Dylan cd's.

Relax.
  • your 3 posts in the other thread about how u2 are whores. then the 6 more in this thread. you've really got yer hate on for this band. i mean, you post regularly in these threads professing how much you hate the band... they must really bother you to be worth so much effort. which is why i asked if bono molested your mother or something... seems to eb the only logical reason it is so important to you.

tybird, i didnt spring for any of those. i was speaking solely in terms of track selection for the hits. how did walk on not get included? that song alone won several grammies. also, why substitute so many remixes? they bothed that release. the bsides was maybe enticing for fans, but if you're going to go that route, do it pearl jam style is my feeling. plus, even then, those discs were loaded with remixes of album tracks which simply doesn't interest me.

Don't get me wrong, i like quite a few of their songs, but they're still responsible for some of the most formulaic radio rock in recent years. If you lived in ireland, you'd see how the music press treats them as demi gods, fawning over every little thing they do and having them on every other magazine cover. It's bloody annoying!
    merkinball wrote:
    I think if they were truly 'money hungry whores', they would have milked the Joshua Tree, and kept with the same sound. Putting out Achtung Baby, Pop, Zoo TV were pretty big risks. I think it was the concepts from the tours and the staging that kept them going, and getting bigger in the 90's, rather getting new fans from the albums.

POP and ZOOTV were experiments just because U2 were a big enough band to pull it off. or not. kudos to them for the risktaking.
    the last U2 album i brought was WAR. i was a huge fan but then i got distracted by children and then just as reefer said the 90s happened and it was a whole different thing. and there are infinately worse bands than U2 going around.
    hear my name
    take a good look
    this could be the day
    hold my hand
    lie beside me
    i just need to say
    Saw a Cisco advert last night........set to the tune of Baba O'Reily.....thought of this thread for some reason. :)