Definitive U2 ‘Best Of’ On The Way

Edved82Edved82 Posts: 1,279
edited October 2006 in Other Music
Sixteen of U2’s best known songs and two new tracks are on a single ‘Best of” CD released next month.

No word on a title for the album yet nor what the track-listing is but the release date is set for November 20th.

Along with 16 of the band’s best known songs (start predicting them now!) one of the two new tracks is the band’s collaboration with Green Day while the other is a brand new song.

Both were recorded during sessions at London’s Abbey Road last month and are produced by Rick Rubin.

Ahead of the new collection, the U2/Green Day version of The Skids’ track ‘The Saints Are Coming’ will be released as a digital download on 30th October and as a CD single on 6th November.

Proceeds from ‘The Saints’ will benefit Music Rising.

as per U2.com.

Any new U2 track is worth a listen - hopefully Rick Rubin will pull them out of the comfort zone they've been in for the last couple of albums
"...though my problems are meaningless....that don't make them go away...."
Post edited by Unknown User on

Comments

• reeferchiefreeferchief Posts: 3,569
    Milk the money cow boys, shes dripping.
    Can not be arsed with life no more.
  • mwachsmanmwachsman Posts: 474
    So are they just selling a blank CD?
    "So, you must really love Led Zeppelin. That’s the oldest shirt I’ve ever seen on someone who wasn’t a bum."
    "Hey, if God didn’t want me to wear it so much, he wouldn’t have made them rock so hard."
  • gabersgabers Posts: 2,787
    Talk about trying to cram a lot of music on one disc.

I'm not sure Rick Rubin would help them explore new ground. I'm not really looking forward to this collaboration. I like what Rick Rubin has done with some artists (Johnny Cash, RHCP) but I like U2's more experimental stuff, and he tends to streamline and simplify the music.

Anyone know if they plan on releasing the Best of 1980-1990 on dvd?
  • zircona1zircona1 Posts: 293
    Eh, I'll just download the new songs from iTunes when it comes out.
    "As long as the music's loud enough, we won't hear the world falling apart."—Jubilee

"I'm not a very good American because I like to form my own opinions." - George Carlin
  • tybirdtybird Posts: 17,388
    Come on guys........this is getting as bad as Mercury and their constant repackaging of Rush's greatest hits........there must five or six collections of Rush's earlier stuff (earlier than about 1985) on the market.
    All the world will be your enemy, Prince with a thousand enemies, and whenever they catch you, they will kill you. But first they must catch you, digger, listener, runner, prince with the swift warning. Be cunning and full of tricks and your people shall never be destroyed.
  • direwolf74direwolf74 Posts: 1,622
    gabers wrote:
    Talk about trying to cram a lot of music on one disc.

I'm not sure Rick Rubin would help them explore new ground. I'm not really looking forward to this collaboration. I like what Rick Rubin has done with some artists (Johnny Cash, RHCP) but I like U2's more experimental stuff, and he tends to streamline and simplify the music.

I like their experimental stuff too (Achtung Baby is still the best thing they've ever done), but I'm actually looking forward to Rick Rubin working with them. Before they started recording How to Dismantle An Atomic Bomb, I remember the Edge saying that he wanted to make a heavy, balls-out rock album as the follow-up to All That You Can't Leave Behind, but in the end it didn't really turn out that way. Don't get me wrong, I think Atomic Bomb is a very good record. But I think Rubin may be the guy that can truly bring out the ROCK in them. I'm looking forward to hearing the results of this collaboration.
    "I try my best to chug, stomp, weep, whisper, moan, wheeze, scat, blurt, rage, whine, and seduce. With my voice I can sound like a girl, the boogieman, a Theremin, a cherry bomb, a clown, a doctor, a murderer. I can be tribal. Ironic. Or disturbed. My voice is really my instrument."

-Tom Waits
  • elmerelmer Posts: 1,683
    "definative best of?????? fuckin rip-offs
    They should re-master the back catalog before adding another greatest hits collection to the pile.............please......."October" has the tonal qualities of mud.
    All the world will be your enemy, Prince with a thousand enemies, and whenever they catch you, they will kill you. But first they must catch you, digger, listener, runner, prince with the swift warning. Be cunning and full of tricks and your people shall never be destroyed.
  • HOLY SHIT!!! A U2 Greatest Hits Disc?!?!? How will I be able to distinguish it from the other 15 greatest hits albums in the U2 section of any music store?

Can we also get another Guns N' Roses and Aerosmith greatest hits CD? I'm starting to forget what their hits are.

Thanks.
    I was taught a month ago to bide my time and take it slow, but then I learned just yesterday to rush and never waste a day. Now I'm convinced the whole day long that all I've learned is always wrong. Things are true that I forget, but no one taught that to me yet
  • mwachsman wrote:
    So are they just selling a blank CD?

Lame
  • Bloody ridiculous, how about just writing a new album?! I hate it when bands do this, it's so lazy.
  • HOLY SHIT!!! A U2 Greatest Hits Disc?!?!? How will I be able to distinguish it from the other 15 greatest hits albums in the U2 section of any music store?

Can we also get another Guns N' Roses and Aerosmith greatest hits CD? I'm starting to forget what their hits are.

Thanks.

Yeah, 15.

ONE from the 80's plus ONE from the 90's equals 15

idiot
    I love my female wife...
    we sit around and wonder exactly why our marriage should feel threatened by gay marriage
  • soulsingingsoulsinging Posts: 13,202
    HOLY SHIT!!! A U2 Greatest Hits Disc?!?!? How will I be able to distinguish it from the other 15 greatest hits albums in the U2 section of any music store?

Thanks.

name those 15... i dare you.

jesus christ, people act like they turn out a hits album every year like aerosmith or lynyrd skynyrd or (dare i say it) the fucking who (who have more greatest hits albums than any band i know... but heaven forbid anyone talk shit about the beloved who around here or call them out on their bullshit).

they released one best of that covered their early years, and one (admittedly flawed) compilation of their latter years. one disc spanning the whole career seems neither gratuitous nor unecessary.

im anxious to see the tracklisting, though i wont buy it cos im sure ive already got the songs.
  • culot4culot4 Posts: 775
    At least space the things out. I already have 2 best of albums from them and I really don't need another one. I'm not buying an album for 2 new songs either. If they want to rip me off I'll rip them off and just download them illegally. Fucking U2 is starting to get on my nerves.
    Once in a while you can get shown the light, in the strangest of places if you look at it right.
  • name those 15... i dare you.

jesus christ, people act like they turn out a hits album every year like aerosmith or lynyrd skynyrd or (dare i say it) the fucking who (who have more greatest hits albums than any band i know... but heaven forbid anyone talk shit about the beloved who around here or call them out on their bullshit).

they released one best of that covered their early years, and one (admittedly flawed) compilation of their latter years. one disc spanning the whole career seems neither gratuitous nor unecessary.

im anxious to see the tracklisting, though i wont buy it cos im
    sure ive already got the songs.

100% on!

I love The Who. But Pete would sell his own mother for a quarter
    I love my female wife...
    we sit around and wonder exactly why our marriage should feel threatened by gay marriage
  • Speaking of the Who, how far are we from...

"I Can See For Miles" .....new Lenscrafters jingle?

"Magic Bus".......... Greyhound

"Won't Get Fooled Again"...Citi identity theft solutions

"The Real Me"........e-Harmony

"Pictures of Lily"......Kodak

"Boris the Spider"...Terminix

"Bargain"........Walmart, Big Lots, anywhere
    I love my female wife...
    Speaking of the Who, how far are we from...

"I Can See For Miles" .....new Lenscrafters jingle?

"Magic Bus".......... Greyhound

"Won't Get Fooled Again"...Citi identity theft solutions

"The Real Me"........e-Harmony

"Pictures of Lily"......Kodak

"Boris the Spider"...Terminix

"Bargain"........Walmart, Big Lots, anywhere

sssshhhhh!!!! the who are unimpeachable! U2 are the evil corporate sellouts! didnt you get that memo?

my big disappointment with this? how about a live album? u2 is a stellar live act. they've released 2-3 dvd's from the last few tours, but there hasnt been a live album since under a blood red sky (im not counting the few teasers they gave on rattle and hum). that would be my dream.

so, any guesses on tracklist? im going to give it a try tomorrow maybe.

oh yeah, to all the people who love any excuse to hate on u2:

best of 1980-90... released EIGHT YEARS ago in 98.
    best of 1990-00... released FOUR YEARS ago in 02.
    career retrospective... never. it took u2 20 years to do any greatest hits package, and 25 for one spanning their entire career. how is this overkill?
    I say again that I would rather see the earlier albums REMASTERED before they issue a grand retrospective disc. It's a great plan to tempt me with a remastered version of "Gloria" on a greatest hits disc and then hit me up for a remastered "October" three months down the road.
    tybird wrote:
    I say again that I would rather see the earlier albums REMASTERED before they issue a grand retrospective disc. It's a great plan to tempt me with a remastered version of "Gloria" on a greatest hits disc and then hit me up for a remastered "October" three months down the road.

with only 16 tracks purporting to be their biggest hits... i dont see gloria making the cut ;)

but i see your point. and that's cool. like i said, id like a live album. im only taking issue with the folks who seem to be looking for any excuse to label u2 as whores for releasing a greatest hits package that most of the public probably wants to have, especially when these same idiots will turn a blind eye to the extravagant whoring out of anything to do with the who by pete townshend.
  • merkinballmerkinball Posts: 2,262
    tybird wrote:

Thats my problem with the R.E.M IRS Years Disc, and Neil Youngs greatest hits. These remastered greatest hits collections sound great, but then they neglect the back catalog. You've gone to the effort to get some of the tracks done, why not keep going and clean the whole thing up? I had forgotten how much I liked early R.E.M., but I'm not buying any of the early cds (I have most on casette) until they bring them up to par with the IRS disc.
    "You're no help," he told the lime. This was unfair. It was only a lime; there was nothing special about it at all. It was doing the best it could.

http://www.last.fm/user/merkinball/
    spotify:user:merkinball
    with only 16 tracks purporting to be their biggest hits... i dont see gloria making the cut ;)

but i see your point. and that's cool. like i said, id like a live album. im only taking issue with the folks who seem to be looking for any excuse to label u2 as whores for releasing a greatest hits package that most of the public probably wants to have, especially when these same idiots will turn a blind eye to the extravagant whoring out of anything to do with the who by pete townshend.
    And I see yours......yes, a complete live album of recent vintage or even from a bygone day would be sweet.

Yes, the Who sell out.........Hummer commercial anyone? (Happy Jack)

But come on.......do we really need another cd with "Pride (in the name of Love)" on it when we could have "Gloria" remastered?
    merkinball wrote:
    Thats my problem with the R.E.M IRS Years Disc, and Neil Youngs greatest hits. These remastered greatest hits collections sound great, but then they neglect the back catalog. You've gone to the effort to get some of the tracks done, why not keep going and clean the whole thing up? I had forgotten how much I liked early R.E.M., but I'm not buying any of the early cds (I have most on casette) until they bring them up to par with the IRS disc.
    True............I would love to have a remastered copy of at least "Decade" by Neil.
  • kdpjamkdpjam Posts: 2,303
    i usually don't like greatest hit compilations. period.
    lay down all thoughts; surrender to the void
    ~it is shining it is shining~
  • direwolf74direwolf74 Posts: 1,622
    "Greatest hits albums are for housewives and little girls."

-Bruce McCulloch, Kids in the Hall
    "I try my best to chug, stomp, weep, whisper, moan, wheeze, scat, blurt, rage, whine, and seduce. With my voice I can sound like a girl, the boogieman, a Theremin, a cherry bomb, a clown, a doctor, a murderer. I can be tribal. Ironic. Or disturbed. My voice is really my instrument."

-Tom Waits
  • Jammin909Jammin909 Posts: 888
    id like a live album.

Get a program to rip only the audio into Mp3 from the DVDs. I did that for the Boston release- soundboard quality!

it's 245 MB's so same as a PJ boot.
    The less you know, the more you believe.
  • reeferchiefreeferchief Posts: 3,569

I'm not a fan of the Who neither.:)
    Can not be arsed with life no more.
  • catefrancescatefrances Posts: 29,003
    I'm not a fan of the Who neither.:)

me neither.

though i do belt out a mean pinball wizard. :D

and hello. don't fans of U2 already have all these songs on all the other albums they own?
    hear my name
    take a good look
    this could be the day
    hold my hand
    lie beside me
    i just need to say
  • brain of cbrain of c Posts: 5,213
    cd single.
  • It's so easy to bash U2 these days.

For sure, I won't be buying this cd.
  • It's so easy to bash U2 these days.
    There's a very good reason for that.