New Black Crowes Album...Thoughts?

Comments

• mookie9999 wrote:
    Just over one week in and I'm loving the hell out of this album!! There's a couple of misses but they're slight at that! Amazing work by the Robinson bros!!! Can't wait for them to return to NYC!!!

I agree completely. Usually after listening to an album as much as I've listened to this one i've noticed some weak spots and avoid those. With this, the weak spots are still great, great songs. And I love the overall feel of the album, makes me feel like I'm in the old west. I feel safe saying this album will definitely be on my top 10 of the year
    "Ah, life is a gate, a way, a path to Paradise anyway, why not live for fun and joy and love or some sort of girl by a fireside, why not go to your desire and LAUGH..."
  • mookie9999mookie9999 Posts: 4,677
    mulva9 wrote:
    So I never gave the Black Crowes a chance before. Just decided to get this album on a whim and I am so glad I did.

Promptly got SYMM, Southern Harmony, and Amorica and I don't think I've listened to any other band for the past 4 days.

You couldn't have picked two better albums to digest than Southern Harmony and Amorica!! Amazing!! Also give Three Snakes a listen, you won't be disappointed!!
    "The leads are weak!"

"The leads are weak? Fuckin' leads are weak? You're Weak! I've Been in this business 15 years"

"What's your name?"

"FUCK YOU! THAT"S MY NAME!"
  • FlaggFlagg Posts: 5,856
    mookie9999 wrote:
    You couldn't have picked two better albums to digest than Southern Harmony and Amorica!! Amazing!! Also give Three Snakes a listen, you won't be disappointed!!

Thumbs WAY up!
    DAL-7/5/98,10/17/00,6/9/03,11/15/13
    BOS-9/28/04,9/29/04,6/28/08,6/30/08, 9/5/16, 9/7/16, 9/2/18
    MTL-9/15/05, OTT-9/16/05
    PHL-5/27/06,5/28/06,10/30/09,10/31/09
    CHI-8/2/07,8/5/07,8/23/09,8/24/09
    HTFD-6/27/08
    ATX-10/4/09, 10/12/14
    KC-5/3/2010,STL-5/4/2010
    Bridge School-10/23/2010,10/24/2010
    PJ20-9/3/2011,9/4/2011
    OKC-11/16/13
    SEA-12/6/13
    TUL-10/8/14
  • stargirl69stargirl69 Posts: 6,387
    Have had it for just over a week.Cant get enough of it.Playing it constantly and put on Zen as soon as I got it home.Much mellower than other albums by the greatest current american blues rock band.Loving Goodbye Daughters of the Revolution,Oh Josephine,Wee Who See The Deep,Locust Street,Movin On Down The Line,Gods Got It and Whoa Mule.The rest will grow.Best album of the year so far.
    “There should be a place where only the things you want to happen, happen”
  • eyedclaareyedclaar Posts: 6,980
    stargirl69 wrote:
    Have had it for just over a week.Cant get enough of it.Playing it constantly and put on Zen as soon as I got it home.Much mellower than other albums by the greatest current american blues rock band.Loving Goodbye Daughters of the Revolution,Oh Josephine,Wee Who See The Deep,Locust Street,Movin On Down The Line,Gods Got It and Whoa Mule.The rest will grow.Best album of the year so far.

You won't find anyone out there more agnostic than me, so why do I love God's Got it so much? What a foot-stomping southern gospel good time. Hell, you might even see me in a church if I could sing those kind of hymns.
    Idaho's Premier Outdoor Writer

Please Support My Writing Habit By Purchasing A Book:

https://www.createspace.com/3437020

http://www.facebook.com/profile.php?id=100000663025696

http://earthtremors.blogspot.com/
  • stargirl69stargirl69 Posts: 6,387
    eyedclaar wrote:
    You won't find anyone out there more agnostic than me, so why do I love God's Got it so much? What a foot-stomping southern gospel good time. Hell, you might even see me in a church if I could sing those kind of hymns.

Couldnt agree more :)
    I was a bit taken aback when saw the title Gods Got It...........non believer here................but its a fantastic spinetingler of a song despite the subject matter.Maybe thats whats wrong with church.If they played music like this there might be queues around the block to go to sing like this.

I have Ben Harper and The Blind Boys of Alabama album,There Will Be A Light.Its all gospel but done in the way that could turn you to believing.:D
    “There should be a place where only the things you want to happen, happen”
  • joejohnjoejohn Posts: 30
    mulva9 wrote:
    So I never gave the Black Crowes a chance before. Just decided to get this album on a whim and I am so glad I did.

Promptly got SYMM, Southern Harmony, and Amorica and I don't think I've listened to any other band for the past 4 days.

You have to pick up Three Snakes and One Charm now.
  • bobasfeetbobasfeet Posts: 1,113
    Can't quit listening to this. Can't wait to test out my vinyl. Long time fan, I've liked almost everthing they've ever done. I have to say this moves into the elite top 3.

SHAMC / Amorica / Warpaint

PS. The Lost Crowes is a must.
  • DaytimeDilemmaDaytimeDilemma Posts: 2,008
    The Black Crowes are still around?
  • blondieblue227blondieblue227 Posts: 4,509
    sorry O.T.

what happened to their chat forum? amorica.
    did someone get busted?
    *~Pearl Jam will be blasted from speakers until morale improves~*

joejohn wrote:
    You have to pick up Three Snakes and One Charm now.

Agreed!!! But I still need to pick up Lost Crowes!!! I just feel that I wouldn't give it a proper listening at this time due to my obsession with Warpaint.
    "The leads are weak!"

"The leads are weak? Fuckin' leads are weak? You're Weak! I've Been in this business 15 years"

"What's your name?"

• eyedclaareyedclaar Posts: 6,980
    The Black Crowes are still around?

If you were really anywhere near a marijuana vending machine, you wouldn't be asking such dumb questions. In fact, you'd probably be talking to the Robinson brothers right now.
    Idaho's Premier Outdoor Writer

Please Support My Writing Habit By Purchasing A Book:

https://www.createspace.com/3437020

http://www.facebook.com/profile.php?id=100000663025696

http://earthtremors.blogspot.com/
  • queenqueen Posts: 3
    Anyone?
  • dharma69dharma69 Posts: 1,275
    queen wrote:
    Anyone?
    If I can get anywhere near a ticket tomorrow....me!
    "I'm here to see Pearl Jam."- Bono

...signed...the token black Pearl Jam fan.

FaceSpace
  • Damn this is a great album. It definitely belongs in the company of the trifecta of greatness that is Moneymaker, Southern Harmony and Amorica.
    I could never warm much to the Three Snakes and Lions, although I am a large fan of the latter of those two....but even at that it just wasn't the same.
    Now Warpaint is what the Crowes are supposed to be about...booty shaking, foot stomping rock n blues..country...whatever. Assuming the brothers Robinson can continue to ignore how much they hate each other (read the article in the new Rolling Stone -- not that there's any real shocking revelations in it) and continue to work together, the Crowes will be around for a long long time making some of the best music mine ears have ever heard.

Glad they're back! Long live the Crowes!

Also, those of you who haven't definitely need to check out Lost Crowes as well as Brothers of a Feather.....those two may not like each other much but they are a damn magical pair when they're on stage together...plugged in or not!
    All I have to do is revel in the everyday....then do it again tomorrow

They say every sin is deadly but I believe they may be wrong...I'm guilty of all seven and I don't feel too bad at all
  • Has anybody heard 'Here Comes Daylight' which was on the itunes version? I want so badly to go ahead and purchase that version just for that song, but since I am in money-saving mode for Bonnaroo I am hesitant without hearing it...although I am somewhat of a completist and its killing me not to have it!

They say every sin is deadly but I believe they may be wrong...I'm guilty of all seven and I don't feel too bad at all
    i'm like a pesky gnat i know.

is this true?

'It blew up. I don't know the specifics, but some e-fight made boa pull the plug. There are some threads over on Amorica 2, but since I'm mostly a lurker, I don't know the participants and am not overly interested. Refugees that don't get along with the .org'ers have mostly made it over to a proboards site. Sort of a black vs. white thing.

http://amorica2.proboards83.com/index.cgi?
    '

queen wrote:
    Anyone?
    I should've known but I was hoping otherwise...the only tickets released for the Wiltern were the upper GAs. Makes sense and is fair but I was so hoping for otherwise.

Ticket in hand and being in the house is better than not being there at all. Plus The Wiltern's not a giant venue.

This should be a great show!

FaceSpace
  • whygowhygo Posts: 55
    Luther Dickinson is a great friend of mine. He can play guitar w/just about anyone out there... he was homeschooled & all he knows is music... he has a band w/his brother called North Mississippi Allstars. If you h aven't heard them, they are the baddest blues band going right now!

They still do the NMAS thing, so the man is hard at work... they have also backed up John Hiatt, Widespread Panic, Gov't Mule & bands like that.

We were shooting some moonshine the other night & he talked about this little black book he keeps on stage w/all his notes in it (in case he forgets, he likes to burn down)....

He's a perfect fit. I am proud of him.

I know sweet blog
    He's been around for some time, hasn't he? Well, I look forward to catching your friend do his rock/bluesy thing with this band.

FaceSpace
  • Man, NMA is bad ass. I bought Shake Hands with Shorty when it came out and I listened to it non-stop for a long long time. HUGE FAN! Luther does seem to be a perfect fit with the Crowes...sounds like he's going to travel the same path as Warren Haynes and just work his ass off.
    Definitely look into NMA if you haven't heard...their newest, Hernando, is damn good

MTL-9/15/05, OTT-9/16/05
    HTFD-6/27/08
    ATX-10/4/09, 10/12/14
    KC-5/3/2010,STL-5/4/2010
    PJ20-9/3/2011,9/4/2011
    OKC-11/16/13
    SEA-12/6/13
    TUL-10/8/14
  • holtzholtz Posts: 509
    i'm like a pesky gnat i know.

is this true?

'It blew up. I don't know the specifics, but some e-fight made boa pull the plug. There are some threads over on Amorica 2, but since I'm mostly a lurker, I don't know the participants and am not overly interested. Refugees that don't get along with the .org'ers have mostly made it over to a proboards site. Sort of a black vs. white thing.

http://amorica2.proboards83.com/index.cgi?
    '

There were so many idiots on that board I don't doubt its true, I couldn't stand the people there. I've been going to .org for years, good people there.
  • eedheadeedhead Posts: 68
    mulva9 wrote:

Albums aint a scratch on the live shows, if ya wanna trade im with ya, got loads of shows, plenty of the "best" ones too.

Pm me if interested
    " I demand to have more booze "
  • i give props to the black crows. chris robinson fucked kate hudson and probably did some freaky shit with her.
    I like bands.
    Holy Shit! The local radio station that my work has on is playing Oh Josephine! Never thought I would hear that gem at work!! Sorry. no point here! :D
    "The leads are weak!"

"What's your name?"

• bump for the Crowes and this album. It's really solid.
    "This guy back here is giving me the ole one more....one more back to you buddy."

- Mr. Edward Vedder 7/11/03

They are coming to Dallas in May! Whoo! They were just here twice last fall.
    MTL-9/15/05, OTT-9/16/05
    HTFD-6/27/08
    ATX-10/4/09, 10/12/14
    KC-5/3/2010,STL-5/4/2010
    PJ20-9/3/2011,9/4/2011
    OKC-11/16/13
    SEA-12/6/13
    TUL-10/8/14
  • seanw1010seanw1010 Posts: 1,205
    favorite black crowes album aside from southern harmony
    they call them fingers, but i never see them fing. oh, there they go
    ~ Having a psychedelic moment with the cover right now ~

Joshua kicks Brad Klausen’s ass.

Chris’s voice sounds way different.

I freaking can wait to see them again live!