New Black Crowes Album...Thoughts?

wcsmithwcsmith Posts: 165
edited March 2008 in Other Music
I'm listening to it right now...Oh Josephine is a fine, fine Crowes tune...Chris sounds great. It's sounding more and more like THIS album should have followed Three Snakes...

Wow, this is good stuff...
"I'll ride the wave where it takes me"
Post edited by Unknown User on

Comments

• edvedder913edvedder913 Posts: 1,810
    wcsmith wrote:
    I'm listening to it right now...Oh Josephine is a fine, fine Crowes tune...Chris sounds great. It's sounding more and more like THIS album should have followed Three Snakes...

Wow, this is good stuff...

thanks for the reminder - will get it from iTunes today.
  • edvedder913edvedder913 Posts: 1,810
    one of the reviews on iTunes says:

it's official, there's 2 great rock n' roll bands left, Pearl Jam and The Black Crowes.
  • suns22suns22 Posts: 94

it's official, there's 2 great rock n' roll bands left, Pearl Jam and The Black Crowes.

Haha...yeah I saw that too on itunes.

I've only casually listened to the Black Crowes in the past. Mainly just what I heard on the radio. Maybe I should give the new album a shot.
    San Antonio '03
    Houston '03
    Dallas '03
    Hopefully more to come in TX.......some day.
    Bonnaroo '08
  • picked it up this morning...agreed on "Oh Josephine"...great song. i need to have a good handful of listens before i come to conclusions though.
    me you wouldn't recall, cause i'm not my former.
  • FlaggFlagg Posts: 5,856
    I've given it a couple of listens so far.

My favorites are:

Goodbye Daughters of the Revolution
    Oh Josephine
    Evergreen
    Locust Street
    Wounded Bird

That could change though.

One thing you should note: This is a very mellow album. All of tunes are slow to mid tempo. There is nothing on here like Remedy or No Speak No Slave, etc. A lot of country twang.

Light years ahead of Lions though. This doesn't even sound like the same band.

Also, welcome Luther Dickinson. It is nice to have someone in the band that actually play lead guitar. They have been missing that ever since Marc Ford left (twice).
    DAL-7/5/98,10/17/00,6/9/03,11/15/13
    BOS-9/28/04,9/29/04,6/28/08,6/30/08, 9/5/16, 9/7/16, 9/2/18
    MTL-9/15/05, OTT-9/16/05
    PHL-5/27/06,5/28/06,10/30/09,10/31/09
    CHI-8/2/07,8/5/07,8/23/09,8/24/09
    HTFD-6/27/08
    ATX-10/4/09, 10/12/14
    KC-5/3/2010,STL-5/4/2010
    Bridge School-10/23/2010,10/24/2010
    PJ20-9/3/2011,9/4/2011
    OKC-11/16/13
    SEA-12/6/13
    TUL-10/8/14
  • My copy was waiting for me at home at lunch, back at work now with it playing.....just getting started but Oh Josephine is freakin' great. I also noticed that comment on iTunes...and that's pretty much how I feel too
    All I have to do is revel in the everyday....then do it again tomorrow

They say every sin is deadly but I believe they may be wrong...I'm guilty of all seven and I don't feel too bad at all
  • ChrissybChrissyb Posts: 122
    I haven't picked it up yet.. but I plan on getting it tonight.
    **find what you love, love what you find**
  • UKDaveUKDave Posts: 5,557
    Can't wait until April 9th :D Brixton Academy!! :D:D
    Astoria Crew
    Troubled souls unite, we got ourselves tonight...
    Astoria, Dublin, Reading 06
    Katowice, Wembley 07
    SBE, Manchester, O2 09
    Hyde Park 10
    Manchester 1&2 12
    This is just g'bye for now...
  • The VacantThe Vacant Posts: 271
    I'm really digging Oh Josephine and the whole stretch from Wee Who See The Deep through Wounded Bird. Goodbye Daughters of The Revolution is a decent lead off track. Evergreen may be a grower, but I'm not feeling it right now. The rest I can leave.

Great production on the album, Paul Stacey may not have been the best fit on lead, but he's a great producer for this band.

Wee Who See The Deep is probably my favorite out of all of them. The Babe I'm Gonna Leave You and No Quarter style riffs hooked me right into that one.
  • dharma69dharma69 Posts: 1,275
    Am I alone here in saying that I absolutely love the feel and the smell of the the CD package?

Hard copy rules. The CD's not bad, either.
    "I'm here to see Pearl Jam."- Bono

...signed...the token black Pearl Jam fan.

FaceSpace
  • direwolf74direwolf74 Posts: 1,622
    dharma69 wrote:
    Am I alone here in saying that I absolutely love the feel and the smell of the the CD package?

Hard copy rules. The CD's not bad, either.

Yup, great packaging and very cool artwork. And the album is fantastic.
    "I try my best to chug, stomp, weep, whisper, moan, wheeze, scat, blurt, rage, whine, and seduce. With my voice I can sound like a girl, the boogieman, a Theremin, a cherry bomb, a clown, a doctor, a murderer. I can be tribal. Ironic. Or disturbed. My voice is really my instrument."

-Tom Waits
    direwolf74 wrote:
    Did I mention that it smells good, too?

It really does!

FaceSpace
  • hendrix78hendrix78 Posts: 507
    I'm really digging the album so far. It's in rotation with the Gutter twins album, so I haven't really absorbed all of it yet, but so far, I'd say it's the best thing they've done since Amorica. Southern Harmony is still my favorite though. I was worried when I heard Marc Ford quit again, but Luther Dickinson sounds great on the album.
  • allornoneallornone Posts: 269
    dharma69 wrote:
    Did I mention that it smells good, too?

It really does!

I'm sniffing it right now, and I'd have to agree. I think I'm going to rub in on my chin and see if I get lucky tonight.

I am loving the CD too. It was worth the 7 year wait. I'll admit that I miss some of the rockers like High Head Blues, P25 London, or Dirty Haired Halo from The Lost Crowes. Aside from that, it's lived up to the hype so far.
  • mauichickmauichick Posts: 964
    Flagg wrote:

Also, welcome Luther Dickinson. It is nice to have someone in the band that actually play lead guitar. They have been missing that ever since Marc Ford left (twice).

Luther's the man!!
    Went to the Starland show, 1st time seeing them
    Good show, cool to hear the tunes for the 1st time played live
    '96 7 shows / '97 3 shows / '98 15 shows
    '00 12 shows / '03 4 shows / '06 6 shows
    '08 3 shows / '09 5 shows / '10 6 shows
    allornone wrote:
    I'm sniffing it right now, and I'd have to agree. I think I'm going to rub in on my chin and see if I get lucky tonight.

I am loving the CD too. It was worth the 7 year wait. I'll admit that I miss some of the rockers like High Head Blues, P25 London, or Dirty Haired Halo from The Lost Crowes. Aside from that, it's lived up to the hype so far.
    The best of luck to you with that ;).

I'm being completely charmed by "Whoa Mule", "Walk Believer Walk" and "Wounded Bird". Obviously I'm going to have to backtrack and catch up on some Crowes since I last paid real attention to them. It's great to have their brand of rock and roll back in my face.

FaceSpace
  • mookie9999mookie9999 Posts: 4,677
    Love this freakin' album!! From now on I want to hear an album debuted live prior to hearing the cd!! Saw them last night at Irving Plaza and they were as great as ever! Definitely agree with all the positive comments on Luther, he tore the shit up last night!! Now I've had the cd in constant rotation and have listened to it about 10 times. Standouts for me so far are Movin' On Down The Line, Goodbye Daughters..., Locust Street, and Walk Believer Walk. But they all sounded great live! Can't wait for a summer tour!!!

EDIT: Just smelled mine. It's not doing anything for me, but then again most things fail next to my gasoline scratch and sniff stickers.
    "The leads are weak!"

"The leads are weak? Fuckin' leads are weak? You're Weak! I've Been in this business 15 years"

"What's your name?"

"FUCK YOU! THAT"S MY NAME!"
  • IndifferenceIndifference Posts: 2,679
    Thought the album was so so - but sounded, as expected, much better live at somerville last night.....I'm slow this morning....

SHOW COUNT: (157) 1990's=3, 2000's=53, 2010/20's=97, US=116, CAN=15, Europe=20 ,New Zealand=2, Australia=2
    Mexico=1, Colombia=1 

Upcoming:   Ohana x2  Aucklandx2, Gold Coast, Melbournex2

• gusturtlegusturtle Posts: 442
    growing on me fast.
    i love , love , love "walk believer walk."

looking forward to more repeat listening...
  • eyedclaareyedclaar Posts: 6,980
    Diggin' it so far. Great music always takes a few listens, but I like what I'm hearing.
    Idaho's Premier Outdoor Writer

Please Support My Writing Habit By Purchasing A Book:

https://www.createspace.com/3437020

http://www.facebook.com/profile.php?id=100000663025696

http://earthtremors.blogspot.com/
    eyedclaar wrote:
    Great music always takes a few listens,..
    Indeed.

FaceSpace
    eyedclaar wrote:
    Diggin' it so far. Great music always takes a few listens, but I like what I'm hearing.

So how many more times do I need to listen to Lions before I like it?!? ;)
    "The leads are weak!"

"The leads are weak? Fuckin' leads are weak? You're Weak! I've Been in this business 15 years"

"What's your name?"

• I dig it, especially the outro of Oh Josephine and intro to Evergreen. Not in the league of Ballad>Wiser Time but very sweet nonetheless. Looking forward to Sunday night in Atlanta.

For a while I was dealing in tears and powders
    For a while I was strung out beyond my means
    I lost at love while climbing down the ladder
    Just looking for the song to set me free
    PJ Cincy 00, Lex 03, Columbus 03, Hershey 03, Benaroya 03, Boston 9/28/04, Toledo 04, Grand Rapids 04, St.L 04, Asheville 04, Kitchener 05, London 05, Hamilton 05, Montreal 05, Ottawa 05, Philly 05, Chicago I & II 06, Cincy 06, Las Vegas 06, SD 06, EV LA2 08, Columbia 08, Camden I & II 08
  • eyedclaareyedclaar Posts: 6,980
    mookie9999 wrote:
    So how many more times do I need to listen to Lions before I like it?!? ;)

I never understood the dislike for Lions but then again I picked it up during a real good time in my life and always associate it with good times. It isn't as good as BC 1-4 but it kicks the crap out of By Your Side.

Anyhoo, on Warpaint, Walk Believer Walk, Wee Who See the Deep, and Wounded Bird kick serious ass.
    Idaho's Premier Outdoor Writer

Please Support My Writing Habit By Purchasing A Book:

https://www.createspace.com/3437020

http://www.facebook.com/profile.php?id=100000663025696

http://earthtremors.blogspot.com/
  • pjtaperpjtaper Posts: 3,020

Well, you named two of the greats still.
    I miss audioslave... (stupid designer jeans)
  • MojopinMojopin Posts: 216
    I'm fucking impressed!

Mojo
    "A consistently good band works all the different elements well. A song has to appeal sentimentally, intellectually, physically, viscerally, and dig deep down into your soul and suck you into it. And after that, of course, it'd be a matter of taste." ~ Kim Thayil from Soundgarden
  • direwolf74 wrote:
    Lots of hidden shit in there- Have to check out the vinyl!

8/25/00NY, 9/1/00NJ, 4/30/03NY, 7/2&3/03MSG, 7/14/03NJ, 10/13/04 EdW/Boss, 9/24&25/05 St Johns, 5/13/06CT, 5/27&28/06NJ, 6/1/06NJ, 6/3/06NJ, 6/24/06 OH, 7/15-16/06CA, Lolla07, DC, MSGx2, MA1, ED SOLO NYC1&2!
  • IAmMyselfIAmMyself Posts: 671
    Evergreen is my fav, but I have listened to it many times now and it wasn't my favorite the 1st few times. I don't agree with a previous post that says that you can't even tell it's the same band, this is a GREAT Black Crowes album and it sounds just like the band and their previous albums, but that is just my opionion. I have always been a huge fan of everything they have done.
    "Please help me to help you, help yourself." EV
    Just over one week in and I'm loving the hell out of this album!! There's a couple of misses but they're slight at that! Amazing work by the Robinson bros!!! Can't wait for them to return to NYC!!!
    "The leads are weak!"

"What's your name?"

• mulva9mulva9 Posts: 417
    So I never gave the Black Crowes a chance before. Just decided to get this album on a whim and I am so glad I did.

Promptly got SYMM, Southern Harmony, and Amorica and I don't think I've listened to any other band for the past 4 days.