Options

Van Halen/Roth in 2007?

13»

Comments

• Options
    fanch75fanch75 Posts: 3,736
    Ha, yeah. I thought it would "last" longer than it did, but the result is totally to be expected.

Last night whilst discussing the up-to-the-minute news regarding the Van Halen failure with a buddy (isn't that awesome that we were discussing this?), I floated a theory out to him which I think makes sense.

While obviously (given history of VH) personal chemistry is a huge issue, I think that Wolfgang's intended inclusion in this also played a huge part. Let me explain why:

1) From what I've sporatically read I think that the general fan reaction to the 15 year old was a big loud "WTF?!?!?!" I'm sure that EVH is aware of this.

2) The kid is 15 and has never toured nationally. EVH said that Wolfgang has been playing bass for less than a year. I'll give him some credit here for having musical genius in his genetics. Now he's going to tour the world's arenas with the once-mighty Van Halen!?!?!?!? He's simply not prepared on any level for what would come at him (drugs, groupies, the road, being away from home, the whole bit).

3) You know there will be hundreds of pissed-off VH fans who want MA back and will simply berate Wolfgang at every show. You know there will be signs, "Wolfy you suck, give us MA!" or "Wolfgang get off stage & go back to your mama's t*t!" or whatever. Jeers, bottle throwing and all of that. I don't know about you, but when I was 15 I'd get upset over some chick saying no to me at a dance. Is he ready for the abuse & stress, night after night? I doubt it.

4) EVH is a father, knows 1-3, and doesn't want to put his flesh & blood son through this kind of pressure. I think initially he wanted to include his son in this legacy, but it just isn't feasible (to say the least).

There could have been nights of Van Halen's bass player, running off the stage, crying. Disasterous.

So yeah. This tour could have absolutely destroyed Van Halen. Big egos, groupies, partying, being late, cancelign shows, fights on stage...bands have survived that and so could VH. However, this tour could have been the earthquake, causing the mountain to fall and bury the band forever under hundreds of feet of rock. Never to return. So, throw Wolfgang in on top of the ego problems, etc, and this tour never had a chance. Canceling this gives it time to breathe, "forgive" Michael Anthony, and perhaps give it a go sometime in the future. However, this looks less & less likely, as apparently EVH is a miserable mess, unable to get along with anyone other than his brother (seemingly), and their time is running out.
    Do you remember Rock & Roll Radio?
  • Options
    Atomic PunkAtomic Punk Posts: 2,941
    I spoke with ex-Roth drummer Ray Luzier a few weeks ago at the Army of Anyone (he is the drummer for Army of Anyone now) show in NYC and I asked him, since he knows Dave well, what his thoughts were about the reunion.

He said that not having Mike involved was upsetting to him, as it is to all VH fans, and that Mike was one of the nicest guys in the biz and deserved better for sticking with the brothers thru everything over the years.

He said that what we had to watch out for was Wolfgang getting in Dave's way on stage. Thats when it all will end. Wolfie will get in his way, Dave will go nuts, then Ed will protect Wolfie and go after Dave and it will all be over.
    I told him that we should catch a show early on in the tour, before that happens and he laughed and agreed. He said that in his time with Dave (7 - 8 years) that a VH reunion had been in the works about 4 or 5 times, but could never be ironed out, which is why it never went public.

I asked Ray, as I left, if he could throw in a little Hot for Teacher drum intro into the set that night......and he did...what a badass...
  • Options
    tybirdtybird Posts: 17,388
    fanch75 wrote:
    So yeah. This tour could have absolutely destroyed Van Halen. Big egos, groupies, partying, being late, cancelign shows, fights on stage...bands have survived that and so could VH. However, this tour could have been the earthquake, causing the mountain to fall and bury the band forever under hundreds of feet of rock. Never to return.
    I thought that was what you enjoyed about Rock n' Roll............
    All the world will be your enemy, Prince with a thousand enemies, and whenever they catch you, they will kill you. But first they must catch you, digger, listener, runner, prince with the swift warning. Be cunning and full of tricks and your people shall never be destroyed.
  • Options
    tybird wrote:
    I thought that was what you enjoyed about Rock n' Roll............

I think you mis-read my post. I love all the crazy shit, but Wolfie is the "mountain that coudl bury the band" that I was referring to.
  • Options
    tybirdtybird Posts: 17,388
    fanch75 wrote:
    I think you mis-read my post. I love all the crazy shit, but Wolfie is the "mountain that coudl bury the band" that I was referring to.
    I was just funning yah............
    All the world will be your enemy, Prince with a thousand enemies, and whenever they catch you, they will kill you. But first they must catch you, digger, listener, runner, prince with the swift warning. Be cunning and full of tricks and your people shall never be destroyed.
  • Options
    tybird wrote:
    I was just funning yah............

haha, that's cool! :D

i should have added the caveat that the band needs to exist in the first place in order for all that turmoil to be fun rock and roll stuff, ha.
  • Options
    PoncierPoncier Posts: 16,220
    fanch75 wrote:

2) The kid is 15 and has never toured nationally. EVH said that Wolfgang has been playing bass for less than a year. I'll give him some credit here for having musical genius in his genetics. Now he's going to tour the world's arenas with the once-mighty Van Halen!?!?!?!? He's simply not prepared on any level for what would come at him (drugs, groupies, the road, being away from home, the whole bit).
    Well, Wolfie did tour with VH last time out and joined EVH on stage nightly to play along side him during his solo. Certainly not the same as playing bass for 2 hours, but he should at least have a feel for life on the road already.

The onstage aspect is another issue completely.

I personally think the delay is more likely due to hashing out of percentages, doubt DLR will agree to 4 even shares with he and Wolfie getting the same pay (and EVH certainly would not agree to any replacement bassist getting an equal share unless it happens to be his kid.)

A message I received 3rd hand from a somewhat VH insider:
    Yes, it is 100% true that the Van Halen 2007 tour has been indefinitely postponed. Details are a little thin on the ground and no one is talking on the record, but I did manage to talk to my contact who originally told me of the re-union plans in October last year.
    Despite what little has been said publicly so far, it seems there are issues beyond paperwork and contracts that need to be ironed out. Van Halen has always been a volatile mix of personalities and 2007 is no different. Basically those involved in putting this tour together won't commit further until all issues are dealt with, hence the postponement of current plans.
    I am told though, that this postponement should be just that - a temporary situation that can be sorted so that the dates that had been arranged can be re-booked and announced down the track somewhat. The band is unlikely to comment beyond the fact the tour will (at this stage) start later than originally planned.
    This weekend we rock Portland
  • Options

26/ 05/ 00 -Velodomo Anoeta -San Sebastián.
    02/ 09/ 06 -Azkena Rock Festival- Vitoria -Gasteiz.
    09/ 07/ 10 - BBK live -Bilbao.
    10/ 07/ 18 -Palau Sant jordi -Barcelona.

• Options
    PoncierPoncier Posts: 16,220
    Stadiums might be stretching it a bit. Mikey back in place of Wolfie isn't going to triple demand from 2013.
    This weekend we rock Portland
  • Options
    karl_chihirokarl_chihiro Posts: 430
    edited December 2018
    I swear to God if the guys don´t come to Europe I´ll jump off a cliff :cry:
    Post edited by karl_chihiro on
    26/ 05/ 00 -Velodomo Anoeta -San Sebastián.
    02/ 09/ 06 -Azkena Rock Festival- Vitoria -Gasteiz.
    09/ 07/ 10 - BBK live -Bilbao.
    10/ 07/ 18 -Palau Sant jordi -Barcelona.