Silverchair.......wow

RomanzaRomanza Posts: 115
edited September 2007 in Other Music
I totally did not ever look into DIORAMA or YOUNG MODERN, but "Straight Lines" got me into them. So I have been getting back into them, and watched some You Tube....

...so I know that this is in Melbourne (where they are absolute GODS), but this is pretty badass: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=xrI-AC1lfHc

Reminds me of Eddie and controlling the crowd!

"This feeling is wonderful...don't you ever turn it off."
-JJ
Post edited by Unknown User on

Comments

• Romanza wrote:
    I totally did not ever look into DIORAMA or YOUNG MODERN, but "Straight Lines" got me into them. So I have been getting back into them, and watched some You Tube....

...so I know that this is in Melbourne (where they are absolute GODS), but this is pretty badass: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=xrI-AC1lfHc

Reminds me of Eddie and controlling the crowd!

you have no idea what you are in for. this band is incredible! everytime you listen to them you will hear another layer or another part that will stick in your head. really feel fortunate they are still around making incredible music.

go get Live From Faraway Stables, the CD & DVD.
    -

"In your case, I'll check my brain at the door and we'll start even, okay?"

Have you thanked a taper today?
  • larslars Posts: 524
    I haven´t heard the new stuff but I suppose it sucks. If the new stuff doesn´t get any radio airplay it´s not worth checking out. Silverchair had their time with frogstomp and some what freak show, since there seriously hasn´t been anything to come for
    You can´t trust a vegetarian.
  • i am seeing them tonight in brisbane with powderfinger
    cant wait
  • I'm not a big fan of Young Modern yet.. maybe it'll grow on me. I do like "Stright Lines" and "Those Theifing Birds".. not so much the rest. Neon Ballroom is one of my all time favorite albums though... Can't wait to see them in November in LA!
  • lars wrote:
    I haven´t heard the new stuff but I suppose it sucks. If the new stuff doesn´t get any radio airplay it´s not worth checking out. Silverchair had their time with frogstomp and some what freak show, since there seriously hasn´t been anything to come for

So, if it's on the radio it's good? That's possibly the dumbest fucking logic I've ever heard...ever.

"this is radio nowhere, is there anybody alive out there"
  • I went to see them play last month and they DID NOT even play TOMORROW!!!!

I am sorry but they are not that big of a band and should play their #1 hit.

It would be like the Killers not playing Mr Brightside.
    The less you know, the more you believe.
  • rival.rival. Posts: 7,775
    diorama is one of my favorite albums of all time.

i've been listening to young modern religiously. i am hooked.
  • RomanzaRomanza Posts: 115
    Jammin909 wrote:
    I went to see them play last month and they DID NOT even play TOMORROW!!!!

Well, their #1 hit certainly isn't TOMORROW. That broke them in to the mainstream (and the USA more particular). But judging by myspace hits, youtube watches, songmeaning replies, etc....ANA'S SONG (OPEN FIRE) and MISS YOU LOVE appear to be their biggest hit.

STRAIGHT LINES IS TOP 15 RIGHT NOW ON MODERN ROCK CHARTS, somewhere they haven't been since 1999's Neon Ballroom.

check out where it is on my station: http://www.wcyt.org/index.php?option=com_content&task=view&id=9&Itemid=1 - which is judged by requests and total plays.

"This feeling is wonderful...don't you ever turn it off."
    -JJ
    So, if it's on the radio it's good? That's possibly the dumbest fucking logic I've ever heard...ever.

"this is radio nowhere, is there anybody alive out there"
    Frogstomp songs were on radio....are you calling that record bad?
  • brainofPJbrainofPJ Posts: 2,361
    Jammin909 wrote:
    I went to see them play last month and they DID NOT even play TOMORROW!!!!

don't know their names so sorry.....

there was an article in our local paper a few weeks back when they played up in detroit and the lead singer said they will never play anything off of Frogstomp live. that's not who or what they have been about for some time now

Esther's here and she's sick?

hi Esther, now we are all going to be sick, thanks
  • lars wrote:
    I haven´t heard the new stuff but I suppose it sucks. If the new stuff doesn´t get any radio airplay it´s not worth checking out.

this is BY FAR the dumbest thing I have ever read on this board, and there is a lot of stupid stuff on here. I feel sorry for you. I would write an extended rant about how sad this statement is, but I feel its pointless.

enjoy the Fall Out Boy concert.
    -

• lowlight10 wrote:
    this is BY FAR the dumbest thing I have ever read on this board, and there is a lot of stupid stuff on here. I feel sorry for you. I would write an extended rant about how sad this statement is, but I feel its pointless.

enjoy the Fall Out Boy concert.

agreed that statement is moronic at best that person has noclue .
    jesus greets me looks just like me ....
  • I have had a hard time getting into the new album. It just sounds weird to me. I will have to give it a couple more listens.
  • The Only song I remotely like on Young Modern is "If you keep losing sleep". I am not a fan of it... I love Freak Show though. And Neon Ballroom... didn't listen to much of diaroma
  • soulsingingsoulsinging Posts: 13,202
    I have had a hard time getting into the new album. It just sounds weird to me. I will have to give it a couple more listens.

it took me a few listens to get it. it is a strange album and another dramatic change of style. but eventually it clicked and now i love it. their awesome lolla set didn't hurt things either ;)
  • lars wrote:
    Frogstomp songs were on radio....are you calling that record bad?

No. Good songs can be on the radio, just like bad songs can be on the radio.
    No. Good songs can be on the radio, just like bad songs can be on the radio.
    so your argument is pointless
  • Diorama is still my favorite Silverchair album, I like that mix of classical music mixed with rock and how some songs aren't structured like a typical song.
    I just love that cd. Neon Ballroom would be my second fave.
    My favorite song off of Young Modern is "If you keep losing sleep", I like how it's structured and how it sounds.

I didn't expect them to play anything off of Frogstomp, I know they can't even relate to that record at all, being they were 14 when they recorded it. I can't blame Daniel for not wanting to sing anything from it. It's fun that they sing a couple songs from Freak Show, even though Daniel said he doesn't like "Freak", but likes to see the fans reaction to it. It's definitely fun live.
  • Oz JammerOz Jammer Posts: 9,858
    I saw them last Wednesday with Powderfinger in Newcastle. I've seen them many times before and in truth was starting to become disillusioned with their live performances due to Daniel putting on shit accents while singing songs and seemingly looking to 'butcher' songs on purpose.
    Well what can I say? Silverchair blew me away!! The band seem to be so happy nowadays and it shows onstage. That was the best Silverchair performance I'd seen, and YES, I WAS at the shows that were recorded for the "Live At Faraway Stables" CD/DVD set.
    The funny thing is that the only reason I went last Wednesday night was to see Powderfinger :o

IMO "Mind Reader" is the best song off "Young Modern"
  • Cant stand Straight Lines.......sounds like some boring/safe mix radio shit.
    Alpine Valley 2000
    Summerfest 2006

"Why would they come to our concert just to boo us?" -Lisa Simpson
  • oz Jammer, glad you enjoyed their set. You can definitely tell the band is having a good time on stage. I have that DVD and the first time I watched it, I thought it was weird so many people were sitting down. I really wish I could have seen them during the Diorama tour, too bad about Daniel getting so sick. :(

I like "Mind Reader" also and even more so live.
  • Lars, you original statement was that since no new Silverchair was on the radio, that it must suck. I replied to that with, just because a song makes the radio doesnt mean it's good. From there you said the Frogstomp songs made the radio, does that make them bad---to which I said no.

Beyond your logic of a 12 year old, it is safe to say that you have no idea what the hell you are saying. Explain to me why the new Silverchair album sucks. Is it because they aren't on the radio or you don't have the attention span to listen to an arty record without drop-d tuning and heavy distortion?
    Lars, you original statement was that since no new Silverchair was on the radio, that it must suck. I replied to that with, just because a song makes the radio doesnt mean it's good. From there you said the Frogstomp songs made the radio, does that make them bad---to which I said no.

Beyond your logic of a 12 year old, it is safe to say that you have no idea what the hell you are saying. Explain to me why the new Silverchair album sucks. Is it because they aren't on the radio or you don't have the attention span to listen to an arty record without drop-d tuning and heavy distortion?

i think you're arguing backwards with him. our point is that lack of radio play does not mean a band or their music is bad. going by that marker, pearl jam has sucked for a long time and last kiss is a better song than leash.

did you order the faraway stables from circuit city or am i thinking of someone else? im thinking of returning it since i already have an audio copy. i was going to order the dvd from their website... but im concerned that since it's coming from australia it won't play in my dvd player. anyone know about this?
    Cant stand Straight Lines.......sounds like some boring/safe mix radio shit.

yeah, it's about as bland as 'i am mine' in terms of a huge anthemic chorus. but the rest of the album is genius. and hearing it in context makes it sound quite a bit better.
  • Lars, you original statement was that since no new Silverchair was on the radio, that it must suck. I replied to that with, just because a song makes the radio doesnt mean it's good. From there you said the Frogstomp songs made the radio, does that make them bad---to which I said no.

dude, that guy is obviously clueless. dont waste your time.
    -

• i think you're arguing backwards with him. our point is that lack of radio play does not mean a band or their music is bad. going by that marker, pearl jam has sucked for a long time and last kiss is a better song than leash.

did you order the faraway stables from circuit city or am i thinking of someone else? im thinking of returning it since i already have an audio copy. i was going to order the dvd from their website... but im concerned that since it's coming from australia it won't play in my dvd player. anyone know about this?

Its not worth arguing with him anymore. All I ended up getting confused beyond my own belief.

I did order (what I thought to be DVD) from circuit city, but they send me the cd version. If you see the DVD anywhere please let me know.
    Lars, you original statement was that since no new Silverchair was on the radio, that it must suck. I replied to that with, just because a song makes the radio doesnt mean it's good. From there you said the Frogstomp songs made the radio, does that make them bad---to which I said no.

Both reasons. The new silverchair aint any good or else it would have had some sort of airplay. Silverchair should change their sound in a dropped-d tuning with extremely heavy distortion to enhance their sound.
  • So, you basically have no idea what you're trying to say.
    lars wrote:
    Both reasons. The new silverchair aint any good or else it would have had some sort of airplay. Silverchair should change their sound in a dropped-d tuning with extremely heavy distortion to enhance their sound.

you feel the same about pearl jam i assume? straight lines is getting as much play as any pearl jam single in the last 10 years.
    Its not worth arguing with him anymore. All I ended up getting confused beyond my own belief.

I did order (what I thought to be DVD) from circuit city, but they send me the cd version. If you see the DVD anywhere please let me know.

http://www.acrossthegreatdivide.com.au/shop

far as i can tell, it will cost close to $30 to ship it from australia. which im more than happy to do, if i can be sure it will play on my dvd player...