great music egos

soulsingingsoulsinging Posts: 13,202
edited October 2007 in Other Music
you know who i'm talking about... the totally self-obsessed douchebags who think they're god's gift to music. we love to hate them. but when it comes down to it, we cannot resist most of their tunes and have a certain fondness for their nutty antics... "what did he do this time?" it's like a favorite wayward child. a few personal favorites of mine:

liam gallagher- nobody talks more shit than this man. but you can bet your ass you recognize that voice when he comes on the radio, and there's no arguing with their first two albums.

axl rose- the mother of all rock prima donnas. he's moody, he sometimes fucks over his audience. but has anyone ever written a more rock and roll love song than sweet child of mine?

kanye west- he makes wild accusations about the president on national tv and crashes the grammys (or was it mtv) to grab an award he didn't win. he's not even a great wrapper. but his lyrics are a fresh change of pace from the narcissistic thug hip hop and he has a knack for a pop hook and production that nobody can touch.

thom yorke- i think he believes every good thing ever written about him, and thinks that making mediocre ambient albums real electronic artists have been producing for years somehow makes him a revolutionary musician. but let's face facts... everyone wants to hear what they're doing next.
Post edited by Unknown User on

Comments

• intodeepintodeep Posts: 7,228
    I think Billy Corgan falls into this catagory.

I enjoy his music a lot just not his attitude.
    Charlotte 00
    Charlotte 03
    Asheville 04
    Atlanta 12
    Greenville 16, Columbia 16
    Seattle 18 
    Nashville 22
  • Ryan Adams
    Bono (Thinks he is God)
    Liam
  • SoupySoupy Posts: 171
    Jim 'Shamen' Morrison comes straight to mind

Also can I list the following and point out I have no love for either them or their music.

Elton John, Mariah Carey, Victoria 'Posh Spice' Beckham and of course a certain Creed frontman.
  • whygowhygo Posts: 55
    Eddie..... Vitalogy era
  • Oh, JimmyOh, Jimmy Posts: 957
    Maynard-as a band they come off egotistical as well, but in interviews the other members seem 10x more down to earth

Roger Waters-claimed Pink Floyd was his, and he could barely play his instrument?

Paul McCartney-tried to switch Lennon/McCartney on song credits?

Gene Simmons- thinks KISS is absolutely amazing

Omar Rodriguez-Lopez- I think his ego works for his music

Zakk Wylde-what a douche

Anthony Keidis-went and seen them, rest of the band was totally into it, goofin off smilin. Keidis apparently had better things to do
  • Oh, JimmyOh, Jimmy Posts: 957
    Maynard-as a band they come off egotistical as well, but in interviews the other members seem 10x more down to earth

Roger Waters-claimed Pink Floyd was his, and he could barely play his instrument?

Paul McCartney-tried to switch Lennon/McCartney on song credits?

Gene Simmons- thinks KISS is absolutely amazing

Omar Rodriguez-Lopez- I think his ego works for his music

Zakk Wylde-what a douche

Anthony Keidis-went and seen them, rest of the band was totally into it, goofin off smilin. Keidis apparently had better things to do
  • stu geestu gee Posts: 1,174
    Bono - A fine example of a complete wanker.
    People say im paranoid. Well, they dont say it, but i know that's what they are thinking.
  • normnorm Posts: 31,146
    wow, 8 posts in and no sting......i would have thought the pseudo-music critics here would have him front and center along with bono...:rolleyes:
  • Although I love Marc Bolan's work - even his early pixie bollocks and his later, Gloria Jones-era coke shite - he had the most spectacularly humongous ego in the history of the universe. He once said,

"If God were to appear in my room, obviously I would be in awe, but I don't think I would be humble. I might cry, but I think he would dig me like crazy."
  • jamie ukjamie uk Posts: 3,812
    I'd say those Gallagher brothers steal it here, not just for their arrogance, but also for how massively they over rate themselves. I mean, to my mind their entire career when shuffled, and pulled around, could give you one decent enough rock and roll album, but other than that,...they're just, well a bit pants! Completely in love with themselves.
    I came, I saw, I concurred.....
  • jamie uk wrote:
    I'd say those Gallagher brothers steal it here, not just for their arrogance, but also for how massively they over rate themselves. I mean, to my mind their entire career when shuffled, and pulled around, could give you one decent enough rock and roll album, but other than that,...they're just, well a bit pants! Completely in love with themselves.

I think a lot of British musicians are like that. They believe the hype of the UK music press, and then they go over to the States where they're just little fish in a big pond again. Some artists have good management who can sell them to a major US record company, and then with some solid plugging and touring, they'll build up a good US fanbase. The others, the egomaniacs, just flounder. Look at that Robbie Williams, for a classic example.
  • stu geestu gee Posts: 1,174
    The Gallaghers have made a decent living out it, undoubtedly their attitude when they were younger helped them get where they are today and they appear to have settled down a bit now as they have gotten older, Noel definitely has anyway. Someone like Bono is different in my opinion. This is a guy who has completely lost himself in his success to the extent where he appears quite deluded and above all, to be an utter cock.
    People say im paranoid. Well, they dont say it, but i know that's what they are thinking.
  • thunderDANthunderDAN Posts: 2,094
    I enjoy Liam and Noel. They actually believe they are the best band in the world. I mean I would consider myself an above average Oasis fan. I would never say they are the best band in the world, but there is a certain charm to them that doesn't mind them thinking they are. I mean if Nickelback said that I would laugh, but something about Liam and Noel I really don't mind it. Mabye it's the british accent...
  • jamie ukjamie uk Posts: 3,812
    I think a lot of British musicians are like that. They believe the hype of the UK music press, and then they go over to the States where they're just little fish in a big pond again. Some artists have good management who can sell them to a major US record company, and then with some solid plugging and touring, they'll build up a good US fanbase. The others, the egomaniacs, just flounder. Look at that Robbie Williams, for a classic example.

Yeah, and I found that feud they had with Robbie very surreal. They're calling him all this bull shit, names and over hype and stuff...and they're just part of the exact same scene, completely oblivious to their own ignorrance. And I was reading in Uncut last week about their first US show, at the Whiskey in LA, what a bunch of chancers...drunk, and winging it,...shitting bricks more like without the fuckin NME to blow smoke up their arses the whole time, I just never took to them. Like I said, I'll give em what they're due, which is probably a decent enough greatest hits package, but as for stand alone albums.....sorry, just too patchy.
    I came, I saw, I concurred.....
  • soulsingingsoulsinging Posts: 13,202
    stu gee wrote:
    The Gallaghers have made a decent living out it, undoubtedly their attitude when they were younger helped them get where they are today and they appear to have settled down a bit now as they have gotten older, Noel definitely has anyway. Someone like Bono is different in my opinion. This is a guy who has completely lost himself in his success to the extent where he appears quite deluded and above all, to be an utter cock.

see, i figured bono was the opposite in some ways. they did two whole tours mocking the ridiculous hype surrounding themselves (zoo tv and popmart). i also don't see his humanitarianism as a symptom of ego so much as trying to put his fame to the best use he can.
  • It's funny how Bono can do absolutely anything and some people still would kiss his ass. He does create awareness in a lot of things, but that's about it.
    Jellyrolls wrote:
    It's funny how Bono can do absolutely anything and some people still would kiss his ass. He does create awareness in a lot of things, but that's about it.

that's the point... bono could do absolutely anything with his money. rather than mountains of blow and armies of hookers, he raises awareness for humanitarian issues. i think that's pretty good in my book. i know if i had his money i'd probly not be doing 1/1000th of what he does.

but anyway, this isn't a bono vs bono debate. i see how people perceive him as an egomaniac. carry on... who else have we got?
  • Kanye West.
    If I could, think I would give in.
  • jamie uk wrote:
    Yeah, and I found that feud they had with Robbie very surreal. They're calling him all this bull shit, names and over hype and stuff...and they're just part of the exact same scene, completely oblivious to their own ignorrance. And I was reading in Uncut last week about their first US show, at the Whiskey in LA, what a bunch of chancers...drunk, and winging it,...shitting bricks more like without the fuckin NME to blow smoke up their arses the whole time, I just never took to them. Like I said, I'll give em what they're due, which is probably a decent enough greatest hits package, but as for stand alone albums.....sorry, just too patchy.

You know, I met Liam briefly, once, because I know a bloke who has done quite a bit of session work for the band. (Not saying which album he played on, though.) He was very pleasant to me, but then, I don't know what he would have been like in a different context ...
    You know, I met Liam briefly, once, because I know a bloke who has done quite a bit of session work for the band. (Not saying which album he played on, though.) He was very pleasant to me, but then, I don't know what he would have been like in a different context ...

could you understand him? his speech is gibberish to me :)
  • Matty BoyMatty Boy Posts: 421
    Americans are too stupid to grasp the humor of the Gallagher brothers. Noel and Liam are actually pretty down to earth guys and they enjoy making a mockery out of the music press.

Axl's easily the biggest psycho in rock history, but in fainess to the guy, he was molested and beaten as a child. Listen to Chris Jericho talk about how Axl's spiritual advisor sniffs the room out for negative vibes before Axl's allowed to enter.

http://www.megaupload.com/?d=7QKR4K60

"So what happens is he showed up and he had this lady come into the room first. This older lady. She walked in the room. She kind of (sniffing sound) like sniffed the air a bit and kind of held her hand up for a couple seconds. It was like "What, is she casting a spell? What is going on?". And then he came in, and I found out later that she was the Spiritual Advisor. And she reads the room and reads the vibrations in the room to decide whether or not Axl can be there. And she liked all of our vibes and he came in.".-Chris Jericho
    Matty Boy wrote:
    Americans are too stupid to grasp the humor of the Gallagher brothers. Noel and Liam are actually pretty down to earth guys and they enjoy making a mockery out of the music press.

oh ive always felt they love hamming it up for the press. im sure they get a kick out of it.
  • could you understand him? his speech is gibberish to me :)

It's funny what cocaine will do for someone's hearing. ;)
    It's funny what cocaine will do for someone's hearing. ;)

hehe, so you could hear what he was thinking too eh? :D
  • hehe, so you could hear what he was thinking too eh? :D

I could see the fookin' cogs turnin' round, man. Tops. Mad fer it. :D
  • Johnny Rotten
    NERDS!
  • itsevobabyitsevobaby Posts: 1,809
    he's not even a great wrapper.
    haha sorry souls but that's the funniest typo i've seen for a while :D;)
    Look Alive,
    See These Bones
  • 12345AGNST112345AGNST1 Posts: 4,906
    50 cent

oh wait were referring to artists
    5/28/06, 6/27/08, 10/28/09, 5/18/10, 5/21/10
    8/7/08, 6/9/09
  • zenithzenith Posts: 3,191
    yknow with this and another thread about axl rose here - i wonder, why do people still follow him around and indulge his wierdness and self obsessed behaviour - you'd have to pay me one hell of a lot to sniff a room and walk out and keep a straight face in the process.

I think id be saying '....i can smell a huge pill of ... hhhmm ... i think it may be ... hhhmmm .... shit.....

oh wait - thats just you....'

Surely he cant have that much money left after going thru muso after muso, paying for this non existant cd, and the lastest tour. I dont know about america, but in australia he coped the crapest reviews ive ever seen.

I used to be a pretty big fan around the appitite era, but after they toured here the first time back then, i was so disapointed and disgusted with what i think was the worst performance ive ever seen i hardly listenend to them again.
    impatience is a gift ........
  • Anybody that charges over $250/ticket to their concerts.

But actually a giant sized ego probably goes a long way twards becoming a great artist. your average person with an inferiority complex doesn't "generally" achieve superstardom.