most under-rated bands/performers in rocks

13»

Comments

• soulsingingsoulsinging Posts: 13,202
    bump for the folks who asked about it.
  • parel jamparel jam Posts: 7,223
    bump for the folks who asked about it.
    Yeah, that's me...

Let me see: I would add GOMEZ to this list...
    ♪♫♪♫♫

http://youtube.com/watch?v=U_-WGNRyRzU

♪♫♪♫♫
  • suns rivalsuns rival Posts: 15,926
    im not talking about your favorite obscure indie band that nobody has heard of. im talking about bands that are well known but given short shrift for some reason. maybe a one-hit wonder taht was forgotten and shouldn't have been. or a band that outlived its scene and was quickly forgotten. id give 10, but i cant think of that many:

1. silverchair
    dismissed as baby grunge wannabes, they have made 2 of the best albums of the past 10 years (neon ballroom and diorama) that almost nobody seems to have heard.

2. blind melon
    the bee girl video band. it's criminal what happened to these poor guys. soup was a brilliant album, but people didn't want that... they wants 'even less rain.'

3. flaming lips
    she dont use jelly was a minor hit, and i accept that they were maybe a little too weird for the mainstream, but these guys have more creativity and 'alternative' in their little finger than most bands will have in their career.

4. elliott smith
    a lot of people know his name and know that good will hunting song and seemed sad when he died, but i dont think they realized just how genius he could be at writing songs that were genuinely catchy while still being so intelligent and honest.

5. black crowes
    nothing brilliant or innovative, but as far as a bluesy rock band playing it old school, few people do it better. sure they've had a few hits, but i don't think many people realize just how good this band is in terms of musicianship.

6. oasis
    this is kind of a weird one. from what i hear, they are horribly over-rated in england. but stateside, i dont thnk anyone knows a song but wonderwall. sure, they're not the next beatles as the brit press says, but they're not the one-hit wonders most us fans hold them to be.

7. sloan
    has anybody had such a consistently strong catalogue in recent memory? rock and roll as fun as it comes.

8. creedence clearwater revival
    yeah, they're well respected and everyone owns chronicle... btu why is it when people talk about the greats of that era it's all dylan, beatles, floyd, etc? ccr's albums were as uniformly strong as any of them. simply amazing, yet they always seem to end up in the second tier.

9. elton john
    everyone knows him, and to be fair, to this generation he's the oddly flamboyant guy on the lion king soundtrack... but he is a phenomenally good singer and has written some of the best songs in rock history.

10. tragically hip
    how these guys are virtually unheard of outside canada is beyond me.

eh, pearl jam. they're also underrated.
    scratching my butt...
    kinakamot ang aking puwit...
    me rascando pompis...
    krap mijn reet...
    boku no ketsuoana o kizu...
    bahrosh teezy...
  • JennytreeJennytree Posts: 5,340
    Rodrigo y Gabriela - way too underrated and everyone should go see them if you happen to come across a show!
    This is me:
    http://www.facebook.com/jennytree

SMELL YER MA!
  • 1.Pearl Jam
    2.Elliott Smith
    3.Portishead
    4.Sonic Youth
    5.Nick Drake
    6.Tom Waits
    7.Steve Winwood
    8.Johnny Marr (as a solo artist)
  • BlyssBlyss Posts: 166
    10. Elliott Smith
    9. Aimee Mann
    8. PJ Harvey
    7. Tom Petty
    6. The Pixies
    5. Ben Harper (because his diversity is often not recognised, no offense to jack johnson i like him but he is in a class of his own)
    4. David Gray (yes a lot of people do know of him, but only for white ladder and how great his other albums are esp. sell sell sell go unnoticed).
    3. Jeff Buckley
    2. Ryan Adams (i know he has his haters but he manages to take on many different styles of music and often he masters them, also amazing songwriter)
    1. Ani Difranco (she did a bit of a disservice to herself by being indepedent therefore i don't think got the credit she deserved)
  • LiftedLifted Posts: 1,836
    i'm not gonna think of all the most underrated bands because it would take too long and it's too hard to come up with a list. but in more rescent years i would have to say Blind Melon. everyone has already mentioned why they are one of the most underrated bands so i won't waste your time with that but i will say......i would consider My Morning Jacket, because i think they're a better band than Blind Melon, even the Blind Melon is amazing...but anyway....thinking about it My Morning Jacket is not underrated at all, they just aren't known by many people because they haven't promoted themselves for shit. but almost every review i've seen on any of their albums has been great, so i will assume they are very well respected in the musical community
  • artjamartjam Posts: 227
    Bonnie Prince Billy aka Will Oldham is one.
    Jason Molina
    Clutch
    Centro-Matic

The most underrated performer of all time however, is Robert Pollard. Rock God!
  • 1. Candlebox- Most only remember their single, "Far Behind", a song which stamped "Radio Rock" on their foreheads. However, when one listens to their debut album and the albums thereafter, he realizes that there is a lot more to Candlebox. They're raw, bluesy, and badass. I had the pleasure of seeing them live at the House of Blues, A.C. last year. They were one of the best bands I had ever seen live. They play amazingly well and the lead singer has an incredible stage presence. They were actually better live than recorded. Unfortunately, I don't believe that this band will ever get the appreciation they so deserve. 'Tis a travesty.

2. Ours- The alt-rock band released a single, "Sunshine" back in '00, then sort of faded from the spotlight. I bought the album shortly after I saw the video on MTV2 and found it absolutely amazing. The singer's voice is reminiscent of Jeff Buckley's. Their lyrics are beautiful, and the music sort of makes the room temperature drop a few degrees.

3. Nick Drake- An amazing singer/songwriter/guitar player who died young. Unfortunately, he is only famous for a Corona commercial set to his song, "Pink Moon".

4. Ministry- They're one of the heaviest bands known to mankind, one of the great fathers of industrial metal. Known mostly for their single, "Jesus Built My Hotrod" from the Psalm 69 album, many have overlooked other amazing releases such as "The Mind Is a Terrible Thing To Taste" and "The Land of Rape and Honey".
    Oh, and let's not forget their live show. Honestly, it was the loudest show I have EVER attended. It was also a little scary. Amazingly, I was one of perhaps eighty people who attended last year's performance at the House of Blues, A.C.

5. Pantera- I understand that they're a relatively popular metal band. The reason why I decided to put them on the "underrated" list is because it seems to be cool to hate them now. Disregard the fact that they were once glamsters (oh, by the way, the Power Metal album kicked ass). They were an amazingly talented band. Each of the musicians that comprised Pantera was a master of his craft. They also had an original sound... I call it "Bluegrass on Speed".

6. Soundgarden- Yet another band falsely defined by a few radio hits.

7. Megadeth- Even though they were far more badass, talented, and released more good albums than their arch rivals, Metallica, they never recieved enough recognition. To this day, they are one of the best live bands ever...and they're still making kickass albums.

8. Opeth- One of the most talented bands out there who unfortunately came about at the wrong time...when talent yeilded to screaming vocals and hardcore breakdowns.

9. Buckcherry- They brought back feel-good badboy rock n' roll. I love it.

10. Phil Ochs- Yet another brilliant singer/songwriter who died before his time.
    I'll cut you in.
  • pirlo21pirlo21 Posts: 534
    The Charlatans for me.
    Super Furry Animals too. Great band. Fantastic lyrics.
    Cymru Am Byth

PJ albums, at the moment!! -
    1,Vs 2,Vitalogy 3,No Code 4,Yield 5,Ten 6,Backspacer, 7Pearl Jam 8,Binaural 9,Riot Act.
  • soulsingingsoulsinging Posts: 13,202
    4. Ministry- Amazingly, I was one of perhaps eighty people who attended last year's performance at the House of Blues, A.C.

no, not surprisingly... there's a reason for that ;)

i agree with that. they rock so hard and are a lot of fun. they're defined by their crude hits (lit up, crazy bitch) but their albums are chock full of great rock tunes.
  • 1. Candlebox- Most only remember their single, "Far Behind", a song which stamped "Radio Rock" on their foreheads. However, when one listens to their debut album and the albums thereafter, he realizes that there is a lot more to Candlebox. They're raw, bluesy, and badass. I had the pleasure of seeing them live at the House of Blues, A.C. last year. They were one of the best bands I had ever seen live. They play amazingly well and the lead singer has an incredible stage presence. They were actually better live than recorded. Unfortunately, I don't believe that this band will ever get the appreciation they so deserve. 'Tis a travesty.

2. Ours- The alt-rock band released a single, "Sunshine" back in '00, then sort of faded from the spotlight. I bought the album shortly after I saw the video on MTV2 and found it absolutely amazing. The singer's voice is reminiscent of Jeff Buckley's. Their lyrics are beautiful, and the music sort of makes the room temperature drop a few degrees.

3. Nick Drake- An amazing singer/songwriter/guitar player who died young. Unfortunately, he is only famous for a Corona commercial set to his song, "Pink Moon".

4. Ministry- They're one of the heaviest bands known to mankind, one of the great fathers of industrial metal. Known mostly for their single, "Jesus Built My Hotrod" from the Psalm 69 album, many have overlooked other amazing releases such as "The Mind Is a Terrible Thing To Taste" and "The Land of Rape and Honey".
    Oh, and let's not forget their live show. Honestly, it was the loudest show I have EVER attended. It was also a little scary. Amazingly, I was one of perhaps eighty people who attended last year's performance at the House of Blues, A.C.

5. Pantera- I understand that they're a relatively popular metal band. The reason why I decided to put them on the "underrated" list is because it seems to be cool to hate them now. Disregard the fact that they were once glamsters (oh, by the way, the Power Metal album kicked ass). They were an amazingly talented band. Each of the musicians that comprised Pantera was a master of his craft. They also had an original sound... I call it "Bluegrass on Speed".

6. Soundgarden- Yet another band falsely defined by a few radio hits.

7. Megadeth- Even though they were far more badass, talented, and released more good albums than their arch rivals, Metallica, they never recieved enough recognition. To this day, they are one of the best live bands ever...and they're still making kickass albums.

8. Opeth- One of the most talented bands out there who unfortunately came about at the wrong time...when talent yeilded to screaming vocals and hardcore breakdowns.

10. Phil Ochs- Yet another brilliant singer/songwriter who died before his time.

I saw Candelbox live at Blue Cats, and you are right. They are tight live. Great band.
    8-20-92 \ 6-16-08
    10-4-96 \ 5-6-10
    9-6-98 \ 5-7-10
    4-19-03 \ 9-22-12
    10-6-04 \ 7-19-13
    6-24-06 \ 12-6-13
    10-1-14 \ 4-16-16
    \ 4-26-16 \
  • tybirdtybird Posts: 17,388
    King Crimson
    Robert Fripp (outside of King Crimson)
    Adrian Belew (ditto)
    Primus
    Rush
    Drive-by Truckers
    Kate Bush
    All the world will be your enemy, Prince with a thousand enemies, and whenever they catch you, they will kill you. But first they must catch you, digger, listener, runner, prince with the swift warning. Be cunning and full of tricks and your people shall never be destroyed.
  • even flow?even flow? Posts: 8,066
    Max Webster
    You've changed your place in this world!
  • pearl jam
  • eclecticeclectic Posts: 244
    Grant Lee Buffalo-John Martyn-Gil Scott-Heron-The Ruts-XTC-The Fall-Sugar-Alkaline Trio-Billy Talent
    'All the rusted signs,we ignore throughout our lives,
    Choosing the shiny ones instead'

Reading 06 - Torino 06 - Wembley 07
  • eclecticeclectic Posts: 244
    bacchanal wrote:
    pearl jam
    Where in Montana are you from?My brother lives in Paradise Valley near Livingston
    'All the rusted signs,we ignore throughout our lives,
    Choosing the shiny ones instead'

Reading 06 - Torino 06 - Wembley 07