most under-rated bands/performers in rocks

soulsingingsoulsinging Posts: 13,202
edited February 2007 in Other Music
im not talking about your favorite obscure indie band that nobody has heard of. im talking about bands that are well known but given short shrift for some reason. maybe a one-hit wonder taht was forgotten and shouldn't have been. or a band that outlived its scene and was quickly forgotten. id give 10, but i cant think of that many:

1. silverchair
dismissed as baby grunge wannabes, they have made 2 of the best albums of the past 10 years (neon ballroom and diorama) that almost nobody seems to have heard.

2. blind melon
the bee girl video band. it's criminal what happened to these poor guys. soup was a brilliant album, but people didn't want that... they wants 'even less rain.'

3. flaming lips
she dont use jelly was a minor hit, and i accept that they were maybe a little too weird for the mainstream, but these guys have more creativity and 'alternative' in their little finger than most bands will have in their career.

4. elliott smith
a lot of people know his name and know that good will hunting song and seemed sad when he died, but i dont think they realized just how genius he could be at writing songs that were genuinely catchy while still being so intelligent and honest.

5. black crowes
nothing brilliant or innovative, but as far as a bluesy rock band playing it old school, few people do it better. sure they've had a few hits, but i don't think many people realize just how good this band is in terms of musicianship.

6. oasis
this is kind of a weird one. from what i hear, they are horribly over-rated in england. but stateside, i dont thnk anyone knows a song but wonderwall. sure, they're not the next beatles as the brit press says, but they're not the one-hit wonders most us fans hold them to be.

7. sloan
has anybody had such a consistently strong catalogue in recent memory? rock and roll as fun as it comes.

8. creedence clearwater revival
yeah, they're well respected and everyone owns chronicle... btu why is it when people talk about the greats of that era it's all dylan, beatles, floyd, etc? ccr's albums were as uniformly strong as any of them. simply amazing, yet they always seem to end up in the second tier.

9. elton john
everyone knows him, and to be fair, to this generation he's the oddly flamboyant guy on the lion king soundtrack... but he is a phenomenally good singer and has written some of the best songs in rock history.

10. tragically hip
how these guys are virtually unheard of outside canada is beyond me.
Post edited by Unknown User on

Comments

• parel jamparel jam Posts: 7,223
    1. Rory Gallagher
    2. Soundgarden
    3. North Mississippi Allstars
    4. deus
    5. Bjork
    ♪♫♪♫♫

http://youtube.com/watch?v=U_-WGNRyRzU

♪♫♪♫♫
  • 1. Karl Denson- He used to bring it every night

2. Jon Spencer Blues Explosion- Probably one of the best shows I have ever seen

3. Iron Maiden- Still doing it after all of these years, and just as loud

4. Sonic Youth- Only seen em once in a small theater but they blew me away

5. Black Crowes- The shows I have seen have been great, but I have head from others they can be hit or miss.

6. Reverend Horton Heat- The guy constantly tours.
    "She knows there is no success like failure
    And that failure's no success at all."

"Don't ya think its sometimes wise not to grow up."

"Cause life ain't nothing but a good groove
    A good mixed tape to put you in the right mood."
  • stu geestu gee Posts: 1,174
    The Coral
    Doves
    Jimmy Eat world
    The Charlatans
    The Bluetones - http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=9oZRxAmQYZk (love this song)

I think all of those bands are pretty well known, either in the UK or US, or both, but dont get the credit they deserve. The Bluetones have been around for ages and im sure most people in the UK at least will have heard of them, but they have produced some fantastic stuff.
    People say im paranoid. Well, they dont say it, but i know that's what they are thinking.
  • I saw "oasis" and thought, "okay what the fuck are you talking about?" but given the explanation I agree. Americans don't give them much thought beyond Wonderwall and Champagne Supernova.

Underrated in America, horribly, horribly overrated in England.

Nick Cave and The Bad Seeds. A genious that is virtually unknown in America.
    Come on pilgrim you know he loves you..

http://www.wishlistfoundation.org

Oh my, they dropped the leash.

Morgan Freeman/Clint Eastwood 08' for President!

"Make our day"
  • fuckfuck Posts: 4,069
    1. silverchair
    dismissed as baby grunge wannabes, they have made 2 of the best albums of the past 10 years (neon ballroom and diorama) that almost nobody seems to have heard.

Never heard of them. Give me some songs to youtube, please, since they sound pretty great.
    2. blind melon
    the bee girl video band. it's criminal what happened to these poor guys. soup was a brilliant album, but people didn't want that... they wants 'even less rain.'

Totally agree. Amazing band.
    3. flaming lips
    she dont use jelly was a minor hit, and i accept that they were maybe a little too weird for the mainstream, but these guys have more creativity and 'alternative' in their little finger than most bands will have in their career.
    Great band, not as well-known as they should be, though they are up for a grammy against Thom Yorke, lol.
    6. oasis
    this is kind of a weird one. from what i hear, they are horribly over-rated in england. but stateside, i dont thnk anyone knows a song but wonderwall. sure, they're not the next beatles as the brit press says, but they're not the one-hit wonders most us fans hold them to be.

Though they are INSANELY overrated in Britain, no one else really knows anything else about them. I somewhat agree.
    8. creedence clearwater revival
    yeah, they're well respected and everyone owns chronicle... btu why is it when people talk about the greats of that era it's all dylan, beatles, floyd, etc? ccr's albums were as uniformly strong as any of them. simply amazing, yet they always seem to end up in the second tier.

Oh shit, I forgot to add them to my must-get-CD list because I've been meaning to check them out. In what order do you suggest I get all their albums in (unless some suck, leave those out lol)
    10. tragically hip

Made a thread suggesting CDs and once I picked some up, I definitely agree. Such a great band and people need to start listening to them but when people in my school hear Tragically Hip they go "never heard of them so they suck." dumbasses.
  • Blind Melon is one of the best bands of the 90s. Hard to believe people remember them as a one hit wonder (especially when their second record blew the one with the hit away).

"Make our day"
  • over bendsover bends Posts: 1,568
    Three Dog Night should get more recognition than they do. Great band.
    Yield!

3 Decibels Doubles the Volume

• i fully agree about silverchair, although they are very-well known in australia. not very well known outside these borders and diorama was a masterpiece. i also agree about elton john, who could dismiss songs as good as "the way you look tonight" and "tiny dancer?" i'll have to think of my own and post a bit later.
    The wind is blowing cold
    Have we lost our way tonight?
    Have we lost our hope to sorrow?

Feels like were all alone
    Running further from what’s right
    And there are no more heroes to follow

So what are we becoming?
    Where did we go wrong?
  • John Martyn.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=XojRovYf6T8

That clip was recorded in 1972.
  • Todd76Todd76 Posts: 1,469
    15) Hayden - when his debut album came out Spin said he was "the one to watch".....too bad it never took off for him

14) Sonic Youth - take me to the Teenage Riot

13) Sugar (Bob Mould) - amazingly catchy pop tunes (love Copper Blue)

12) Doves - one of the best live bands i've ever seen

11) Eric's Trip - my FAVORITE band for many years

10) Flaming Lips - it doesn't get much better than this band

9) Slowdive/Mojave 3 - I could listen to these bands forever

8) the Dandy Warhols - hope they get back on track with their next album

7) Faith No More - so much more than "Epic" ....Mike Patton is insane

6) Sloan - "Twice Removed" should be required listening for everyone!

5) Cranes - I LOVE this band and nobody has heard of them, beautiful stuff
    (opened for the Cure on the Disintegration tour)

4) Spiritualized - Ladies and Gentlemen We Are Floating in Space!!!!

3) Sarah Harmer - one of the best songwriters i've ever heard......go download "Lodestar" and you'll be hooked

2) the Rheostatics - maybe Canada's BEST band, ever!!!!

1) Sebadoh - Lou Barlow is a genius
    In my world everyone is a pony,
    and they all eat rainbows and pooh butterflies!
  • My Selections are:

1. Everclear - Sure they were a big band for a while but the Sparkle and Fade and World of Noise albums were some of the finest rock releases of the Nineties.

2. Ben Harper - Not really that well known outside of the Pearl Jam/Jack Johnson crowd. One of the most genuine performers in today's music.

3. The Roots - A critics favorite, but they get no airplay. They've even won a grammy without much exposure. The best live Hip-Hop band ever, potentially best Hip-Hop band period. http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=6mkTPw-ZRvg

I also agree that Sugar, Oasis, Elliott Smith, & Eric's Trip are all great underrated bands.
    NERDS!
  • rcsrcs Posts: 711
    Catherine Wheel / Rob Dickinson
    Sugar / Bob Mould
    Primus (somewhat famous but deserve more recognition for their influence)
    E agora? Faz xixi na mão e deita fora!
  • brain of cbrain of c Posts: 5,213
    10cc
    cheap trick
    barenaked ladies
    todd rundgren
    prince
    fabulous poodles
    warren zevon
    fountains of wayne
    nick lowe
    they might be giants
  • brain of c wrote:
    10cc
    cheap trick
    barenaked ladies
    todd rundgren
    prince
    fabulous poodles
    warren zevon
    fountains of wayne
    nick lowe
    they might be giants

This post may go down in history. The 1st ever regular font Brain of C post?

edit- damn he fixed it ;)
    NERDS!
  • My Selections are:

1. Everclear - Sure they were a big band for a while but the Sparkle and Fade and World of Noise albums were some of the finest rock releases of the Nineties.

hell ya. sparkle and fade is classic. and i don't think anyone could re-create the sound of world of noise. fire maple song is the best. and then every other cd after that was really, really, really bad.

definatly agree with elliott smith.

idk if you would consider this "rock" but i would say john mayer just cuz he gets this rep of "singer-songwriter" and just writing cute love songs, when he really should go down with legends like clapton, hendrix, and stevie ray vaugh.
    i gather speed...from u fucking with me

"i am the first man to shit my pants ya whew!"

its no crime to escape..theres still time to escape...theres still time so escape...

"yellow ledbetter is like the smoke after a 3 hour fuckfest" - 62strat

st.louis 04, chicago 06, and counting...
  • direwolf74direwolf74 Posts: 1,622
    Todd76 wrote:
    15) Hayden - when his debut album came out Spin said he was "the one" to watch.....too bad it never took off for him.

11) Eric's Trip - my FAVORITE band for many years

6) Sloan - "Twice Removed" should be required listening for everyone!

3) Sarah Harmer - one of the best songwriters i've ever heard......go download "Lodestar" and you'll be hooked

2) the Rheostatics - maybe Canada's BEST band, ever!!!!

Totally agree with these ones! If I may, I'd like to add a few thoughts:

Hayden- the guy is a fantastic songwriter. Simple, understated, and beautiful. "Everything I Long For" is one of my favorite albums of all time.

Sloan's "Twice Removed" is simply one of the greatest albums ever made, period.

Sarah Harmer- Totally agree regarding "Lodestar". That tune is songwriting perfection. In terms of craft, melody, lyrics, and hooks, it doesn't get much better than that.

The Rheostatics- What more can be said about these guys that I haven't said already in other threads. They're so unique that they're almost an alternative to the alternative...if that makes any sense.
    "I try my best to chug, stomp, weep, whisper, moan, wheeze, scat, blurt, rage, whine, and seduce. With my voice I can sound like a girl, the boogieman, a Theremin, a cherry bomb, a clown, a doctor, a murderer. I can be tribal. Ironic. Or disturbed. My voice is really my instrument."

-Tom Waits
  • Gary CarterGary Carter Posts: 14,067
    brain of c wrote:

barenaked ladies
    my first ever concert was BNL.
    goo goo dolls
    linkin park-these fuckers put on a dam good show
    kings x
    tragically hip- cant wait to see them live
    Ron: I just don't feel like going out tonight
    Sammi: Wanna just break up?

• 7. sloan
    has anybody had such a consistently strong catalogue in recent memory? rock and roll as fun as it comes.

I loooove Sloan and think that they are definetly underrated! And I agree with what you said about them being so fun which they really are. And they always surprise me with some pretty good lyrics here and there too which I dont usually expect at first. So yay for Sloan.
    Vancouver 09/02/05, so far so good
  • direwolf74direwolf74 Posts: 1,622
    10. tragically hip

I couldn't agree more. They've been kicking my ass for 20 years now, and it doesn't look like they're slowing down anytime soon. Not only are they great songwriters, but Gord Downie is easily one of the most brilliant lyricists of our generation. Their live show is arguably one of the best on the planet (right up there with Pearl Jam, Springsteen, and U2.) They rock harder than most bands half their age, and it's a travesty that they're not more well known in other parts of the world. Over the next couple of weeks they'll be opening for The Who, so perhaps that will help raise their profile south of the border. I highly recommend checking them out when they come through your town:

http://thehip.com/touring.html
    "I try my best to chug, stomp, weep, whisper, moan, wheeze, scat, blurt, rage, whine, and seduce. With my voice I can sound like a girl, the boogieman, a Theremin, a cherry bomb, a clown, a doctor, a murderer. I can be tribal. Ironic. Or disturbed. My voice is really my instrument."

-Tom Waits
  • soulsingingsoulsinging Posts: 13,202
    hell ya. sparkle and fade is classic. and i don't think anyone could re-create the sound of world of noise. fire maple song is the best. and then every other cd after that was really, really, really bad.

definatly agree with elliott smith.

idk if you would consider this "rock" but i would say john mayer just cuz he gets this rep of "singer-songwriter" and just writing cute love songs, when he really should go down with legends like clapton, hendrix, and stevie ray vaugh.

i think he'd definitely fit into what i had in mind for the thread. he does get dismissed as the original pussy daniel-powter thing. ive heard im selling him short and that his work with the john mayer trio is pretty amazing. i might have to give it a chance sometime... i just cannot stand his voice usually and the lyrics ive heard from him are atrocious.
  • soulsingingsoulsinging Posts: 13,202
    direwolf74 wrote:
    I couldn't agree more. They've been kicking my ass for 20 years now, and it doesn't look like they're slowing down anytime soon. Not only are they great songwriters, but Gord Downie is easily one of the most brilliant lyricists of our generation. Their live show is arguably one of the best on the planet (right up there with Pearl Jam, Springsteen, and U2.) They rock harder than most bands half their age, and it's a travesty that they're not more well known in other parts of the world. Over the next couple of weeks they'll be opening for The Who, so perhaps that will help raise their profile south of the border. I highly recommend checking them out when they come through your town:

http://thehip.com/touring.html

no way am i dropping $75 to see a 45 minue hip set followed by some old fossils pretending they can still rock despite only having half their band left alive. ive seen the hip twice, and an opening set would simply not be enough ;)
  • larslars Posts: 524
    I thought the thread was about underrated bands? What does oasis, faith no more, sonic youth, linkin park, goo goo dolls, primus, the roots, ben harper, creedance, silverchair have to do with underrated? They just had their time....they were never underratted
    You can´t trust a vegetarian.
  • Has to be the Twilight Singers, Powder Burns was one of the best albums last year imo. Blackberry Belle is also a fantastic album, they seem to crop up a few times on this board because of their live shows, which are unbelievable. Check em out! :)
    no additives, preservatives, or artificial colouring
  • lars wrote:
    I thought the thread was about underrated bands? What does oasis, faith no more, sonic youth, linkin park, goo goo dolls, primus, the roots, ben harper, creedance, silverchair have to do with underrated? They just had their time....they were never underratted
    Oasis was explained.. Americans don't really give two shits about them unless they're playing Wonderwall.

Primus is virtually unknown unless you're into weird music..

Harper could use a little more recognition..

Sonic Youth has ALWAYS been underrated and I don't see that changing.. Brilliant music that's wayyyyyyy too weird for the average joe.

"Make our day"
  • parel jamparel jam Posts: 7,223
    I guess The Tragically Hip is very underrated in Europe...
    ♪♫♪♫♫

http://youtube.com/watch?v=U_-WGNRyRzU

♪♫♪♫♫
  • Jeremy1012Jeremy1012 Posts: 7,170
    Husker Du - My current favourite band (I listen more than PJ at the moment), just amazing. Bob Mould is the most underrated songwriter around.

Fugazi - one of the few truly "indie" bands. Ian MacKaye has done more for music than people realise.
    "I remember one night at Muzdalifa with nothing but the sky overhead, I lay awake amid sleeping Muslim brothers and I learned that pilgrims from every land — every colour, and class, and rank; high officials and the beggar alike — all snored in the same language"
  • Big Sugar - Blues rock with some heavy dub-reggae bits added in. Their album Hemi-Vision is fabulous from top to bottom. They also have a killer version of Traffic's Dear Mr. Fantasy. They were big in Canada, but never seemed to catch on in the US.

Alvin Youngblood Hart - He seems famous for his acoustic blues albums, but he's a rocker at heart. Besides his own tunes and blues numbers, he's known to bust out tunes from Jimi, the Stones, Neil Young, Thin Lizzy, Free, and early ZZ Top on any given night. His latest disc, Motivational Speaker, is an amazing roots rock album with a version of In My Time of Dying that puts all others to shame.

Corrosion of Conformity - Hard rock/metal done right. These guys throw down a blend of metal with equal doses of hard core and southern boogie rock influences. They had some recognition in the mid 90's with Clean My Wounds and some tunes off of Wiseblood, but the radio soon left them behind. Their last album had Stanton Moore of Galactic doing some amazing work on the drums.

Local H - Guitar and drums duo from Chicago. They had some airplay in the mid-90's, but fell off the popular radar even though they continued to crank out solid albums. Any band that can pull off AC/DC, Chicago, Guided By Voices, Ramones, and Brittany Spears covers, with only two guys, and still rock, deserve more reknown. Go to archive.org and check out some of their live shows.

As mentioned above, the Black Crowes, Iron Maiden, and North Mississippi Allstars would all be on my list.

How about Frank Zappa?
  • GRIMMYGRIMMY Posts: 370
    My Selections are:

2. Ben Harper - Not really that well known outside of the Pearl Jam/Jack Johnson crowd. One of the most genuine performers in today's music.

3. The Roots - A critics favorite, but they get no airplay. They've even won a grammy without much exposure. The best live Hip-Hop band ever, potentially best Hip-Hop band period. http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=6mkTPw-ZRvg

I also agree that Sugar, Oasis, Elliott Smith, & Eric's Trip are all great underrated bands.
    I couldnt have wrote it better...
    grimmy
  • rage333rage333 Posts: 157
    1. Flaming Lips
    2 Yeah Yeah Yeahs
    3. Ben Harper
    4. Blind Melon
    5. PEARL JAM!!!
    6. Primus
    "when the power of love overcomes the love of power,the world will be at peace"-Jimi Hendrix
  • fuckfuck Posts: 4,069
    pearl jam is underrated, but that one is too easy to write.