bands you'd rather see live

i am a targeti am a target Posts: 808
edited September 2007 in Other Music
ok. given that pearl jam doesn't tour the small venues i (and most people i would argue) like to see bands at. what band would you rather see live? this also leads me to the thought..better live bands then pearl jam (that still tour)?

this is one of mine.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=h2iwlYYyLwE
Post edited by Unknown User on

Comments

• What the hell was that crap?
  • well. instead of offering another band or even some sort of semi articulate response you gave what i would consider the typical response to a simple question about *gasp* a band you'd rather see live then the infallible pearl jam.

the middle age bracket seems to have this place by the stones.
  • GmoneyGmoney Posts: 1,618
    hobbes wrote:
    well. instead of offering another band or even some sort of semi articulate response you gave what i would consider the typical response to a simple question about *gasp* a band you'd rather see live then the infallible pearl jam.

the middle age bracket seems to have this place by the stones.
    easy young feller.
    jk
    not bad.
    Further back and forth a wave will break on me, today...
  • bovy_jbovy_j Posts: 1,008
    Given I've only seen Pearl Jam in concert once, I can honestly say there is no band I would rather see live.

Not a fan of The Bronx.
  • Way to self promote......
    Bridge Benefit 1994, San Francisco 1995, San Diego 1995 1 & 2, Missoula 1998, Los Angeles 2000, San Diego 2000, Eddie Vedder/Beck 2/26/2002, Santa Barbara 2003, Irvine 2003, San Diego 2003, Vancouver 2005, Gorge 2005, San Diego 2006, Los Angeles 2006 1 & 2, Santa Barbara 2006, Eddie Vedder 4/10/08, Eddie Vedder 4/12/08, Eddie Vedder 4/15/08, 7/12/2008, SF 8/28/09, LA 9/30/09, LA 10/1/09, LA 10/06/09, LA 10/07/09, San Diego 10/09/09, Eddie Vedder 7/6/2011, Eddie Vedder 7/8/2011, PJ20 9/3/2011, PJ20 9/4/2011, Vancouver 9/25/2011, San Diego 11/21/13, LA 11/24/13, Ohana 9/25/21, Ohana 9/26/21, Ohana 10/1/21, EV 2/17/22, LA Forum 5/6/22, LA Forum 5/7/22, EV 10/1/22, EV 9/30/23
  • hobbes wrote:
    ok. given that pearl jam doesn't tour the small venues i (and most people i would argue) like to see bands at. what band would you rather see live? this also leads me to the thought..better live bands then pearl jam (that still tour)?

this is one of mine.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=h2iwlYYyLwE

Who would I rather see live? Tough question for this forum. There are not many bands currently touring (that are relevant) that can top them- in my humble opinion. If I must answer though;

A totally different mental and musical experience but just as incredible live would be Tool. Similiar in one sense to Pearl Jam in that they have some truly dedictated fans that will fight tooth and nail against any "grenade throwers"...

Peace.
  • bovy_j wrote:
    Given I've only seen Pearl Jam in concert once, I can honestly say there is no band I would rather see live.

Not a fan of The Bronx.

not a single one?

lets say that pearl jam is playing two hours away and (some other band you love) is playing at a small venue ten minutes from where you are...you would go see pearl jam?

keep in mind that i love pearl jam. they're one of my favorite bands (if not my favorite). but it's getting to the point now where i know practically all the songs they're going to play. the core setlists haven't been changed all that much over the last two tours. daughter. corduroy. RITFW. RVM. betterman. last kiss. i could have gone to the gorge shows and had great seats with my ten club number. it's the first time they've played within a reasonable distance and i decided not to go.

i would rather go see any of these bands play:

wolf parade
    tv on the radio
    the walkmen
    the bronx
    the briefs
    ted leo
    ryan adams
    lcd soundsystem
    black rebel motorcycle club
  • Way to self promote......

self promote what exactly? the whole sailor jerry thing? that just happened to be the best live clip i could find.
  • KillTaker wrote:
    Who would I rather see live? Tough question for this forum. There are not many bands currently touring (that are relevant) that can top them- in my humble opinion. If I must answer though;

A totally different mental and musical experience but just as incredible live would be Tool. Similiar in one sense to Pearl Jam in that they have some truly dedictated fans that will fight tooth and nail against any "grenade throwers"...

Peace.

but one could argue that pearl jam hasn't been relevant for many years now. i'm talking about a band that YOU LOVE right now. the world might forget them in ten years but they currently blow you away live.
  • black rebel motorcycle club!
  • bovy_jbovy_j Posts: 1,008
    hobbes wrote:
    not a single one?

lets say that pearl jam is playing two hours away and (some other band you love) is playing at a small venue ten minutes from where you are...you would go see pearl jam?

keep in mind that i love pearl jam. they're one of my favorite bands (if not my favorite). but it's getting to the point now where i know practically all the songs they're going to play. the core setlists haven't been changed all that much over the last two tours. daughter. corduroy. RITFW. RVM. betterman. last kiss. i could have gone to the gorge shows and had great seats with my ten club number. it's the first time they've played within a reasonable distance and i decided not to go.

i would rather go see any of these bands play:

wolf parade
    tv on the radio
    the walkmen
    the bronx
    the briefs
    ted leo
    ryan adams
    lcd soundsystem
    black rebel motorcycle club

I'd much rather travel 2 hours to go see Pearl Jam than any other band that is 10 minutes away.
  • white stripes are much more intense live ,so is ben harper,
    brad was great live,and hovercraft,mudhoney etc
    "shes stoned said the swede, and the
    mooncalf agreed" THe BANd
  • TaftTaft Posts: 454
    There is an ENTIRE forum on this website titled "Other Music", why not ask this question there?
  • not a big fan of that bronx stuff...good energy, but i didn't get much of a sense of nearly the kind of cohesion and nearly-effortless live charm pearl jam has, even on their most 'off' night--if there is such a thing for them. i doubt i'd go see any other show if pearl jam was playing within a day's driving distance of me, but if worse came to absolute worse....i guess i'd like to see wolfmother again, they were a pretty fun show. silversun pickups put on a pretty good show as well the last time i saw them.
    Do you see the way that tree bends?
    Does it inspire?
    Leaning out to catch the sun's rays...
    A lesson to be applied.

Best night of my life. . .
    Noblesville, IN 06-22-03.

myspace.com/justonemorebottle
  • http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=3g_3pKBNUzs
    Prospect Hill, love this young band. About the same as Pearl Jam who are tops in my book. Love them both. PROSPECT HILL opening for PEARL JAM, I would like see that. At least the next Boston shows! Check out the song, "Break Down". It's a showstopper.
  • I saw Tool in 2001 and it wasn't as good as even the worst Pearl Jam concert I've seen. The show was visually stunning but they were some of the lamest dudes I've ever watched onstage.

Tom Waits puts on an equally good show. I caught him last year and he was untouchable. I don't know if I'd rather see him than Pearl Jam now that I've seen him, but man, he's up there.

A few I'd really like to see now are Gnarls Barkley and Bruce Springsteen. An old band that might have given PJ a run for their money would be the Miles Davis Quintet of 65-68.

None of these douchy indie rock bands are even in the same ballpark.
  • SchokiSchoki Posts: 5,072
    Mother Tongue

one of the two best live acts i´ve seen aNd the other one is PJ. Seems like everytime they play they explode on stage. They are able combine their and their music´s energy without basically any show effects except pouring a red wine over their bodies. Great musicians , too. And they know how to interact with their audience and drink a beer or two afterwards with their fans. Awesome band.
  • have every single thing the bronx have released..they are the best thing called punk that has came out in recent history
    Fav. Bands
    My Morning Jacket
    Pearl Jam
    Neil Young
    Wilco
    Tool
    Rush
    Drive By Truckers

pj shows
    8/17/98
    8/15/00
    8/18/00
    8/20/00
    6/22/03
    10/2/04
    8/5/07
  • HorosHoros Posts: 4,518
    I've seen over 50 different ands and would still love to see PJ the most.

That said, right now I would love to see The White Stripes.
    #FHP
  • LukinFanLukinFan Posts: 29,040
    bovy_j wrote:
    I'd much rather travel 2 hours to go see Pearl Jam than any other band that is 10 minutes away.
    yes!
    www.RLMcDaniel.com

1996: Ft Lauderdale
    1998: Birmingham
    2000: Charlotte, Tampa
    2003: Tampa, Atlanta, Phoenix
    2004: Kissimmee
    2008: West Palm Beach, Bonnaroo, Columbia
    2010: MSG2
    2012: Music Midtown
    2014: Memphis
    2016: Ft. Lauderdale, Miami, Jacksonville, JazzFest
    2018: Wrigley 1, Fenway 1
    2022: Nashville
    2023: Ft. Worth II
  • mookie9999mookie9999 Posts: 4,677
    laudenum wrote:
    so is ben harper,
    brad was great live,and hovercraft,mudhoney etc

Ben Harper is many wonderful things, but more intense than Pearl Jam? As far as Hovercraft, it was fun as a concept, but after seeing them three times I could definitely go with never seeing them again (if they still existed). Agree with Brad and Mudhoney!
    "The leads are weak!"

"The leads are weak? Fuckin' leads are weak? You're Weak! I've Been in this business 15 years"

"What's your name?"

"FUCK YOU! THAT"S MY NAME!"
    you know i have a great job and have seen nearly every band ive ever wanted to see, except all the cool old ones, jimi, led zep, ect... i'd have to say that the best other live bands I've seen are Rage, 311, and The Roots.
  • mookie9999 wrote:
    Ben Harper is many wonderful things, but more intense than Pearl Jam? As far as Hovercraft, it was fun as a concept, but after seeing them three times I could definitely go with never seeing them again (if they still existed). Agree with Brad and Mudhoney!
    my mistake.....i thought other than pj. yes will agree pj is perhaps the best live band going.
    i do wish i knew what happened to hovercraft though.excellent musicians.
    they must still be involved in music some way?
    "shes stoned said the swede, and the
    mooncalf agreed" THe BANd
  • Wilco
    EV Bridgeschool - October 24, 2004
    San Francisco - July 15/16/18, 2006 Bridgeschool - October 21/22, 2006
    Lollapalooza - August 5,2007
    EV Berkley - April 7/8, 2008 The Who Rock Honors - July 12, 2008
    Outside Lands - August 28, 2009 Seattle - September 21/22, 2009 San Diego - October 9, 2009
  • A totally different mental and musical experience but just as incredible live would be Tool. Similiar in one sense to Pearl Jam in that they have some truly dedictated fans that will fight tooth and nail against any "grenade throwers"...

Peace.

Hmmmm, 5 years ago I would have agreed, but have you seen them on their latest tour?? Talk about going through the motions...
  • PROSPECT HILL "Break Down"
    http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=3g_3pKBNUzs

STATE RADIO "Camillo"
    A song about a friend of the band an Iraq war vet who decided not to go back.
    http://youtube.com/watch?v=7BkvRnUZJys

ROADSTEAMER
    Boston comedy rock act. Lead singer Robby Roadsteamer is becoming quite a local legend. He almost interviewed PEARL JAM on WBCN 104.1 FM where he is a part time personality but something I think the station had second thoughts and wanted to protect the band! Haha. He mocks everything and all especially himself and people he likes but recently has become a nicer guy and made truces and those people more popular locally that he picked fights with. Check him out, always funny.
    http://myspace.com/robbyroadsteamer

I've seen hundreds and hundreds of new local mostly on indie or unsigned acts in last couple of years. There really is lots of good music. This stuff is a little more commercial but most of you still won't have heard of them. Watch all three blow up. It is already happening.
  • PegasusPegasus Posts: 3,754
    bovy_j wrote:
    no question there..you can make it 5 hours (and that's flying).

plenty of bands I'm happy to see again (Black Rebel Motorcycle Club, Ben Harper, Cold War Kids, Queens of the Stone Age, Eagles of Death Metal, Chris Cornell all seen this year, several times for some..and others I caught at festivals and happy to go check out on their own..State Radio one of hem)...but NONE above Pearl Jam.

No other band I know will make me fly to another continent, rarely even another country.
  • PegasusPegasus Posts: 3,754
    StevenC wrote:
    Hmmmm, 5 years ago I would have agreed, but have you seen them on their latest tour?? Talk about going through the motions...
    yes, last tour being this year, every show...no idea what you're talking about: Munich, London, Düsseldorf, Hurricane, Copenhagen, The Vic to name just the highlights? what motions?
    Pegasus wrote:
    yes, last tour being this year, every show...no idea what you're talking about: Munich, London, Düsseldorf, Hurricane, Copenhagen, The Vic to name just the highlights? what motions?
    he was talking about tool i believe...
  • soulsingingsoulsinging Posts: 13,202
    Way to self promote......

exactly what i was thinking... gotta be his own band.

anyway, pearl jam is pretty unbeatable live. but if we're talking bands still playing more intimate venues... brand new and the hold steady are a blast in concert. id also love to see silverchair... their 45 minutes at lolla were not nearly enough. they are so good live.