bands you'd rather see live

Comments

• ramborambo Posts: 170
    pearl jam= best live band ever
    st. john's newfoundland, sept 24/2005
    st. john's newfoundland, sept. 25/2005
  • LiftedLifted Posts: 1,836
    there's no show i'd rather be at than a pearl jam show. but there are some bands that are up there........

my morning jacket
    red hot chili peppers

and i've never seen these bands but would love too....

arcade fire
    wilco
    roger waters
    sonic youth
    flaming lips
    of montreal
  • i'll take pearl jam live over anyone else.

tool is definitely second on my list of active live acts, but i would never skip pearl jam to see tool if both bands were touring at the same time. part of the reason for this is because tool plays the same setlist every night, so i could just pick out a tool show (or two) that didn't interfere with any of pearl jam's shows. i wouldn't really be missing anything by doing this.

one of the advantages of living in the northeast is that there are almost always multiple dates to choose from.
  • Right now at small venues, Kings of Leon, BRMC, MMJ, Modest Mouse, QOTSA all great live.
    Tool and White Stripes for the somewhat larger venues.

I can't say that I'd rather see any of these bands over PJ right now. Although Tool, Modest Mouse and KOL I would not pass on if they came close. My favs my opinion.
    the Minions
  • Band of Horses...just saw them open for Modest Mouse. They had several songs they played off their new album coming out in October. I believe they are going to be quite popular pretty soon. Great live band.
    the Minions
  • maybe the doors(with morrison) or blind melon. but that is never gonna happen. fucking grim reaper.
  • well quite honestly there isn't one band i'd rather see right now...

but if i could go back in time i would enjoy the following:

AC/DC '79 (right before Bon Scott died)
    Led Zeppelin '79
    Stones in their prime
    The Who in their prime
    Neil Young Harvest tour
    Jimi Hendrix would be phenomenal
    Stevie Ray Vaughan prior to his death
    Steve Miller Band, prime
    MOTHER LOVE BONE!! (this one's a little bittersweet, for obvious reasons)
    Alice in Chains prior to Layne Stayley's death
    I guess The Beatles just to say I did, not a huge huge fan though..
    Nirvana prior to Kurt Cobains death
    Chili Peppers before they became generic...
    Metallica back around Master of Puppets
    Traffic, now that's going back a ways...
    Aerosmith, prior to the drug problems... they were on drugs when they were the best, but it wasn't exactly a problem at the time lol..

... man i could go on, but you get the idea
    Camden 7-5-2003, Camden 7-6-2003, Hershey 7-12-2003, Camden 5-27-2006, Camden 5-28-2006, Lollapalooza 8-5-2007, Camden 6-19-2008, Camden 6-20-2008, New York 6-24-2008, New York 6-25-2008, Mansfield 6-28-2008, Mansfield 6-30-2008
  • UpSideDownUpSideDown Posts: 1,966
    this post does not make sense in my head.

there is no other band i would rather see. ever
  • i wish i was in the bronx. and believe me that if i was this would be the last place on the internet i would come to promote my band. i've been reading this board for five years or more now and at times i find myself ashamed to be a pearl jam fan simply because i'm afraid that i might be associated with the likes of some of you. i truly hope none of the band members visit here. but if they did they would see middle aged dogmatic hippies stinking of pretense and self righteousness.

a perfect example is the thread involving someone who says he doesn't like neil young. because if eddie loves it then you better love it too!
  • zeppelin with bonham or blind melon with hoon would be the only two bands i'd have to consider seeing instead of pearl jam if on the same night and maybe jane's addiction. it would be a really realy hard decision though i'd probably choose zeppelin. blind melon could open, fuck that would be a dream show.
    Oh dear dad
    Can you see me now
    I am myself
    Like you somehow
    I'll ride the wave
    Where it takes me
    I'll hold the pain
    Release me
  • hobbes wrote:
    not a single one?

lets say that pearl jam is playing two hours away and (some other band you love) is playing at a small venue ten minutes from where you are...you would go see pearl jam?

keep in mind that i love pearl jam. they're one of my favorite bands (if not my favorite). but it's getting to the point now where i know practically all the songs they're going to play. the core setlists haven't been changed all that much over the last two tours. daughter. corduroy. RITFW. RVM. betterman. last kiss. i could have gone to the gorge shows and had great seats with my ten club number. it's the first time they've played within a reasonable distance and i decided not to go.

i would rather go see any of these bands play:

wolf parade
    tv on the radio
    the walkmen
    the bronx
    the briefs
    ted leo
    ryan adams
    lcd soundsystem
    black rebel motorcycle club

I was at Wembley and no Daughter RVM Corduroy Betterman Last Kiss.....or EVEN FLOW!!Set list totally shocked me and blew me away, I mean Lowlight,Faithfull,Long Road,Immortality,Indifference,I Got Shit...etc,unreal.
    'All the rusted signs,we ignore throughout our lives,
    Choosing the shiny ones instead'

Reading 06 - Torino 06 - Wembley 07
  • Other than PJ the only bands I would go out of my way to see are Grant Lee Phillips,KOL,Neil Young and Radiohead, plus John Martyn a few years back as it has become too hit and miss .
    'All the rusted signs,we ignore throughout our lives,
    Choosing the shiny ones instead'

Reading 06 - Torino 06 - Wembley 07
  • glasshouseglasshouse Posts: 1,762
    this post does not make sense in my head.

there is no other band i would rather see. ever

:D

my thoughts exactly
    Athens, Greece: 2006/09/30

"Call me Ishmael. Some years ago- never mind how long precisely- having little or no money in my purse, and nothing particular to interest me on shore, I thought I would sail about a little and see the watery part of the world." Herman Melville : Moby Dick
  • Well, for one thing...I'd rather go back in time and see pj in 1994 than pj today.

;)
  • well quite honestly there isn't one band i'd rather see right now...

but if i could go back in time i would enjoy the following:

AC/DC '79 (right before Bon Scott died)
    Led Zeppelin '79
    Stones in their prime
    The Who in their prime
    Neil Young Harvest tour
    Jimi Hendrix would be phenomenal
    Stevie Ray Vaughan prior to his death
    Steve Miller Band, prime
    MOTHER LOVE BONE!! (this one's a little bittersweet, for obvious reasons)
    Alice in Chains prior to Layne Stayley's death
    I guess The Beatles just to say I did, not a huge huge fan though..
    Nirvana prior to Kurt Cobains death
    Chili Peppers before they became generic...
    Metallica back around Master of Puppets
    Traffic, now that's going back a ways...
    Aerosmith, prior to the drug problems... they were on drugs when they were the best, but it wasn't exactly a problem at the time lol..

... man i could go on, but you get the idea

The Beatles, if they played the trippy stuff, would be absolutely mindblowing.

I would rather see Zeppelin in the heyday as opposed to their way out the door, but some bootlegs from '80 indicated that they may have a second coming before the first even ended.

79 is probably thier weakest touring year. You'd get an excellent variety of songs, but 73-75 woulda been amazing.

Henry Rollins
    "I seen them on the Physical Graffiti tour. They opened with Kashmir and I felt like I got ran over by a Mack truck."
  • radiohead...hands down. In my opinion, the best live band out there....listen to any glastonbury show, they own the crowd, and how they mix the kid a/amnesiac with the guitar stuff is awesome.

I have to agree though, I hate arena shows, and if pearl jam was in town, and say, minus the bear were playing a small club gig, I'd see minus the bear...I hate the detachment from the audience at an arena gig......

oh yeah, now i'm an animal!
  • hobbes wrote:
    but one could argue that pearl jam hasn't been relevant for many years now. i'm talking about a band that YOU LOVE right now. the world might forget them in ten years but they currently blow you away live.

From a touring and musical perspective (vs. the current landscape) Pearl Jam is still very relevent; in many, many ways. This is not coming from a disjointed hyperfans perspective either. Pearl Jam isn't relative because *I* like them live.. And the world may very well forget them in ten years- but that wasn't the question.
  • SlowFade wrote:
    I have to agree though, I hate arena shows, and if pearl jam was in town, and say, minus the bear were playing a small club gig, I'd see minus the bear...I hate the detachment from the audience at an arena gig......

I never understood that sentiment, until I first moved to Chicago a few years ago. Back then, my husband and I would go to about a show a week (at least), and about 99% of the time, these shows were at little clubs. It's a much more engaging and exciting experience than your typical arena show.

However, there are times when the artist(s) on stage can either recreate the intimacy of a club show, or even replace it altogether with something engaging or exciting in a different way.
  • hobbes wrote:
    the middle age bracket seems to have this place by the stones.
    Totally agree.

Isis:
    http://youtube.com/watch?v=EricOG-K2ZQ

Dredg:
    http://youtube.com/watch?v=wQM5GqxRAYs
  • hobbes wrote:
    i wish i was in the bronx. and believe me that if i was this would be the last place on the internet i would come to promote my band. i've been reading this board for five years or more now and at times i find myself ashamed to be a pearl jam fan simply because i'm afraid that i might be associated with the likes of some of you. i truly hope none of the band members visit here. but if they did they would see middle aged dogmatic hippies stinking of pretense and self righteousness.

a perfect example is the thread involving someone who says he doesn't like neil young. because if eddie loves it then you better love it too!
    Yeah, sadly this seems to be common to many band forums like this. The Tool forum is the same way. If Maynard Keenan is associated in any way with something, it is considered genius material.

But I think there are always a few people on the forums who are trying to make some new discoveries, and talk about the present and what's relevant. Some days you find them, some days you don't and it makes you sick.
  • I have been to over 60 concerts in my young life 20 of them are PJ as much as I love a PJ show and I do traveled to the left coast to see 'em I have to admit I would much rather see: LIVE, Collective Soul, Ben Harper, Boy Hits Car, Pink Floyd (if they tour...ever) Genesis (if I had tix on this tour) Rush, Norah Jones, Amos Lee, etc.....
    Philly '98 '00 (1 & 2) '03 '06 (1 & 2) '08 (1 & 2)
    East Rutherford '98
    Merriweather '98
    Gorge '05
    Vancouver '05
    Los Angeles I,II '06
    Santa Barbara '06
    Fonda Theater '06
  • hobbes wrote:
    i've been reading this board for five years or more now and at times i find myself ashamed to be a pearl jam fan simply because i'm afraid that i might be associated with the likes of some of you.

Someone on here...I think it was Soulsinging...said it best when he compared them to trekkies. ;):D

It's a real turn-off, I gotta say.
  • PegasusPegasus Posts: 3,754
    Gmoney wrote:
    he was talking about tool i believe...
    :o
    Right now at small venues, Kings of Leon[...]
    they're playing Wembley Arena in December, same venue PJ did this June (ok didn't sell out as quick, still not quite sold out even I think)..

got to admit though..I've never been more than .. ok maybe 20 yards from the stage at a PJ show, no matter what the venue, thanks to GA (and 10c tickets though they just get me a bit closer than I do anyway without them)..so I get the best of both worlds: proximity from the stage like a club and the size of a big (arena, stadium, festival) crowd for atmosphere.
  • Well, I have seen PJ a few times so I definitely would go to other shows prior to seeing PJ, especially considering the venues you have to see PJ at. I am not a huge fan of the megasized amphitheaters or the basketball arenas to see a show.
  • The one time this happened to me I picked the other bill
    Vote for change - Bruce/REM etc instead of PJ/Death Cab
    Tough choice, but as I hadn't seen the Boss before

Had a lot of 2nd thoughts stuck on I4 listening to boots on our way to the show especially as we passed the Kissimmee exit

Depends on the show/venure but if Radiohead or PJ harvey were playing same night, then I might pick them/her over PJ

If it was an MSG show, there'd be no way I'd miss it

woo hoo, i'm a dissident!!!!
    '96 7 shows / '97 3 shows / '98 15 shows
    '00 12 shows / '03 4 shows / '06 6 shows
    '08 3 shows / '09 5 shows / '10 6 shows
  • if i had to make a choice...i'd probably go to see:

bjork - just to check it off my life-long list :)
    tom vek
    hot chip
    band of horses...again
    cold war kids...again - can't beat "st. john" live.
    tv on the radio...again!!
    kings of leon
    modest mouse
    phoenix...do they even tour?
    sigur ros
    the shins
    ryan adams

just to name a few ;)
    yes...i do feel like a human. i do not feel like a tree.
  • g under pg under p Posts: 18,183
    THE BLACK SCORPIANS......a metal band out of Iraq. The band members have use generators to run their amps.

Peace
    *We CAN bomb the World to pieces, but we CAN'T bomb it into PEACE*...Michael Franti

*MUSIC IS the expression of EMOTION.....and that POLITICS IS merely the DECOY of PERCEPTION*
    .....song_Music & Politics....Michael Franti

*The scientists of today think deeply instead of clearly. One must be sane to think clearly, but one can think deeply and be quite INSANE*....Nikola Tesla(a man who shaped our world of electricity with his futuristic inventions)

• Pearl Jam
    Radiohead
    Pink Floyd
    The Mars Volta
    Los Natas
    ...can´t wear my mask, your first my last...
  • SENROCKSENROCK Posts: 10,736
    i wouldnt choose to see ANYONE rather than PEARL JAM. However.....i really enjoy KoRn and Motley Crue shows so those are nexxxt in line~
    ~~~~~~ALWAYS HAVE A GOOD TIME~~~~~~
    Sir Mike McCready is....THE MASTER!!! WAHHH!!!
    EVENFLOW PSYCHOS H.N.I.C~FEEL THE FLOW!!!

"Pearl Jam fans are obsessed, they'd see the boys in HELL if tickets were sold."-CROJAM95

It takes balls to put out a UKE album!
  • glasshouseglasshouse Posts: 1,762
    i'll absolutely love to see radiohead live. Mastodon as well.
    but, lets say Radiohead are playing in a venue 10 minutes drive from my home, and at the same time pj are jamming some 5 hours away - let me just say hopefully i'll catch radiohead some other day.
    no contest.
    Athens, Greece: 2006/09/30

"Call me Ishmael. Some years ago- never mind how long precisely- having little or no money in my purse, and nothing particular to interest me on shore, I thought I would sail about a little and see the watery part of the world." Herman Melville : Moby Dick