10 Album Everyone Should Listen To Before They Croak?

Comments

• intodeepintodeep Posts: 7,228
    Oh, Jimmy wrote:
    Neutral Milk Hotel? what's their style?

I'm not sure how to classify their style. Many people jate the singer's voice. I don't mind it and i love the lyrics. In an Areoplane over the sea was good on my first listen but after 10 listens i really saw something great in it. Love that album.

Off the top of my head:

Pink Floyd- Animals
    Miles Davis- Kind of blue
    Wilco- Yankee Hotel Foxtrot
    Pearl Jam- No Code
    Neil Young- On the Beach
    Sigur Ros- ( )
    Flaming Lips- Soft Bulletin
    Bruce Springsteen- Nebraska
    Sonic Youth- Daydream Nation
    Pantera- Vulgar Display of Power

I am sure later i'll think of other albums that deserve it more. The one that i really think anyone who likes any kind of music should not go their entire life without hearing though is Miles Davis's Kind of Blue. That album has a feeling about it that is majestic.
    Charlotte 00
    Charlotte 03
    Asheville 04
    Atlanta 12
    Greenville 16, Columbia 16
    Seattle 18 
    Nashville 22
  • IMO ten albums to hear before you croak....

1, Led Zep - 4 Symbols
    2, Beatles - Sgt Pepper
    3, Metallica - 'Black' album
    4, Pantera - Comboys from hell
    5, Pearl Jam - Ten
    6, Alanis Morrisette - Jagged Little Pill
    7, Oasis - (What's the Story?) Morning Glory
    8, NIN - Pretty Hate Machine
    9, Elton John - Goodbye Yellowbrick Road
    10, Pink Floyd - The Wall

*Edit* can I have 11? I'll have 11...

11, Mother Love Bone - Apple/Shine combo :D
    Been to this many PJ shows: Reading 2006 London 2007 Manchester & London 2009 Dublin, Belfast, London, Nijmegen & Berlin 2010 Manchester 1 & Manchester 2 2012...

... and I still think Drive-By Truckers are better.
  • BinFrogBinFrog Posts: 7,309
    g under p wrote:

Joe Satriani.....ENGINES OF CREATION

I love Satch, but I wouldn't put this album anywhere near the list of albums I'd recommend of his.
    Bright eyed kid: "Wow Typo Man, you're the best!"
    Typo Man: "Thanks kidz, but remembir, stay in skool!"
  • ByrnzieByrnzie Posts: 21,037
    I forgot to mention The Modern Lovers first album 'The Modern Lovers'. A true classic.
  • g under pg under p Posts: 18,183
    BinFrog wrote:
    I love Satch, but I wouldn't put this album anywhere near the list of albums I'd recommend of his.

Oh I know, I just wanted to choose one that I liked and liked even better when he rocked live in concert. Each one his albums has a track that is just out of this world and that album for stands out in more ways than one for me. I had a great date for that show too. :D

Peace
    *We CAN bomb the World to pieces, but we CAN'T bomb it into PEACE*...Michael Franti

*MUSIC IS the expression of EMOTION.....and that POLITICS IS merely the DECOY of PERCEPTION*
    .....song_Music & Politics....Michael Franti

*The scientists of today think deeply instead of clearly. One must be sane to think clearly, but one can think deeply and be quite INSANE*....Nikola Tesla(a man who shaped our world of electricity with his futuristic inventions)

• fadafada Posts: 1,032
    The beatles sgt Pepper
    The who Quadrophenia
    Oasis Whats the story morning glory
    Jimi Hendrix Electric Ladyland
    rory Gallagher Irish Tour
    Ocean Colour Scene Mosley Shoals
    Led Zeppelin LED Zeppelin|
    The beach boys pet sounds
    Crosby stills and nash Crosby stills and nash
    Pearl Jam Ten
  • Ten - Pearl Jam
    Siamese Dream - Smashing Pumpkins
    Weezer (Blue) - Weezer
    Dookie - Green Day
    Nevermind - Nirvana
    Smash - Offspring
    Jar of Flies - Alice in Chains
    Sailing the Seas of Cheese - Primus
    Life is Peachy - Korn
    Blind Melon - Blind Melon

These are ten of the greatest albums of the early ninties, and it spans a wide variety of stylings also.
  • jamie ukjamie uk Posts: 3,812
    AC/DC- Powerage
    Pearl Jam- Riot Act
    Metallica- Master of Puppets
    Led Zeppelin - IV
    Damien Rice- 9
    Temple of the Dog
    Love- Forever Changes
    U2-The Joshua Tree
    Soungarden-Badmotorfinger
    Iron Maiden-Iron Maiden

Ten that came to mind. I'm sure I'd shuffle if given more time.juk
    I came, I saw, I concurred.....
  • Forever Changes is one of my favourites. I was lucky to see Arthur Lee live once. A bit crackers, but still great.
    Forever Changes is one of my favourites. I was lucky to see Arthur Lee live once. A bit crackers, but still great.

Me too Fins, I saw him in Brecon about 3 years back, I was sat in the front row and he was just sensational. An absolute legend, and sadly missed. I got this Forever Changes concert cd from Royal festival hall, and that's pretty cool an'all.
  • jamie uk wrote:
    Me too Fins, I saw him in Brecon about 3 years back, I was sat in the front row and he was just sensational. An absolute legend, and sadly missed. I got this Forever Changes concert cd from Royal festival hall, and that's pretty cool an'all.

Must be the same tour. He cancelled a lot of gigs halfway through, right? Just before he was diagnosed with leukemia?
  • Oh, Jimmy wrote:
    Led Zeppelin-Presence
    Pink Floyd-Animals
    Pearl Jam-Yield
    Tool-Aenima
    Rush-2112
    Black Crowes-The Southern Harmony and the Musical Companion
    Beatles-Revolver
    GnR-Appetite For Destruction
    The Mars Volta-Amputechture
    Jimi Hendrix Experience-Electric Ladyland

the fact that you have Rush on here completely discredits the entire list...:)
    I'll dig a tunnel
    from my window to yours
    Must be the same tour. He cancelled a lot of gigs halfway through, right? Just before he was diagnosed with leukemia?
    I'm not sure, but I 've got a t-shirt from it, I'll check some time. They were coming back and forth a lot for a year or two back then, he was making up for lost time I guess. I got him on youtube right now, cracking it is, for sure.

http://youtube.com/watch?v=2tQspFesT3E
  • catefrancescatefrances Posts: 29,003
    keep the suggestions coming guys. you're providing me with my sunday listening pleasure.

*she runs off to her room to pull some love off the shelves* :)
    hear my name
    take a good look
    this could be the day
    hold my hand
    lie beside me
    i just need to say
  • LukinFanLukinFan Posts: 29,040
    I disagree with alot of those, not even the best of some of those bands
    yeah, and Rush sucks!
    www.RLMcDaniel.com

1996: Ft Lauderdale
    1998: Birmingham
    2000: Charlotte, Tampa
    2003: Tampa, Atlanta, Phoenix
    2004: Kissimmee
    2008: West Palm Beach, Bonnaroo, Columbia
    2010: MSG2
    2012: Music Midtown
    2014: Memphis
    2016: Ft. Lauderdale, Miami, Jacksonville, JazzFest
    2018: Wrigley 1, Fenway 1
    2022: Nashville
    2023: Ft. Worth II
    keep the suggestions coming guys. you're providing me with my sunday listening pleasure.

*she runs off to her room to pull some love off the shelves* :)

Well Cate i don't know how you are for old school heavy metal, but after hearing Mcready waxing lyrical about the Scorpions on the new dvd, I went and dragged 'Blackout' from the back of my shelves this afternoon. Wooow, cracking stuff, perfect for my little workout!! Not everyones cuppa though.
    jamie uk wrote:
    Well Cate i don't know how you are for old school heavy metal, but after hearing Mcready waxing lyrical about the Scorpions on the new dvd, I went and dragged 'Blackout' from the back of my shelves this afternoon. Wooow, cracking stuff, perfect for my little workout!! Not everyones cuppa though.

well jamie, i dont feel for old school metal AT ALL. :)
    hear my name
    take a good look
    this could be the day
    hold my hand
    lie beside me
    i just need to say
  • Jane's Addiction-Nothing's Shocking
    Nirvana-In Utero
    Foo Fighters-There is Nothing Left to Lose
    Alice in Chains-Jar of Flies
    Primus-Tales From the Punchbowl
    Guns n' Roses-Appetite for Destruction
    Smashing Pumpkins-Mellon Collie and the Infinite Sadness
    Red Hot Chili Peppers-Blood Sugar Sex Magik
    Pearl Jam-Ten
    No Doubt-Return of Saturn
    well jamie, i dont feel for old school metal AT ALL. :)
    Well it was my adolecent years Cate, weened on ac/dc, scorpions, maiden,saxon and so on, so it's deep within me. Doesn't very often come to the fore these days, but you know how it is...a bit like your first, erm, time...you never forget it. Mind, I don't know about remembering the first time,....I'm struggling to remember the last time!!!
    jamie uk wrote:
    Well it was my adolecent years Cate, weened on ac/dc, scorpions, maiden,saxon and so on, so it's deep within me. Doesn't very often come to the fore these days, but you know how it is...a bit like your first, erm, time...you never forget it. Mind, I don't know about remembering the first time,....I'm struggling to remember the last time!!!

alls i know jamie is for me neil young was involved. ;):p

HARVEST. everyone should hear that one.
    hear my name
    take a good look
    this could be the day
    hold my hand
    lie beside me
    i just need to say
  • You can say anything you want about Rush, but the fact is the only thing that anybody can complain about is Geddy Lee's voice. Most of the time, for me at least, the hooks come from the music.
    alls i know jamie is for me neil young was involved. ;):p

HARVEST. everyone should hear that one.
    I love Mr Young, but it was only through Pearl Jam's introduction for me, I was 21 by then. But I am a big,big fan, in fact I always say he's the only performer that I want to see, and haven't managed it. I remember 1993 he headlined an all dayer in London and PJ were on the bill, but we'd just bought our first house and I was brassic! And trying to become house trained, so I missed out. Can't imagine I'll get a chance now, pity that. I know someone who saw him at the Bridge School thing twice, and apparently he's awesome, but then I wouldn't expect anything less.
    jamie uk wrote:
    I love Mr Young, but it was only through Pearl Jam's introduction for me, I was 21 by then. But I am a big,big fan, in fact I always say he's the only performer that I want to see, and haven't managed it. I remember 1993 he headlined an all dayer in London and PJ were on the bill, but we'd just bought our first house and I was brassic! And trying to become house trained, so I missed out. Can't imagine I'll get a chance now, pity that. I know someone who saw him at the Bridge School thing twice, and apparently he's awesome, but then I wouldn't expect anything less.

well jamie, just between you and me, neil young helped me pop my cherry. he is the most constant artist in my life. its been 28 years now.
    hear my name
    take a good look
    this could be the day
    hold my hand
    lie beside me
    i just need to say
    well jamie, just between you and me, neil young helped me pop my cherry. he is the most constant artist in my life. its been 28 years now.
    Well, Cate Frances!! I don't wanna know such details, ok then pm me the details if you really must!! haha
    jamie uk wrote:
    Well, Cate Frances!! I don't wanna know such details, ok then pm me the details if you really must!! haha

sorry babe. that's all you're gonna get. :)
    hear my name
    take a good look
    this could be the day
    hold my hand
    lie beside me
    i just need to say
    sorry babe. that's all you're gonna get. :)
    Shock horror, the girl Frances gets coy!!

Btw, I got 'O' on now, I remember it well....intense, I love every breath of it!
    jamie uk wrote:
    Shock horror, the girl Frances gets coy!!

Btw, I got 'O' on now, I remember it well....intense, I love every breath of it!

i'm onto love now. might get me a litttle damien later. ;):p:)
    hear my name
    take a good look
    this could be the day
    hold my hand
    lie beside me
    i just need to say
    i'm onto love now. might get me a litttle damien later. ;):p:)
    You like Love also? They're cool, I got into them from seeing Robert Plant doing some cover shows 7 years back, he's really into them, he went over to NY to play at the benefit show for Arthur last year, such a shame about the old guy going like that just after he was geting some long deserved recognition.
    jamie uk wrote:
    You like Love also? They're cool, I got into them from seeing Robert Plant doing some cover shows 7 years back, he's really into them, he went over to NY to play at the benefit show for Arthur last year, such a shame about the old guy going like that just after he was geting some long deserved recognition.

like love. hahaha. :D:p

who's robert plant?
    hear my name
    take a good look
    this could be the day
    hold my hand
    lie beside me
    i just need to say
    like love. hahaha. :D:p

who's robert plant?

Pah!! You're drinking there now, aren't you?