5 more days till Chris Cornells new album comes out!!!

Comments

• lars wrote:
    go buttplug yourself

I really shouldn't even bother responding to this...

But! What exactly are you hoping to achieve here, guy? Everytime you weakly insult me (or the thread starter) in this thread, you just bump it right back to the top. So hey - keep at it. I enjoy reading these Chris Cornell threads, especially when people like you get bent outta shape about it.

And for the record, I enjoy Carry On. Not quite up to Chris' usual standards, but as a rock album, it's above average at least, and better than Revelations.
    Smokey Robinson constantly looks like he's trying to act natural after being accused of farting.
  • facepollutionfacepollution Posts: 6,834
    And for the record, I enjoy Carry On. Not quite up to Chris' usual standards, but as a rock album, it's above average at least, and better than Revelations.

Not a single song on Carry On is as good as Wide Awake from Revelations.
  • Not a single song on Carry On is as good as Wide Awake from Revelations.

Maybe not - I love that song too - but as an album, I feel it's way more consistent. This is probably more to do with the fact that I grew tired of Morello's montonous solos than anything else. That said, I think the one song on Carry On that I'd contend to be up there with Wide Awake is Silence The Voices. I guess I just find the variety of styles on Carry On makes for a more interesting listen than the last AS album, which I found to be very similar to the previous two.
    Smokey Robinson constantly looks like he's trying to act natural after being accused of farting.
    Maybe not - I love that song too - but as an album, I feel it's way more consistent. This is probably more to do with the fact that I grew tired of Morello's montonous solos than anything else. That said, I think the one song on Carry On that I'd contend to be up there with Wide Awake is Silence The Voices. I guess I just find the variety of styles on Carry On makes for a more interesting listen than the last AS album, which I found to be very similar to the previous two.

I just think he was a bit over-reaching with all the different styles, at least Euphoria Morning's songs all sounded like they belonged on the same record, I guess I just feel that the album lacks identity.
  • I just think he was a bit over-reaching with all the different styles, at least Euphoria Morning's songs all sounded like they belonged on the same record, I guess I just feel that the album lacks identity.

I still say that Cornell's best album for a variety of styles (and probably overall) was DOTU. And you're probably right that he was over-reaching. I certainly don't like every song on the album. Finally Forever and Poison Eye usually get skipped. But I think it better that he try a multitude of styles and succeed at most - arguable, I know, but that's my opinion - than continue making hard rock in the Audioslave stencil.

But you made a good point earlier when you said no one's gonna be calling for Your Soul Today at gigs. But no one's calling for Sound of a Gun either. Everyone just wants SG and TotD. And I'm cool with that - at least as a solo artist, he's getting to play those songs now.:p
    I still say that Cornell's best album for a variety of styles (and probably overall) was DOTU. And you're probably right that he was over-reaching. I certainly don't like every song on the album. Finally Forever and Poison Eye usually get skipped. But I think it better that he try a multitude of styles and succeed at most - arguable, I know, but that's my opinion - than continue making hard rock in the Audioslave stencil.

But you made a good point earlier when you said no one's gonna be calling for Your Soul Today at gigs. But no one's calling for Sound of a Gun either. Everyone just wants SG and TotD. And I'm cool with that - at least as a solo artist, he's getting to play those songs now.:p

Yeah but there are a fair few Audioslave songs that are clearly crowd pleasers, like Cochise, Like a Stone etc. I'm certainly not giving up hope on him as an artist, I just wish he had taken more time with the record and crafted a masterpiece - which he is certainly capable of.
  • Yeah but there are a fair few Audioslave songs that are clearly crowd pleasers, like Cochise, Like a Stone etc. I'm certainly not giving up hope on him as an artist, I just wish he had taken more time with the record and crafted a masterpiece - which he is certainly capable of.

I'd argue that songs like Safe and Sound, Billie Jean and even Silence the Voices will become crowdpleasers once everyone's heard them enough. But yeah, I get the feeling that now his pipes are back on top form, his next album will be one to watch, especially if he keeps his touring band. Maybe one of the problems with Carry On is the changing line-up?
    I'd argue that songs like Safe and Sound, Billie Jean and even Silence the Voices will become crowdpleasers once everyone's heard them enough. But yeah, I get the feeling that now his pipes are back on top form, his next album will be one to watch, especially if he keeps his touring band. Maybe one of the problems with Carry On is the changing line-up?

Totally agree, and those are my favourites from the new album, by the way! The band seem to have a lot of chemistry going on, so it would be cool if he keeps them on board and they record together.

I think a lot of my problem is that I saw him play the day before the record leaked, and he was really on fire, and the album just doesn't capture that energy at all.
  • Totally agree, and those are my favourites from the new album, by the way! The band seem to have a lot of chemistry going on, so it would be cool if he keeps them on board and they record together.

I think a lot of my problem is that I saw him play the day before the record leaked, and he was really on fire, and the album just doesn't capture that energy at all.

Yeah, as much as I like Billie Jean, the studio version is pretty tame compared to the live shows. The solution is obvious: live album, very soon.:D
  • 5 more days untill chris cornells new album comes out and nobody cares!!!!
  • The album's just kinda... meh. Some good songs, some not-so-good ones, and some extremely similar ballads. Cornell really is capable of so much better; very few of these songs can stand up to even the worst of Audioslave tunes. That said... I still love Carry On. :D
  • larslars Posts: 524
    I really shouldn't even bother responding to this...

But! What exactly are you hoping to achieve here, guy? Everytime you weakly insult me (or the thread starter) in this thread, you just bump it right back to the top. So hey - keep at it. I enjoy reading these Chris Cornell threads, especially when people like you get bent outta shape about it.

You suck! Go to your mommy.
    You can´t trust a vegetarian.
  • lars wrote:
    You suck! Go to your mommy.

That's... That's just excellent. :rolleyes:
  • dharma69dharma69 Posts: 1,275
    Because there just aren't nearly enough opinions floating about in here, I shall give you mine...which I've probably already done once or twice...

Safe and Sound
    Disappearing Act
    Killing Birds
    Silence The Voices (because it's dead on for the times)

Those are the songs that, to my ears, dig to his usual depth, lyrically. As a whole package, yes, this album is a bit of a hodgepodge: the up tempos, the country-esque slide guitars, the soul crooning, the adult contemporary love songs, the poppy. "You Know My Name" has absolutely no place here and throws me off completely, but I accept it because I wouldn't have it otherwise. Opening the album with "No Such Thing" somewhat sets the listener up for failure because nothing else on the album sounds as raucous as that song. He's got a fine line to balance on: garnering new fans that will want to see and hear him, all the while holding on to all of you "old-timers" who hear him with Soundgarden/TOTD/EM/Audioslave ears.

So yes, the musical edges have softened and so has the existential darkness but I think we all can say that we've heard worse. Much, much worse. I like Carry On enough to buy it when it's released but my affections are conditional:

I'm still betting on the fact that his musical fire is intact and that he knows that he can do better and that he will. Hopefully this is just what he's got to experiment through in order to get musically "there"...wherever "there" is.
    "I'm here to see Pearl Jam."- Bono

...signed...the token black Pearl Jam fan.

FaceSpace
  • here it will be released at 06/29...and that's called globalization...
    i'm a little bit scared because so many of you say its bad but it was the same with revelations and i also liked that after a certain time...
    i have not listened to the songs yet, just know you know my name and this incredible billie jean version from sweden...
    but nevermind, i'll buy it anyway, maybe i'll be disappointed, maybe not
    "now i've got room to spread my wings and my messages of love...yeah love was my drug but that's not what i died of"

"I don't wanna think, I wanna feel"

"Go then, there are other worlds than these!" - Jake Chambers

09/02/2005 Vancouver
    09/23/2006 Berlin
    06/21/2007 Düsseldorf
  • Mo69Mo69 Posts: 24
    Plenty of singers get past their angst and get married and settle down, and still manage to write songs that have depth. And why else would those songs be on there?

Yeah but this is the equivalent of him first turning in a masterpiece, then turning in a finger painting! Ok that might sound harsh, but he is capable of far better. The fact remains, nobody is going to be calling out for Your Soul Today over any of his classics from the past.

PLENTY of singers, but he is not ANY singer, he is Chris Cornell and not one of any other!!
    For me he is special, he has something special and magical, as well as in his songs, in his voice and as on himself, so I cant compare him to any other!! He is unique!! I´m only speaking for me!! I dont feel this special thing at any other artist!!

How can anybody go and call out for Your Soul Today, if the album isnt out yet??? Its natural that they are calling out for the classics, cos this are the songs they know!
    I was on a concert last week and there he played for the first time Killing Birds and the crowd was the same way thrilled like on the classics!!

Anyways, I understand and respect your point of view!!
  • pirlo21pirlo21 Posts: 534
    Bought the album last week.
    I'm guilty, like everyone else, it seems of expecting 'Loud Love' or 'Outshined' each time I listen. That way I get disappointed.
    But, if I just listen to it as 'Euphoria Morning Pt 2', I enjoy it a lot more.
    It's certainly growing on me. But I can't help thinking it's a hastily put together album. It doesn't seem to flow as an album.
    Most of the songs sound great on their own, but as an album? I'm not sure.

But this is a guy who's been making music for over 20 years. It's great that his sound has evolved. I think we'd be more critical if he was still churning out the same sound year after year.
    Cymru Am Byth

PJ albums, at the moment!! -
    1,Vs 2,Vitalogy 3,No Code 4,Yield 5,Ten 6,Backspacer, 7Pearl Jam 8,Binaural 9,Riot Act.
  • DOSWDOSW Posts: 2,014
    I'm with most people who are for the most part let down by the album.

I must say though, that "Silence the Voices" is an amazing song.
    It's a town full of losers and I'm pulling out of here to win
  • pjoasisrulepjoasisrule Posts: 3,412
    You would think Chris Cornell was the reincarnation of God with how you people on this forum talk about him, I am starting to think you guys like him more than Eddie.
    Alpine Valley 2000
    Summerfest 2006

"Why would they come to our concert just to boo us?" -Lisa Simpson
    Mo69 wrote:
    PLENTY of singers, but he is not ANY singer, he is Chris Cornell and not one of any other!!
    For me he is special, he has something special and magical, as well as in his songs, in his voice and as on himself, so I cant compare him to any other!! He is unique!! I´m only speaking for me!! I dont feel this special thing at any other artist!!

How can anybody go and call out for Your Soul Today, if the album isnt out yet??? Its natural that they are calling out for the classics, cos this are the songs they know!
    I was on a concert last week and there he played for the first time Killing Birds and the crowd was the same way thrilled like on the classics!!

Anyways, I understand and respect your point of view!!

OH COME ON! It's not terrible, but by no stretch is it amazing, yes it has some good stuff, but I can't believe anyone who owns ANY of his previous records, thinks this ranks up there. I'm absolutely shocked that I feel this way about it, and never in a million years thought I would be making any disparaging comments about his work, hell he's been my favourite singer forever, but a lot of this album is just unremarkable.

I remember reading an interview with Cornell around the time Audioslave's first album came out, and he basically said "I guess I always liked to be on stage and have people watch me, and I still need that attention". I'm sure he's a nice guy, but there's no doubting that there is a major ego at play there, and in my view it's that ego that's allowed him to produce such an obvious, mainstream, middle of the road album. Hardly any of it taps into the stark beauty and complexity of Euphoria Morning. I don't expect EM pt. 2, but I would at least expect that same passion and will to create something truly unique.
    OH COME ON! It's not terrible, but by no stretch is it amazing, yes it has some good stuff, but I can't believe anyone who owns ANY of his previous records, thinks this ranks up there. I'm absolutely shocked that I feel this way about it, and never in a million years thought I would be making any disparaging comments about his work, hell he's been my favourite singer forever, but a lot of this album is just unremarkable.

I remember reading an interview with Cornell around the time Audioslave's first album came out, and he basically said "I guess I always liked to be on stage and have people watch me, and I still need that attention". I'm sure he's a nice guy, but there's no doubting that there is a major ego at play there, and in my view it's that ego that's allowed him to produce such an obvious, mainstream, middle of the road album. Hardly any of it taps into the stark beauty and complexity of Euphoria Morning. I don't expect EM pt. 2, but I would at least expect that same passion and will to create something truly unique.

You see, thats the different perception, many people dont like Revelations, they hate it, I like this album, so we could discuss about it for days, weeks and month!! I know what you wanna tell me with this what you wrote before and I understand your view!!

Do you have the album yet??? Have you heard it for more times??

I didnt liked it too, if I heard this the first time, but it grows on me and now I love it!!

And before you say now, an album must make boom at the first listen, then I say to you, if an album grows on me, then I have it in my heart forever and still can listen to it for years, without getting boring!! But if I hear songs I get immediately in my head and like them, then its only for a short time and I can never listen to them, this are fast moving songs for me!!

Its a real extensive topic and I think we could write hundred of pages about this delicate topic!!!
  • Couldn't even get the track order right. I mean WTF Chris?
  • deadnotedeadnote Posts: 1,678
    sounds good

i have a lot of catching up to do

i think im gonna retire from performing

and just listen all day
    set your laughter free

dreamer in my dream

we got the guns

i love you,but im..............callin out.........callin out
    Mo69 wrote:
    You see, thats the different perception, many people dont like Revelations, they hate it, I like this album, so we could discuss about it for days, weeks and month!! I know what you wanna tell me with this what you wrote before and I understand your view!!

Do you have the album yet??? Have you heard it for more times??

I didnt liked it too, if I heard this the first time, but it grows on me and now I love it!!

And before you say now, an album must make boom at the first listen, then I say to you, if an album grows on me, then I have it in my heart forever and still can listen to it for years, without getting boring!! But if I hear songs I get immediately in my head and like them, then its only for a short time and I can never listen to them, this are fast moving songs for me!!

Its a real extensive topic and I think we could write hundred of pages about this delicate topic!!!

Of course I have it, and I've listened to it a fair few times, but for me, something is just missing from a lot of the songs. Like I said before, I like songs from various points in his career, from all the different styles he's tried, but the new ones just lack quality and depth - there is nothing deep that's going to reveal itself slowly in songs like Arms Around Your Love, No Such Thing or Your Soul Today they are meat and potatoes rock.
  • yahamitayahamita Posts: 1,514
    I am since I've avoided listening to anything off of it so far. :)

I'd also like him to start touring the Northwest. Then maybe Yahamita will stop scaring me with myspace bulletins :D
    You know it Ricky! hahahahaha I'm still pissed I got hosed out of those tickets, and I will tell him about it too once I get close enough to him! hahaha
    I knew all the rules, but the rules did not know me...GUARANTEED!

Hail Hail HIPPIEMOM

Wishlist Foundation-
    http://www.wishlistfoundation.org
    info@wishlistfoundation.org
    Of course I have it, and I've listened to it a fair few times, but for me, something is just missing from a lot of the songs. Like I said before, I like songs from various points in his career, from all the different styles he's tried, but the new ones just lack quality and depth - there is nothing deep that's going to reveal itself slowly in songs like Arms Around Your Love, No Such Thing or Your Soul Today they are meat and potatoes rock.

You said the new ones lack quality and depth.........maybe you are right, but I think he is only treating his life at the moment, what he is feeling, he do express it in his songs! Now he is maybe happy and he make the lyrics to this, its the story to his life now!! In the past he was down and addictive and he wrote dark lyrics!!!

Why should he make the same music as he was feeling down?? And despite he do it still with great passion, if you see him on stage!

I think its not only the artists they are expressing their feelings, they do it in their songs, and normal persons express it perhaps in clothing! So, you can see how the most people are feel up!! If I´m feeling bad, I dont care about my outside, I hear sad music and I´m in bad mood, but if I´m feeling great you can see it immediately!!

Its the same to you too, I think, is there anybody then who is saying, OMG, what is wrong with him/her, yesterday and last week I had deep going conversation with him/her and now he/she is so superficical, I dont like him/she anymore!!!
  • DOSWDOSW Posts: 2,014
    Mo69 wrote:
    You said the new ones lack quality and depth.........maybe you are right, but I think he is only treating his life at the moment, what he is feeling, he do express it in his songs! Now he is maybe happy and he make the lyrics to this, its the story to his life now!! In the past he was down and addictive and he wrote dark lyrics!!!

Why should he make the same music as he was feeling down?? And despite he do it still with great passion, if you see him on stage!

I think its not only the artists they are expressing their feelings, they do it in their songs, and normal persons express it perhaps in clothing! So, you can see how the most people are feel up!! If I´m feeling bad, I dont care about my outside, I hear sad music and I´m in bad mood, but if I´m feeling great you can see it immediately!!

Its the same to you too, I think, is there anybody then who is saying, OMG, what is wrong with him/her, yesterday and last week I had deep going conversation with him/her and now he/she is so superficical, I dont like him/she anymore!!!

Okay, I sincerely apologize in advance for the following outburst, but it needs to be said:

I looked at your profile. Every single one of your posts on this board have been about Chris Cornell and his new album. Seriously, enough already. We don't need people from the CC Street Team coming in here and hyping the album up to be the greatest thing since sliced bread to get us to listen to it. The Chris Cornell fans on here were listening to Carry On anyway, and the non-Chris Cornell fans will never listen to it because of the constant talk about him on this board, which they find heavily annoying.

What I'm saying is, if you're going to be active in threads other than those with Chris Cornell in them, then by all means stay and have fun. But no one is benefiting from the spam from you and your friends on the damn street team.

And stop with the damn exclamation points already. All your posts are pretty much like this: "OMG Chris Cornell is the greatest person who ever lived on the planet and Carry On is the best album ever produced by anyone in the universe!! Hey everyone buy Chris Cornell's new record because maybe if I post enough spam in enough places I might have the slightest chance of POSSIBLY shaking the hand of CHRIS CORNELL!! Then my life would be complete and I'd go home and listen to Dandelion over and over and over again!!"

Damn. If I were any lesser of a Chris Cornell fan I would totally hate the man by now.
    It's a town full of losers and I'm pulling out of here to win
  • muppetmuppet Posts: 980
    I agree with the above poster. As I'm sure I've said many times before, I'm a huge Chris Cornell fan but I think this whole "post on as many internet boards as possible" as part of the Street Team has completely backfired and just turned into annoying and useless advertising, instead of actually persuading people to buy the album.

And for fucks sake, yes, lay off the exclamation marks. You sound like a 12 year old girl.
    Yeah I was all set to join up with the street team and start praising the album left, right and centre - til I heard it, and couldn't bring myself to talk enthusiastically about it, when I knew it left me feeling pretty short-changed.
  • dharma69dharma69 Posts: 1,275
    DOSW wrote:
    Okay, I sincerely apologize in advance for the following outburst, but it needs to be said:

I looked at your profile. Every single one of your posts on this board have been about Chris Cornell and his new album. Seriously, enough already. We don't need people from the CC Street Team coming in here and hyping the album up to be the greatest thing since sliced bread to get us to listen to it. The Chris Cornell fans on here were listening to Carry On anyway, and the non-Chris Cornell fans will never listen to it because of the constant talk about him on this board, which they find heavily annoying.

What I'm saying is, if you're going to be active in threads other than those with Chris Cornell in them, then by all means stay and have fun. But no one is benefiting from the spam from you and your friends on the damn street team.

And stop with the damn exclamation points already. All your posts are pretty much like this: "OMG Chris Cornell is the greatest person who ever lived on the planet and Carry On is the best album ever produced by anyone in the universe!! Hey everyone buy Chris Cornell's new record because maybe if I post enough spam in enough places I might have the slightest chance of POSSIBLY shaking the hand of CHRIS CORNELL!! Then my life would be complete and I'd go home and listen to Dandelion over and over and over again!!"

Damn. If I were any lesser of a Chris Cornell fan I would totally hate the man by now.
    That was righteous.

I'm getting a little tired of the man, myself and I say this as a Chris Cornell fan.

Hell, he's probably a little sick of himself by now with all of this.
    "I'm here to see Pearl Jam."- Bono

...signed...the token black Pearl Jam fan.

FaceSpace