Options

Toadies - No Deliverance

Comments

• Options
    anothercloneanotherclone Posts: 1,688
    I just bought No Deliverace. I'll be sitting down for a listen in about an hour.

*edit* Just listened to So Long Lovely Eyes...I like the use of "fucking" in this song. I think I'm falling in love all over again.

*edit again* This is easily one of my top albums of the year.
  • Options
    primussucksprimussucks Posts: 2,344
    Awesome record!!!! Love the classic rock sound. PJ needs to do this, more of a classic rock sound, meaning more Mike solo's!!!
    Summerfest 7/8/95
    Missoula 6/20/98
    Alpine Valley 6/26/98 & 6/27/98
    Alpine Valley 10/8/00 
    Champaign 4/23/03
    Alpine Valley 6/21/03
    Missoula 8/29/05
    Chicago 5/16 & 17/06
    Grand Rapids 5/19/06
    Summerfest 6/29/06 & 6/30/06
    Tampa 6/12/08
    Chicago 8/23/09
    Indy 5/7/10
    Alpine Valley x2 2011
    Wrigley 2013
    Milwaukee 14
    Telluride 16
  • Options
    Brain Of EBrain Of E Posts: 499
    red mos wrote:
    The band takes pics and meets all the fans after the show, so you will get your stuff signed. (They have done this everytime I have seen them). Only one time, did the Toadies not sign stuff, but it was 10,000 drunk assholes at a st Patricks day party and security was being ridiculous. Everytime, I saw the Burden Brothers they always signed stuff though and the last two times the Toadies did. Houston was lucky enough to get an acoustic set live at hard rock cafe' last time as a pre show.

hey red mos, how long after the show's over do they come out to sign stuff, i'm thinking about taking something.
    Down in the hole, Jesus tries to crack a smile beneath another shovel load.
  • Options
    red mosred mos Posts: 4,953
    Lukin Fan- The show in Tallahassee is still pending. I think it probably will happen. It takes alot of time when booking shows, and shows are being booked everyday I'm sure as Buzzfest just popped up 3 or 4 days ago. I will notify you as soon as I know its been officially confirmed- hopefully it will be. I will have a review of tonights show in here when I get back. :D
    PJ: 10/14/00 06/09/03 10/4/09 11/15/13 11/16/13 10/08/14
    EV Solo: 7/11/11 11/12/12 11/13/12
  • Options
    Brain Of EBrain Of E Posts: 499
    Awesome show last night!!! Here's the set list:

Houston, August 29, 2008

mr. love
    i come from the water
    little sin
    so long lovely eyes
    happy face
    backslider
    sweetness
    nothing to cry about
    away
    push the hand
    i am a man of stone
    no deliverance
    possum kingdom
    mexican hairless
    plane crash
    song i hate
    i burn
    dollskin
    quitter

encore break

paper dress
    tyler

again, it was an awseome show, my only gripe is that i wish the encore was longer.

pretty much the exact same set list from that college station show, except they added dollskin.
  • Options
    Edit: I just realized Brain of E posted an identical review. I just cut and pasted mine from the Toadies board. I'm ready to crash. I'll probably sign up with photo bucket so you guys can see the pics. The on stage pics are probably really shitty.

Hey Rock fans: The Toadies are back and they are on fire. They are truly one of the best live bands touring right now and I am telling you if you have the chance to see these guys in concert do it! One of Texas's greatest bands proves that you can go your separate ways for awhile and do other music endeavors and then come back to pick up right where you left off. The Toadies are a band that have that gift.

I don't even know really where to begin to start on how awesome my evening was personally, but here goes: I want to try to recapture everything for those of you who enjoy my reviews.

Soundcheck: Due to a misunderstanding with the sound guy I almost got booted out before the soundcheck, but Sean (and he kicks major ass) came to the rescue and got everything squared away.

Soundcheck set:
    No deliverance, ZZ top riffs, Unattractive, and Dollskin.

I got to meet Rez first and we talked about the PK show and how awesome it is gonna be.
    Clark and Doni came by next ad signed the new disc as well, and we talked about life and the music business (Cause I am hoping to make that my life career. I love music, and everyone that knows me knows that already.
    Vaden was doing an interview, so I saw him about 10 minutes later. We talked about Lollapalooza and the PK show. Vaden said they didn't get to see any bands cause it was a busy busy weekend for the Toads with interviews and stuff.

The show:
    Mr. Love
    I come from the water
    Little sin
    So long lovely eyes
    Happy face,
    Backslider
    sweetness
    Nothing to cry about
    away
    push the hand
    Possum Kingdom
    Mexican Hairless
    Plane crash
    No deliverence
    song I hate
    Man of stone
    I burn
    Dollskin
    Quitter
    Encore:
    _____
    Paper Dress
    Tyler

The set was identical to the college station one (maybe Identical) Thanks to I amplatonium6 for posting that.

The crowd was alot calmer on the floor than usual. I think Todd said something (I'm paraphrasing this) like Rock out but respect each other" something like that. The pit was mainly down in front maybe like 15 people or so. They were so calm during "Tyler" usually all hell breaks loose.

Ran into Matt from the Lions at the merch booth again, and we went back to the tour bus and the band was signing a few things for those waiting.
    I also wished Vaden a happy Birthday. (It's coming up). Well that was a recap of my 4rth Toadies show. A HUGE thank you to Kirtland Records as always and Sean (Thanks bud, you kick ass).

The openers:
    Riverboat Gamblers: great punkish sound and very energetic set. They kind of sound like AGAINST ME! If I had to compare them to something.

The Lions- For those of you who get to see them with the Toads you are in for a treat. Great classic rock sound. "No Generation" is a must have record. I think they sound like Zeppelin a bit musically and vocally, but I have also read some Rage Against the Machine comparisons- sorry just don't hear the RATM sound in them.

The encore was weird the way they broke it up this time, but the whole show was bad ass. Looking forward to Buzzfest.
  • Options
    LukinFanLukinFan Florida Posts: 29,010
    Thanks guys! Keep the reviews coming :)

I have a friend going to see them this weekend- I so hope that Tallahassee, FL show happens
    www.RLMcDaniel.com

1996: Ft Lauderdale
    1998: Birmingham
    2000: Charlotte, Tampa
    2003: Tampa, Atlanta, Phoenix
    2004: Kissimmee
    2008: West Palm Beach, Bonnaroo, Columbia
    2010: MSG2
    2012: Music Midtown
    2014: Memphis
    2016: Ft. Lauderdale, Miami, Jacksonville, JazzFest
    2018: Wrigley 1, Fenway 1
    2022: Nashville
    2023: Ft. Worth II
  • Options
    Here's the setlist from the Dia de los Toadies shindig. Nice to see "Unattractive" back in the setlist. I read "Jigsaw Girl" was on the setlist for the encore, but they skipped it. Wish I could've gone.

Mexican Hairless
    Happy Face
    Plane Crash
    So Long Lovey Eyes
    Push the Hand
    Away
    Sweetness
    Backslider
    Nothing to Cry About
    Quitter
    Little Sin
    I am A Man of Stone
    No Deliverance
    Possum Kingdom
    Song I Hate
    I Burn
    Dollskin
    Mr Love
    I Come From the Water

Encore:
    Paper Dress
    Flower
    Unattractive
    Tyler

[edit: setlist corrected]
  • Options
    I received my tickets to the Portland OR show on Saturday. I'm totally stoked for this.
  • Options
    I received my tickets to the Portland OR show on Saturday. I'm totally stoked for this.
    you are in for a great show. the new songs sound amazing live as well. :D
  • Options
    it kinda sucks that the setlists are basically the same for every show and the encores are really short. i guess it's because the new bass player only knows those songs and not the whole catalog. glad to see 'unattractive' show up, it would have been awesome to hear that in houston. anyway, hopefully they'll change it up for the 3 austin shows.
  • Options
    Brain Of E wrote:
    it kinda sucks that the setlists are basically the same for every show and the encores are really short. i guess it's because the new bass player only knows those songs and not the whole catalog. glad to see 'unattractive' show up, it would have been awesome to hear that in houston. anyway, hopefully they'll change it up for the 3 austin shows.
    They did soundcheck it, in Houston. Too bad they didn't play it in the set. Hey Brain of E- did you feel that the crowd was alot calmer than usual? I mean they still rocked out hardcore, but did the floor just seem alot more mellow to you this time?
  • Options
    yea, actually i did. usually the crowd goes f*ing crazy, esp during PK or ICFTW, but you're right it was a lot calmer. don't know what that was about.
  • Options
    Duder5kDuder5k Posts: 278
    Their website has a lot of articles saying how it's a "return to their roots" yet I hear other sites saying they're doing something new.

My favorite songs from Rubberneck (well, the only ones I know) are PK of course, and Tyler, Away, and Backslider. I also like Unattractive from The Cable Guy soundtrack (1996). Any songs similar to those on this album?
  • Options
    The Tallahassee, FL is now confirmed!!!!! :D
    www.RLMcDaniel.com

• Options
    Duder5k wrote:
    Their website has a lot of articles saying how it's a "return to their roots" yet I hear other sites saying they're doing something new.

My favorite songs from Rubberneck (well, the only ones I know) are PK of course, and Tyler, Away, and Backslider. I also like Unattractive from The Cable Guy soundtrack (1996). Any songs similar to those on this album?

It's definitely not a Rubberneck II. The new album is much more bluesy/southern and gritty sounding. There are a couple tracks that are similar to Rubberneck even Pre-Rubberneck songs. You can check out three new songs on their myspace page - http://www.myspace.com/toadies

Have you heard anything off their 2nd album - "Hell Below / Stars Above"? It has a sound closer to Rubberneck than their new one.

Also, check out their song, "Paper Dress", on the Crow II soundtrack. You'd probably like that one. **edit: You can find it here: http://www.bwilms.com/temp/Toadies
  • Options
    The new album is a lot of fun...
  • Options
    Duder5kDuder5k Posts: 278
    JoshTX wrote:
    It's definitely not a Rubberneck II. The new album is much more bluesy/southern and gritty sounding. There are a couple tracks that are similar to Rubberneck even Pre-Rubberneck songs. You can check out three new songs on their myspace page - http://www.myspace.com/toadies

Have you heard anything off their 2nd album - "Hell Below / Stars Above"? It has a sound closer to Rubberneck than their new one.

Also, check out their song, "Paper Dress", on the Crow II soundtrack. You'd probably like that one. **edit: You can find it here: http://www.bwilms.com/temp/Toadies
    I'll definitely check that out, thanks a bunch.
  • Options
    Last night's Austin setlist:

Quitter
    Push The Hand
    Little Sin
    Away
    Nothing To Cry About
    Mexican Hairless
    Happyface
    So Long Lovey Eyes
    Backslider
    I Am A Man Of Stone
    No Deliverance
    I Burn
    Jigsaw Girl
    Possum Kingdom
    Song I Hate
    Plane Crash
    Tyler
    Mister Love
    I Come From The Water
  • Options
    LOL, at least they're changing the order of the songs now to make it feel like a different setlist.
  • Options
    09/04 - Austin, TX (Night # 2)

Mexican Hairless
    I Come From The Water
    Plane Crash
    Happyface
    So Long Lovey Eyes
    Push The Hand
    Little Sin
    Away
    No Deliverance
    I Burn
    Quitter
    Song I Hate
    Possum Kingdom
    Flower
    Unattractive
    Backslider
    I Am A Man Of Stone
    Paper Dress
    Mister Love
    Dollskin
    Nothing To Cry About
    Tyler
  • Options
    Some Toadies acoustic pre shows / in store signings. If more get confirmed, I will post here for you.
    From their myspace:

Confirmed In-Store Appearances
    Body: 9/19 - Seattle, WA [ map ]
    Time: 6pm
    Details: Acoustic in-store performance & signing

9/20 - Portland, OR [ map ]
    , Portland, OR 97214
    Time: 3pm
    Details: Acoustic in-store performance & signing

Seeing the Toads play acoustic is usually a rare treat and it sounds cool to hear 2-3 songs from this perspective. Houston got something like this at Hard rock Cafe' back in December right before they totally RAWKED the Verizon next door a few hours later. So if you are in Prtland and Seattle (Tons of people from those areas here :D) If you want to meet the Toads you can here, if they don't sign at the venue.
  • Options
    LukinFan wrote:
    The Tallahassee, FL is now confirmed!!!!! :D

Yep.

11/24 - Tallahassee, FL - The Beta Bar
    http://www.thebetabar.com
  • Options
    JoshTX wrote:
    Yep.

11/24 - Tallahassee, FL - The Beta Bar
    http://www.thebetabar.com
    I'm stoked! :)

Question for those who went to the Possium Lake show- how much were tickets and which bands played before the Toadies? Thanks
    www.RLMcDaniel.com

• Options
    KDGE Edgefest
    10/25 - Frisco @ Pizza Hut Park

http://www.ticketmaster.com/event/0C00411BDF3DE1A1?artistid=1255311&majorcatid=10001&minorcatid=1

MAINSTAGE:
    Stone Temple Pilots, The Offspring, Staind, Toadies, Papa Roach, Seether, Saving Abel, Ashes Divide, Safety Suite, Drive A

Second Stage:
    Rise Against, Pennywise, Alkaline Trio, Hawthorne Heights, Ludo, Gaslight Anthem, Emery, Aranda
  • Options
    LukinFan wrote:
    I'm stoked! :)

Question for those who went to the Possium Lake show- how much were tickets and which bands played before the Toadies? Thanks

I did not attend the show but tickets were$25 plus a small service fee.

The other bands on the bill were:

Tejas Brothers
    Dove Hunter
    Lions
    The Backsliders (Not a Toadies cover band)
    and Toadies
  • Options
    red mos wrote:
    I did not attend the show but tickets were$25 plus a small service fee.

The other bands on the bill were:

Tejas Brothers
    Dove Hunter
    Lions
    The Backsliders (Not a Toadies cover band)
    and Toadies
    perfect- thank you!
    www.RLMcDaniel.com

• Options
    The "No Deliverance" vinyl is now on-sale! Get some!

http://www.kirtlandrecords.com/store.htm
  • Options
    Has anyone got the cover of "A Forest" that was on the itunes release?