Options

Toadies - No Deliverance

Brain Of EBrain Of E Posts: 499
edited October 2008 in Other Music
anyone listen to this yet?
Down in the hole, Jesus tries to crack a smile beneath another shovel load.
Post edited by Unknown User on

Comments

• Options
    Duder5kDuder5k Posts: 278
    What kind of sound are they going for on this new one? I heard it wasn't at all similar to Rubberneck, which is the only one I'm actually familiar with.
  • Options
    i just put it on, so far pretty good, sounds similar to HB/SA sort of.
  • Options
    red mosred mos Posts: 4,953
    It's an excellent album. I'm kind of biased though cause they are like one of my favorite bands (Love them just as much as pj).

It does not sound like Rubberneck or Hell Below stars above to me. The riffs are heavier sounding, but Clark's guitar sound and solos are alot more classic rock sounding this time around. "Hell in high water" reminds me of either "Radar Love" by Golden earing, and a little bit like "Back in the saddle" by Aerosmith. It's one of the best tracks on the album. The whole album is excellent. "So long, Lovely eyes" is quickly becoming the new Toadies die hard favorite it seems and with great reason.

The album does have songs that have the heavy punch of Rubberneck and Hell Below stars above a little bit but not as much.
    Vaden has always been about making a new record a little different than the last. It was the same way with the Burden Brothers albums. Both those albums have the rock and roll in your face punch, but yet are entirely different.
    If you are a Toadies fan it is a must have. I'd even reccommend to someone who is just a rock and roll fan. It's one of the best albums of 2008.
    PJ: 10/14/00 06/09/03 10/4/09 11/15/13 11/16/13 10/08/14
    EV Solo: 7/11/11 11/12/12 11/13/12
  • Options
    I haven't really listened to it completely... yet. all the songs are sounding awesome, so far "nothing to cry about" is a stand out, pure rocking out on that track. this album is gonna be on repeat for at least a month. i can't wait to hear these songs live.
  • Options
    pjl44pjl44 Posts: 8,405
    On first listen, it's pretty solid. I really like One More.
  • Options
    Brain Of E wrote:
    I haven't really listened to it completely... yet. all the songs are sounding awesome, so far "nothing to cry about" is a stand out, pure rocking out on that track. this album is gonna be on repeat for at least a month. i can't wait to hear these songs live.
    I hear ya! Verizon wireless is gonna be going crazy on the floor. There is a you tube vid of "so long lovely eyes" from the NYC show that is pretty sweet.
  • Options
    JoshTXJoshTX Posts: 22
    pjl44 wrote:
    On first listen, it's pretty solid. I really like One More.

Agreed, "One More" is my current favorite. btw, did anyone buy the iTunes version? I'm trying to find their Cure cover of "A Forest".
  • Options
    Brain of E- Did you get a chance to listen to the whole thing yet? If so, overall what did you think? It's like everytime I listen I have a new favorite! :D
  • Options
    I have to give it a real good listen tonight or tomorrow...I've only been able to have it on the background and I've also been listening to a few other new records over the past few days. There were a few things I heard that I liked immediately, a few that sounded a little off to me though.

Red Mos, even with just a glancing listen, I agree with you about the riffs and solos. Loving that!

The thing I'm most excited about is updating the Toadies/Burden Brothers compilation that I've been playing to death for years - it never gets old (and the last BB album provided some great additions!).
    <a href="http://www.shawnsmithsinger.com">Shawn Smith</a> / <a href="http://www.thebandbrad.com">Brad</a&gt; / <a href="http://www.allhailthecrown.com">All Hail the Crown</a> / <a href="http://www.satchelpartnership.com">Satchel</a&gt;

(Shawn Smith's official website, but not Thee Shawn Smith)
  • Options
    red mos wrote:
    Brain of E- Did you get a chance to listen to the whole thing yet? If so, overall what did you think? It's like everytime I listen I have a new favorite! :D

yea, i've listened to it all the way through about 10 times now. You're right everytime there's a new favorite. He's kind of reminding me of how Eddie Vedder always writes a song about driving away. Seems like Todd always writes a song about the girl that broke his heart and he's super pissed at her. (Quitter, Joey, Let's Go, Jigsaw Girl and now I am a man of Stone). Anyway, it's really an awesome record. My only complaint is that both the album and the song "I want your Love" are too short.
  • Options
    weekapaug19weekapaug19 Posts: 2,279
    still waiting for it in the mail
  • Options
    Toadies Live Performance & CD Signing @ Hollywood Virgin Megastore
    Date: Thursday September 11, 2008
    Time: 6:00 pm

Description: Toadies are back with a brand new album titled “No Deliverance.” They will be performing songs off of their new album and if your purchase a CD here, you will get a wristband to have your CD signed after the performance.
  • Options
    MLC2006MLC2006 Posts: 861
    I have listened through it one time. so far, I don't think it's as good as the previous 2 albums. the music is the same, but I don't think Todd's singing is as good and the lyrics aren't as clever. it seems rushed.

"So Long Lovey Eyes" and "Song That I Hate" are the two standouts for me. Song that I Hate has the "Tyler"/"Dollskin" feel that I like. "Hell In High Water" (I think) has the "I Come From the Water" feel.

It's ok, and I'm going to listen to it some more. but the other two albums are alltime classics and I think the lyrics on this one are not as good.
  • Options
    just listened to it once, but its pretty bland to me. nothing like PK . i agree his voice and the lyrics are definitely off. maybe it will grow on me...
  • Options
    LukinFanLukinFan Florida Posts: 29,025
    JoshTX wrote:
    Toadies Live Performance & CD Signing @ Hollywood Virgin Megastore
    Date: Thursday September 11, 2008
    Time: 6:00 pm

Description: Toadies are back with a brand new album titled “No Deliverance.” They will be performing songs off of their new album and if your purchase a CD here, you will get a wristband to have your CD signed after the performance.
    hollywood, cA?
    www.RLMcDaniel.com

1996: Ft Lauderdale
    1998: Birmingham
    2000: Charlotte, Tampa
    2003: Tampa, Atlanta, Phoenix
    2004: Kissimmee
    2008: West Palm Beach, Bonnaroo, Columbia
    2010: MSG2
    2012: Music Midtown
    2014: Memphis
    2016: Ft. Lauderdale, Miami, Jacksonville, JazzFest
    2018: Wrigley 1, Fenway 1
    2022: Nashville
    2023: Ft. Worth II
  • Options
    LukinFan wrote:
    hollywood, cA?

Has to be. We never get that lucky. We do, after all, live in florida.
  • Options
    Has to be. We never get that lucky. We do, after all, live in florida.
    Well, hey at least you got pearl jam this summer. They may not have played your city (I don't know if they did). But they decided to give us in Texas the big F U again. (Sucks too, cause Ed has a sister that lives here in Houston), so living in Florida can't be that bad :p. But I will admit, another favorite band of mine, (Love then as much as pj.... Toadies), have taken good care of us over the last year. I can't wait till next week. :D, I love pj, but I'm still like wtf :( regarding live shows.
  • Options
    i take back what i said. it is growing on me a lot. some crap, but there is some good stuff.

kind of a QOTSA thing going on.
  • Options
    LukinFan wrote:
    hollywood, cA?

Yes.
  • Options
    08/23 - College Station, TX - Northgate Music Fest

Mister Love
    I Come From The Water
    Little Sin
    So Long Lovey Eyes
    Happy Face
    Backslider
    Sweetness
    Nothing To Cry About
    Away
    Push The Hand
    No Deliverance
    Possum Kingdom
    Mexican Hairless
    Plane Crash
    Song I Hate
    I Am A Man Of Stone
    I Burn
    Quitter

encore:

Paper Dress
    Tyler
  • Options
    JoshTX wrote:
    08/23 - College Station, TX - Northgate Music Fest

Mister Love
    I Come From The Water
    Little Sin
    So Long Lovey Eyes
    Happy Face
    Backslider
    Sweetness
    Nothing To Cry About
    Away
    Push The Hand
    No Deliverance
    Possum Kingdom
    Mexican Hairless
    Plane Crash
    Song I Hate
    I Am A Man Of Stone
    I Burn
    Quitter

encore:

Paper Dress
    Tyler
    Nice! Thank you for posting!
    www.RLMcDaniel.com

• Options
    Toadies have also been added to Buzzfest for October 26th in Houston, so they will be coming back just two months later.

Only shitty part is they are playing the mainstage for 45 minutes! I wish they were headlining. Hell they headlined Buzzfest 96. The rest of the line up doesn't interest me much. The Offspring are headlining again (they headlined in 2001). It would be cool to see them I think but really I don't like anything they have done after "ixnay on the hombre." Do they even play stuff from "smash" or do they just sort of half ass it now. (I mean, just have an attitude like "Let's get these songs over with" so they can concentrate on new stuff. Should I pay an outrageous ticket price (I'm expecting about 40 face for lawn) to see the Toads play 45 minutes?
  • Options
    red mos wrote:
    Toadies have also been added to Buzzfest for October 26th in Houston, so they will be coming back just two months later.

Only shitty part is they are playing the mainstage for 45 minutes! I wish they were headlining. Hell they headlined Buzzfest 96. The rest of the line up doesn't interest me much. The Offspring are headlining again (they headlined in 2001). It would be cool to see them I think but really I don't like anything they have done after "ixnay on the hombre." Do they even play stuff from "smash" or do they just sort of half ass it now. (I mean, just have an attitude like "Let's get these songs over with" so they can concentrate on new stuff. Should I pay an outrageous ticket price (I'm expecting about 40 face for lawn) to see the Toads play 45 minutes?
    Hey Red Mos, heard anything about any more Toadies shows in Florida- maybe Tallahassee, FL? :)
    www.RLMcDaniel.com

• Options
    the new album should be kickass. haven't heard it yet, but i saw them last month at the Bowery Ballroom in NYC, and they played a handful of new songs. They rock really hard.
    Here's one that I videoed. It was really hard to stand still.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=yVlAvdQxuX4&feature=email

Can't wait to see them at Webster hall in November!
    peace
    "Find myself singing the same songs every day....
    ones that make me feel good when things behind the smile ain't ok...." -Hoon
  • Options
    I'm lovin' the new CD so far. Glad to have them back (not that there was anything wrong w/ the Burden Brothers).
  • Options
    anothercloneanotherclone Posts: 1,688
    A friend of mine is hounding me to see them next month in Portland. I'm only familiar with Rubberneck. Which I think kicks major rock ass.

What are their live shows like?
  • Options

their live shows are AWESOME. This will be my 8th time going to their show. Great energy, crowd interaction and spot on performances. Even if you're not familiar with their other albums, i guarantee you will be blown away.
  • Options
    A friend of mine is hounding me to see them next month in Portland. I'm only familiar with Rubberneck. Which I think kicks major rock ass.

Their live shows are better than their albums, not to say their albums are great, cause they are. But, their live show kicks ass. And they're playing pretty much all of Rubberneck on this tour. Do yourself a favor and pick up their other two albums - "Hell Below/Stars Above" and "No Deliverance". Also, track down their soundtrack songs, especially "Paper Dress"; it's on the Crow: City of Angels soundtrack.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Toadies#Discography
  • Options
    anothercloneanotherclone Posts: 1,688
    Brain Of E wrote:
    their live shows are AWESOME. This will be my 8th time going to their show. Great energy, crowd interaction and spot on performances. Even if you're not familiar with their other albums, i guarantee you will be blown away.

Cool. It's even a Saturday night. I'm not sure how much better that is going to get.
  • Options
    Cool. It's even a Saturday night. I'm not sure how much better that is going to get.
    The band takes pics and meets all the fans after the show, so you will get your stuff signed. (They have done this everytime I have seen them). Only one time, did the Toadies not sign stuff, but it was 10,000 drunk assholes at a st Patricks day party and security was being ridiculous. Everytime, I saw the Burden Brothers they always signed stuff though and the last two times the Toadies did. Houston was lucky enough to get an acoustic set live at hard rock cafe' last time as a pre show.