Options

RHCP - One Hot Minute

Comments

• Options
    rhcpjam1029rhcpjam1029 Posts: 1,956
    i thought it was great but it just felt different without john frusciante on it though.
    Beavis: All my friends are brown and red? What does that mean?
    Butthead: It means that his friends are like turds and that they like suck.
    Beavis: Heh heh. Oh yeah. Yeah! Get those spoons out of my face before I shove them up your butt!
    Butthead: Huh huh.
  • Options
    adam42381adam42381 Kernersville, NC Posts: 2,505
    I think it's a very solid album and better than most everything that's come after it.
    I wish I was as fortunate, as fortunate as me.
    I didn't think One Hot Minute was their best, but it certainly wasn't their worst. Personally, I'll always be a fan of Blood Sugar Sex Magik, and I thought Stadium Arcadium rocked!
    "Darth Vader would say 'Impressive'."

-Eddie Vedder

6/24/06 Cincinatti, Ohio
    6/14/08 Manchester, Tennessee
  • Options
    Those songs ARE the reason i call him boring.

Sometimes, when i am feeling rebelious, i listen to bands other than the RHCP. You should give it a whirl sometimes. You'd be amazed at the things other guitarists do.

Could you please just shut the fuck up. Jesus Christ just because you find him boring "because it's rebellious" doesn't mean he is. He has tons of emotion on stage and through many of his songs. Also, because I listen to RHCP you think I have a closed mind to music, please shut the fuck up and quit thinking your better than everyone. I listen to ALOT of music and just because I enjoy Frusciante you assume I listen to the shit they push down teenagers throats on the radio. It's true that RHCP's stuff since By The Way is a bit more pop and mainstream but it's still 10x better than the shit My Chemical Romance and Buckcherry comes out with.
  • Options
    yosi1yosi1 Posts: 3,272
    It's true that RHCP's stuff since By The Way is a bit more pop and mainstream but it's still 10x better than the shit My Chemical Romance and Buckcherry comes out with.

Just because one thing is better than something else that is shitty, doesn't make it good in and of itself.
    you couldn't swing if you were hangin' from a palm tree in a hurricane.
  • Options
    Oh god. Someone mentioned the now "legendary" Frusciante "emotion" on stage. Look, anyone can play one note and bend it for 5 minutes with their mouths wide open in a look of pain. It doesn't require talent. The man is a pretty good songwriter, I'll give you that, but he's one of the sloppiest guitarists around today, with some of the worst solos. Stay in the studio John.
  • Options
    South of SeattleSouth of Seattle West Seattle Posts: 10,724
    It's a good album, not their best but good. I love Walkabout and Transcending the most from this effort.

I personally enjoy the Newer Chili's stuff as well. I like how they have added a lot more harmonies to the music. People might call that "Pop" sounding, oh well. Pop can be good if done right. Just listen to the Albert Hammond Jr. Album.

My only real complaints with RHCP are their live shows (never saw one that impressed me) and they singles that they release. I swear they pick the lamest songs for their singles. Although the only times I've seen them they had Navarro, and that Arik Marshall guy played when I saw them at the 1st Tibetan Freedom show.
    NERDS!
  • Options
    I never really thought they were all that live, ive seen em a fair few times and only once was it anything to write home about and for that i give credit to frusciante.

Whatever you think of his playing, i think its safe to say he makes a huge contribution to the band.

Regardless of that, I love one hot minute, its a quirky record that doesnt get enough love
  • Options
    Could you please just shut the fuck up. Jesus Christ just because you find him boring "because it's rebellious" doesn't mean he is. He has tons of emotion on stage and through many of his songs. Also, because I listen to RHCP you think I have a closed mind to music, please shut the fuck up and quit thinking your better than everyone. I listen to ALOT of music and just because I enjoy Frusciante you assume I listen to the shit they push down teenagers throats on the radio. It's true that RHCP's stuff since By The Way is a bit more pop and mainstream but it's still 10x better than the shit My Chemical Romance and Buckcherry comes out with.

that was really mean.

do you talk to everyone like that who has a differing opinion?
    You can't spell "dumb" without DMB
  • Options
    Peter CPeter C Posts: 237
    One hot Minute is a cracking album,shame they never play any of it live anymore. Anyone know why??
    London 1996 Cardiff 2000 Paris 2006 and London 2007.
  • Options
    My least fave RHCP album...Dave Navarro did not fit right. This album needed Fruiscante...still a pretty decent album though.

I agree 100%. It was a solid effort....but Fruiscante's playing defines the Chili Peppers for me.
    "It's all happening"
  • Options
    Peter C wrote:
    One hot Minute is a cracking album,shame they never play any of it live anymore. Anyone know why??

"John doesn't want to" is always what i have heard.

He also likes to ignore most of Hillel's work. and his own earlier material.

It must be awesome having a guitarist who refuses to play 90% of your catalog.

a 20 year career and the fans get a 90 minute show consisting of only the newest 3 albums. what a joke. and a ripoff. i paid to see them twice and i will never give them another cent.
  • Options
    Edved82Edved82 Ireland Posts: 1,272
    I'd rather they went out on stage and played One Hot Minute (awesome album) from cover to cover than play anything off Stadium Arcadium (terrible album)

Frusciante has done some excellent solo stuff in the last couple of years, why he persists with the Chili Peppers is a mystery to me. They are done as a creative force.
    "...though my problems are meaningless....that don't make them go away...."
  • Options
    its weird, one hot minute is kind of the forgotten chilis album i feel, however i honestly think its there best album, the song one hot minute is awesome too
  • Options
    SchokiSchoki Posts: 5,072
    Was and still is my favorite album by the Chili Peppers. I nver get tired of listening to it. I´m glad that so many people don´t like it maybe that´s the reason why it´s still fresh to me.
  • Options
    because they've only got better with time. Not as hard, but definately better.

On topic: I recently picked up this album (used). I already had BSSM, Cal, BTW and SA and that early "greatest hits" of crap. I like a few songs, but its definately the worst RHCP album from BSSM to present. I always heard that Dave Navarro was the problem with this album, but I figured it couldn't be that bad. Well, that was exactly right. Navarro totally ruins this album. Glad I bought it used.

BSSM is great but is so different from the last three albums, its like on its own island. Same way that I feel about PJ's Ten. The last three are the best, for sure.
    bombs, dropping down, please forgive our hometown
  • Options
    yeah, everyone knows children are the sole age group incapable of liking albums after a band stops being good.

in fact i just read a study proving such a thing. i think it was done as a collective by Harvard and Yale.
  • Options
    yeah, everyone knows children are the sole age group incapable of liking albums after a band stops being good.

in fact i just read a study proving such a thing. i think it was done as a collective by Harvard and Yale.

I was just thinking the mindset of hard = good usually belongs to younger music fans, but you're right, that isn't always the case. And I can't think of anything that would be "better" about BSSM or OHM compared to the later albums, but thats all just opinion I suppose.
  • Options
    JulienJulien Posts: 2,457

On topic: I recently picked up this album (used). I already had BSSM, Cal, BTW and SA and that early "greatest hits" of crap. I like a few songs, but its definately the worst RHCP album from BSSM to present. I always heard that Dave Navarro was the problem with this album, but I figured it couldn't be that bad. Well, that was exactly right. Navarro totally ruins this album. Glad I bought it used.

BSSM is great but is so different from the last three albums, its like on its own island. Same way that I feel about PJ's Ten. The last three are the best, for sure.
    Open your ears and stop saying stupid things !
    This album isn't bad at all. At least, Kiedis wrote/sang real melodies at this time...
    2006: Antwerp, Paris
    2007: Copenhagen, Werchter
    2009: Rotterdam, London
    2010: MSG, Arras, Werchter
    2012: Amsterdam, Prague, Berlin
    2014: Amsterdam, Stockholm
  • Options
    In my opinion, this album has some of Flea's best bass work, Chad's best drumming and Kiedis's best vocal melodies/lyrics. Plus, the guitaring is immense.
  • Options
    Those songs ARE the reason i call him boring.

Sometimes, when i am feeling rebelious, i listen to bands other than the RHCP. You should give it a whirl sometimes. You'd be amazed at the things other guitarists do.

If you find those songs boring, I just feel sorry for your undeveloped tastes. Let me guess, you define rebellious as loud and with vulgar lyrics - yeah, that's very rebllious - if you're 14.
  • Options
    that was really mean.

do you talk to everyone like that who has a differing opinion?

The guy he was respondint to was being very condescending and bordering on trolling. His response was a little harsh, but I think the other poster warranted it.
  • Options
    I think One Hot Minute is a great album, but I vastly prefer RHCP with Frusciante on guitar. He plays with more soul than anyone else out there. To the guy that said all he does is bend a note for 5 minutes with a pained expression, that's just showing your own musical ignorance.

Those saying the Chili Peppers are done as a creative force need to look up "creative" in a dictionary, because they are more creative now than they have been since their inception. I can't think of too many other bands that combine the melodic style of the Beatles and Beach Boys with the guitar influence of Jimi Hendrix and classic funk sounds like Sly and the Family Stone, plus punk influences like Fugazi. By the way, all the influences I just mentioned are all over Stadium Arcadium, which I consider to be their best album since BSSM. I really dont see how people find songs like She's Only 18, Warlocks, 21st Century, Ready Made, or Turn It Again boring. Even a poppy song like Snow features an incredible guitar riff. Also, only musically ignorant people equate "pop" with boring or bad. Every vocal melody Joey Ramone ever sang was very poppy. It's much more difficult to write a truly memorable pop song than to just make loud noise for three minutes and call it rebellious.
    But I guess being influenced by talented musicians and honing your melodic skills isn't "rebellious".

I also take issue with the guy saying Frusciante is not a great live guitarist. He may not be the cleanest player out there, but neither was Jimmy Page or Jimi Hendrix. I'll take Frusciante's raw emotional style over a clean technical player like Vai or Satriani, or any number of metal guitarists who just play scales at warp speed, any day.
  • Options
    Julien wrote:
    Open your ears and stop saying stupid things !
    This album isn't bad at all. At least, Kiedis wrote/sang real melodies at this time...

your're seriously say he wrote better melodies then than now???? And I should open my ears, come on now. Even if his melodies were great then, his lyrics now are among the very best in the business. You could say their very...... melodic, ya know. Yet the combination of sounds Hendrix78 mentioned, keep this very melodic music very real, IMO.

I really, really like BSSM and always have, but its more raw. They've developped as well as any band, IMO.
  • Options
    g under pg under p Surfing The far side of THE Sombrero Galaxy Posts: 18,135
    My least favorite of their albums.

Peace
    *We CAN bomb the World to pieces, but we CAN'T bomb it into PEACE*...Michael Franti

*MUSIC IS the expression of EMOTION.....and that POLITICS IS merely the DECOY of PERCEPTION*
    .....song_Music & Politics....Michael Franti

*The scientists of today think deeply instead of clearly. One must be sane to think clearly, but one can think deeply and be quite INSANE*....Nikola Tesla(a man who shaped our world of electricity with his futuristic inventions)

• Options

Please give this album another chance. I used to be a huge RHCP fan and this album is easily my favorite. Even though I do prefer Frusciante as a guitarist over Navarro.

I feel that you have to give this album a decent amount of spins to truely enjoy it because it isn't a piece of shit pop album like everything they put out now. I mean... Californiacation, By the Way, & Stadium Arcadium in my opinion are all too poppy and sound just about the same. I think it is the production on the albums. I get disguested thinking about the talent that the peppers have and the fact that they keep putting out these non-creative albums. They all sound too much alike. However, Frusciate has put out great solo albums.

One Hot Minute sounds fresh compared to their last few albums. Oh yeah and no one mentioned the ballad about Kurt Cobain... Tearjerker... great song...
  • Options
    hendrix78 wrote:
    If you find those songs boring, I just feel sorry for your undeveloped tastes. Let me guess, you define rebellious as loud and with vulgar lyrics - yeah, that's very rebllious - if you're 14.

Odd statement coming from a guy who has the name "hendrix" in his name.

You know jimi did nothing but play blues riffs through distortion right? Boring, boring, and more boring. no matter how you slice it.

1. don't question my knowledge of music
    2. don't question my skill at sarcasm. the phrase "rebelious" was meant to poke fun at ANYONE who thinks the RHCP are anywhere near worth listening to.
    3. once again, yes, children are the only ones who think the RHCP are awful. You must be SOOOOOOoooo mature to find "Snow, hey oh, snow, hey oh" to be world-changing.
  • Options
    South of SeattleSouth of Seattle West Seattle Posts: 10,724

You know jimi did nothing but play blues riffs through distortion right? Boring, boring, and more boring. no matter how you slice it.

Wow!

No comment.
    NERDS!
  • Options
    Odd statement coming from a guy who has the name "hendrix" in his name.

1. don't question my knowledge of music
    2. don't question my skill at sarcasm. the phrase "rebelious" was meant to poke fun at ANYONE who thinks the RHCP are anywhere near worth listening to.
    3. once again, yes, children are the only ones who think the RHCP are awful. You must be SOOOOOOoooo mature to find "Snow, hey oh, snow, hey oh" to be world-changing.

AAAaaaannnnnnd...you just lost all credibility with anyone who knows anything about music. Hendrix built on blues riffs and took them to a new place. You can hear eastern influences as well as folk influences (like Bob Dylan) as well as the influence of the soul music he played on the chitlin cicuit all over his music. Miles Davis was heavily influenced by Hendrix, and I think Miles knows a little bit more about music than you do. Once you've completely changed the face of jazz music at least 3 times in your career, you can say you know more than him. I absolutely question your knowledge of music, and I find your "skill at sarcasm" juvenile at best.
  • Options
    KannKann Posts: 1,146
    hmmm, blues riff + distortion: 98% of all modern rock. And hendrix: 98% of all modern rock's influence.
    Rock must bore you
    You have a point