Options

RHCP - One Hot Minute

Brain Of EBrain Of E Posts: 499
edited December 2007 in Other Music
So i'm just sitting at my desk listening to this album on my lunch break remembering much i love it. I just wanted to see what everyone else thought of this album?
Down in the hole, Jesus tries to crack a smile beneath another shovel load.
Post edited by Unknown User on

Comments

• Options
    Brain Of E wrote:
    So i'm just sitting at my desk listening to this album on my lunch break remembering much i love it. I just wanted to see what everyone else thought of this album?
    My least fave RHCP album...Dave Navarro did not fit right. This album needed Fruiscante...still a pretty decent album though.
    Is it so wrong to think that love can keep us safe?
  • Options
    JulienJulien Posts: 2,457
    my favorite RHCP album, definitely. With the time, this is becoming the only RHCP album I love. Some reall good tracks on it. one big mob, aeroplane, my friends.
    They should better have continued with Navarro. It rocked at this time. 100 times better than the shit they did after.
    2006: Antwerp, Paris
    2007: Copenhagen, Werchter
    2009: Rotterdam, London
    2010: MSG, Arras, Werchter
    2012: Amsterdam, Prague, Berlin
    2014: Amsterdam, Stockholm
  • Options
    I would love to have all their albums. I love One Hot Minute, would be nice to go back and listen to it, considering how underplayed its songs have been since Dave left. I was lucky enough to see them to Pea with John at Wembley in 99. I didn't realise the significance of that at the time. The band's last funky (but not last good) album?
    A restaurant with a smoking section is like a swimming pool with a pissing section
  • Options
    My least fave RHCP album...Dave Navarro did not fit right. This album needed Fruiscante...still a pretty decent album though.
    i work with this guy who is a die hard peppers fan. like this guy is like we are with pj. but hes fucked. first off he has a lot of money to blow. so he will go on ebay and buy as many of the same thing be it vinyl or whatever. but thats besides the point.
    he says that ablum dont exist to him becasue Fruiscante is not on it.
    to me thats bs. its like saying no code is shit becasue dave is not on it.

i like the album though.
    Just, not enough.
    I need more.
    Nothing seems to satisfy.
    I said, I dont want it.
    I just need it.
    To breathe, to feel, to know Im alive.
  • Options
    i work with this guy who is a die hard peppers fan. like this guy is like we are with pj. but hes fucked. first off he has a lot of money to blow. so he will go on ebay and buy as many of the same thing be it vinyl or whatever. but thats besides the point.

i like the album though.

Does he think the same about pre-mother's milk?
    A restaurant with a smoking section is like a swimming pool with a pissing section
  • Options
    smarcheesmarchee Windsor, Ontario Posts: 14,539
    It's most definitly the RHCP album that I spin the least. I too and a fan of Frusciante, and I just didn't enjoy Navarro on guitar as much as I thought I would going into this album. There is some stellar tracks, mostly what the other posters mentioned. Tearjerker is sweet, a very nice tribute to Kurt Cobain from Anthony. But my favourite track is Coffee Shop. This is a killer Chili Pepper track. Just put this on and crank it up. You'll enjoy it.
    1998 ~ Barrie
    2003 ~ Toronto
    2005 ~ London, Toronto
    2006 ~ Toronto
    2008 ~ Hartford, Mansfied I,
    2009 ~ Toronto, Chicago I, Chicago II
    2010 ~ Cleveland, Buffalo
    2011 ~ Toronto I, Toronto II, Ottawa, Hamilton
    2013 - London, Pittsburgh, Buffalo
    2014 - Detroit
    2019 - Chicago X 2
  • Options
    Does he think the same about pre-mother's milk?
    nope. he likes all that stuff.
    Just, not enough.
    I need more.
    Nothing seems to satisfy.
    I said, I dont want it.
    I just need it.
    To breathe, to feel, to know Im alive.
  • Options
    lephtylephty Posts: 770
    i loved it when it came out. i think warped was the first single right? i remember listening to the album and thinking why the hell was Aeroplane not the first single.

with frusciante or without, its still a good rock album. whether or not you want to call it RHCP is up to you.

Like how AIC is going through the "its not AIC without Layne". It's still good music and no matter what the name of the damn band is i would probably listen to it.
  • Options
    back when this album came out i wasn't really interested in who the guitarist was, i just wanted to listen to the music and i always thought it was awesome. it's too bad they don't play these songs anymore, i would love to hear "transending" live.
    Down in the hole, Jesus tries to crack a smile beneath another shovel load.
  • Options
    GardenpartyGardenparty Posts: 1,908
    fact: One Hot Minute is the ballzz!

Sure, it doesn't really fit well into the Peppers catalog but I think it was one of the most intersting periods for the band and it resulted in a sweet "rock" record. Now, while still enjoying their new music to a fair extent, they are just kinda lame.

The bass line on transcending sounds so good on the recording!
    “I know this song so well, I can smoke a cigarette, have a drink, brush my teeth, take a shit, and mow the lawn while singing it. But I'll only be doing a couple of those things during this version.”
  • Options
    eyedclaareyedclaar Posts: 6,980
    Brain Of E wrote:

Worst RHCP album ever!
    Idaho's Premier Outdoor Writer

Please Support My Writing Habit By Purchasing A Book:

https://www.createspace.com/3437020

http://www.facebook.com/profile.php?id=100000663025696

http://earthtremors.blogspot.com/
  • Options
    pouch15pouch15 Posts: 436
    I love this album, I also love the picture with the band inside cause Chad look a lot like Will Ferrell!!!!!!!!!
  • Options
    Best album they ever made.

Dave's guitar playing is what made the album. Everything since then has been a bunch of weak pop bullshit without an ounce of rebeliousness or artistry.
    You can't spell "dumb" without DMB
  • Options
    It's got warped, friends and aeroplane on it, doesn't it? I never was a fan of it, but I did like the three songs i mentioned. Navarro, like someone else said, didn't really fit for whatever reason in my opinion. By far my least favorite of the post-Blood Sugar Sex Magik albums
    All I have to do is revel in the everyday....then do it again tomorrow

They say every sin is deadly but I believe they may be wrong...I'm guilty of all seven and I don't feel too bad at all
  • Options
    mensanemensane Posts: 912
    i love this album. dave on guitar gave them life. the newer stuff is boring.
  • Options
    Absolutely love that album. Showcased far better guitaring than Californication did...
  • Options
    yosi1yosi1 Posts: 3,272
    Julien wrote:
    my favorite RHCP album, definitely. With the time, this is becoming the only RHCP album I love. Some reall good tracks on it. one big mob, aeroplane, my friends.
    They should better have continued with Navarro. It rocked at this time. 100 times better than the shit they did after.

I'm exactly the same way. I would go so far as to say that I don't even really like the Chili Peppers, but I think this album is awesome. What's really strange is, that when I went to see the Chili Peppers live, the only person in the band who I found really impressive, and I think is the best musician in the band, is John Frusciante. Go figure.
    you couldn't swing if you were hangin' from a palm tree in a hurricane.
  • Options
    JulienJulien Posts: 2,457
    Best album they ever made.

Dave's guitar playing is what made the album. Everything since then has been a bunch of weak pop bullshit without an ounce of rebeliousness or artistry.
    amen, finally someone agrees with me
    2006: Antwerp, Paris
    2007: Copenhagen, Werchter
    2009: Rotterdam, London
    2010: MSG, Arras, Werchter
    2012: Amsterdam, Prague, Berlin
    2014: Amsterdam, Stockholm
  • Options
    Julien wrote:
    amen, finally someone agrees with me

The only people who don't agree are biased RHCP fans who think that the RHCP Sun rises and sets in John Frusciante's pants.

And he's not a bad guitar player, he's just boring. He has yet to do a single thing that 40,000 other hippies with strats aren't doing as well.

If Flea wasn't there to liven shit up, he would have accomplished nothing. Same with Kiedis.
  • Options
    I'm not sure you can blame John for the change of direction. Dave left because of artistic differences when John wasn't in the band. That said the best thing about a bands albums is the variety between them.
  • Options
    pjfan31pjfan31 Posts: 7,331
    Im over the chillis, i got a few of their albums, but i have deleted so many of their songs from my ipod. Hopefully one day soon, i can bring myself to listen to them again...
    Sydney 11/02/2003
    Sydney 14/02/2003
    Sydney 07/11/2006
    Sydney 18/11/2006
    Sydney 22/11/2009
    EV Sydney 18/03/2011
    EV Sydney 19/03/2011
    EV Sydney 20/03/2011
    Melbourne 24/01/2014
    Sydney 26/01/2014
    EV Sydney 13/02/2014
  • Options
    JordyWordyJordyWordy Posts: 2,257
    i have some live mp3 of most the songs and i was surprised at how good they were live. they were what made me go back and listen to the album again recently. very very very good album. i think Stadium Arcadium is a terrible album
  • Options
    Just to add, I also think Chad Smith's best drumming is on this album. There's just such a good groove going the whole time...

I'm gonna spin this one today.
  • Options
    BrezBrez Posts: 570

i like the album though.

I see what your trying to say, but that was a bad analogy, because John Frusciante IS that band. He writes the music for pretty much EVERY song. A better analogy would be like if PJ came out w/ a new cd and we thought it was shit because Eddie and Stone weren't on it. That is the level of importance Frusciante has to that band.

The Chili Peppers would be nowhere without him IMO...
    And before his first step... He's off again...
  • Options
    One Hot Minute is an amazing album. RHCP haven't made a decent album since in my opinion. I can't beleive no one has mentioned how good walkabout is
  • Options
    I can't beleive no one has mentioned how good walkabout is

Awesome song. I used to have this on tape, and that would be the first song on side two. It would be awesome to just put that on and hear it kick into the intro.
  • Options
    a brilliant album, every post-one hot minute album pales in comparison imo.
  • Options
    AnonAnon Posts: 11,175
    never really liked RHCP but this was the one album i actually had at one point. didn't like it.

anyway, i really surprised to see all the support for One Hot Minute. that is all.
  • Options
    The only people who don't agree are biased RHCP fans who think that the RHCP Sun rises and sets in John Frusciante's pants.

And he's not a bad guitar player, he's just boring. He has yet to do a single thing that 40,000 other hippies with strats aren't doing as well.

If Flea wasn't there to liven shit up, he would have accomplished nothing. Same with Kiedis.

How can you call him boring and listen to songs like Funky Monks, Under the Bridge, If You Have to Ask, Don't Forget Me, Purple Stain, Around the World, Venice Queen. Jesus he has made so many great opening riffs that I can't even name them all. Plus he's an awesome stage presence (he's the reason why I would go see the Chili Peppers).
  • Options
    How can you call him boring and listen to songs like Funky Monks, Under the Bridge, If You Have to Ask, Don't Forget Me, Purple Stain, Around the World, Venice Queen. Jesus he has made so many great opening riffs that I can't even name them all. Plus he's an awesome stage presence (he's the reason why I would go see the Chili Peppers).

Those songs ARE the reason i call him boring.

Sometimes, when i am feeling rebelious, i listen to bands other than the RHCP. You should give it a whirl sometimes. You'd be amazed at the things other guitarists do.