Options

Smashing Pumkins Reunite!!

Comments

• Options
    No not really.............they'd be cool if billy corgan didn't sing like a puss!!!
    "Feelin cocky and strong"

"Tell the captain the boats not safe, we're drowning......turns out, he's the one makin' waves"
  • Options
    Brink wrote:
    No offense... but if it's only Billy and Jimmy Chamberlain... with two other featured players... that's pretty much just Zwan with their old name, is it not?

The Pumpkins first 4 albums were great... the highlight being Siamese Dream..but their live show sucked to high heaven.

Right on...
  • Options
    VeddernarianVeddernarian Posts: 1,918
    Billy Corgan's picture in Billboard looks like Robocop.
    Up here so high I start to shake, Up here so high the sky I scrape, I've no fear but for falling down, So look out below I am falling now, Falling down,...not staying down, Could’ve held me up, rather tear me down, Drown in the river
  • Options
    wrong forum............
  • Options
    Cropduster84Cropduster84 Posts: 1,283
    Machina I was crap but Machina II was amazing.

All their other stuff was amazing too, although I'm afraid I prefer Adore and Siamese Dream to Mellon collie.....
    'The more I studied religions the more I am convinced that man never worshipped anything but himself.' - Sir Richard Francis Burton
  • Options
    two934stwo934s Posts: 2
    For those interested in their last album that was NOT released:

http://www.metrochicago.com/pumpkins/

This is part II of their "Machina" collection, titled "Friends and Enemies of Modern Music". Pretty good stuff. Can't wait for likely Fall '06 and their new release!
  • Options
    HYLAHYLA Posts: 137
    Fuck yes I care.

Machina II woulda been better if the sound quality wasn't so shitty.
  • Options
    funkymonkfunkymonk Posts: 279
    TrAvELAr wrote:
    How is this related to Pearl Jam? Shouldn't this have been posted in other music?

Anyway, I'm as excited about this now as I was six months ago when Billy announced it.

Am I missing something here? This is the Other Music forum and so therefore doesn't have to be related to Pearl Jam.
  • Options
    gtbrown77gtbrown77 Posts: 140
    funkymonk wrote:
    Am I missing something here? This is the Other Music forum and so therefore doesn't have to be related to Pearl Jam.

This was probably posted on The Porch, and then moved to Other Music by the time you posted.

Anyway.....I'm SOOOOOOOOOOOO happy about the fact that SP is recording and planning on releasing an album. It would be great to see James back in the band, but that may or may not happen. I think when it comes down to it, SP was Billy Corgan and Jimmy C. I know you argue that you add two (or three) random people and you get Zwan all over again, but in reality, Billy was writing different songs with Zwan, as well as on his solo record. I think he can get back in the SP frame of mind and release a great record. It'll be the live show in which we'll really miss James.
    "Life is what happens to you while you're busy making other plans."
    -John Lennon
  • Options
    mattmanmattman Posts: 12
    i care. the pumpkins rule
  • Options
    satur9satur9 Posts: 10
    Great news, one of the best bands of the 90's is coming back. Let's hope their new record will be at least as good as their previos ones, and more rocking.
  • Options
    What was so bad live about the Pumpkins? I've always heard mixed reviews on their shows, some saying they were amazing while some say they are terrible. Could someone describe their live show to me perhaps?
  • Options
    One word: Billy. If it was Happy Billy or Rockin Billy, then you got a good show. If it was Pissy Billy then he basically mumbled all the words, was an asshole, and just went thru the motions. I have several boots where he's really into it and the energy that the band puts out in such occasions is incredible.
  • Options
    darthvedder88darthvedder88 Posts: 1,023
    Brink wrote:
    No offense... but if it's only Billy and Jimmy Chamberlain... with two other featured players... that's pretty much just Zwan with their old name, is it not?

The Pumpkins first 4 albums were great... the highlight being Siamese Dream..but their live show sucked to high heaven.

Yeah, but what most ppl don't know is that the Smashing Pumpkins were pretty much just Billy and Jimmy. James and D'Arcy were there to record and play live with them...
    "Darth Vader would say 'Impressive'."

-Eddie Vedder

6/24/06 Cincinatti, Ohio
    6/14/08 Manchester, Tennessee
  • Options
    If you want to see the band at its full splendor live, find the 1996 Rockpalast video. It's a pro-shot vid of a concert in Germany.
  • Options
    The Waiting Trophy ManThe Waiting Trophy Man Niagara region, Ontario, Canada Posts: 12,158
    i thought the pumpkins were great. and billy corgan is a musical genius. they're tough to follow, though. first they kick the drummer out, then they bring him back. then the pumkins split. corgan forms another group, complete with a girl bassist, then they split. now he wants to form the pumkins again, but with 2 different band members than the original line up. wtf? too bad his band members had to get hooked on heroin(drummer) and crack(bass player). i think corgan should just play all the instruments on his albums, and tour with a backing band.
    Another habit says it's in love with you
    Another habit says its long overdue
    Another habit like an unwanted friend
    I'm so happy with my righteous self
  • Options
    geez...some of you people are anal retentive.

wrong forum! wrong forum! you so badly want to be a mod or something. it may very well have been in the wrong forum but it doesn't take 20 of ass clowns to whine about it over and over again. here's a novel idea...just don't read or post in it and it will go away.

fucking teacher's pets...
    If you want to tell people the truth, make them laugh, otherwise they'll kill you.

Man is least himself when he talks in his own person. Give him a mask, and he will tell you the truth.
    -Oscar Wilde
  • Options
    Well word was that Billy was on meth for awhile. But I guess it didn't affect his ability to produce.
  • Options
    whos playing bass?

I belive it's Mellisa Auf De Mar (sp?).
  • Options
    Third best thing to happen this year (behind Radiohead and Pearl Jam's new albums).

looks like it's Mellissa Auf Dem Maur (rawr.) and hopefully James..
    Come on pilgrim you know he loves you..

http://www.wishlistfoundation.org

Oh my, they dropped the leash.

Morgan Freeman/Clint Eastwood 08' for President!

"Make our day"
  • Options
    aBoxOfFear wrote:
    i thought the pumpkins were great. and billy corgan is a musical genius. they're tough to follow, though. first they kick the drummer out, then they bring him back. then the pumkins split. corgan forms another group, complete with a girl bassist, then they split. now he wants to form the pumkins again, but with 2 different band members than the original line up. wtf? too bad his band members had to get hooked on heroin(drummer) and crack(bass player). i think corgan should just play all the instruments on his albums, and tour with a backing band.
    they didn't kick Jimmy out really, he quit to go into rehab then came back when he was ready.

i'm EXTREMELY happy with Miss Auf Dem Maur being on the bill too.. she did play on Machina ya know.. not unfamiliar territory..

who's playing guitar?

"Make our day"
  • Options
    mehtadone wrote:
    What is the source for this rumor?
    yeah it's no rumor.

They've even bought back (or changed it or i dunno what) http://www.smashingpumpkins.com to tell everyone.

it's true. 100%. :)

and i absolutley love Adore and Machina as well as the other albums. you guys are insane.

"Make our day"
  • Options
    AxlUlrichAxlUlrich Posts: 12,652
    i'm EXTREMELY happy with Miss Auf Dem Maur being on the bill too.. she did play on Machina ya know.. not unfamiliar territory..

who's playing guitar?
    wasn't it D'arcy who played on Machina?
    Auf der Maur only recorded some b-sides with the band.
    and yeh Jimmy was kicked out..he din leave.

i hope D'arcy and Iha rejoin too...i sense this album will sound like Gish and Siamese Dream.
    LIVERPOOL FC -18 time League Champions-15 time Charity Shield Holders-7 time League Cup Winners-7 time FA Cup Winners-5 time European Champions-4 time UEFA Cup Winners-3 time European Super Cup Winners-1 time World Super Cup Winners

Walk on with hope in your heart
    YNWA
  • Options
    No offense but if you think this album will sound like Gish/Siamese then you don't really know the Pumpkins that well.
  • Options
    HYLA wrote:
    No offense but if you think this album will sound like Gish/Siamese then you don't really know the Pumpkins that well.
    lol..

i think Corgan has already accepted that his attempts at trying a new sound was a flop..so he will go back to what was successful.
    sadly..Corgan looks to be in this for the wrong reasons..but i dont care as long as i get songs
    LIVERPOOL FC -18 time League Champions-15 time Charity Shield Holders-7 time League Cup Winners-7 time FA Cup Winners-5 time European Champions-4 time UEFA Cup Winners-3 time European Super Cup Winners-1 time World Super Cup Winners

YNWA
  • Options
    Every single Corgan produced release has been very different from its predecessor. He's already on record saying he isn't going to do this as a reunion tour, he wants to put out fresh, innovative tracks.
  • Options
    don't hear much of a difference between Gish and Siamese Dream.

hope this reunion is a long term plan anyways...always look forward to anything Billy does

YNWA
  • Options
    MeddleDealMeddleDeal Posts: 2,547
    I am happy that SP is back together, but I dunno if I would accept half of the band. The band will always be D'arcy, James, Jimmy and Billy. That is the group I grew up with and fell in love w/the music. yeah, I know Billy wrote all the songs for SP, but still, those same people made those albums, from Gish all the way to Machina II.
    ø~ø~ø~ø~ø~ø~ø~ø~ø~ø~ø~ø~ø~
    ~*STONEY PONY all the WAY!*~
    ~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~~*~*~
    "For the world, not for the war"-Neil Finn
  • Options
    7 Kettles7 Kettles Posts: 86
    smashing pumpkins recording a new album = best news of 2006.
    they say god makes problems just to see what you can stand ~ elliott smith
  • Options
    Gish has elements of psychadelia and 80s metal. Siamese Dream doesn't really have any of that. It's a more mature product. It can be dreamy but not in a 60s style like Gish. Songs like Disarm and Luna and Sweet Sweet are no where to be found on Gish either. And Siamese Dream lacks the wild solos of Gish.